#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-10-29

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[2:02] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:c49:792f:15d1:24ef) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:49] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:49] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:49] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[11:35] * helix84 (~ctenar@ Quit (Quit: leaving)
[11:43] * helix84 (~ctenar@ has joined #duraspace
[11:43] * helix84 (~ctenar@ has left #duraspace
[11:43] * helix84 (~ctenar@ has joined #duraspace
[12:19] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:27] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:39] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[16:38] * hpottinger_ (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:39] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[16:39] * hpottinger_ is now known as hpottinger
[17:06] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:28] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d5153D041.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers meeting
[20:02] <tdonohue> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-10-29
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-10-29 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-10-29
[20:03] <tdonohue> The primary topic for today is obviously 5.0. As noted in the agenda, the "freeze" still hasn't fully occurred. Currently there are two outstanding feature tickets
[20:03] <peterdietz> We've also been able to add additional hands to the release team. Thanks everyone
[20:04] <tdonohue> yes, does the RT have anything else they'd like to mention before we "jump in"? peterdietz / hpottinger?
[20:04] <peterdietz> #best-release-ever
[20:04] <hpottinger> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/milestones/5.0-feature-freeze
[20:04] <kompewter> [ Issues · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/milestones/5.0-feature-freeze
[20:05] <hpottinger> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status
[20:05] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status
[20:05] <tdonohue> So, peterdietz / hpottinger: Would it be better to review the two tickets on the agenda, or just start with that "5.0-feature-freeze" milestone in GitHub?
[20:05] <hpottinger> We've actually added 3 members
[20:06] <peterdietz> start with the DevMtg agenda
[20:06] <tdonohue> sounds good. OK, so the first ticket on our agenda is DS-1227
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:07] <tdonohue> hmm..this looks to be merged already? Just awaiting docs?
[20:07] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:07] <tdonohue> my mistake then :)
[20:07] <peterdietz> yeah, DSPR#701 got it
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/701 ] - DS-1227: Tag cloud for any browse index or Discovery facet (JSPUI only) by helix84
[20:08] <tdonohue> OK, so then the one major outstanding feature is DS-2167 / DSPR#686
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2167 ] - [DS-2167] Automate database upgrades - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/686 ] - DS-2167: Add Flyway automatic database upgrades to DSpace by tdonohue
[20:09] <peterdietz> flyway demonstrates how much a pain Oracle is?
[20:09] <tdonohue> As the RT is aware, I've been working to get this ready for 5.0 behind the scenes. With a ton of testing help from helix84, mhwood, hpottinger, and more, it's now seemingly "stable" on PostgreSQL. Though, there are still some (seemingly minor) outstanding Oracle issues
[20:09] <hpottinger> "has been" it's a stroll down memory lane for all the old upgrade SQL scripts
[20:10] <tdonohue> As I'm a bit "biased" about whether this one gets into 5.0 or not, I think I might hand this discussion over to peterdietz (or hpottinger).
[20:11] <hpottinger> I'm pretty biassed, too, I really want this feature to make it in
[20:11] <peterdietz> Everyone wants to see easier upgrades, and flyways gives that, by figuring out whats going on in your database, and ensure it gets upgraded
[20:12] <hpottinger> so, I'm all for merging it, I'd just like to ensure that the webapps spin up as normal on Oracle
[20:13] <tdonohue> Yes, as a summary point...this feature is using FlywayDB (http://flywaydb.org/) to automatically upgrade you to DSpace 5.0. Currently, with PostgreSQL, we've had successful tests of upgrading old DSpace 1.7/1.8/3/4 databases automatically to 5.0 just by pointing DSpace at them
[20:13] <hpottinger> which is just so cool it makes my head tingle
[20:13] <tdonohue> But, with Oracle, we're having some small issues still...the DB migrations work fine, but spinning up the webapps is hitting a small snag (which I think we can get around, to be honest)
[20:14] <peterdietz> I cannot figure out how to spin up an Oracle DB.. Completely un-simple, compared to mysql / postgresql
[20:14] <hpottinger> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+with+Oracle+DB+test+instance
[20:14] <kompewter> [ DSpace with Oracle DB test instance - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+with+Oracle+DB+test+instance
[20:15] <hpottinger> just download the Vbox image and boot it up, pretend it's an app in your user space if you have to, it's just the same, still on localhost, just a different port
[20:16] <tdonohue> So, again, I'm biased here (I think Flyway is ready, but it does need more help to fix the last few bugs in Oracle...likely I just need to spin up Oracle myself as well using hpottinger's tips)
[20:17] <tdonohue> I guess the question in my mind is do we want this in 5.0 (in which case I'm very willing to spend more time fixing the last few bugs)? Or does anyone see a reason why it shouldn't be in 5.0?
