#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-12-17

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:25] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:25] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:25] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:25] -tepper.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:25] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:25] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:25] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:15] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[13:04] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:38] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[13:57] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[13:58] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[14:52] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:55] * robint (81d7ec36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:55] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@ has joined #duraspace
[14:56] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@ Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[14:57] * KevinVdV (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[14:59] * pnbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[14:59] * pnbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Client Quit)
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's 15UTC and now time for our DSpace Dev Mtg. Today's agenda is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-12-17
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-12-17 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-12-17
[15:01] <tdonohue> Today is obviously all about DSpace 5.0 and working to get that "out the door"
[15:02] <hpottinger> tdonohue: we should add, in addition to RC3 planning, we ought to also pick a date to actually cut this release :-)
[15:02] * roeland_atmire (~roeland_a@ has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <tdonohue> You probably already saw my email to -release list asking about the 5.0 release next steps...and trying to move us towards narrowing down a final schedule (not just for RC3, but also more importantly for 5.0 final)
[15:04] <hpottinger> I recently started filtering e-mail into mailboxes... checking my -release inbox now
[15:05] <tdonohue> I'll admit, I've been slightly out-of-the-loop in recent weeks (with my paternity leave, and some minor illness). But, first and foremost, where do we feel we are "at" with 5.0? It seems like there's still a *large* number of "fix for 5.0" tickets out there (70+)... I'm guessing most may need rescheduling. Fix for 5.0: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0
[15:05] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0
[15:05] <tdonohue> whoops, wrong link there
[15:05] <tdonohue> Here's the "Fix for 5.0" which are still "unresolved": https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[15:05] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[15:06] <tdonohue> I had made some attempts to narrow down our scope a little yesterday (and in that email to -release)
[15:07] <tdonohue> It seems like in reality, we have *one* blocker left: DS-2294
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item (with Java 8) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:07] <tdonohue> and some possible "low hanging fruit" (which we can get to after the blocker)
[15:07] <hpottinger> I'd also like to see DSPR#803 make it in
[15:07] <tdonohue> Any status updates on DS-2294
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/803 ] - [DS-1775] Increase robustness of SolrServiceImpl date format guessing by mwoodiupui
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item (with Java 8) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:08] <tdonohue> helix84, are you around? Looks like kstamatis is not today...but not sure if you know of any updates to 2294?
[15:09] <hpottinger> last I heard on 2294, http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2014-12-10 kstamatis volunteered to work it
[15:09] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2014-12-10
[15:10] <tdonohue> right, I guess my point here is that obviously 2294 is high priority (since it's blocking our ability to release as a "blocker"). So, we need to hopefully move quickly on it
[15:11] <hpottinger> so, it looks like Tomcat is grabbing the wrong JDK?
[15:12] <tdonohue> ok, since kstamatis and helix84 are both not here, can we get an RT member to followup with them on 2294, and see if they need additional support? We probably should get a discussion thread going on 2294 on -release (or similar) so we can work together to get this fixed ASAP
[15:13] <tdonohue> (and it also may be good to see if others can verify this problem with Java 8 and JSPUI, just to ensure it isn't a misconfiguration issue)
[15:13] <hpottinger> yes, if 2294 is a "local configuration issue" we can figure it out and document it
[15:14] <tdonohue> Any volunteers to start up a thread on -release to get 2294 verified/fixed?
[15:14] <hpottinger> I'll do it now
[15:15] <tdonohue> Ok, thanks, hpottinger! I'll also try and help do some verification testing on my end with Java 8 and JSPUI
[15:17] <tdonohue> OK, so that's the next steps on the main "blocker"
[15:17] <tdonohue> It seems like the next steps here are to:
[15:18] <tdonohue> 1) Figure out when is reasonable to get 2294 "fixed" by, so that we can set a final 5.0 release date
[15:18] <tdonohue> 2) Begin to analyze what other "low hanging fruit" (bug fixes only) is still waiting out there that we really should try to get into 5.0 prior to that release date
[15:20] <tdonohue> Regarding the 5.0 release date, it seems like this release has really slid back significantly.... initially we were aiming for an RC3 on Dec 1 with Final in "Mid December". We're now well into mid-December, and we still don't even have an RC3
[15:21] <hpottinger> message re 2294 sent to -release
[15:22] <tdonohue> In my opinion, this leaves us with a few choices.... we either rush RC3 and Final into the next week (since holiday breaks in USA, at least, likely start next week around the 24th)... Or we are forced to push Final back into early 2015. Thoughts?
