#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-08-27

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:38] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:38] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:38] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:38] -tepper.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:39] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:39] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:39] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:50] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[12:09] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:20] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:30] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:36] <hpottinger> tdonohue: I can see you're away, I just thought I'd ask if your network will be stable enough for the meetings coming up?
[13:38] <mhwood> See the MLs. He's asking for contingent volunteers to facilitate if he's incommunicado at the time.
[13:38] <mhwood> If no one else wants it, I'll try.
[13:39] <hpottinger> saw that yesterday, just wondering if the situation had changed at all
[13:39] * hpottinger hands the gavel from tdonohue to mhwood.
[13:54] <tdonohue> I'm around, yes. My internet seems semi-stable right now. However, Comcast is coming by somewhere around our meeting time. So, I may or may not be in attendance, depending on when Comcast shows up to try to fix my internet.
[14:04] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:08] <peterdietz> hi all
[14:58] * kohts (4f8baf9f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting. Agenda for today: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-08-27
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-08-27 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-08-27
[15:02] <tdonohue> A minor note before moving forward. My internet access at home (where I am) is still a bit unstable at times. I have a technician coming out any minute. So, while I'm here *now*, I may need to leave at a moment's notice
[15:02] <tdonohue> But, I *will* let everyone know if I need to leave, so that I can hand over the meeting to someone else
[15:02] <mhwood> I think I volunteered to pick up the baton, if needed.
[15:03] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood. I'll ping you when/if the technician shows up. Or, if I suddenly drop off, you can assume my internet when out again & feel free to take control :)
[15:03] <hpottinger> (cheatsheet: baton = gavel)
[15:03] <mhwood> OK
[15:03] * peterdietz hopes mhwood isn't on Time Warner (massive nationwide outage earlier today)
[15:04] <tdonohue> So, in any case, the main topic for today is obviously DSpace 5.0 Release.... a few notes to start us off:
[15:04] <mhwood> I'm at work, at IU. The Internet2 NOC is two buildings over.
[15:05] <tdonohue> 1) Our deadline for Feature PRs is quickly approaching...just barely over one month left (Oct 6 is deadline). Luckily it seems we are getting the big PRs already, which is great to see
[15:05] <pbecker> Before the first topic is started: I would like to mention that we invited for a German DSpace User Group Meeting. I send mails about it to dspace-general and dspace-tech today.
[15:05] <tdonohue> (or at least *most* of the big PRs...hard to say what is still outstanding)
[15:06] <tdonohue> pbecker: yes, I saw your emails. That's very exciting!
[15:06] <tdonohue> pbecker: and I'll be sure to get you in touch with the person at DuraSpace who can help promote this German DSpace User Group Meeting on our websites, twitter, etc
[15:07] <tdonohue> One other 5.0 Note:
[15:07] <pbecker> tdonohue: thanks, that would be great!
[15:08] <tdonohue> 2) Still looking for a few good DSpace 5.0 Release Team members! Again, anyone is welcome. We would love to have another 1-2 people join hpottinger & peterdietz on our 5.0 Release Team.
[15:08] <hpottinger> tdonohue: ORCID PR is still outstanding, DSPR#612
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/612 ] - DSpace ORCID (proper pull request) by KevinVdV
[15:10] <tdonohue> We also need to think about a 5.0 RT "Lead"....someone who is willing to just generally take a bit of a leadership role on 5.0 and the RT in general. I haven't brought it up yet, as I was hoping to get a few more folks on the Release Team first. But, it's something to keep in mind as well
[15:14] <mhwood> Not sure how to review ORCID -- "90 files changed". Oh, well, "start at the beginning, and when you get to the end...stop."
[15:17] <hpottinger> no joke, it's a fun job, and we'd love to have the help
[15:18] * hpottinger looks around, shrugs, hands the baton to mhwood.
[15:18] <hpottinger> just to fill in the silence here a bit, I have heard from a few people who have tentatively expressed interest in volunteering for the RT, and while it would be nice to think I'm being kind and not naming names, the truth is, I've forgotten who you were. So, if you are considering volunteering, and you've mentioned it to me, know that I will soon dig through my old chat logs and name names :-)
[15:18] * ianthe (~ianthe@vortis.xen.tardis.ed.ac.uk) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[15:18] * hpottinger points enthusiastically at peterdietz, and runs.
[15:19] <mhwood> It looks like a thorough job.
