#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2015-05-27

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[2:13] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-hdqeexcsrgctnzsd) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[2:32] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[2:52] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[7:08] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[7:08] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[7:08] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[7:08] -cameron.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[7:08] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:08] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[7:08] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:17] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[11:36] * Disconnected.
[11:36] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[11:36] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[11:36] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[11:36] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[20:13] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[20:13] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[20:13] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[20:14] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[20:14] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:14] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[20:14] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[20:14] <hpottinger> OH HAI duralogbot
[20:14] <tdonohue> sorry, didn't notice that duralogbot fell out of the channel. We can copy the first 15mins of logs into the notes page post-mtg
[20:15] <tdonohue> We were just talking though about a few larger OAI-PMH issues outstanding: DS-2542 and DS-2593, and whether they warrant a 5.3 release
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2542 ] - [DS-2542] XOAI does not support non granular YYYY-MM-DD harvesting properly - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2593 ] - [DS-2593] Withdrawn items remain in OAI-PMH until the next full re-import - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:15] <aschweer> I think 2542 causes problems for people harvested by primo
[20:16] <aschweer> which may be quite a few? on the other hand, we haven't heard too many complaints
[20:16] <aschweer> it'd be great if we could fix the Mirage 2 build process in time for a 5.3...
[20:16] <tdonohue> So, the balance here is whether we work towards a 5.3, or if we just "track these issues" as possibly of interest for a 5.3. We obviously don't want to have "all hands on 5.3" though to the possible detriment of getting 6.0 work moving along
[20:17] <mhwood> But, as you said, right now would be a good time to tackle outstanding PMH issues.
[20:17] <hpottinger> +1 proceed with 6 and backport bug fixes, cut 5.3 if someone feels strongly enough to volunteer for the job :-)
[20:19] <aschweer> sounds like a plan to me
[20:19] <aschweer> and there was some talk of figuring out how to best support xoai, wasn't there?
[20:19] <tdonohue> I agree, at this point, I lean towards "tracking" the OAI and Mirage2 issues...which means we still can move to fix them, but we won't do a 5.3 until either (1) one of these bugs is proven to be affecting a lot of folks, or (2) it becomes an "easy release" (i.e. we'll just backport these 3-4 changes to dspace-5_x and cut a new release)
[20:20] <tdonohue> Yes, the question of XOAI is also on the table still. We may need to consider either forking it, or "overlaying" it with custom fixes (similar to what we do with Cocoon, see: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-cocoon-servlet-service-impl)
[20:21] <tdonohue> I haven't heard anything from Joao in some time. He does pop up every once in a while, but he hasn't responded to recent requests around XOAI
[20:21] <aschweer> yeah, sounds like we may need to do something like that
[20:21] <hpottinger> I like the idea of an overlay similar to Cocoon
[20:22] <hpottinger> is DS-2542 sufficient for that work, or should there be an issue specific to the overlay project?
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2542 ] - [DS-2542] XOAI does not support non granular YYYY-MM-DD harvesting properly - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:22] <tdonohue> Yea, at the very least, it does give us an option to apply fixes to XOAI that we are waiting on... But, once Joao pops up again, I'm also going to try to ask him more about XOAI's status, and whether it should be merged into DSpace
[20:23] <tdonohue> 2542 could be done via an "overlay" project, I believe
[20:23] <aschweer> I think it'd be good to talk to Joao and figure out what the situation is
[20:23] <tdonohue> aschweer: yep, I agree. He's just unresponsive right now
[20:24] <peterdietz> The XOAI seems to be an improvement over the previous oai server in DSpace. I quick search shows that Fedora Repo uses/used a Proai provider service.
[20:24] <aschweer> that was going to be my next question, is xoai actually used outside of DSpace? (I haven't tried finding out)
[20:24] <mhwood> Easy enough to fork it (in the Github sense) and feed back anything we actually fix ourselves. IIRC the current situation is that there are fixes already written since the last release, which we would like to just use.
[20:25] <hpottinger> mhwood: sounds like Cocoon 2 ;-)
[20:25] <peterdietz> off topic. I've noticed that the Amazon Web Services SDK (i.e. what I use to talk to S3 bitstream storage) every time there is a code change, or merged pull request (even tiny readme changes). They automatically release a new version
[20:25] <mhwood> Very much so, hpottinger.
