#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-04-06

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:22] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-pirlekmbipxdgwuj) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[2:05] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[3:59] * awoods (~awoods@c-98-245-50-182.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[4:27] * dspacedeveloper (d2d48222@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[4:27] <dspacedeveloper> Hi
[4:28] * dspacedeveloper (d2d48222@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[4:44] * theDiSCLAiMER (~pbuenapos@ has joined #duraspace
[6:56] -adams.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:56] -adams.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:56] -adams.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:56] -adams.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:56] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:56] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:56] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:19] * theDiSCLAiMER (~pbuenapos@ has left #duraspace
[10:53] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[11:22] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[12:58] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:33] * awoods (~awoods@c-98-245-50-182.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:38] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:56] <tdonohue> Hi all, reminder that the DSpace DevMtg is starting shortly: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-04-06
[14:56] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-04-06 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-04-06
[15:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers meeting (agenda above).
[15:01] <mhwood> Hi.
[15:01] <tdonohue> Wow, we're a small group today it seems.. pinging helix84, mhwood, terry-b (only Committers here so far)
[15:01] <terry-b> My staff meeting is scheduled to be going on, so I will be tracking in the background.
[15:02] <tdonohue> So, before we get started, in our agenda, I've added an "Ongoing Reminder" (above the Discussion Topics) with links to the ongoing Angular 2 expanded prototype UI. I just want to keep it in the back of folks minds, but we won't really be discussing it today
[15:03] <tdonohue> But, if anyone does end up with questions about the status of that expanded prototype, you are more than welcome to ask. I just don't want to take time away from our DSpace 6.0 efforts in today's mtg
[15:04] <tdonohue> In any case, on to DSpace 6. I *really* wish there were more of us here today. This seems the same as last week... it's mostly just mhwood and I :)
[15:05] <tdonohue> The good news here is that we really are doing well at cutting down on our outstanding 6.0 PRs (thanks to everyone's hard work). Numbers now stand at : 1 feature, 1 blocker (before RC1), 6 improvements, 6 code tasks.
[15:06] <tdonohue> As I forwarded on to -commit (Committers list), I'm personally starting to wonder if the 1 feature (DSPR#1162) needs rescheduling for 7.0. But, I'm not sure we have enough people here to discuss that, so it may have to be a Committer list discussion
[15:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1162 ] - DS-2877 Import of ScienceDirect metadata including embargo and linking to or embedding of the final version by LetitiaMukherjee
[15:08] <tdonohue> Whatever the final decision, we will need/want to document the steps we'd like to see to improve/enhance this PR. I'll gladly do so, based on the (future) input from the Committers
[15:09] <tdonohue> and I just noticed mhwood already gave his input on the -commit list. So, I'd encourage other Committers (here or reading this later) to do the same.
[15:09] <mhwood> Thank you for taking point on that.
[15:10] <mhwood> Yes, those concerns already noted suggest some areas where we might make DSpace more useful beyond the immediate needs of ScienceDirect, in a better integrated way.
[15:10] <tdonohue> no problem :)
[15:11] <tdonohue> yep, agreed. So, in any case, since there's only two of us here, seems like we leave that discussion for email (and hope others take part there, so we can come to a quick resolution)
[15:11] <mhwood> Yes.
[15:13] <tdonohue> Moving along, with regards to our outstanding "blocker"...it's this ticket / PR : DS-2940, DSPR#881. I know pbecker has promised to solve the reported issues this week
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2940 ] - [DS-2940] Metadata problems with the VersionedHandleIdentifierProvider - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/881 ] - DS-3109: Introduce a VersionedHandleIdentifierProvider that creates new handles for each version by pnbecker
[15:13] <tdonohue> So, I'm not sure if there's much more to be solved with that blocker today either, unfortunately
[15:14] <tdonohue> latest status is that the PR has a small bug it seems (verified by hpottinger and KevinVdV) and pbecker said he'd fix it
[15:15] <mhwood> Ah, there it is. The history is a bit tangled.
[15:16] <tdonohue> So, since no one else seems to want to join us today, mhwood. Maybe we just spend some time reviewing other PRs and seeing if any are ones we can merge?
[15:16] <mhwood> Can do that.
[15:17] <tdonohue> Ok, since it's just two of us, perhaps we take a look at some of the "quick win" PRs : https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.0
[15:17] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.0
[15:17] <tdonohue> starting at DSPR#1346 (which is an issue we just found last week, mhwood)
[15:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1346 ] - DS-3116 : Only log errors if service bean cannot be located. by tdonohue
[15:19] <tdonohue> This is the SpringServiceManager logging issue. I opted to replace some improper ERROR logs with INFO logs, and ensure that if there truly *is* a problem, an ERROR gets logged in the end
[15:19] <mhwood> I presume that getBeansOfType throws BeansException if there are none.
