#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-11-19

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:44] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:44] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:44] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:44] -tepper.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:45] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:45] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:45] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[6:45] -tepper.freenode.net- [freenode-info] why register and identify? your IRC nick is how people know you. http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
[10:43] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[13:30] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:31] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:04] * robint (81d7ec36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:04] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection timed out)
[14:05] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:06] <tdonohue> Hi all, sorry I'm running a bit late here. It's DSpace Developers Meeting time though (15UTC)
[15:07] <robint> tdonohue: thought the call had arrived!
[15:07] <tdonohue> Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-11-19
[15:07] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-11-19 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-11-19
[15:07] <tdonohue> robint: nope, it's definite for tomorrow though. Today is just busy with final preparations :)
[15:08] <tdonohue> So, today's meeting is obviously all about 5.0 & Testathon. helix84 was kind enough to fill out the agenda for me :)
[15:09] <tdonohue> As noted in the agenda, we've already come across a few "blockers" in Testing which need quick resolution. Those being DS-2294 and DS-2248
[15:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2248 ] - [DS-2248] XMLUI Delete Community doesn&#39;t work - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:10] <tdonohue> So those two tickets seem the highest priority to get volunteers for... anyone interested in claiming one of them?
[15:11] <mhwood> Reading....
[15:12] <tdonohue> (it's a bit quiet here...pinging all committers who seem "asleep": helix84, kshepherd, peterdietz) :)
[15:12] <mhwood> Yeah, I'll look into 2248.
[15:13] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood: there's already some related Unit Tests (as noted in comments). Probably we just need a new unit test (which will initially break) & then find the fix :)
[15:13] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[15:14] <mhwood> Oooh, Test Driven Development. Yes, that's the way to go.
[15:14] <tdonohue> haha, yep :)
[15:15] <helix84> hi, I almost forgot about DevMtg :)
[15:15] <tdonohue> anyone out there want to claim DS-2294, or start investigating it?
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:16] <robint> No JSPUI people here unfortunately
[15:16] <tdonohue> yea, I'm realizing that now...we're a small crowd
[15:16] <helix84> he weird thing is I was only able to reproduce it on demo (on multiple commits, though)
[15:16] <peterdietz> hi all, didn't notice this channel
[15:16] <tdonohue> helix84 this is 2294 that was only reproduceable on demo?
[15:17] <helix84> tdonohue: yes, I can reproduce it on demo every time. it doesn't occur on my own machine.
[15:17] <helix84> tdonohue: though demo uses Java 8, that's a possible culprit
[15:18] <tdonohue> odd. Well, it probably does still warrant a little more testing / verification, either way. Could you add that Java 8 note as a comment to ticket? might help others too
[15:19] <helix84> tdonohue: I'll do one better - test it with Java 7 on demo after the DevMtg
[15:19] <tdonohue> So, with 2294, since we don't have any big JSPUI users here today, we might need someone to send a message to the -commit mailing list to get the attention of JSPUI folks.
[15:19] <peterdietz> i just tested item edit on jspui. worked fine. (trydspace5
[15:19] <tdonohue> helix84: that'd be great, thanks!
[15:20] <peterdietz> java7, tomcat7
[15:20] <peterdietz> http://trydspace5.longsight.com/jspui/handle/123456789/8
[15:20] <kompewter> [ Try DSpace 5 RC1, from Longsight: Test Embargo EDIT on JSPUI ] - http://trydspace5.longsight.com/jspui/handle/123456789/8
[15:20] <tdonohue> Still would be worth testing on demo with Java 7 too... if this is a Java 8 issue, then at least we've narrowed down the problem
[15:23] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we have some sort of plan here for 2294. helix84 will test Java 7 on demo. After that, I suggest making noise about this on the -commit list if we need JSPUI help
[15:24] * helix84 is currently restarting demo on Java 7
[15:25] <tdonohue> So, with Testathon, it seems like things are going well. It's been hard to tell though how many testers we've gotten overall
[15:25] <tdonohue> Though we've had quite a few feedback JIRA tickets this week, especially... so we do have some testers
[15:27] <tdonohue> I do want to remind the RT (peterdietz) and really all the Committers that we need to be tracking the JIRA tickets coming in, and either verifying or rescheduling them. I think we've done a good job of this so far, but I will be *out of office* for the next few weeks (starting tomorrow), so it'll be up to you all to keep track of these tickets
[15:28] <helix84> OK, I just confirmed Java 8 is the culprit. Will add a comment.
