#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-11-26

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:31] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-pkypbkpgdvbxilua) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:38] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:38] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:38] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[13:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:21] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-cludsvsjitmtzpxy) has joined #duraspace
[16:31] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[16:40] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[18:08] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[19:37] * deb_ (~deb@ has joined #duraspace
[19:42] * JavierG (~deb@ has joined #duraspace
[19:43] * deb_ (~deb@ has left #duraspace
[19:43] * JavierG (~deb@ Quit (Client Quit)
[20:00] <mhwood> Welcome to the weekly DSpace Developer Meeting.
[20:00] <mhwood> Agenda at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Developer+Meetings
[20:00] <kompewter> [ Developer Meetings - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Developer+Meetings
[20:01] <mhwood> First item: DSpace 5.0 Testathon status.
[20:02] <hpottinger> in many ways "Testathon" continues throughout the release process...
[20:03] <mhwood> I note one blocker: DS-2294. Should we document non-support for Java 8?
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item (with Java 8) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:04] <hpottinger> I would assume lack of support for 8, but it's good to know more specifics about what doesn't work
[20:04] <mhwood> I've marked it Needs Volunteer.
[20:05] <hpottinger> I do think marking non-support for 8 is one quick way to "deal" with this bug
[20:07] <hpottinger> mhwood, is it just you and me here?
[20:07] <mhwood> I don't like doing that, but we may have to if nobody comes up with a fix. (I should poke the Gentoo Java maintainers: what's holding back Java 8?)
[20:07] <peterdietz> hi
[20:07] <mhwood> No.
[20:07] <hpottinger> :-)
[20:08] <hpottinger> re: Java 8, I'm not sure about the specifics, but our Windows support people were scurrying around yesterday to make sure everyone was OK with them "pushing" an update to Java 8
[20:08] <hpottinger> <--- Linux guy, fine with me
[20:09] <hpottinger> so, point of that story is: Java 8 is getting rolled out by organizations
[20:10] <mhwood> About time.
[20:11] <mhwood> So we need a fix or a warning.
[20:14] <peterdietz> do we have just this one known java8 bug?
[20:14] <hpottinger> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20due%20ASC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC
[20:14] <peterdietz> I was hoping there would be a compiler to catch issues
[20:14] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20due%20ASC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC
[20:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item (with Java 8) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <hpottinger> DS-1597 needs Oracle testing
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1597 ] - [DS-1597] Browse subjects by collection count bug - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <hpottinger> It's on my list of things to look at, but we do have more people capable of Oracle testing these days...
[20:17] <mhwood> Yeah, I think I started to set that up for testing but ran into Tomcat issues (not DSpace issues).
[20:19] <hpottinger> I see a few ORCID issues at the top of the list
[20:20] <mhwood> Assigned?
[20:22] <hpottinger> DS-2225, DS-2261 assigned to Kevin
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2225 ] - [DS-2225] dspace index-authority command causes NPE - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2261 ] - [DS-2261] no way to import ORCIDs via CSV - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:23] <hpottinger> here's the bug list, sorted by date created (descending), so we can see the "new" bugs: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2331?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.0%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20due%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
[20:23] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2331?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.0%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20due%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
[20:23] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2331 ] - [DS-2331] Solr upgrade should not throw error on empty index - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:25] <hpottinger> anybody brave enough to take on DS-2287?
[20:25] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2287 ] - [DS-2287] Fix release process for optional modules (e.g. LNI and Mirage2) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:27] <hpottinger> I've marked 2287 as "needs volunteer"
[20:29] <mhwood> DS-2249
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2249 ] - [DS-2249] Tomcat 7 JSP compiler Jasper defaults to Java 6 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <hpottinger> interesting... what to do about 2249?
[20:31] <hpottinger> brb, doorbell
[20:33] <mhwood> Set version 7 in web.xml?
[20:33] <hpottinger> back, cable company sales man walking door to door in the snow
[20:34] <hpottinger> any JSPUI users here?
[20:35] <hpottinger> {crickets} nope
[20:36] <hpottinger> not sure if us XMLUI users need to set policy for an interface we don't use...
[20:38] <peterdietz> regarding that update-sequences. I found another one just like it: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1836
[20:38] <kompewter> [ [DS-1836] doi_seq in update-sequences.sql missing - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1836
[20:38] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1836 ] - [DS-1836] doi_seq in update-sequences.sql missing - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:40] <hpottinger> peterdietz: mark them both as related?
[20:40] <peterdietz> yeah, just linked them.
[20:40] <hpottinger> thanks!
[20:40] <peterdietz> I'm glad that link seems to ask less questions, i.e. just link them, don't try to build a directional dependency graph
[20:44] <mhwood> So, 2249: document or fix?
[20:45] <hpottinger> I think the only thing we can do right now is document, we need the JSPUI community to weigh in on the "right" solution, yes?