[15:19] <mhwood> So, the previous RCs are all looking around, hoping that someone new will step forward....
[15:19] * ianthe (~ianthe@vortis.xen.tardis.ed.ac.uk) has joined #duraspace
[15:20] <hpottinger> I've been commanded by management not to volunteer for RC, so I'm out, though, as an RT member, I pledge to help
[15:20] <peterdietz> Hardy and I chatted, I'll be official ring-bearer, Frodo, if you will
[15:20] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:20] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (*.net *.split)
[15:20] * tdonohue1 is now known as tdonohue
[15:20] <mhwood> There's a rough consensus that we need to train more people on release, instead of the same few doing it all the time.
[15:21] * tdonohue notes my internet is up & down. I'm going to let mhwood keep the baton/lead of this meeting...
[15:22] <hpottinger> I agree, it's really not that difficult, is a well-documented process, and can be a lot of fun
[15:23] <hpottinger> the wall of deprecation warnings for dcvalue take on a new level of alarming, though
[15:24] <tdonohue> Ideally our RT would be 3-4 folks. We might be able to "manage" with just 2, but it would *definitely* mean that hpottinger & peterdietz will need more general Committer support to ensure things done. And, as mentioned, it'd be good to get others familiar with the release process for DSpace.
[15:24] <mhwood> Ha, I was awaiting that netsplit notice.
[15:24] <tdonohue> And thanks, peterdietz for volunteering as RC! (Sorry, I'm catching up on the logs just now...my internet went streaming to a halt a while back)
[15:25] <hpottinger> mhwood: re: reviewing DSPR#612, it's on my dance card for this week, I intend to do things the dunderheaded way, an just merge locally and bash away until it works
[15:25] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/612 ] - DSpace ORCID (proper pull request) by KevinVdV
[15:26] <mhwood> That may be best, for such a large submission.
[15:27] <mhwood> So, it seems discussion of the RT has run down. Other topics?
[15:27] <mhwood> I presume that present RT members will continue asking for help as needed.
[15:28] <hpottinger> but, if someone wanted to at least skim the diff... looking for anythign that might raise concerns, that would be helpful, and yes, we'll do more than ask for help, mhwood ;-)
[15:28] <tdonohue> A small sidenote: Regarding 5.0 Feature PRs...I'd like to continue bringing some to our weekly IRC meetings to review each week. I just wanted to note that if there are any *you* want to ensure get reviewed in a given meeting, please feel free to send them my way or directly update the Agenda wiki page. I've added a few myself to today's agenda that we could discuss if there's time today.
[15:30] <mhwood> Quite a lot of it is brand new: org.dspace.authority.**
[15:30] <hpottinger> a note about RT membership, you don't have to be a committer to participate, if you want to pitch in with the next DSpace version, this is a great way to do so
[15:31] <mhwood> It's not all code review either. We need plenty of eyes to check that documentation is present and readable. And people to just try new stuff.
[15:32] <hpottinger> yeah, mhwood, it's mostly new work, a new Authority Cache
[15:32] <hpottinger> docs are here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/ORCID+Integration
[15:32] <kompewter> [ ORCID Integration - DSpace 5.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/ORCID+Integration
[15:33] <mhwood> If I get time, I may see if I can write some javadoc for it, which often is the best way for me to really dig into others' code.
[15:33] <mhwood> Good to have that link, thanks!
[15:33] <hpottinger> if this integration is of interest to you or your institution, we could definitely use the help in testing it out
[15:36] <tdonohue> Do we want to try and get more of the ORCID players in a meeting soon, similar to what we did to hurry along Mirage2? Perhaps next week? I still think it's worth reviewing on our own time as well, but it might help to set aside a good portion of a meeting for ORCID
[15:36] <mhwood> I just asked about official interest here.
[15:38] <mhwood> I should spend some time reading the doco. already provided, but with something this large it may be good to just chat with the developers, if they can come.
[15:40] <tdonohue> So, if things are slowing down, there were a few other Feature PRs that I noted in the Agenda, which we could take some time to discuss today: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-08-27
[15:41] <tdonohue> (and internet willing, I can try and discuss them as well)
[15:41] <mhwood> Anybody else?
[15:42] <mhwood> Sounds good.
[15:43] <tdonohue> Here's the first on from the agenda: DS-2107 and DSPR#608
[15:43] <mhwood> tdonohue: it's not just your connection. We had at least one other person drop out due to timeout, and something diagnosed a netsplit.
