#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-06-25

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:49] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:49] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:49] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:49] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:49] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:49] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:49] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[11:52] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:32] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:18] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:30] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstimac016.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[19:54] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstimac016.ub.tu-berlin.de) has left #duraspace
[19:56] * mdiggory (~anonymous@cpe-76-176-128-229.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * robint (5eaf588c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * kstamatis (2ebe4609@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers meeting: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-06-25
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-06-25 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-06-25
[20:02] <robint> Hello!
[20:02] <tdonohue> Hi robint!
[20:03] <tdonohue> Looks like we have a slightly larger group this week @ 20UTC...last week's earlier meeting was a bit smaller
[20:03] <tdonohue> We'll still be swapping meeting times though for the time being, just to test things out
[20:04] <robint> I confess I have half an eye on France v Ecuador in the World Cup
[20:04] <tdonohue> aha..yea, understood...in any case, a few notes to get things started
[20:05] <tdonohue> 1) We still are in need of a few good volunteers for our 5.0 Release Team! We have two volunteers so far, hpottinger & PeterDietz. Ideally we'd have 3-5 folks total
[20:06] <tdonohue> As a sidenote...5.0 is looking to have some nice features already lining up, including Mirage 2 (based on Bootstrap) for XMLUI, and ORCID support
[20:07] <tdonohue> 2) As I sent yesterday (to dspace-general), I've posted OR14 DSpace-related session slides/notes to https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/OR2014+DSpace+Sessions
[20:07] <kompewter> [ OR2014 DSpace Sessions - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/OR2014+DSpace+Sessions
[20:07] <hpottinger> the RT reserves the right to resort to conscription, fair warning
[20:08] <tdonohue> So, if you missed OR14, notes & slides are posted (at least for the sessions I was involved with and could obtain slides for...the other sessions should have slides posted to the OR14 website in the near future
[20:09] <robint> A larger number of committers now work for commercial companies rather than universities and I wonder if it is more difficult for them to find the time to be inviolved with a release
[20:10] <tdonohue> Since we had a smaller crowd last week in our IRC meeting, are there any questions/comments that anyone has about discussions/notes/rumors from OR14? Will pause now in case there are any
[20:10] <tdonohue> robint: good point. But, PeterDietz now works at a commercial company (Longsight) and is on the 5.0 RT
[20:11] <tdonohue> But, I still see you point...more and more Committers are working at commercial companies (last I looked, I think Committers are nearly 1/2 commercial and 1/2 universities)
[20:12] <robint> I'm really just searching for an explanation for an obvious shortage of volunteers
[20:13] <tdonohue> If there are any recommendations to change or "incentivize" membership on the Release Team, let me know. We are always able to change our way of doing things, in order to better meet changing needs
[20:13] <hpottinger> ooh, incentives...
[20:13] <mhwood> Things have seemed quieter in general. of late.
[20:15] <tdonohue> yes, I will agree that I've noticed a lack of Committer activity in general.... IRC activity down overall, mailing list activity down... But, there do seem to be a lot of PRs flying in...just not enough folks reviewing, commenting & merging
[20:16] <hpottinger> what's going on out there?
[20:16] <tdonohue> I was mostly "chalking" it up to OR14 though...so, I'm hoping that things will *start* to ramp up now over the Summer
[20:17] <mhwood> We're using Scrum to manage a project here, and daily meetings tend to grab most of my attention for that project. I'm trying for a better balance of activities....
[20:18] <tdonohue> And to be clear though, *developer* activity seems to be up (as I said, lots of PRs, lots of tickets)...it's just our Committer review process that has slowed down some as of late...so maybe it's also time to see if we can find some new Committers to help out
[20:18] <hpottinger> I was just wondering when we last had a new commiter come on board
[20:19] <tdonohue> none in 2014, yet. Last ones were in late 2013, IIRC
[20:19] <hpottinger> Bram in 2013
[20:19] <mdiggory> hi tdonohue we do have activity with kevin and others submitting PR, but we are in sprints for the end of our fiscal year ATM so I would expect a lower amount of activity right now
[20:20] <hpottinger> hey, look, it's mdiggory!
[20:20] <mdiggory> :-)
[20:20] <mdiggory> Yes, trying to keep my chat window open a little more often
[20:20] <tdonohue> mdiggory: good to know. I know that @mire has quite a bit in the pipeline for 5.0, from talking with Bram & Lieven at OR14
[20:21] <robint> I am out of touch but if anyone has any good committer recommendations it would be good to hear
[20:21] <hpottinger> would @mire be interested in helping with the RT? :-)
[20:22] <mdiggory> Kevin will be highly involved with organizing our contributions this year
[20:22] <mdiggory> I'll talk with folks on our side about RT...
[20:22] <tdonohue> sounds good, mdiggory. I was going to ask the same thing
[20:22] <hpottinger> robint: I can think of a few, I'll e-mail them to you later, and mdiggory: too late, Kevin's on my list
[20:23] <robint> mdiggory: loving Mirage2! Credit to the developers
[20:23] <hpottinger> oh, and robint, happy belated birthday
[20:23] <mdiggory> yes, we are glad to see its getting alot of interest.