[15:28] <tdonohue> We also have a big backlog of tickets currently scheduled for 5.0 (some of these are older, known issues though that could be rescheduled as needed): https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[15:28] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[15:29] <tdonohue> but there's 75 tickets there currently...so we need to be digging through that backlog over the coming weeks to narrow down which ones actually NEED FIXING, versus which are older issues that may need to be delayed again.
[15:29] <tdonohue> thanks helix84 for the testing. I'd suggest sending an email to -commit to get some JSPUI folks looking at this too
[15:30] <tdonohue> plus, we may want to test other parts of DSpace with Java 8. I wonder if we need to warn against using Java 8 + DSpace 5 or not
[15:30] <helix84> tdonohue: well, demo has been running on Java 8 and this is the only issue I noticed
[15:31] <tdonohue> helix84: good to know. :) Just wanted to be sure. So, it sounds like if we fix this one, we should be "OK" with DSpace 5 + Java 8
[15:31] <peterdietz> I've done some patrolling of JIRA last week, but I'll need to review these tickets as you said
[15:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:32] <tdonohue> peterdietz: definitely don't feel like you need to take on all the JIRA reviews yourself. I'd encourage you (and other RT members) to do it together if it makes sense.... you are still welcome to review some on your own, but it might be even easier if you all can schedule some meetings, or even use the upcoming DevMtgs (over the next few weeks) to review these tickets
[15:33] <helix84> mhwood: do you feel confident solving the XMLUI Delete Community bug or should I mention it, too, on -commit along with the JSPUI bug?
[15:33] <mhwood> I don't understand it at all yet. More eyes would be welcome. Do mention it.
[15:34] <peterdietz> I've been meaning to test Tim's solr updater
[15:35] <tdonohue> peterdietz: yea, that was the other ticket I wanted to talk through today. DS-2297 / DSPR#749
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2297 ] - [DS-2297] Auto upgrade Solr/Lucene indexes during DSpace upgrade process - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/749 ] - DS-2297: Auto upgrade Solr indexes by tdonohue
[15:36] <tdonohue> This is a followup to the Flyway DB migration scripts (which was requested by a few folks). With a ton of help from helix84, I've figured out a way to auto-upgrade everyone's Solr/Lucene indexes during the 'ant update' step
[15:36] <tdonohue> I've tested the heck out of it on my end, but it needs more testing from others. I think it's working though, and I've fixed what (small) bugs I've found along the way
[15:37] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[15:37] <peterdietz> Tim, cheers for the heroic effort to make upgrading DSpace much much easier. There's a chance we'll be able to update our upgrade docs to say you can upgrade from any version of DSpace to the latest version, easily
[15:38] <tdonohue> But, as this is my LAST DAY at work for a while (I will officially be offline from Tomorrow, Nov 20 returning on Mon, Dec 8)....either this ticket gets "in" today, or someone else needs to claim it from me to bring it forward.
[15:38] <tdonohue> I can make minor changes today, but after today I'm not going to be able to work on this ticket again until Dec 8 at the earliest
[15:40] <tdonohue> I'm definitely not rushing us into making a decision on this now... I just want to be up-front about the fact that I need someone else to take over this ticket, if we feel it needs more work after today
[15:41] <peterdietz> This reminds me of that David Blaine hunger stunt, where people flew drones with hamburgers near him.. We can mail printed code to Illinois
[15:42] <helix84> I'm still planning to test the PR, but I tested the concept enough to be confident it works fine
[15:43] <mhwood> Is it tested enough to just adopt now, fix as needed?