[15:43] <tdonohue> could be general freenode issues then...hmmm
[15:44] <tdonohue> kompewter seems to be having issues too
[15:44] <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2107 and https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/608
[15:45] <mhwood> So I see.
[15:45] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-08-27 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-08-27
[15:46] <kompewter> [ [DS-2107] Provide a place for third-party plugins - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2107
[15:46] <kompewter> [ [DS-2107] Provide a place for third-party plugins by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #608 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/608
[15:47] <mhwood> So, what do *you* think of the idea of a safe place for out-of-tree plugins?
[15:47] <mhwood> hpottinger and I discussed it a bit. Haven't heard anything else.
[15:47] <tdonohue> mhwood: regarding 2107, do you have any basic docs on what you have done in the PR? General idea seems reasonable, but not sure I fully understand what all is in the PR
[15:47] <tdonohue> Or even some basic use cases
[15:49] <mhwood> I'm starting to feel I'm in that ST:TNG episode where the universe kept shrinking and people no longer ever existed....
[15:49] <mhwood> I should write some. I wanted to know if people thought it made sense, but I guess I need to describe my thinking a bit more, first.
[15:49] <tdonohue> yea...me too...is anyone else here? Is it just mhwood & I now?
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2107 ] - [DS-2107] Provide a place for third-party plugins - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2107 ] - [DS-2107] Provide a place for third-party plugins - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/608 ] - [DS-2107] Provide a place for third-party plugins by mwoodiupui
[15:50] <peterdietz> regarding the 3rd party plugins, any chance there can be a "reference implementation" of a plugin?
[15:50] <peterdietz> i.e. /dspace/bin/dspace dsrun com.example.dspace.WhatsMyHandle
[15:50] <tdonohue> mhwood: yea, an example or two might help the discussion along.... e.g. "suppose you wanted to do ___", here's my suggestion on how we could do this: (1) step 1, (2) step 2, etc
[15:51] <tdonohue> +1 peterdietz: we definitely do need a reference implementation
[15:51] <pbecker> I have connections problems as well (while my internet connection is good, it seems to be freenode having problems).
[15:52] <hpottinger> sorry, had a local distratction, someone wanted to talk about date indexes, I'm back now
[15:52] <mhwood> My own use-case is an authentication plugin I wrote out-of-tree. Why should one have to rebuild all of DSpace just to include a plugin?
[15:52] <tdonohue> As it will also help us define what a "plugin" is....right now, that term is a bit vague. "Plugin" could mean a "plugin." as defined in dspace.cfg, OR it could mean a Maven module, OR it could mean "any old JAR you can drop in"
[15:53] <tdonohue> And it's a bit unclear right now what sort of "plugin" 2107 is referring to....so, a reference implementation would help
[15:53] <mhwood> I will see what I can come up with.
[15:53] <pbecker> this brings up the question what should be added as plugin and what should be added into DSpace.
[15:55] <pbecker> I think I might have a good example: While thinks like DOI or Linked Data that may be in interest for almost everyone, I think we might have some things that will be of interest for german users only. Thinks like xMetaDissPlus (a format for oai to provide Items to the national german library).
[15:55] * tdonohue notes: looks like my Internet technician (from Comcast) just arrived. I need to step away now...will try and catch back up later on
[15:55] <mhwood> OK.
[15:56] <mhwood> We are about five minutes from the official ending time.
[15:56] <pbecker> okay, I typed to fast, sorry. What I wanted to bring up is that plugins could be used for features which are of interest for a small group of DSpace users.
[15:56] <pbecker> only.
[15:57] <mhwood> Yes, that makes sense.
[15:57] <hpottinger> so, just to fill in what mhwood and I were discussing, I know the local additions module helps you shoehorn in 3rd-party jars, so I was a bit confused as to why we need another way to load 3rd party jars... and mhwood patiently explained that not everyone wants to build DSpace from source
[15:58] <peterdietz> Perhaps it (dspace runtime plugins) could get us nearer to some type of things that people can add to their dspace on the fly. i.e. Repo Admin clicks a button, fetches/installs pbecker's DOI-extension-MetaDissPlus.jar to /dspace/3rdparty/, and on servlet restart, DSpace has the new feature
[15:58] <hpottinger> +1 or on the fly adding Curation Tasks
[15:58] <mhwood> Yes, exactly. Other products let an admin. upload plugins and configure them on.