[20:46] <peterdietz> One fix would be to alter jspui code to not use java7 paradigms (i.e. diamond operator). Another solution is to configure tomcat/jasper to compile using java7
[20:47] <hpottinger> wish the RT had a JSPUI user, we could make this their problem
[20:47] <peterdietz> Could we say dspace5+jspui requires tomcat8, tomcat7*
[20:48] <peterdietz> * = Configure tomcat7 to have java7 config
[20:48] <hpottinger> that sounds fine to me, it's how it is
[20:48] <hpottinger> (says the non-JSPUI user)
[20:49] <peterdietz> I feel like tomcat8 is still rare to find in most distros / repos
[20:49] <mhwood> Yes, another thing I need to poke the Gentoo maintainers about.
[20:50] <hpottinger> 6,7 on Ubuntu Trusty
[20:50] <hpottinger> 6 only on CentOS/RHEL (yawn)
[20:50] <hpottinger> actually, it's 5.5 only on RHEL isn't it?
[20:51] <hpottinger> JBOSS is a fork of 6
[20:52] <hpottinger> I think Java servlet development will quickly outpace distro release schedules
[20:53] <peterdietz> yeah, most likely outcome is that people will run tomcat7, and just have to configure that.
[20:55] <hpottinger> re: DSPR#749 we need to add the new targets to the docs: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Ant+targets+and+options
[20:55] <kompewter> [ Ant targets and options - DSpace 5.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Ant+targets+and+options
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/749 ] - DS-2297: Auto upgrade Solr indexes by tdonohue
[20:57] <hpottinger> I added a note to DS-2297, but it's closed...
[20:57] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2297 ] - [DS-2297] Auto upgrade Solr/Lucene indexes during DSpace upgrade process - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:59] <hpottinger> speaking of Docs, would anyone be interested in taking on the job of wrangling docs for 5.0?
[20:59] <mhwood> What does that involve?
[20:59] <hpottinger> mhwood: a lot of nagging, and some task management
[21:00] <mhwood> I guess I could do that.
[21:00] <hpottinger> docs wrangling: figure out what needs documenting, then see that it's done
[21:01] <mhwood> Looking for "documentation needed" labels and bugging people?
[21:01] <hpottinger> looking for missing "documentation needed"
[21:01] <hpottinger> more stuff like 2297, closed but still needs docs
[21:01] <mhwood> Hm, how to know?
[21:02] <mhwood> If 2297 doco. is incomplete, it should be reopened.
[21:02] <hpottinger> "easiest" thing to do is to go through the list of closed PRs for 5.0
[21:02] <mhwood> OK, that works.
[21:03] <hpottinger> it's a big job, ask for help if you need it
[21:03] <mhwood> OK.
[21:04] <mhwood> We have passed official meeting's end.
[21:04] <hpottinger> we have at that, you needed to leave, yes?
[21:04] <mhwood> "Are we on track for RC3 next Monday, December 1? Who will cut the release?"
[21:05] <mhwood> I need to leave at 2200. It's 2105 now.
[21:05] <mhwood> I forgot that the meetings are an hour earlier now, local time.
[21:05] <mhwood> Anyway I can continue for a while.
[21:06] <hpottinger> OK, hang around a bit and let's iron out RC3, it's officially set for Monday, but I'd be OK with moving it back to the 4th or the 5th
[21:06] <hpottinger> which is Thursday or Friday
[21:06] <mhwood> What is left to be done?
[21:06] <hpottinger> bug fixes
[21:07] <mhwood> So, delay a few days to let some fixes in? We do have that blocker.
[21:07] <hpottinger> yeah, I think that's a good plan
[21:07] <mhwood> Does the RC concur?
[21:08] <hpottinger> peterdietz?
[21:08] <peterdietz> hi
[21:08] <hpottinger> we cut RC3 next Thursday or Friday (12/4 or 12/5)?
[21:08] <mhwood> We probably need another plea on -devel to look at those bugs and try to fix some.
[21:09] <hpottinger> good idea, mhwood, if you make that plea, feel free to also ask for help with docs
[21:09] <peterdietz> Yeah, setting it for 4th or 5th, so allow for another final test, final merge
[21:09] <mhwood> Current schedule is Monday, no? But there are bugs to be fixed yet, including a blocker.
[21:09] <mhwood> I will send that email.
[21:10] <hpottinger> OK, how about we say 12/4 Thursday
[21:11] <mhwood> OK by me.
[21:12] <hpottinger> OK, I'll change the official schedule then
[21:12] <hpottinger> gotta run, thanks everyone!
[21:12] <hpottinger> oh, shoot, um, who wants to cut RC3?
[21:14] <hpottinger> I'd prefer it not be me :-)
[21:14] <mhwood> I have some stuff I really should catch up on, but won't say no at this point.
[21:15] <hpottinger> ok, for real, I have to go, and I will either cut RC3 or find a volunteer on my own
[21:15] <mhwood> OK, thanks.
[21:15] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[21:15] <mhwood> I guess I should say that the meeting officially ended, a few minutes ago.
[21:15] <mhwood> Thanks everybody.
[21:57] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.