[15:19] <mhwood> I like what I see, but wanted to check that one thing and hadn't had time.
[15:20] <mhwood> Yup, it does. I'll add my +1
[15:21] <tdonohue> thanks for verifying. I was just trying to track down the answer myself :)
[15:22] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds good. I'll just wait a bit more for more comments (and possibly another +1), but it seems like an obvious fix to me
[15:22] <mhwood> Yes indeed.
[15:22] <tdonohue> I'll merge it later this week if no objections
[15:23] <tdonohue> moving along... DSPR#1344
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1344 ] - DS-3112 Default dc.identifier.uri config shouldn&#39;t assume handle serv… by bram-atmire · Pull Request #1344 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub
[15:24] <tdonohue> oh, this one. I forgot, there's a few (very) minor changes I wanted Bram to make. Just re-comment out the settings in 'local.cfg.EXAMPLE' as that file is supposed to just be examples of overrides
[15:24] <tdonohue> Beyond that though, I think 1344 looks good
[15:25] <mhwood> I agree, it makes sense. Somewhat less if you are familiar with the Handle System, but it should work.
[15:26] <tdonohue> I added a minor comment to the PR for bram. I'll wait for his response, but this is looking good to me
[15:26] <tdonohue> moving along... DSPR#1330 (looks to be assigned to KevinVdV)
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1330 ] - [DS-850] Fields with closed vocabulary are not saved by leocsilva
[15:27] <tdonohue> aha, he noted one last problem, then the PR can be merged. He's on top of this one, so we can skip it
[15:27] <tdonohue> DSPR#1328 is next
[15:27] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1328 ] - [DS-2621] adjust check to enable not mandatory collection via jsp by lap82
[15:28] <tdonohue> This looks tiny to me, but might need a quick test in JSPUI
[15:29] <mhwood> I don't know the guts of JSPUI well enough to say anything useful here.
[15:30] <tdonohue> yes, the ticket describes the problem. It seems easy to test, just needs a quick test. So, maybe we just skip this, and look for someone who has time to test that this solves the minor bug
[15:30] <mhwood> I think so.
[15:30] <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#1327
[15:30] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1327 ] - DS-2941 PasswordAuthentication getSpecialGroups empty exception catchblock by DylanMeeus
[15:31] <tdonohue> This looks like a tiny obvious change...refactor to use StringUtils.isNotBlank, and add an error log stmt
[15:31] <mhwood> Yes.
[15:32] <mhwood> Aside: some day we ought to resolve our use of commons.lang vs. commons.lang3.
[15:32] <tdonohue> agreed, we should. It's likely just a (big) code replacement task in an IDE
[15:32] <mhwood> Not a problem here, though. This looks good.
[15:33] <tdonohue> Shall we merge this then? two +1's?
[15:33] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@ has joined #duraspace
[15:33] <mhwood> Yes.
[15:34] <tdonohue> done
[15:35] <tdonohue> Hi KevinVdV! It's just been mhwood and I here today, so we've just been reviewing "quick win" PRs
[15:35] <KevinVdV> tdonohue: Ok great
[15:35] <KevinVdV> I did what I could the last couple of days
[15:36] <mhwood> Yes, thank you.
[15:36] <tdonohue> yes, thanks for that! It's been good to see folks helping out (also noticed kshepherd did some good work recently too)
[15:36] <tdonohue> So, next up in our list, DSPR#1306
[15:36] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1306 ] - DS-3021 upgrade xerces by helix84
[15:37] <tdonohue> This is a tiny change and has been tested by kshepherd. Seems like an obvious one to merge
[15:38] <KevinVdV> I agree & with the maven dependency check we should be safe for unwanted depenendency side effects
[15:39] <mhwood> Did xmlParserAPIs 2 become xml-apis 1.4, or are we moving backward? I'm not well versed in these variant releases to Central.
[15:39] <mhwood> Never mind, he explains.
[15:39] <tdonohue> mhwood: look at the PR description, where helix84 describes that oddity, where 1.4 is *newer* than 2
[15:40] <tdonohue> I'm giving this a +1 and merging
[15:40] <KevinVdV> Great thx !
[15:40] <mhwood> No objection.