[20:25] <tdonohue> peterdietz: Proai isn't maintained any more. http://proai.sourceforge.net/
[20:25] <kompewter> [ Proai 1.1.1 Documentation ] - http://proai.sourceforge.net/
[20:26] <hpottinger> gosh... all these libraries...
[20:26] <tdonohue> I'll email Joao again to see if I can get an update from him
[20:27] <hpottinger> peterdietz: does kompewter keep track of last seen info?
[20:27] <tdonohue> So, the next topic today is DSpace 6.0, and starting to plan for that
[20:27] <aschweer> cool. we aren't using the latest version of xoai, not sure whether switching to the most recent version (major version change) would help us
[20:28] <mhwood> And starting 6.0 is the right time to roll dependencies forward.
[20:28] <tdonohue> we're using the latest "stable" release of xoai, I thought?
[20:28] <aschweer> no we're using 3.2.7 and there now is 4.1.0
[20:28] <aschweer> (I think)
[20:28] <hpottinger> http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|com.lyncode|xoai|4.1.0|pom
[20:28] <kompewter> [ The Central Repository Search Engine ] - http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|com.lyncode|xoai|4.1.0|pom
[20:29] <tdonohue> aha, yea, you are correct, aschweer: https://github.com/lyncode/xoai
[20:29] <kompewter> [ lyncode/xoai · GitHub ] - https://github.com/lyncode/xoai
[20:30] <aschweer> master says <xoai.version>3.2.9</xoai.version>
[20:30] <hpottinger> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-oai/pom.xml#L19
[20:30] <kompewter> [ DSpace/pom.xml at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-oai/pom.xml#L19
[20:30] <aschweer> yup that file, thanks hpottinger :)
[20:30] <mhwood> xoai-4.1.0 is tagged
[20:30] <hpottinger> it's in Maven Central, too
[20:31] <mhwood> Release 4.1.0 came on 01-Aug-2014.
[20:31] <aschweer> the xoai readme on github suggests major architecture changes between 3 and 4
[20:31] <tdonohue> huh, yea, and it looks like the 4.1 codebase is significantly different. Unsure whether it resolves issues we are seeing though (as the code looks so different, the class with the main issue doesn't even exist anymore)
[20:32] <hpottinger> who wants to play?
[20:32] <mhwood> So maybe we need an Issue to move DSpace to XOAI 4.x if possible?
[20:33] <peterdietz> kompewter .seen joaomelo
[20:33] <hpottinger> is DS-2542 sufficient for that?
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2542 ] - [DS-2542] XOAI does not support non granular YYYY-MM-DD harvesting properly - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:33] <peterdietz> kompewter seen joaomelo
[20:34] <peterdietz> anyways. searching the irclogs with google says, http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2013-10-09 might have been the last time
[20:34] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2013-10-09
[20:34] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, we should at least analyze what that move looks like (how complex, whether it solves our issues or just introduces new ones). Either way, we likely want to be on the latest XOAI anyhow at some point
[20:35] <hpottinger> who wants to update 2542 with a note about the version bump?
[20:40] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[20:40] <hpottinger> erm, did I just lose my network and not notice?
[20:40] <mhwood> No.
[20:41] <aschweer> No I'm still here too
[20:41] <peterdietz> It shows tim timed out.
[20:42] <aschweer> I've added a comment to 2542
[20:42] <peterdietz> Not to change topic, but I've got a GA question, instead of jspui.google.analytics.key and xmlui.google.analytics.key, would it be better to use webui.google-analytics.key, or use the config for Robin's Google Analytics Statistics: config/modules/google-analytics.cfg tracking.key
[20:43] <mhwood> Latter, I would say.
[20:43] <aschweer> sorry folks, I need to head to work. bye all
[20:44] * aschweer (~andrea@ Quit (Quit: leaving)
[20:44] <mhwood> So: what now?
[20:45] <hpottinger> 15 minutes of meeting time left, correct?
[20:45] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:45] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:45] <hpottinger> greetings, tdonohue
[20:46] <hpottinger> peterdietz: if you're only using one key, it doesn't much matter what we call it, but tracking.key sounds fine
[20:46] <tdonohue> Hi there. Yea, something odd just happened on my home network. Router hiccup it seems (had to restart it).