[15:22] <hpottinger> I've had to step back a bit, sorry about that, we've had a significant "fire" I've been working to put out, it's taking most of my time right now
[15:23] <pbecker> same here: to much local work to give any help for the release currently. sorry about that.
[15:24] <helix84> tdonohue: sorry, I have no status updates in DS-2294
[15:24] <tdonohue> yep, I understand. Things come up or happen. Just trying to figure out our best route forward (so that we can also let the community know the final schedule...currently they are likely expecting 5.0 "any day")
[15:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2294 ] - [DS-2294] JSPUI: unable to edit item (with Java 8) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:25] <hpottinger> tdonohue is right, I don't think we want to cut the final release over the holidays
[15:25] <mhwood> We have 19 issues in Code Review alone, and a blocker with uncertain status. Next week sounds too tight.
[15:26] <hpottinger> I know I don't want to do that work over the holidays, and we have a shortage of people who will cut releases
[15:26] <tdonohue> helix84: thanks for the update. One last question: are you actively working with kstamatis on 2294? Or is it mostly just "waiting on him to analyze" at this point?
[15:26] <tdonohue> mhwood: yep, I agree. Just wanting to talk through all this
[15:27] <helix84> tdonohue: I wrote all ideas I had in issue comments. Currently, I'm not able to help any more. And I haven't been in touch with Kostas since.
[15:28] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:e527:c82e:dd98:4786) has joined #duraspace
[15:28] <tdonohue> helix84: ok, thanks. Just wanted to understand where it sits :)
[15:28] <helix84> BTW anyone with access to demo can replicate the issue
[15:29] <hpottinger> for backlog hour today, maybe we sort the code review list and find volunteers for them all?
[15:30] <tdonohue> helix84: has it ever been replicated on a server that is *not* demo.dspace.org? The only reason I ask is that I've noticed other oddities that are specific to demo.dspace.org. I think demo may have deeper issues
[15:30] <helix84> another reminder besides the blocker - we (RT) should review whether all new features/improvements really have docs. The docs may either still not be in the DSDOC5x space or not written yet (e.g. REST CRUD).
[15:30] <hpottinger> we should probably also look at the new PRs, there seems to be quite a few coming in right now
[15:30] <tdonohue> helix84 ++ on the docs. That's a definite TODO
[15:31] <helix84> tdonohue: Not that I know of. I actually wanted to take a copy of the exact binary code of demo and run it locally, but I didn't get to it.
[15:31] <tdonohue> hpottinger: I did my own PR review yesterday...I tried to flag their corresponding tickets as "Needs Code Review" + "5.0" if they look reasonable for 5.0
[15:31] <hpottinger> demo is one of the few servers I know that runs jsvc
[15:31] <tdonohue> but, I'd agree it'd be nice to get others to look at recent PRs, etc
[15:32] <hpottinger> I wonder if we can take jsvc out of the picture?
[15:32] <mhwood> Ah, yes, and IIRC jsvc on demo was built with Java 8.
[15:32] * tdonohue has thoughts to try and rebuild demo.dspace.org *entirely* in the near future. It's turned into frankenstein's monster recently
[15:32] <helix84> hpottinger: good catch - it's a possible cause. I couldn't replicate the issue in my env and I'm not using jsvc.
[15:33] <hpottinger> jsvc isn't really necessary to run Tomcat on a lower port any more
[15:33] <mhwood> It's a lot easier to get rid of root using JSVC though.
[15:33] <helix84> It's possible I updated jsvc when updating demo to DSpace 5. But I think I also tested with the older version after I found the Java 8 bug.
[15:33] <tdonohue> RE: Backlog Hour, I agree we should review the "Needs Code Review" tickets (and other low hanging fruit) to see what could still get into 5.0 and what to leave out
[15:34] <helix84> As a last-resort option, we could also declare that DSpace 5.0 is not yet supported on Java 8.