[20:24] <tdonohue> So, while we're just "chatting".... any other general questions/comments about OR14 or 5.0 or similar? (setting aside next agenda item for a moment more)
[20:24] <robint> hpottinger: trying unsuccessfully to keep it quiet :)
[20:24] <tdonohue> and happy belated birthday, robint :)
[20:25] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:26] <tdonohue> Hearing no other questions/comments. Next agenda item is the 4.2 Bug fix release.
[20:26] <tdonohue> Essentially, we've had a 4.2 in the works for some time (to squash a few more bugs in 4.x)...it'd be nice to try and get this one wrapped up soon, so we can all concentrate on 5.0
[20:27] <tdonohue> Here's the 4.2 ticket status: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11840
[20:27] <kompewter> [ DSpace: 4.2 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11840
[20:28] <tdonohue> 14 are still "unresolved"...but there's already some major fixes on the 4.x branch that'd be nice to get out
[20:29] <mhwood> 5 of those 14 are still available. :-)
[20:29] <tdonohue> 15 total fixes already in, including some memory leak fixes, and other annoying bugs. So, this is a long way of saying, it'd be nice to do a "final push" to get as much in as we can, and just reschedule any "stalled" tickets for 5.0
[20:30] <tdonohue> here's what's already in 4.2: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+4.2+AND+status+%3D+Closed+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
[20:30] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+4.2+AND+status+%3D+Closed+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
[20:32] <tdonohue> Thoughts? Part of me wonders if we need to just set a date...anything "committed" by that date is in 4.2. Anything that is not, is rescheduled for 5.0
[20:32] <hpottinger> wish there were more hours in the day
[20:33] <robint> tdonohue: seems a sensible idea
[20:33] <tdonohue> haha..you said it, hpottinger
[20:33] <mhwood> I just accepted DS-1957. Bug me if I don't get it done quickly.
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1957 ] - [DS-1957] incorrect xml workflow script for oracle - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:35] <hpottinger> gosh, if I could free up a day I actually have an Oracle-based test instance running on our new staging box
[20:37] <tdonohue> So...what's reasonable...deadline of merging/committing by Fri, July 11 (two weeks)?
[20:38] <hpottinger> sounds OK, however, I will be on vacation at that time
[20:38] <robint> +1 Any later and its starting to get into 5.0 territory
[20:39] <hpottinger> any volunteers to pull the lever on 4.2?
[20:39] <tdonohue> hpottinger: as long as you can get your assigned tickets in before your vacation ;)
[20:39] <tdonohue> (hopefully)
[20:41] <hpottinger> interestingly, I read that as "tdonohue: I can pull the lever on 4.2, as long as you can get your assigned tickets in..."
[20:41] <tdonohue> If no one else steps forward, I guess I can pull the trigger on 4.2. Just really want to get this off our "plates" and shipped. (But if someone else has time or inclination, honestly it's a good "test run" if you wanted to just try out a 'mvn release')
[20:42] <robint> I might have the time but I wont know until next week, depends how other things go
[20:42] <hpottinger> robint and tdonohue: see, *never* off the RT ;-)
[20:42] <tdonohue> well, feel free to let me know, robint. Glad to also team up on it, as needed
[20:43] <robint> Its like the mafia, you can't leave!
[20:43] <tdonohue> haha..pretty much.
[20:43] <hpottinger> the release script has improved a bit
[20:44] <tdonohue> yes, it's much better (and more stable/consistent) than it used to be early on
[20:44] <hpottinger> it auto-fills in reasonable values
[20:44] <robint> tdonohue: I'll let you know next week
[20:45] <tdonohue> OK. So, 4.2 -- anything committed *before* July 11 is "in". We'd likely "cut" the release on Fri, July 11 (or maybe Mon, July 14), and announce it early the week of the 14th.
[20:45] <mhwood> If you're using latest Git, you may need to upgrade m-release-p. I had to for 3.3. Otherwise it forgets to commit the version updates.
[20:46] <tdonohue> I can send a 4.2 reminder to dspace-commit about it.
[20:46] <robint> Good call
[20:46] <tdonohue> or rather... dspace-commit / dspace-release
[20:47] <hpottinger> how about you cut the release on Monday?
[20:47] <tdonohue> Fine by me. I don't care much either way what day we cut the release...as long as it's right around that time ;)
[20:48] <tdonohue> Next on the agenda... 5.0! Well, I mostly wanted to note that we need to start to finalize a Release Schedule (which I know is harder without a full RT). Currently, there's a tentative schedule at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:48] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:49] <hpottinger> we could finalize this schedule right now if we had another volunteer....
[20:49] <tdonohue> But, for those who want something into 5.0 -- this is a big HINT: You need to be getting in those PRs BY EARLY October (preferably before then for larger PRs)
[20:51] <tdonohue> The way these tentative dates look right now, there's really NOT much "wiggle room" for PRs. If we push the PR deadline back, we really would risk releasing 5.0 in early 2015
[20:51] <mhwood> September, August or July would be better, if convenient.
