#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2015-09-09

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:19] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-vzgdrebkrvhwbexe) has joined #duraspace
[6:55] -holmes.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:55] -holmes.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:55] -holmes.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:55] -holmes.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:55] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:55] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:55] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[8:23] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-vzgdrebkrvhwbexe) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[11:38] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-yjefvnivbnqbuidh) has joined #duraspace
[12:23] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:03] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-226-113-104.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:13] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-yjefvnivbnqbuidh) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[14:46] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-xwketlljosxkmugu) has joined #duraspace
[14:47] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160190.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:00] <tdonohue> Hello all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Mtg. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2015-09-09
[15:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2015-09-09 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2015-09-09
[15:00] <hpottinger> Hi!
[15:01] <tdonohue> So, KevinVdV mentioned he'll be here today, but may be a little late again (as he usually is for these earlier meetings)
[15:02] <tdonohue> But, nonetheless, I'd like to go ahead and jump into the Service API stuff. Honestly, it's the highest priority item right now, and (having been out of the office last week) I was hoping to get some updates on where things stand
[15:03] <tdonohue> From what I can tell, we are mostly waiting on JSPUI to be completed? Is that correct? Is there anything else outstanding or needing attention?
[15:03] <mhwood> That's my understanding.
[15:04] <hpottinger> I *think* some concerns were raised about Oracle testing?
[15:04] <tdonohue> I also see a couple of PRs still waiting (likely waiting for post-JSPUI though): DSPR#1040, DSPR#1039, DSPR#2035
[15:04] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1040 ] - DS-2701: cleanup or org.dspace.rdf by pnbecker
[15:04] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1039 ] - DS-2730 link getName() to DSpaceServices by pnbecker
[15:04] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2035 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:05] <tdonohue> whoops that last one is DSPR#1035 (not 2035)
[15:05] <tdonohue> wait..looks like REST API is also still not merged? (DSPR#1026) What's the status on REST API, peterdietz?
[15:05] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1026 ] - [DS-2701] REST API by peterdietz
[15:05] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1035 ] - [DS-2728] Remove the BundleBitstream object &amp; replace by JPA mapping by KevinVdV
[15:07] <tdonohue> hpottinger: it looks like the Oracle-compatibility PR was merged last week. Were there concerns beyond that?
[15:07] <hpottinger> tdonohue: none from me (I haven't had time to play at all, sorry)
[15:08] <tdonohue> So, from what I see...we are waiting on REST API & JSPUI. Then we also have several "cleanup" PRs (listed above).
[15:09] <tdonohue> Has anyone been able to offer abollini support/help on the JSPUI work? I worry that if we don't get this moving *quickly* we're either going to have to push back 6.0, or we'll never get Services API done in time for 6.0 (both we'd like to avoid). We seem to be "stalled" right now
[15:11] <tdonohue> and, based on abollini's branch, he's been stalled himself...and hasn't committed anything fro nearly 2 weeks: https://github.com/abollini/DSpace/tree/DS-2701-service-api
[15:11] <kompewter> [ abollini/DSpace at DS-2701-service-api · GitHub ] - https://github.com/abollini/DSpace/tree/DS-2701-service-api
[15:11] <peterdietz> hi all
[15:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2701 ] - [DS-2701] Adopt Service-based API refactor of existing Java API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:12] <tdonohue> hi peterdietz. Any status for us on the REST API work for Services API? It seems to be "sitting around" as a PR, but it's unclear if it's been reviewed or ready for merger
[15:12] <peterdietz> With regard to REST, I didn't get a chance to work on that. I finished a assetstore migrate script for S3.
[15:13] <tdonohue> so REST still needs more work?
[15:13] <peterdietz> My issue with REST was that I wanted to go in and be a little bit more consistent. Its a finished refactor, but I never added methods that would allow you to use the new UUID's to reference objects
[15:13] <peterdietz> So. It could be merged as-is, its fine, and I could make post-merge fixes
[15:14] <peterdietz> ...or, find a moment to add another commit to it.
[15:14] <peterdietz> (Sorry for not attacking this, this past week)
[15:14] <mhwood> IIRC the test for inclusion in the branch is "compiles and unit tests pass".
