#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-01-20

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:02] * lo5an (~lo5an@unaffiliated/lo5an) has joined #duraspace
[1:12] * lo5an (~lo5an@unaffiliated/lo5an) Quit (Quit: Textual IRC Client: www.textualapp.com)
[3:12] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-fejsxwswfanprxqu) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[6:01] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[6:01] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) has joined #duraspace
[6:28] -adams.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:28] -adams.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:28] -adams.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:28] -adams.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:29] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:29] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:29] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[13:48] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:52] * cwilper (~cwilper@ec2-54-213-30-97.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[13:56] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[13:56] * cwilper_ (~cwilper@ec2-54-213-30-97.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[14:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-226-113-104.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:22] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[16:03] * jcreel (~jcreel@jcreel.tamu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:18] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/session) has joined #duraspace
[18:13] * jcreel_ (~jcreel@jcreel.tamu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[18:22] * jcreel (~jcreel@jcreel.tamu.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[18:22] * jcreel_ is now known as jcreel
[18:58] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/session) Quit (Changing host)
[18:58] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-uogktllapxaogzaq) has joined #duraspace
[19:19] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hello all, welcome. It's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-01-20
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-01-20 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-01-20
[20:01] <tdonohue> As in recent weeks, the primary goal today is to make headway towards our 6.0 Feature Freeze, so that we can get closer to a 6.0 RC1, and get some better release dates nailed down
[20:03] <tdonohue> I missed last week's meeting, but I saw that those in attendance did a good job of trying to push that forward, by reviewing the 6.0 feature PRs & sending along requests for updates as needed. So, thanks for that all
[20:03] <tdonohue> Here's where we now stand with regards to 6.0 Feature PRs: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3Afeature
[20:03] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3Afeature
[20:04] <tdonohue> While we have 7 still remaining, there's quite a few that look to be waiting on response/updates from the PR creators. So, it might be good to use today to prioritize these in terms of importance, and figure out what to do with ones "needing more work"
[20:06] <tdonohue> So, I'd like to do *very brief* updates on each very quickly, so that we can then have time to strategize on where to go next
[20:06] <tdonohue> I'm going to start from the top, and ping people (as needed) for a brief update
[20:06] <mhwood> Sounds well.
[20:06] <tdonohue> DSPR#1163 (mhwood working on)
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1163 ] - DS-2880: Pubmed integration into XMLUI submission by rradillen
[20:07] <tdonohue> From what I read, this looks like it is waiting on updates?
[20:07] <mhwood> Submitter has been working through things as I complain. I think it's just about ready.
[20:07] <mhwood> Yes, I found one last little change that I needed to make it work with Mirage 1.
[20:08] <tdonohue> OK. Has submitter been responsive? Or do we need to "take over" this PR (create a new one based on it) to make the few last (seemingly small) fixes?
[20:08] <mhwood> Reasonably responsive.
[20:09] <mhwood> My last complaint is only 23 hours old.
[20:09] <tdonohue> OK. I'd recommend we ping them post-meeting to see if they can get this updated by end of week
[20:09] <mhwood> It took a while to figure out Firefox's JS debugger.
[20:09] <mhwood> OK
[20:10] <tdonohue> Moving along (for time), next up: DSPR#1162 (assigned me, but hpottinger has been testing it more than I so far)
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1162 ] - DS-2877 Import of ScienceDirect metadata including embargo and linking to or embedding of the final version by LetitiaMukherjee
[20:10] <tdonohue> It sounds like this one is also in need of updates for Mirage 1? Plus we need an API key?
[20:11] <tdonohue> I could always see if I could request an API key "on behalf of" demo.dspace.org that we could use. I don't know how long that's gonna take though
[20:12] <tdonohue> (I'm assuming we'd want such an API key anyways to show off this feature)
[20:12] <mhwood> Sensible.
[20:13] <mhwood> I think the code came partly from a different source, but it may have some of the same Mirage 1 issues.
[20:13] <tdonohue> I'll get in touch with Letitia (who commented on the PR about the API key) and see if we can get a general key for our Demo site that we can use for more testing.
[20:14] <tdonohue> moving along for now... DSPR#1160 seems to depend really on testing the previous two...it'll need merger for either of the above. So, I'm skipping it
[20:14] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1160 ] - DS-2876 Framework for importing external metadata by jonas-atmire
[20:14] <tdonohue> DSPR#1104 (me, sitting at +3)
[20:14] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1104 ] - DS-2654: Enhanced Configurations via Apache Commons Configuration by tdonohue
[20:15] <mhwood> Any reason not to pull it as soon as those last collisions are sorted?
[20:15] <tdonohue> Main update here is that 1104 is honestly "ready to go". I just need to do a final "rebase" once we are ready and move over the documentation. Plus make time for additional documentation changes (as many configs changed names).
[20:16] <tdonohue> mhwood: no, as mentioned previously on #dspace, 1104 is getting too large to manage. It now touches 317 files, and has a merge conflict with almost every new commit
[20:16] <mhwood> I would urge pulling it as soon as it is rebased.