[15:34] <hpottinger> that's fine, to unsupport 8, we just need to tell Demo about it :-)
[15:34] <tdonohue> helix84: I'd only "declare" that if we can replicate this problem elsewhere. If it's specific to demo, I'd suspect it's simply a configuration problem...and it might be unreproduceable (at least in any reasonable fashion)
[15:35] <helix84> hpottinger: I think I tried running tomcat with the necessary capability, but binding the low port didn't work.
[15:35] <hpottinger> helix84: there's a trick to it, let me see if I can remember it
[15:37] <helix84> (I tried a lot of things there but it was more than a month ago and my memory is not very good, sorry)
[15:37] <tdonohue> So, back to the main topic at hand. We know we have 2294 left to analyze/resolve, and we have some "low hanging fruit" (19 tickets in the "Needs Code Review" for 5.0 status). What is a reasonable date to set for 5.0 Final, so that we can let the community know when to expect it?
[15:38] <tdonohue> Some 5.0 Final possibilities may be: Thurs, Jan 8.... Thurs, Jan 15.... Thurs, Jan 22
[15:39] <hpottinger> found it: AUTHBIND
[15:39] <helix84> hpottinger: Yeah, I'm using that locally. I thought you meant without kludges.
[15:40] <tdonohue> Do Release Team members have any preferences (based on your schedules) on the new 5.0 Final Release date? (Noticing that peterdietz, our RT lead isn't here today, so looking to the rest of you to help decide)
[15:41] <hpottinger> http://www.java-notes.com/
[15:41] <kompewter> [ Running Tomcat on port 80 on Linux ] - http://www.java-notes.com/
[15:42] <hpottinger> well... without knowing a timeframe on 2294, can we really pick a date?
[15:43] <hpottinger> for an "aspirational" date, I suppose Jan 15 looks as good as anything
[15:43] <tdonohue> we can pick a *tentative* date. What I really don't want to happen is for everyone to just leave for the holidays without any movement forward. Currently the entire DSpace Community is again expecting 5.0 "any day". We need to let them know a new tentative date so that we don't get a large number of emails asking "where is 5.0?"
[15:44] <hpottinger> one thing to keep in mind, we're all overloaded now... and the beginning of the new year brings that special time I like to think of as "everyone brings their fire to IT"
[15:44] <tdonohue> So, we need to (a) pick a new date, (b) update our wiki schedule, (c) send an email update to -general / -tech, etc
[15:44] <pbecker> I'm out of office till January, 6th (including). But I have a lot of work to do, directly when I'm back...
[15:46] <tdonohue> So, is January usually extremely busy? This is why I'm asking what seems like a reasonable date...I honestly don't know if "Jan 15" is unreasonable (cause of lots to do in Jan), or if it's "probably doable, assuming things go well"
[15:47] <hpottinger> I think we need to be clear with our bosses, if we pick Jan 15, we're committing to that time frame, and new work is going to have to make way (that said, I know fires come up)
[15:47] <helix84> mhwood: what do you think? you're the other person here capable of cutting the release?
[15:47] <hpottinger> helix84: everyone here is capable of cutting a release :-)
[15:48] <tdonohue> What I'm hoping we can set is a date that is "probably doable". So, if that is Jan 15, great...but if it's really more like Jan 22, then it'd be good to know too
[15:48] * helix84 would have to dig out his private key :/
[15:48] <mhwood> I have unknown availability 7-9 Jan, but other than that the first two weeks look normal.
[15:49] <mhwood> I think I could be available for the 15th if needed.
[15:49] <hpottinger> shall we vote? (look at your calendars before you vote, thanks! :-)
[15:49] <helix84> 15th is OK for me
[15:49] <tdonohue> 15th is good for me too (and I'll be around to help chip in then)
[15:50] <hpottinger> Wed the 15th is a Dev Mtg day
[15:50] <tdonohue> no, 1/15 is a Thurs
[15:50] * hpottinger grumbles about OWA
[15:51] <hpottinger> yep, 1/15/15 is a Thursday
[15:52] <hpottinger> OK, calendar is currently clear for that entire month, but, mark my words, somebody has plans for that time, they're just not telling me yet
[15:53] <tdonohue> Well, this gives you some time to also warn your bosses that 5.0 is likely being released around then, and that you'd like to have some time to help make that successful ;)
[15:54] <tdonohue> Ok, so it sounds like we have a new 5.0 Final date of 1/15. I'll go ahead and send an email off to the community (i.e. all lists) about this later today/tomorrow.