[15:14] <peterdietz> Well, then REST passes that test
[15:14] <tdonohue> Ok. So, have you pinged KevinVdV to do an initial review of the REST work, peterdietz? I know he said he'd like to get to do a quick review of each refactor
[15:15] <peterdietz> I notified him during the last dev meeting, and he was scanning it. But then I told him I would like to make REST a bit better.
[15:15] <peterdietz> minor catch-22
[15:16] <tdonohue> Ok, I say we assign this to KevinVdV for review. Your "making it better" can be future PRs. Though you might want to create a ticket for the "Make it better" tasks, so they don't get lost/forgotten along the way
[15:16] * terry-b (~terry-b@71-212-24-25.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:16] <peterdietz> Yeah, that is probably the best
[15:17] <mhwood> Branches are free.
[15:17] <hpottinger> rebases aren't, though ;-)
[15:18] <mhwood> Uh-oh, how much should I be paying for rebases?
[15:18] <tdonohue> I've assigned DSPR#1026 to KevinVdV and let him know the status
[15:18] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1026 ] - [DS-2701] REST API by peterdietz
[15:18] <hpottinger> Oh, you'll pay :-)
[15:20] <tdonohue> So, that leaves us with JSPUI. Anyone here have some spare time (even an hour or so) to chip in on JSPUI with abollini? Obviously, if we fail to get JSPUI ready, then this whole thing fails...we obviously cannot move to Services API without compatibility with JSPUI. So, "I don't use JSPUI" is not as good of an excuse here :)
[15:20] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:21] <pbecker> hi
[15:21] <tdonohue> hi pbecker :)
[15:21] <hpottinger> it sounds like pbecker is volunteering :-)
[15:21] <peterdietz> hmm.. I don't use JSPUI
[15:21] <pbecker> volunteering for what? (just reading the logs)
[15:22] <tdonohue> We were just doing updates on Services API. I just asked if anyone is willing/able to help abollini with the JSPUI refactor
[15:22] <pbecker> I'm willing but out of office the next three and a half weeks.
[15:22] <pbecker> so I have one hour left today. ;-)
[15:22] <tdonohue> pbecker: wow! Well, enjoy your time away then :)
[15:23] <pbecker> thanks. I'll be back on 6th of October.
[15:23] <hpottinger> Oh, you'll miss feature freeze
[15:23] <hpottinger> I mean, the PR deadline
[15:23] <pbecker> I have some PRs open which will need rebasing after the feature branch is build. I hope it's okay, if I rebase them when I'm back.
[15:23] <pbecker> s/build/merged
[15:23] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: I have some PRs open which will need rebasing after the feature branch is merged. I hope it's okay, if I rebase them when I'm back.
[15:24] <tdonohue> hpottinger: depends on if we ever get Services API done. Right now, our PR deadline is not looking very plausible if we don't have a stable API for PRs to work against
[15:24] <hpottinger> you've already beaten the deadline, pbecker, and tdonohue is right... it's a draft schedule, anyway
[15:24] <hpottinger> heh, we don't even have a RT, do we?
[15:25] <hpottinger> (draft schedule here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Status#DSpaceRelease6.0Status-DRAFTReleasetimeline%28notyetdiscussedorapproved%29)
[15:25] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Status#DSpaceRelease6.0Status-DRAFTReleasetimeline%28notyetdiscussedorapproved%29)
[15:25] <tdonohue> Honestly, we're in a bit of a conundrum right now. If we cannot finish up Services API soon (next week or so), I think we'll need to revisit whether it's plausible to even include in 6.0. I'm not liking on chances of stabilizing & meeting all these deadlines if this goes on much further
[15:26] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C5104D.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[15:26] <KevinVdV> Hello everybody
[15:27] <tdonohue> Hi KevinVdV. We are still talking Services API...and the fact that JSPUI needs help and isn't getting it (yet)
[15:27] <KevinVdV> Reading up now
[15:28] <tdonohue> I think we are quickly approaching a point where we NEED non-JSPUI folks to chip in on JSPUI refactor... or else the Services API is not going to be ready in time for 6.0 (and we'll be forced to delay it, which would be a huge shame)
[15:29] <mhwood> I'm trying to work out how I want to juggle yet another remote repository, so I can see if there's anything I can help with.