[15:40] <mhwood> I note that the *dates* are newer but that may not say anything about the code. However, we need to clean this up, and it *has* been tested by kshepherd.
[15:41] <tdonohue> merged & closed ticket
[15:41] <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#1268
[15:41] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1268 ] - DS-2987 Solved metadata loss by qualdrop fields in DescribeStep by juanmanuelcata
[15:42] <tdonohue> This *looks* like a quick win to me, but may need a test.
[15:43] <tdonohue> The ticket does a good job of explaining how to reproduce this issue, which is helpful
[15:43] <KevinVdV> I will claim & attempt to close tomorrow
[15:43] <KevinVdV> Because I think this one will need a quick test run
[15:43] <tdonohue> Thanks KevinVdV! Much appreciated. I agree, it needs a quick test run before merging
[15:44] <KevinVdV> If it works I merge ok ?
[15:44] <tdonohue> Yes, I'd say it's OK to merge if it works right. The code looks reasonable to me
[15:44] <mhwood> OK
[15:45] <tdonohue> Moving along for now... DSPR#1252
[15:45] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1252 ] - [DS-2995] Wrong order in breadcrumb trail in collection display and item display by KevinVdV
[15:46] <tdonohue> huh, wasn't familiar with com.google.common.collect.Lists ... But, the refactor concept here looks correct to me. I assume this has been tested, etc?
[15:47] <tdonohue> And the new code is a ton cleaner :)
[15:47] <KevinVdV> I tested it, but instead of reinventing the wheel I like to use utils
[15:48] <tdonohue> I completely agree with not reinventing the wheel. :)
[15:48] <mhwood> The meat of this seems to be line 826/818.
[15:48] <mhwood> The code was simply adding at the wrong end of the list, I think.
[15:49] <mhwood> Looks good to me.
[15:49] <tdonohue> Yes, I'd say this looks good to merge too. I'll add a +1, if I can get another from mhwood, we can merge it
[15:50] <mhwood> You have it.
[15:51] <tdonohue> merged PR & closed ticket
[15:51] <mhwood> I was looking at this the other day, and didn't see the change that fixed the problem, but I see it now.
[15:51] * tdonohue notes that I have a DSpace Steering meeting in ~10 minutes. So, I'll have to close up this meeting right at the top of the hour (or a minute earlier)
[15:52] <tdonohue> Still, I think we have time for one or two more here
[15:52] <tdonohue> DSPR#1241
[15:52] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1241 ] - [DS-2633] Fix NPE during SAF format import with collection files by jmarton
[15:52] <tdonohue> ugh, this is so obvious it "hurts"
[15:53] <mhwood> Ugh. I've seen that before. We must have had more than one.
[15:53] <tdonohue> I think this seems like a "just merge it" candidate
[15:53] <KevinVdV> Agreed
[15:53] <mhwood> Yes
[15:55] <tdonohue> merged PR & closed ticket
[15:55] <tdonohue> One last one: DSPR#1224
[15:55] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1224 ] - DS-1955 embargo reason length by KevinVdV
[15:56] <KevinVdV> This one will need a quick test run from somebody else but me
[15:56] <KevinVdV> But should be failry easy to test.
[15:56] <tdonohue> This looks like an obvious fix to the resourcepolicy table. But, yea, I agree it might be nice to run a quick test
[15:57] <mhwood> I can try it.
[15:57] <tdonohue> I'm gonna have to leave here shortly (unfortunately). But, this definitely seems like something to try to get in *before* RC1 (since it involves a DB migration)
[15:57] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood!
[15:58] <tdonohue> If it works, I'd say we merge this. Already has one +1 from helix84, I see
[15:58] <mhwood> Will do.
[15:59] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:59] <tdonohue> With that, I'm going to have to close up the meeting for today. I'll try to touch base with pbecker this week (once he's back) about the remaining 6.0 blocker. I'd encourage Committers to comment on the remaining feature PR (see -commit email)
[15:59] <tdonohue> Hopefully next week we can *finally* schedule our 6.0 testathon!
[15:59] * tdonohue is heading into lurking now to attend DSpace Steering mtg. Thanks all!
[16:02] <KevinVdV> Ok until next time !
[16:02] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@ Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[16:02] <mhwood> I will be around in #dspace, if we have enough here to do more reviews.
[18:20] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[18:40] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:31] * th5 (~Adium@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[21:10] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[21:27] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:49] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-101-240.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Excess Flood)
[21:49] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-101-240.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:54] * th5 (~Adium@unaffiliated/th5) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[22:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:13] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[22:52] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[23:22] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.