[20:18] <hpottinger> WANT
[20:19] <peterdietz> I would say we're still planing on going for flyway.
[20:19] <hpottinger> I'd be +1 for merging it now, but the webapps won't load... which turns it into a blocker for me
[20:19] <peterdietz> Not to be devil's advocate, but could flyway say: if(ORACLE), die. i.e. flyway gets out of the way, and oracle people are on their own? Obviously not what we want to do... But an escape hatch
[20:21] <tdonohue> peterdietz: I think the escape hatch is harder to code at this point than fixing the last few bugs for Oracle. I have a suspicion as to what *might* be happening with Oracle...I think it's might be somewhat related to how Oracle schemas != Postgres schemas...and it might be in my own code
[20:22] <tdonohue> i.e. I think Oracle is 95% of the way there..but we obviously need to get it to a point where the webapps actually spin up :)
[20:22] <peterdietz> ok. so what are our options now. Merge flyway as-is. Create a new PR tracking the remaining oracle bugs?
[20:22] <hpottinger> if we do that we knowingly break master for Oracle
[20:22] <peterdietz> we'll find people eager to test the fixes then?
[20:23] <tdonohue> I think the options are: (1) merge now (but yes, we break Oracle on master), or (2) ensure me that Flyway IS *IN* pending the final Oracle webapp fix...then we work to fix that ASAP and merge once fixed
[20:23] <mhwood> I have an environment where it's not too difficult to test on Oracle. If it gets the Flyway code into master, I'm in.
[20:23] <hpottinger> there are a few Oracle testers (almost all present, and none of us I'd describe as "eager") :-)
[20:25] <tdonohue> Somewhat related to all this is that we are now "behind" on our 5.0 schedule, which has 5.0RC1 on FRIDAY, and 5.0 TESTATHON on MONDAY. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:25] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:26] <hpottinger> oi, I forget RC day
[20:26] <tdonohue> While we might be ready for an RC1 by Friday (pending these Oracle fixes). It seems like we should give folks some advanced notice on Testathon. Monday seems too soon at this point, unfortunately
[20:26] <tdonohue> thoughts?
[20:27] <hpottinger> if we can actually cut an RC on Friday, that's still the schedule
[20:28] * tdonohue worries that the later we announce Testathon, the more likely we won't get many community testers (not to mention we need time to update demo.dspace.org)
[20:29] <peterdietz> I can likely spin up an instance on longsight.com
[20:29] <peterdietz> We have our dspace4 instance: trydspace.longsight.com
[20:30] <hpottinger> demo.dspace.org will run into AIP loading failures
[20:31] <hpottinger> DS-2195
[20:31] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2195 ] - [DS-2195] importing AIPs with DSpace:master throws an NPE - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <mhwood> Do we have a simple case to reproduce that NPE?
[20:32] <tdonohue> Regarding 5.0 schedule: There is still some "wiggle room" in the schedule, if we want it. We *could* delay Testathon until Nov 10-24. That'd also push back RC2 though and the final release. So, 5.0 would more likely be released in mid-Dec instead of early Dec
[20:32] * robint (5eaf588c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:32] <robint> Belated hi
[20:33] <tdonohue> hpottinger: I've been trying to get time myself to help on 2195 / investigate. But, I'm deep into getting flyway fixed first
[20:33] <hpottinger> Sure: 1) download Vagrant and Virtualbox, 2) git clone Vagrant-DSpace 3) copy the AIPs from demo.dspace.org to the content folder of Vagrant-DSpace, vagrant up, wait for the NPE
[20:33] <tdonohue> Hi robint. Hopefully you can read the logs to catch up
[20:33] <mhwood> vagrant is required, to make this happen?