[15:29] <KevinVdV> On the JSPUI side, is the java compiling already ?
[15:29] <peterdietz> Could JSPUI be sub-parcelled? Break up all of that into 10 evenly sized components? I could grab the BatchImportZIP component
[15:30] <peterdietz> Or is JSPUI 500 big pieces...
[15:30] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: Unclear...but I think so. I think it's just that most/many of the JSPs break, according to abollini.
[15:30] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: it sounds like the hard part is finding JSPs that no longer compile/work
[15:30] <KevinVdV> Because of the JSPUI java compiles we COULD potentially merge it & then do the fixes to the jsp files themselves as we move further
[15:31] <hpottinger> that's a good point
[15:31] <tdonohue> I guess we could ask abollini to create a PR of "what he has". and then start to bang on the individual JSPs in smaller sets (sub-parcelled, like peterdietz said too)
[15:31] <KevinVdV> Each committer gets one folder containing jsp files :D
[15:32] <tdonohue> seems reasonable enough
[15:32] <KevinVdV> (Or you could create a quick page on which committers can CLAIM a certain jsp folder
[15:32] <tdonohue> I can email abollini about getting a PR created from what he has. We can do an initial review of that, and make sure it compiles at a basic level...then parcel up the remaining JSPs.
[15:33] <peterdietz> Its a mountain of work. find dspace-jspui -name \*.java | wc -l shows that there are 139 java files in there
[15:33] <peterdietz> Assuming 10 active committers.. 14 each?
[15:33] <tdonohue> peterdietz: the *.java files should all compile (if dspace-jspui complies). It's the *.jsp files that are the problem
[15:33] <hpottinger> that's a great idea... or, maybe abolini already has his work in a branch we could look at?
[15:33] <KevinVdV> I did the entire XMLUI java classes rebase in about 10 hours
[15:33] <tdonohue> hpottinger: he has a branch here https://github.com/abollini/DSpace/tree/DS-2701-service-api
[15:33] <kompewter> [ abollini/DSpace at DS-2701-service-api · GitHub ] - https://github.com/abollini/DSpace/tree/DS-2701-service-api
[15:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2701 ] - [DS-2701] Adopt Service-based API refactor of existing Java API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:33] <KevinVdV> & the java files aren’t the problem
[15:34] <mhwood> IDEs may be less helpful with JSP since it's two languages tangled together.
[15:34] <tdonohue> mhwood +1 (I think that's exactly the issue here. IDEs don't refactor JSPs well)
[15:35] <mhwood> If we can spot big hunks of Java in a JSP that could be moved out to a taglib or something, that might help.
[15:35] <hpottinger> looks like abolini is about 3 commits in
[15:37] <KevinVdV> Can anybody do a quick check on the java ? (No the good hardware for this I’mafraid)
[15:37] <hpottinger> so... if anyone wanted to pitch in with the JSPUI refactor, they could pick up aboilin's branch and then make PRs to that branch
[15:37] <hpottinger> sorry, I always typo Andrea's handle
[15:39] * tdonohue just emailed abollini / responded to his thread on dspace-devel
[15:39] <mhwood> Right now there are a number of classes in org.dspace.app.webui.jsptag that show red flags in NetBeans. That seems to be all, for the pure Java.
[15:40] <KevinVdV> “The version available on my branch now compile and allow you to start the webapp just to get the first exception :)”
[15:40] <KevinVdV> From his latest email on the state
[15:40] <peterdietz> Would it be acceptable to just finish the Java portion of the refactor? And leave the JSP's as-is, and delay release of 6 until someone addresses those?
[15:41] <tdonohue> peterdietz: unfortunately, no. I worry we'd be delaying release of 6 "indefinitely". JSPUI needs to have a plan for getting fixed, otherwise Services API isn't getting into 6.
[15:42] <tdonohue> To put it another way, I think releasing 6 is more important than Services API. I really *want* Services API to be in 6. But, I don't think we delay 6 indefinitely to make that happen
[15:42] <KevinVdV> I would like to note that releasing DSpace 6 without the service API would be very though (I would need to rebase for every pull request ....)