[20:17] <tdonohue> I will warn though that others of these feature PRs may need (hopefully minor) rebasing as soon as it's merged. But, I'm glad to give developers tips/hints on the changes they'd need to make to rebase
[20:17] <mhwood> Fair enough.
[20:18] <tdonohue> I'm OK with pulling 1104 ASAP, assuming no one else has objections to raise here. I'd rather help others learn this anyhow, than keep rebasing it over and over again :)
[20:18] <mhwood> Please do that thing.
[20:19] <tdonohue> ok, will do. If anyone reading this has objections, please raise them to me today. I'll merge 1104 (likely) first thing tomorrow.
[20:20] <tdonohue> moving along now... DSPR#994
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/994 ] - DS-2659 new extensible platform health check reports with emailing by vidiecan
[20:20] <mhwood> I agree that this needs more work.
[20:20] <tdonohue> I added concerns to this PR as comments. This needs updates and cannot be merged as-is
[20:21] <tdonohue> If the developer is unresponsive, this will have to miss 6.0. But, we'll see if they respond
[20:21] <tdonohue> moving along, DSPR#970
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/970 ] - DS-2625 Extendable control panel by kosarko
[20:22] <tdonohue> This one seems reasonable to me. It sits at +1. I do notice that it adds some new configs, so there might be minor conflicts here with 1104
[20:23] <mhwood> Hm, well, it's +2 with helix84's earlier test.
[20:23] <tdonohue> (If there are conflicts though, they look to be minor)
[20:23] <tdonohue> Well, one option here is to merge this more immediately....then in my final rebase of 1104, I can make any small updates that are needed.
[20:25] <mhwood> It's quiet in here today. Yes, that seems reasonable.
[20:25] <tdonohue> It is quiet here :)
[20:26] <tdonohue> OK, for 970, I probably could give it a really quick run through this afternoon & (hopefully) merge it. Then I'll update 1104 in the morning & merge it
[20:26] <mhwood> OK by me.
[20:26] <tdonohue> That's the plan then.
[20:27] <tdonohue> Last one on the list (of features), DSPR#801
[20:27] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/801 ] - DS-1262 CSV export of search results in XMLUI by wwelling
[20:27] <tdonohue> Looks like this is waiting on response?
[20:27] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:28] <tdonohue> There's a lot of line notes here, and it seems like wwelling hasn't responded or worked on this since Dec 2014? (i.e. over one year ago)
[20:29] <tdonohue> It seems like the only way this is going to move forward is for us to claim it (create a new PR from it) and refactor it as we see fit
[20:29] <mhwood> Hm, you're right, only others commenting since a year ago.
[20:30] <tdonohue> I'll add a comment to that effect, see if we can find a (new) volunteer
[20:30] <mhwood> OK, thanks.
[20:31] <jcreel> Hey, I've got wwelling in the room and he'd like to take it back on.
[20:31] <jcreel> He wasn't getting notifications from GitHub for some reason.
[20:31] <tdonohue> jcreel: oh, cool. Thanks!
[20:32] <tdonohue> If we could get this rebased/refactored in the next week, I think there's still time. We just really need to move this forward ASAP, if possible
[20:32] <jcreel> We see the abstraction suggested by rradillen and it looks desirable.
[20:33] <tdonohue> Does getting this fixed up in about a week seem reasonable/doable, jcreel?
[20:33] <jcreel> It can get done by end of next week at the very latest.
[20:34] <tdonohue> Sounds good. I'd ask that you or wwelling please try to give us an update prior (or at) next week's DevMtg (Jan 27 @ 15:00UTC). That'll be our check-point, if it hasn't been updated prior to then
[20:35] <jcreel> Sounds good.
[20:35] <tdonohue> Thanks again, jcreel (and pass along our thanks to wwelling as well)
[20:35] <mhwood> Yes please.
[20:36] <jcreel> He's more than happy to work on it and is sorry he didn't see the activity on the comments on GitHub.
[20:37] <tdonohue> Ok, so that is our full list of outstanding Feature PRs. Sounds like we have plans for nearly all of them (those that we could make plans for today)
[20:38] <tdonohue> Any that still require action from developers (who are not here today) we should add comments to, in order to ping folks and give them a timeline of getting back by next week's DevMtg. I'm wanting to try and get a feature freeze in place next week, and the Jan 27 DevMtg will be our final checkpoint
[20:39] <tdonohue> (at least, that's my goal. We really need to get into a feature freeze)
[20:40] <tdonohue> So, that brings us to the other 6.0 PRs...namely improvements & bug fixes.
[20:41] <tdonohue> Oh, and "code tasks" (of which there are a few as well)
[20:42] <tdonohue> Before we jump into a list of all those, I'd like to highlight my other outstanding (larger) PR to remove Lucene: DSPR#1235
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1235 ] - DS-2187 : Remove Lucene search support by tdonohue
[20:42] <tdonohue> The only reason I want to highlight it is that, again, it's a large PR (mostly removal though, but 7K lines of it). Plus, it's something we really need to ensure gets into 6.0
[20:44] <tdonohue> It's sitting at +1...with some side comments (on a separate topic though) from other developers. I'd really like another tester though. I honestly don't think it's controversial though, and we can do more cleanup later if needed
[20:46] <tdonohue> (hpottinger & aschweer's comments here are mostly on DS-2268, which is only loosely related, and may not be fully fixed by this PR...but that's OK, as it's goal was not to directly fix it anyhow)
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2268 ] - [DS-2268] OpenSearch is still dependent on Lucene indexing, which might not be enabled - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:46] * mhwood is pondering how to test it.