[20:34] <hpottinger> no, it's the quickest path to loading the AIPs from demo
[20:34] <tdonohue> vagrant shouldn't be required. Seems like if vagrant is throwing that error, you *should* see the same error by simply trying to load the AIPs from demo.dspace.org into *any* "master" install
[20:34] <mhwood> OK, that shouldn't be hard to arrange.
[20:35] <hpottinger> Just be sure to set your handle to be the same as demo, or the AIPs won't load
[20:35] <mhwood> I think we need to stuff the code full of debug logging and find out more detail about what it is doing at the time.
[20:35] <mhwood> Thanks for tip.
[20:36] <hpottinger> OK, sorry to bail early, I have an appointment I have to run off to
[20:36] <hpottinger> I give my proxy to peterdietz
[20:36] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we have both Flyway (DSPR#686) and DS-2195 standing in the way of a Testathon, right?
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2195 ] - [DS-2195] importing AIPs with DSpace:master throws an NPE - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/686 ] - DS-2167: Add Flyway automatic database upgrades to DSpace by tdonohue
[20:37] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[20:37] <mhwood> AIPs to test with on demo are in ~/AIP-restore?
[20:38] <mhwood> Duh, read README, Mark!
[20:38] <tdonohue> Given that, again, wondering what others think about upcoming schedule now...do we need to delay Testathon a week (move to Nov 10-24)? Or are we still trying to push for Testathon starting Monday? (in which case we really need to get the word out *now* to the community)
[20:39] * tdonohue (crickets...)
[20:40] <robint> IMO people will set aside time once for testing, so better to have the product as ready as possible
[20:40] <robint> even if that means dealying a week
[20:40] <robint> delaying
[20:41] <tdonohue> yea, I also hate going into Testathon with at least one major known bug (especially a bug which gets in the way of trying to load test AIP content in Ds-2195)
[20:41] <robint> But I confess I don't have much feel for how ready we are
[20:42] <tdonohue> peterdietz, you still around? just curious your thoughts as RT Lead
[20:43] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:43] <tdonohue> (though anyone else is also welcome to chime in with thoughts)
[20:43] <peterdietz> I'm happy with having test-a-thon next week.
[20:43] <peterdietz> mid-end December is way too hectic..
[20:44] <peterdietz> (or atleast was, when I was at university)
[20:44] <peterdietz> how much lead time will testers need?
[20:45] <peterdietz> i mean, if we're 95% confident that we'll be on schedule now
[20:46] <tdonohue> peterdietz: I'm worried we don't know whether we'll be on schedule. I *think* Flyway (DSPR#686) will be ready by Friday (pending help on the Oracle side). But, I don't know how close we are to fixing DS-2195
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2195 ] - [DS-2195] importing AIPs with DSpace:master throws an NPE - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/686 ] - DS-2167: Add Flyway automatic database upgrades to DSpace by tdonohue
[20:47] <tdonohue> as for lead time..I think the more lead time we can give folks, the more likely we can convince them to "block off" an hour or two. I'm specifically thinking about getting Repository Mgrs to help test...as they tend to have a lot of meeting filled days
[20:47] <tdonohue> So, if we are serious about keeping Testathon on schedule for Monday, I feel we really should be announcing today (or tomorrow at the latest)
[20:48] <peterdietz> most user facing things will be okay even if we're still working on AIPs and flyway. Those mostly affect sysadmin
[20:49] <robint> Very true, most testers will test UI or installation/upgrade
[20:50] <tdonohue> So, if we want to make this happen for next week, we need: (1) an announcement to lists about Testathon (we can grab text from old announcements), (2) concentrated work to get Flyway / AIP bug done ASAP, (3) someone to do RC1 on Friday, and (4) someone to get demo.dspace.org updated to RC1
[20:51] <tdonohue> robint: yep, but install/upgrade testing requires the new Flyway work (PR#686) & updated docs for it (both are on my plate)
[20:51] <peterdietz> I can (1) Announce, and SamOttenhoff and I can spin up (3b) trydspace5.longsight.com
[20:51] <robint> tdonohue Yep that one is essential
[20:52] <tdonohue> So, I'll be swamped likely getting Flyway + updated documentation. I likely won't have time to help with anything else before Monday
[20:52] <peterdietz> So, if we just delay by one week, then maybe we'll have more breathing room to concentrate on AIPs/flyway
[20:52] <peterdietz> (sorry to potentially waffle)
[20:53] <robint> If I were cutting the RC1 release I would ideally want to do it on Thursday because its not unusual for there to be an unforeseen problem
[20:54] <tdonohue> peterdietz: yea, delaying would give more breathing room. It also gives us time to actually *bang on* master (with Flyway in place) ourselves...I feel like all we've really done is "merge stuff"...no one has actually done some initial testing for obvious bugs
[20:54] <aschweer> it sounds like delaying might be best, both to give more time to sort out the two remaining issues and to give people more advance notice
[20:56] <tdonohue> aschweer++
[20:56] <peterdietz> ok, so announce today, that testathon is week+half away, We cut next thurs?