[15:43] <KevinVdV> So for now I would say merge the jspui AS is in the branch & then we all need to pitch in to get the jspui’s to work
[15:43] <peterdietz> Then, lots of grunt work to finish up JSPUI is best thing to do. We don't want to have anyone stuck, and unable to upgrade, or have statements like DSpace 5 is the last version of JSPUI
[15:44] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: yea, don't get me wrong. I like that plan. I'm just noting that we need to fix these JSPs We cannot leave the JSPs hanging :)
[15:44] <hpottinger> erm, you just made that statement ;-)
[15:45] <KevinVdV> I would love to pitch in but currently spending my time on getting the XmlWorkflow migration to work (DS-2713)
[15:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2713 ] - [DS-2713] Ensure that there can still be an xml workflow migration - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:45] <hpottinger> So, we can "leave the JSPs hanging" for the feature branch, but we can't merge the feature branch until those issues are resolved
[15:45] <peterdietz> @Hardy: I stated it, but its not what i meant, so not a state-meant
[15:45] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we have a plan here. We'll get a PR which "just compiles". We'll then work to divvy up the remaining JSPs
[15:45] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:b974:3fee:10ae:ab41) has joined #duraspace
[15:46] <tdonohue> hpottinger: correct. To be abundantly clear, I will personally veto a merger of the "feature branch" into "master" if the JSPs are broken (sorry, I feel that strongly that broken JSPs are not OK on "master", but they are fine on the "feature branch")
[15:47] <mhwood> Um. I just fetched a copy of abollini's branch and it does NOT compile here. (Commit b00f3a698f383fe86b27650a90d67c2497416a87)
[15:48] <tdonohue> mhwood: ugh. Well, it's also possible that abollini hasn't committed all his fixes yet. Maybe he will respond today/tomorrow and get us a "compiling" PR
[15:48] <mhwood> That is what I was thinking. (Hoping?)
[15:49] <KevinVdV> I can help with the compiling issues WHEN he repplies, & will put my xml workflow migration work on hold for now ...
[15:49] <tdonohue> So, in general here.. it sounds like we have a decent plan for JSPUI. We'll get abollini to get us a compiling PR, then we'll divvy up the JSPs to get them functional again (at a basic level).
[15:50] <hpottinger> I can't officially commit my time to JSPUI (just the way things are) but I'll unofficially say: I will try to help
[15:50] <tdonohue> Just as a note for KevinVdV... it looks like REST API is also ready for initial review (it compiles & is refactored): DSPR#1026
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1026 ] - [DS-2701] REST API by peterdietz
[15:50] <KevinVdV> Noticed that, will try to review tomorrow or the day after
[15:51] <tdonohue> Thanks KevinVdV...honestly for all your hard work on this.
[15:51] <KevinVdV> Just don’t forget to mention me if it gets released ;)
[15:51] <tdonohue> But of course! :)
[15:52] <tdonohue> OK. Any other updates/topics to discuss on Services API? (As soon as we hear from abollini, I'll help us start to organize around cleaning up the JSPs, even if that involves claiming folders to tackle)
[15:52] <hpottinger> KevinVdV: you could volunteer for RC, then you could be in charge of remembering to mention yourself :-)
[15:53] <KevinVdV> Going to be hard to find for that as well…..
[15:53] <mhwood> I think there is often a way to get a JSP engine to pre-compile the JSPs. I wonder if we could do that and get better help from our tools.
[15:53] <tdonohue> 6.0 may end up being a very "collaborative" release
[15:54] <tdonohue> mhwood: if you can find / know of a way, that would be extremely useful to all of us (It seems completely reasonable, I just don't know how to do it)
[15:54] <KevinVdV> Ps: I will do my best to review as much pull requests as I can though
[15:55] <pbecker> mhwood: IIRC psi-probe can do that.
[15:55] <tdonohue> We're bumping up against the end of this meeting. So, I'm going to open up the floor to any topics. Anyone have topics to discuss? Or questions/thoughts to share?