[20:47] <tdonohue> It's really about pulling it down, building it...making sure that nothing obviously breaks (during build or when bringing up webapps & searching/browsing)
[20:47] <tdonohue> As mentioned, it's mostly a giant amount of code removal, with a few minor changes needed to extract Lucene in favor of Solr
[20:48] <mhwood> I will try to find time to check it out.
[20:49] <tdonohue> I'm mostly just wanting verification that nothing significant has broken (and it shouldn't have) before we merge it. If we find small issues here and there later on (in testing or testathon), we can obviously log them and get them fixed
[20:49] <mhwood> Yes
[20:50] <tdonohue> Ok, thanks, mhwood. I appreciate it
[20:51] <mhwood> Anyone looking for something tiny might want to consider DSPR#1019
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1019 ] - [DS-2463] iplists.com-non_engines.txt is outdated and slow by mwoodiupui
[20:51] <tdonohue> Ok, since we are running short on time, are there other specific 6.0 PRs folks would like to highlight for quick review?
[20:53] <mhwood> pbecker, I am interested in your opinion of DSPR#1044, as well as other reviewers.
[20:53] <tdonohue> 1019...uh, yea. I'll give that a +1. It'd be a huge benefit
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1044 ] - [DS-1837] Create a separate Maven artifact for the MultiRemoteDSpaceRepositoryHandlePlugin by mwoodiupui
[20:54] <pbecker> mhwood: sorry. First thin I'll do tomorrow (will leave the office in 6 minutes).
[20:54] <pbecker> s/thin/thing
[20:54] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: mhwood: sorry. First thing I'll do tomorrow (will leave the office in 6 minutes).
[20:54] <mhwood> Thank you.
[20:54] <mhwood> Yes it is late there.
[20:54] <pbecker> should have done this weeks before.
[20:54] <tdonohue> Any other PRs to highlight today?
[20:56] <pbecker> have to run. bye!
[20:56] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[20:57] <mhwood> #1171?
[20:57] <tdonohue> DSPR#1171
[20:57] <mhwood> Sorry, DSPR#1171
[20:57] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1171 ] - DS-2796 Solr core auto-discovery (static cores) by helix84
[20:57] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1171 ] - DS-2796 Solr core auto-discovery (static cores) by helix84
[20:57] <tdonohue> yea, I just stumbled on that one too. It looks interesting, but sounds like it needs more testing
[20:57] <mhwood> Drat, unfinished.
[20:58] <mhwood> I need to examine DSPR#1149.
[20:58] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1149 ] - Remove unused support for multiple kernels by akotynski
[20:58] <tdonohue> yep, it sounds like it needs more work...if anyone is willing to help here, 1171 sounds like a nice *simplification*, but it's not fully working yet
[21:00] <tdonohue> 1149: yes, this looks both interesting, and in need of a ton of testing (as it's so core to DSpace).
[21:00] <tdonohue> but, I like the idea behind 1149. It just needs closer investigation / testing (volunteers welcome)
[21:01] <tdonohue> As we're now at an hour though, I think we'll stop there for today (plus it has been a mostly quiet group today)
[21:02] <mhwood> OK, I have a big todo list already. :-)
[21:03] <tdonohue> I'll add a comment to outstanding 6.0 feature PRs that we need updates (or updated status) by next week. We'll then aim for trying to get to a feature freeze sometime next week
[21:03] <tdonohue> With that, the official meeting is closed. I'll still be around (though trying to work on some PR testing/merging) as needed
[21:04] <mhwood> I'll be here for another hour as well.
[21:06] <jcreel> So, we did a module to add functionality to the REST API whereby you could change the bundle of a bitstream.
[21:06] <jcreel> It might be a nice pull request for 7
[21:07] <jcreel> so, not a priority exactly
[21:07] <mhwood> Please write it up, when you have a moment, so it can get some attention.
[21:08] <jcreel> I sent an email to the dspace-devel list that describes my concerns
[21:08] <jcreel> Now, should one make pull requests against the master branch?
[21:08] <mhwood> Great.
[21:09] <mhwood> I usually do, unless they are specifically for some other (usually older) branch.
[21:09] <tdonohue> jcreel: yes, we always recommend PRs against "master" branch (the only exception would be if you were fixing a bug specific to an older version of DSpace)
[21:09] <jcreel> Sounds about right. Yeah, the methods on the DSOs changed considerably from 5.x to master.
[21:11] <jcreel> So the improvement would need a bit of rewriting that raises some interesting issues. Anyway, i provided some detail in my email.
[21:12] <mhwood> I will take a look at that.
[21:13] <jcreel> Thanks!
[21:40] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[21:46] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[22:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-226-113-104.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.