[20:56] <peterdietz> fine with me
[20:56] <peterdietz> I might be able to still set-up a preRC version
[20:56] <tdonohue> peterdietz: If testathon is a week+half away, we can even wait to announce until next week... don't need an immediate announcement, but sometime early next week would be good
[20:57] <tdonohue> peterdietz: having a pre-RC version to bang on still might be nice. It'd let us hopefully fine the obvious bugs before opening things up to the entire community
[20:57] <aschweer> maybe give DCAT an early heads-up, if we expect significant testing from them
[20:57] <mhwood> Confirmed: I can reproduce the NPE from Ds-2195 using latest master and AIPs from demo, on PostgreSQL.
[20:58] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood
[20:59] <peterdietz> okay, then there's still numerous bugs, in the PR queue. So, it would be good to have a balance of running current master for some time,
[20:59] <tdonohue> +1 to giving DCAT advanced notice. RT could even send out an updated schedule to everyone if we want...and then just *remind* folks next week about Testathon starting Nov 10
[21:00] <tdonohue> Ok, so to summarize here (since we are at time)....
[21:01] <helix84> oops, DST is over...
[21:01] <tdonohue> Testathon will be Nov 10-21. RC2 would be delayed (maybe Dec 1?). Final release hopefully in first few weeks of December.
[21:02] <robint> helix84: I remembered half way through the meeting :)
[21:02] <tdonohue> In the meantime, we'll get DSPR#686 fixed up for Oracle & merged, DS-2195 fixed...and we'll all bang on "master"
[21:02] <peterdietz> US DST changes this sunday at 2am
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2195 ] - [DS-2195] importing AIPs with DSpace:master throws an NPE - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/686 ] - DS-2167: Add Flyway automatic database upgrades to DSpace by tdonohue
[21:02] <tdonohue> oh, that's right, our DST schedules are different again. Sorry helix84 & robint
[21:03] <tdonohue> USA doesn't change till this weekend
[21:03] <tdonohue> It'd be soo much easier if the whole world obeyed the same rules with regards to time changes ;)
[21:04] <helix84> don't worry, we're here to beta-test for you
[21:04] <mhwood> :-)
[21:04] <peterdietz> There are still outstanding Pulls, so feel free to test the small improvement / bug-fixes. And then, if you can, look at flyway/AIP
[21:05] <tdonohue> peterdietz++ Anyone who has time to help out with reviewing bug fixes, please do so!
[21:05] <tdonohue> And also feel free to give feedback on Flyway #686 ;)
[21:05] <helix84> and when you're donr, we'll get plenty more during the testathon, yay!
[21:06] <tdonohue> we've even helpfully categorized the PRs which relate to bugs: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/labels/bug
[21:06] <kompewter> [ Issues · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/labels/bug
[21:07] <robint> Got to run. Cheers
[21:08] <mhwood> I have to go. I'll be looking into Ds-2195.
[21:08] * robint (5eaf588c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:08] <tdonohue> Sorry, got pulled away for a moment.
[21:08] <KevinVdV> Needs to run, until next time
[21:08] <aschweer> I have to go too. I'll try to find some time for PR testing etc. Bye all.
[21:08] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d5153D041.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:08] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[21:08] <tdonohue> That's really all I have for today. So, the official meeting is closed!
[21:08] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:08] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has left #duraspace
[22:17] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:44] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.