[15:44] <tdonohue> I'm 95-99% sure the concept is fine. I think the only outstanding needs are: (1) more testing on real data, just as a safety check (I've done some of this, but mostly with DSpace 4 instances, older instances would be nice), (2) we may wish to test whether we definitely want to upgrade Discovery's index (prior to rebuilding it later). It's done as a safety measure right now to avoid issues with possibly old indexes
[15:45] <tdonohue> but, I think the code is ready to go, as-is. It's more just banging on it some more. I've done a lot of banging on it, but I only have DSpace 4 instances to work from (DSpaceDirect customers). Would be good to have someone with older Solr indexes to also bang on it some more.
[15:46] <tdonohue> (But, I have tested upgrading at least one older Solr index, from a DSpace 1.8 instance from peterdietz... so, older indexes should work fine. Just need verification tests)
[15:48] <tdonohue> In any case, I think it *is* ready to adopt and fix as needed later. But, I don't want to be the one to push the button here, unless others approve of that. So, I'll leave it to you all for the final decision
[15:50] <tdonohue> this discussion seems to have slowed, so I'm assuming we don't have a decision on 2297 yet (which is fine). Are there any other 5.0 topics / tickets we want to bring up in the last 10 minutes here?
[15:50] <mhwood> So, I'm thinking that merging will further testing. Comments?
[15:51] <peterdietz> I would imagine so. I was going to grab another 1.8.x instance and run that through
[15:51] <tdonohue> It will force testing, as running "ant update" will now check your Solr indexes (Discovery, OAI, Statistics) and upgrade them as needed to the latest Solr in DSpace 5
[15:51] <helix84> yes, let's merge
[15:53] <tdonohue> sounds like one +1 (from helix84)
[15:54] <robint> Merge merge!
[15:55] <tdonohue> OK, will do then. It's hard to tell what "silence" means...cannot tell if it's a "I agree" silence, or a "I'm not so sure yet" silence ;)
[15:55] <mhwood> I like the idea and trust the source, but I'm not familiar enough with Solr upgrades to say more.
[15:55] <tdonohue> TBH, helix84 is the master of figuring out the Solr upgrade process. I just figured out how to translate his manual "script" into an automated 'ant' process.
[15:55] <peterdietz> i agree, +1
[15:55] <tdonohue> Ok, merging
[15:56] <robint> Crucial merge just before going on leave for a few weeks, what can possibly go wrong :)
[15:58] <tdonohue> robint: no worries, if worst comes to worst, you can easily "turn it off" by removing the new "update_solr_indexes" target from "ant update" ;)
[15:58] <tdonohue> Any other 5.0 topics or tickets to bring up today (in the last minutes)?
[15:59] <robint> tdonohue: just joking on my part :)
[15:59] <helix84> who's in for the backlog hour starting now?
[16:00] <mhwood> I can do that.
[16:00] <tdonohue> So, again, as a final note: I will be out & offline from Nov 20 - Dec 7. Returning on Mon, Dec 8. I leave 5.0 in your capable hands, until then! ;)
[16:01] <helix84> tdonohue: good luck!
[16:01] <mhwood> Best wishes to all of you, tdonohue.
[16:01] <tdonohue> thanks! I'll send along some early pics to -commit when I get the chance :)
[16:01] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:02] <peterdietz> Yes, congrats / good luck / enjoy your family time
[16:02] <tdonohue> RE: JIRA backlog hour, shall we switch over to #dspace, as normal?
[16:02] <peterdietz> sure
[16:03] * tdonohue notes our meeting is officially ended...feel free to join us for JIRA backlog hour over in #dspace, starting very shortly!
[16:35] * robint (81d7ec36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[16:53] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[17:01] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:19] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
[17:33] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:49] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[17:50] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection timed out)
[18:19] * roeland_atmire (~roeland_a@ has joined #duraspace
[18:21] * roeland_atmire (~roeland_a@ Quit (Client Quit)
[18:28] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[18:33] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[18:48] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:04] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection timed out)
[19:38] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162188.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:11] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[22:16] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:58] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[23:31] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162188.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.