[20:47] <tdonohue> I see (from logs) no one volunteered for the XOAI 4.1.0 upgrade work. So, sounds like we should just create a ticket for that
[20:47] <peterdietz> My 2c on OAI, is #1) See if Lyncode can release a fixed version, #2) See if someone wants to fork it to DSpace or DSpace-Labs and cut a release, #3) Think about future of OAI (are there Java OAI projects with an active community).. The numbers are the order I would approach it
[20:48] <mhwood> aschweer added a note to Ds-2542 re: XOAI upgrade.
[20:48] <hpottinger> it's possible there already *is* a fixed release
[20:48] <mhwood> But I do think that that is probably an issue of its own.
[20:49] <mhwood> 3.2.9 is the latest 3.x.
[20:50] <tdonohue> peterdietz: yea, with #1, I think the question is whether the 4.1.0 will fix these problems for us (uncertain), rather than using the 3.x branch of XOAI. But, yea, those are some of the longer term options for XOAI
[20:51] <tdonohue> RE: #3 OAI-PMH is still used very heavily, especially in Europe. So, DSpace needs OAI-PMH, just a matter of what we use
[20:51] <tdonohue> Ok, I'll create an XOAI 4.1.0 ticket
[20:52] <tdonohue> On to other 6.0 topics. I'm curious if anyone is interested in helping do some of the code cleanup tasks? Namely DS-2187 or DS-2188?
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2187 ] - [DS-2187] Remove deprecated Lucene search index support - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2188 ] - [DS-2188] Remove deprecated DBMS browse support - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:53] <mhwood> I ought to address my own backlog before taking on much more, but I do want to see those done and may be able to help.
[20:54] <tdonohue> I think we *have* to do these both in 6.0. The sooner the better, obviously. But, I'm not sure I'm comfortable letting those languish for another release (as it's really holding back this area of our codebase)
[20:55] <hpottinger> deleting stuff? sign me up :-)
[20:55] <tdonohue> I'm not sure what my time will look like post-OR15 (with the other RoadMap work I'll be trying to help with), but I'll also try to help out as much as I can (even if just for testing/verification)
[20:56] <tdonohue> So, honestly, whoever can find time to grab one of these, please do so. It is really about just removing all the stuff (including extraneous configs, etc)
[20:56] <tdonohue> Any other 6.0 (or other topics) folks want to throw in here in the last minutes?
[20:57] * tdonohue will mention the Technical RoadMap is getting to a "final draft" state. We'll be talking more about that at OR15, but feedback welcome: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RoadMap
[20:58] <mhwood> Does anybody know why DSpaceKernelImpl should not be just started when it is instantiated? It says not to, but not why.
[20:59] <tdonohue> no idea, to be honest. Could be worth playing around with, if only to enhance it's docs/comments as to "why"
[21:00] <tdonohue> (cause you never know, the "why" reason may or may not exist any longer in the codebase, or may be possible to now refactor out)
[21:00] <mhwood> I'm still tinkering with slimming down Services by removing support for multiple concurrent kernels and ServiceManagers.
[21:01] <mhwood> Then maybe I can understand it without taking half an hour to refresh my memory every time I write or hack on a service.
[21:01] <mhwood> OK, thought I'd ask. Thanks.
[21:02] <tdonohue> no problem.
[21:02] <tdonohue> I just created an XOAI 4.x ticket: DS-2595
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2595 ] - [DS-2595] Upgrade DSpace to use XOAI 4.x - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:03] <tdonohue> Ok, well, I have no other topics for today. I'd just encourage everyone to add to the "ideas/wish list" for 6.0, especially anything you feel you could contribute! https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Status
[21:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Status
[21:03] <tdonohue> Also, we are looking for a few interested 6.0 Release Team members! Please get in touch
[21:04] <hpottinger> peterdietz just added something interesting to that 6.0 list
[21:04] <tdonohue> With that though, I'm going to close out today's meeting. I'll still be around for a bit though, as needed
[21:04] <mhwood> Thanks. Must go.
[21:04] <peterdietz> I'll make a youtube video of how the S3 storage works. It kind of just-works. I've got to dig into the checksum portion..
[21:06] <mhwood> Yeah, the pluggable bitstore stuff is interesting, and I'm sure S3 support will be too.
[21:06] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:36] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[21:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:50] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:04] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160110.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[22:44] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[23:00] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.