[20:51] <hpottinger> as in: big features, we want your PRs now, please
[20:52] <tdonohue> (or at least early versions of big PRs would be nice...something to begin to review & give feedback on.)
[20:54] <tdonohue> I'm gonna leave it at that for today. No other major topics to bring up here. I think the 5.0 Schedule looks reasonable, but if you want more control over it, join the RT! :)
[20:54] <tdonohue> Any other thoughts/comments/questions for today?
[20:55] <robint> Time to sneak off, cheers all
[20:55] * robint (5eaf588c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:55] <hpottinger> re DS-2036, I was thinking we'd need to decide whether it was OK to have a new db upgrade script.... but then I realized we really just need to change an existing DB upgrade script
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2036 ] - [DS-2036] DSpace upgrade with oracle database, no discovery results - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:56] <tdonohue> 2036: yes, if this is going into 4.2, it needs to change the existing 4.x upgrade script. But, it ALSO needs to clearly document the upgrade from 4.1 -> 4.2 (as usually that does NOT involve a db upgrade script)
[20:57] <hpottinger> hmm... true
[20:57] <tdonohue> i.e. there needs to be a special note to Oracle users on this page: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Upgrading+From+4.0+to+4.x (Otherwise, chances are, NONE of them are going to see this fix)
[20:57] <kompewter> [ Upgrading From 4.0 to 4.x - DSpace 4.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Upgrading+From+4.0+to+4.x
[20:58] <hpottinger> it's not that big of a deal, as these upgrade scripts are pretty much a cut/paste affair anyway
[20:58] <mhwood> But does this happen in 4.0 -> 4.x? It sounds like it only happens in 1.8.x -> 3.0?
[20:59] <mhwood> (Which would be part of the chain if you are going 1.8.x -> 4.x.)
[20:59] <tdonohue> Kevin claims it happens 3.x -> 4.x, I thought
[20:59] <tdonohue> (i.e. it "works" in 3.x, but not in 4.x)
[21:00] <hpottinger> re-reading, that's my understanding the bug is from 3->4
[21:00] <mhwood> Ah, you're right, if you upgrade 1.8.x -> 3.x it leaves a time-bomb that goes off when you upgrade to 4.x.
[21:00] <hpottinger> EXCITING! :-)
[21:00] <mdiggory> I note its not a schema change, something like this could be scripted in java, but is certainly eaiser as sql
[21:01] <mhwood> So the 1.8.x -> 3.0 script needs fixed, *and* the 3.x -> 4.0 script.
[21:01] <hpottinger> if it's not a bug in 3, don't need to fix it in 3, do we?
[21:02] <mhwood> I suppose not, but it seems messy to leave this lying around.
[21:02] <tdonohue> it sounds like this fix should go into the 3.x -> 4.x db upgrade script (as that's where the bug appears). But, we need to add a note for Oracle users who have already upgraded to 4.x (if any)
[21:03] <hpottinger> there are a few other Oracle bugs in 4.x that need attention
[21:03] <tdonohue> to put this fix into the 4.x -> 5 upgrade script is wrong...as it implies that no Oracle users would ever want to use Discovery + 4.x
[21:04] <hpottinger> right, and with Discovery on by default...
[21:05] <tdonohue> I've added a comment to DS-2036 to describe that
[21:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2036 ] - [DS-2036] DSpace upgrade with oracle database, no discovery results - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:07] <tdonohue> Any other final thoughts/questions for today? (we are a bit overtime)
[21:08] <tdonohue> Oh..one final note: If anyone has objections/comments on moving JIRA notifications to a separate mailing list, please let me know. I sent an email to dspace-devel about this.
[21:09] <tdonohue> This email:http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/New-mailing-list-for-DSpace-JIRA-notifications-Please-add-your-feedback-td4673663.html
[21:09] <kompewter> [ DSpace - Devel - New mailing list for DSpace JIRA notifications? Please add your feedback. ] - http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/New-mailing-list-for-DSpace-JIRA-notifications-Please-add-your-feedback-td4673663.html
[21:09] <tdonohue> Since I'm not hearing any other pressing questions, I'll close up the meeting for today. I'll still be lurking for a bit though, if anything comes up
[21:09] <hpottinger> DS-2038 is another Oracle update script bug, pretty minor, I'll try to take on both of them and get that upgrade SQL sparkling clean
[21:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2038 ] - [DS-2038] Oracle dspace-schema_3-4.sql upgrade script contains a minor error - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:11] <hpottinger> my only problem is I'm dealing with people who don't view Oracle support as our problem any more, so I'll have to sneak in the time to do this review and work
[21:14] <mhwood> I have to go, thanks all!
[21:14] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:27] * kstamatis (2ebe4609@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:07] * mdiggory (~anonymous@cpe-76-176-128-229.san.res.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[22:21] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:37] * mdiggory (~anonymous@107-216-12-207.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[23:58] * mdiggory (~anonymous@107-216-12-207.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.