[15:54] <hpottinger> will do, our next upgrade is closely tied to the 5.0 release, so this helps me move that project deadline, too
[15:55] <hpottinger> with 5.0 time set, who wants to talk about RC3? :-)
[15:55] <tdonohue> One thing that would be good from the RT here.... Could we get up a "ToDo" checklist on our 5.0 page somewhere? We've mentioned several things here already (1) RC3 release, (2) Ds-2294, (3) Review & get in "low hanging fruit", (4) Ensure all New Features have 5.0 Documentation
[15:56] <helix84> tdonohue: One is linked in the Agenda. Should be extended.
[15:57] <tdonohue> right, I'm asking *who* will be willing to extend this :)
[15:57] <pbecker> tdonohue: maybe it is a good idea to wait with the mail for 24 or 48h so that there is time for anybody to answer to the last mail on dspace-release regarding the blocking bug?
[15:57] <hpottinger> I was just going to mention helix84 did a great job with the chekclist for DSpace 4.0
[15:57] <tdonohue> pbecker: makes sense. I'm fine with that
[15:58] <helix84> sure, I can do the TODO list
[15:58] <tdonohue> Can / Will someone volunteer to cut the RC3 release? Since that seems first on our list
[15:58] <tdonohue> helix84: thanks!
[15:59] <hpottinger> thanks, helix84!
[16:00] <hpottinger> so, before someone volunteers to cut RC3, when would that work be done?
[16:00] <hpottinger> and what are we waiting on to get into RC3?
[16:01] <tdonohue> RC3 seems like something we'd want to possibly release prior to the holidays, if possible (just to get another RC out there to show progress). I.e. maybe 22nd or 23rd? Or even this Fri?
[16:02] <tdonohue> I'd almost rather do an RC3 ASAP (just to show progress on 5.0...it's been a while since RC2)....rather than waiting for too much longer. But, I'm open to suggestions too
[16:03] <tdonohue> comments? agree or disagree?
[16:03] <helix84> tdonohue++
[16:03] <pbecker> +1
[16:04] <mhwood> Sounds reasonable.
[16:04] <helix84> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-ReleaseTODOlist
[16:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-ReleaseTODOlist
[16:05] <tdonohue> helix84: thanks!
[16:05] <tdonohue> Ok, so if we want RC3 ASAP, anyone willing to take that on either this week, or early next week?
[16:06] <hpottinger> I've got a fire I'm putting out for work, don't have slack time to cut RC3, hope to have that resolved soon
[16:07] <tdonohue> anyone else?
[16:07] * tdonohue notices we are overtime here...would like to get RC3 finalized though before we end the mtg today
[16:08] <hpottinger> tell ya what, *I* volunteer to cut the final release on 1/15/15
[16:09] * helix84 cheers for hpottinger
[16:09] <tdonohue> OK, if there are no volunteers. I'll just do 5.0 RC3. I'll cut it Friday morning (well, morning for me)...likely starting around 15:00 UTC
[16:09] * helix84 starts a mexican wave
[16:10] <tdonohue> thanks, hpottinger for volunteering to do 5.0 final!
[16:10] <tdonohue> Ok, with that, I say we close up the meeting for today and move over to #dspace to discuss the final "low hanging fruit" 5.0 tickets during JIRA backlog hour
[16:11] <mhwood> OK
[16:11] <tdonohue> thanks all! And by the way, no meeting next week! It's Christmas Eve (and a holiday for many) here in the USA
[16:12] <hpottinger> see you all next year?
[16:12] <tdonohue> I hope you all have a great holiday & end of the year! Yes, our next official meeting will be Weds, Jan 7, 2015! See you next year!
[16:14] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[16:14] <hpottinger> I'm going to tack a reminder on the end of this transcript, be thinking about OR15 presentation ideas, the deadline is coming up.
[16:31] * robint (81d7ec36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[16:36] * roeland_atmire (~roeland_a@ Quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[16:38] * KevinVdV (~kevin@ Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[18:53] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[19:42] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:43] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[21:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:19] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:e527:c82e:dd98:4786) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[22:19] * roeland_atmire (~roeland_a@ has joined #duraspace
[22:19] * roeland_atmire (~roeland_a@ has left #duraspace
[22:50] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.