#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-03-26

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[5:24] * PeterDie_ (~peterdiet@dietz72m1.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[5:27] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@dietz72m1.lib.ohio-state.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)
[6:49] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:49] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:49] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:49] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:49] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:49] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:49] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[11:26] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-35.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) has joined #duraspace
[12:09] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-35.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)
[12:14] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:50] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-vftmidoxhfkgcbpm) has joined #duraspace
[12:51] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-vftmidoxhfkgcbpm) Quit (Client Quit)
[13:59] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-hoktcxlvpgqevcsw) has joined #duraspace
[14:03] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-hoktcxlvpgqevcsw) Quit (Client Quit)
[14:16] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-nnrqgyyytbfaquvn) has joined #duraspace
[14:16] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-nnrqgyyytbfaquvn) Quit (Client Quit)
[15:08] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-awpomiyhqpgariwn) has joined #duraspace
[16:00] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-awpomiyhqpgariwn) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[16:52] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-rtoyfhgywppavwdq) has joined #duraspace
[16:56] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-rtoyfhgywppavwdq) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[17:21] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-fscyuggiiqguizts) has joined #duraspace
[17:47] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-fscyuggiiqguizts) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[17:48] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-zlurdsqwgttalobg) has joined #duraspace
[18:16] * lo5an (lo5an@conference/code4lib/x-zlurdsqwgttalobg) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[19:11] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <hpottinger> 5 minutes past the top of the hour, anyone want to call us to order?
[20:06] <PeterDie_> tdonohue is at code4lib
[20:06] <hpottinger> the live feed of code4lib is "laser in my eye" awesome right now
[20:07] <mhwood> Must be interesting indeed: someone's laptop there keeps going to sleep.
[20:08] * PeterDie_ does not like lasers in the eyes. Had a meeting with high energy physics people, who's office is a walk through the laser lab, and they didn't give us library folk eye protection. I had eye pain for a few weeks after that
[20:08] <hpottinger> ow
[20:08] <mhwood> "Do not stare into beamline with remaining eye."
[20:08] <hpottinger> it's more of a pain in the ear, sound feed is broken
[20:09] <hpottinger> so, anyway, what do you all want to talk about?
[20:09] <hpottinger> Are we doing a 4.2?
[20:10] <PeterDie_> in terms of #duraspace things, I don't have any updates. I've been busy on server stuff, and writing a grails app that uses quartz scheduling
[20:10] <PeterDie_> ohh right, I have had my student assigned to building a rails frontend to the DSpace REST API
[20:11] <mhwood> Actually I have a note about doing a 3.3. helix84 said there were some fixes that we need to get out, IIRC.
[20:11] <PeterDie_> Its oddly named, but, you can find it at: https://github.com/mkalvas/dspace-hydra-rails
[20:11] <kompewter> [ mkalvas/dspace-hydra-rails · GitHub ] - https://github.com/mkalvas/dspace-hydra-rails
[20:11] <hpottinger> neato
[20:13] <hpottinger> so, this is rails not grails?
[20:13] <hpottinger> ah, .rb files, rails
[20:13] <PeterDie_> i do lots of things. Groovy/Grails is syncing peoplesoft data into ILS, on a scheduled basis (quartz).. This Ruby/Rails app uses DSpace REST to build html UI
[20:14] <hpottinger> any plans to move it from a dev repository to the institutional repository?
[20:15] <hpottinger> (i.e. is mkalvas the canonical version? is probably my real question)
[20:15] <PeterDie_> unlikely in my time frame. mkalvas is my student developer. its hitting kb.osu.edu/rest if that answers a question
[20:17] <PeterDie_> Thus far, its been fun to see if a new student developer, is able to reverse engineer dspace rest api, and build a UI on top of it.
[20:17] * jsherman (a43a1787@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:18] <hpottinger> is "Hydra head" metaphorical or, erm, literal?
[20:20] <PeterDie_> likely more of a typo/misunderstanding. shouldn't have that word, there will be reprimands, no worries
[20:20] <hpottinger> :-)
[20:21] <hpottinger> so, I can stop digging for hydra code, then?
[20:22] <hpottinger> (not likely I'd recognize it if I saw it anyway)
[20:25] <hpottinger> mhwood is quiety working our backlog... we seeeeee you mhwood!