[15:55] <pbecker> mhwood: or better worded, psi-probe can tell tomcat to compile all jsps and shows you if any and which one failed...
[15:56] <hpottinger> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jasper-howto.html#Web_Application_Compilation
[15:56] <kompewter> [ Apache Tomcat 7 (7.0.64) - Jasper 2 JSP Engine How To ] - https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jasper-howto.html#Web_Application_Compilation
[15:56] <mhwood> You beat me to it. :-)
[15:56] * tdonohue notes that the UI Prototype Challenge announcement is also coming soon (likely in next week). Yet another thing in 2015 to give attention to :)
[15:57] <hpottinger> don't like supporting 2x UIs? try supporting Xx UIs!
[15:58] <tdonohue> hpottinger: very funny. No, DSpace 7 will only have *one* UI :)
[15:58] <hpottinger> indeed... one year only
[15:59] <terry-b> I have a quick question related to some code I hope to contribute. I am working on some code for DS-2583 and DS-2539 that enhance the REST API. When should I attempt to merge this with the active DSpace 6 branches.
[15:59] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2583 ] - [DS-2583] Extend DSpace REST API verbs to support enhanced reporting - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:59] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2539 ] - [DS-2539] Provide REST API function to dump the metadata repository - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:59] <mhwood> Actually I think we only need the 'jspc' goal for our purpose.
[16:00] <tdonohue> hpottinger: not if I have anything to say about it (which I think I do). One UI forever. If others want to build third-party UIs, that's fine, but they won't be supported by the Committer team :)
[16:01] <hpottinger> sorry... tdonohue, I'm just talking about 2015, we'll have a few more than 2 UIs to worry about this year
[16:01] <peterdietz> terry-b: Sorry if I haven't looked into those. We've currently operating under the idea that master is frozen, and waiting for services to get merged
[16:02] <tdonohue> terry-b: yes, master is "frozen" right now, still waiting on Services API refactoring for DSpace 6. Hopefully we'll have updates on when "master" will be ready again in the near future (next week or so)
[16:02] <mhwood> REST is just about ready in the Services branch. You could build and test against that, and be ready to drop a PR quickly.
[16:02] <mhwood> Oops, it isn't actually *in* the Services branch yet.
[16:02] <peterdietz> yes, unfortunately.
[16:02] <hpottinger> and, while you're playing with the Services branch.... you can maybe pitch in with some JSPUI refactoring
[16:02] <mhwood> But a candidate is available.
[16:03] <terry-b> Thanks. I am curious to see how easy the upgrade will be!
[16:04] <hpottinger> that's the spirit!
[16:04] <tdonohue> terry-b: Since it's API-level changes, the upgrade shouldn't be too much different for *most* folks. It's the hardcore programmers (who are customizing at the API level) which might need to do some extra refactoring during the upgrade to 6.0
[16:06] <tdonohue> Since we are already past 1 hour, and conversation is dwindling, we'll go ahead and close up today's meeting. Thanks all! Once we get an update from abollini, we can work on the JSPUI fixes together
[16:06] <KevinVdV> Need to run, until next week
[16:06] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C5104D.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[16:08] <peterdietz> You could make your PR off of where the REST services one is. And then rebase afterwards. Or.. assume perhaps we'll have everything figured out in 2 weeks?
[16:09] * tdonohue is moving over to #dspace now, if anyone wants to do some JIRA reviews there
[16:10] <terry-b> Peter, I should be able to wait 2 weeks. I am going to need to figure out how I will test against the upgraded code base.
[16:11] <hpottinger> any committers hanging out here ought to consider moving tho #dspace and help with the backlog review
[16:19] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[16:38] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[17:47] * terry-b (~terry-b@71-212-24-25.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[18:43] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160190.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[19:04] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:b974:3fee:10ae:ab41) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:44] * srobbins (~srobbins@libstfsdg02.library.illinois.edu) has left #duraspace
[19:47] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:317d:f1f8:8198:594a) has joined #duraspace
[20:53] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-xwketlljosxkmugu) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[21:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-226-113-104.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[23:36] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-jyfqzxbwjntedshl) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[23:52] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:317d:f1f8:8198:594a) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.