[15:59] <peterdietz> if we had dynamic config, this could get us closer.. i.e. your new curation-task might be in the running code, but unless you can edit the config to load it, it can't get used
[15:59] <mhwood> But if we do something like that, we need a place to put them that is not effectively emptied every time you update DSpace.
[15:59] <mhwood> Yes, the two features are a nice fit.
[15:59] <hpottinger> it also would help with more maintstream deployment methods (i.e. not just deploying with Ant, aftera compile, but deploying WARs via the container's own deployment methods
[16:00] <peterdietz> I just had a scary thought, what if you added remove-auth.jar, where some malicious user overrides AuthManager and other things, making all your content public...
[16:00] <hpottinger> caveat emptor :-)
[16:00] <mhwood> Don't install plugins that you don't trust.
[16:01] <hpottinger> though, the stakes are admitedly a bit higher with our particular app
[16:01] <pbecker> hpottinger: what if someone adds this jar in the overlays? mhwood +1
[16:02] <mhwood> We are officially past the end of the meeting, but discussion can continue.
[16:02] <hpottinger> pbecker: that's what the local additions module does, if you're repackaging DSpace you already have a way to get 3rd party jars into DSpace
[16:03] <hpottinger> example: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Nailgun second comment
[16:03] <kompewter> [ Nailgun - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Nailgun
[16:03] <pbecker> What I want as plugin support is a standaradized way to install additions without mixing them with local customizations. So I would like to have a play for "external plugins" which does not mix up with the overlays (were I put my local customizations).
[16:04] <pbecker> s/play/place
[16:04] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: What I want as plugin support is a standaradized way to install additions without mixing them with local customizations. So I would like to have a place for "external plugins" which does not mix up with the overlays (were I put my local customizations).
[16:04] <pbecker> sorry, just having a lag of >30seconds
[16:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[16:06] <pbecker> ping.
[16:06] <pbecker> anyone still here?
[16:08] <mhwood> Here.
[16:08] <mhwood> That sounds reasonable.
[16:09] * pbecker thinks this should be discussed another day. The internet is alway unreliable, but today it is much worth...
[16:09] <peterdietz> Two cases are: 1) things you add to your source tree (or poms) and gets built each time you compile. 2) Not in source-tree or poms, not part of compile process, lives in /dspace/3rdparty, and gets loaded to classpath. likely for out-of-band things...
[16:09] <mhwood> You may be right. Another day?
[16:10] <peterdietz> i.e. We'd had major pains installing the xpdf jai jar's, and so we could manually cp those jar's into /dspace/lib, next time we rebuilt, they dissappeared. If we could place them in /dspace/3rdparty, they would just be in the runtime
[16:10] <hpottinger> laggy here, too
[16:12] <pbecker> peterdietz +1
[16:12] <pbecker> The more and more I think of this, I think I want something like a real package management for DSpace. On the other hand there are so many package managements and I don't need another one. ;-)
[16:13] <hpottinger> yes, ponder DS-2107 in the mean time, and please consider testing DSPR#612
[16:13] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/612 ] - DSpace ORCID (proper pull request) by KevinVdV
[16:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2107 ] - [DS-2107] Provide a place for third-party plugins - DuraSpace JIRA
[16:13] <pbecker> okay, another day.
[16:13] <pbecker> 'bye!
[16:13] <hpottinger> and for those reading the transcript, and not already on the 5.0 RT, volunteer, darn it :-)
[16:14] <pbecker> hpottinger is doing a great job in promoting a RT membership!
[16:14] <pbecker> :-)
[16:15] <mhwood> For the JAI stuff: (a) JAI seems dead, find another way :-( , but (b) for dependencies, you can stick them in your local Maven repo and depend on them, if you want/need to build them in.
[16:15] <mhwood> But, if there were a directory on the class path that didn't get shoved aside, you could put those JARs in there too, and they'd remain.
[16:15] <mhwood> That's what this issue boils down to: a place on the class path for things that build.xml doesn't know about.
[16:15] <peterdietz> bye all
[16:16] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[16:31] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:32] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[16:32] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[16:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:54] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:56] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[16:56] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[17:29] * kohts (4f8baf9f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit ()
[18:22] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[18:24] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[18:24] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[19:02] * pdurbin (~pdurbin@server1.greptilian.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[19:16] * pdurbin (~pdurbin@server1.greptilian.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:49] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Quit: peterdietz)
[22:14] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:32] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.