[20:25] <PeterDie_> hey, check out the live demo: http://dspace-rails.herokuapp.com/community/217
[20:25] <kompewter> [ Community ] - http://dspace-rails.herokuapp.com/community/217
[20:25] <PeterDie_> Can't get the index page to load, but you can dive down
[20:26] <hpottinger> home = communities browse
[20:27] <PeterDie_> actual communities should load fine
[20:27] <hpottinger> unstyled, but the community links work
[20:27] <PeterDie_> +collections + items.
[20:27] <PeterDie_> Instead of using an image placeholder, we're using placekitten
[20:28] <hpottinger> kitty cat thumbnails, is that courtesy of "placekitty"?
[20:28] <PeterDie_> someone in my google+ feed shared it, pretty cool dude, can't remember who shared it with me though ;)
[20:28] <hpottinger> lol
[20:28] <hpottinger> +1 kitties
[20:30] <hpottinger> this looks pretty cool, I may have to finally learn something about rails
[20:32] <hpottinger> so, we have plans to do a 3.3, but nothing definite about a 4.2
[20:32] <hpottinger> oh, 5.0, we need an RT
[20:35] <mhwood> 4.2 has ten unclosed issues. Two await code review.
[20:38] <hpottinger> link to issues?
[20:39] <hpottinger> DS-1919?
[20:39] <mhwood> Can't find a way to do that. I used the filter "project = DSpace AND fixVersion = "4.2" AND status != Closed ORDER BY status"
[20:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1919 ] - [DS-1919] Solr Search Empty FilterQuery bug - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:42] <hpottinger> https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=-1&jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%224.2%22%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted)%20ORDER%20BY%20status%20DESC%2C%20updatedDate%20ASC
[20:43] <kompewter> [ Log in - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=-1&jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%224.2%22%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted)%20ORDER%20BY%20status%20DESC%2C%20updatedDate%20ASC
[20:45] <mhwood> I may just go ahead and pull the PR for 1411. There's been no negative comment for nearly two months.
[20:46] <hpottinger> this is probably a better link: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1928?filter=12300
[20:47] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1928?filter=12300
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1928 ] - [DS-1928] OAI-PMH Identify response well-formed but invalid - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:47] <mhwood> That just gives me one issue.
[20:48] <mhwood> Any quick thoughts on DS-1411?
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1411 ] - [DS-1411] uncaught NPE in stats-log-converter -m - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <hpottinger> 1411, I haven't reviewed, but, you're a "trusted developer"
[20:51] <hpottinger> just looked at the PR, looks clean
[20:51] <hpottinger> Travis likes it...
[20:52] <mhwood> It's in 4_x now. What's the procedure for carrying forward to 5.0?
[20:53] <mhwood> Does it need another PR?
[20:54] <hpottinger> we typically start with master and then backport
[20:55] <hpottinger> so we can cherrypick and push to the maintenance branch
[20:55] <mhwood> We have. Someone complained that that was backwards, so I tried it the other way this time, but I'm unclear on how we want to handle applying the patch to two branches.
[20:55] <mhwood> No matter which way we port.
[20:56] <hpottinger> PeterDie_: cherrypick and push to master, or cherrypick and new PR?
[21:00] <hpottinger> It would be nice to just have a single PR to reference for the change, so, I'm inclined to say "just do what we normally do" and cherrypick the change to master and push that back
[21:01] <hpottinger> however, that feels wrong
[21:07] <mhwood> OK, I have a new PR, #512, against master.
[21:08] <hpottinger> sweet!
[21:08] <hpottinger> merge that, too
[21:09] <mhwood> Merged. Issue closed. And then there were nine.
[21:10] <hpottinger> highfive!
[21:10] <mhwood> smack!
[21:12] <mhwood> Got to go, takeout pizza will be waiting.
[21:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:13] <hpottinger> OK, well, https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=12300 is the saved filter I made for 4.2 open issues
[21:13] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=12300
[21:18] <hpottinger> so, to make it kinda/sorta official, I think we're adjourned, but, you know, hang out if you wanna
[21:19] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has left #duraspace
[21:33] * jsherman (a43a1787@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit ()

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.