#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-05-04

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:19] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[2:19] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[2:24] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[4:20] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[4:26] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[6:22] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[6:26] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[7:01] -adams.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[7:01] -adams.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[7:01] -adams.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[7:01] -adams.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[7:01] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[7:01] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[7:01] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:48] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) has joined #duraspace
[7:57] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[10:23] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[10:28] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[12:23] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:24] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[12:30] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[13:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:26] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[14:30] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[14:33] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[14:53] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome to this week's DSpace DevMtg: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-05-04
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-05-04 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-05-04
[15:01] <tdonohue> Wow, this is a seemingly empty(ish) room :(
[15:02] <tdonohue> I see two committers... mhwood, helix84... are you both around?
[15:02] * KevinVdV (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <mhwood> Here
[15:02] <tdonohue> Aha, there's KevinVdV (was just noting we have a rather empty room right now)
[15:02] <KevinVdV> Hi, yeah I’m going to be here in flashes today I’m afraid… have a 3 day work week & work for a week so …
[15:03] <tdonohue> ok, good to know
[15:04] <tdonohue> So, before we jump into Testathon topics, I wanted to note I'll be traveling next week (DuraSpace all staff meeting) and I won't be able to attend this meeting next week (May 11 @ 20UTC)
[15:05] <tdonohue> My suspicion is that next week it'll still be "Bug triage" mode (trying to resolve bugs reported in Testathon and get closer to a final 6.0)
[15:06] <tdonohue> Is anyone here willing to lead that meeting, or at least get it semi-organized? I suspect it really could just be JIRA/PR reviews mostly, trying to get fixes tested/reviewed, and volunteers for other bugs
[15:07] <tdonohue> I think the key point though is to keep the concentration on getting 6.0 out the door (and resolving issues there as soon as we can). We have limited weeks between now and OR16, and it'd be really nice to say we have 6.0 released at OR16
[15:07] <mhwood> I should be able to do that. (Meetings through the day, but the last one ends at 1900UTC)
[15:08] <tdonohue> Thanks mhwood. I'd really appreciate it. I'll check in on the logs afterwards (obviously)
[15:08] <mhwood> I just put it on my calendar.
[15:08] <tdonohue> So, regarding the goals for today's mtg. Obviously one of the main ones is to check in on 6.0 Testathon. We have a lot of great testing that has resulted in a lot of reported bugs...some have fixes that need testing, others still need volunteers to fix them.
[15:09] <tdonohue> At current count, we have a whooping 41 unresolved bugs reported during Testathon: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon
[15:09] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon
[15:10] <tdonohue> So, there's no shortage in our need for help. Anyone listening in (or reading this later) is more than welcome to grab a bug and create a PR. My suspicion is many of these are smaller, but they each require some attention, obviously
[15:11] <mhwood> We have roughly 20 still in Received state. I presume that we'll triage those sometime in the next couple of hours.
[15:12] <tdonohue> mhwood: I actually have a meeting conflict for the next hour. But, we could jump into triaging these now (and it might be useful having KevinVdV here for that, since it seems several of these might be Hibernate / Service API refactor related, and maybe someone at @mire can help)
[15:13] <tdonohue> By "for the next hour" I meant during JIRA review hour (16UTC), I have a mtg conflict
[15:14] <tdonohue> Here's the tickets that are still in "Received" status: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20Received%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon
[15:14] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20Received%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon
[15:14] <tdonohue> We could run through these quickly to see if we can find a volunteer, or minimally flag as "needs volunteer"
[15:14] <tdonohue> DS-3196
[15:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3196 ] - [DS-3196] Metadata export at community level ignores records in sub-communities - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:15] <tdonohue> sounds like a bug. I wonder if this worked right in 5.x, or if it's a newly introduced issue. Needs volunteer though
[15:15] <mhwood> Yes, needs volunteer. It smells like something simple...
[15:16] <tdonohue> flagged as needs volunteer. Mentioned we may want to compare with 5.x, as this could have been a refactoring issue or something small
[15:16] <tdonohue> DS-3195
[15:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3195 ] - [DS-3195] Show all my archived submissions generates error - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:17] <tdonohue> attached error stack shows an NPE, yuck
[15:18] <tdonohue> Definitely needs a volunteer/fix.
[15:18] <mhwood> Agreed
[15:18] <tdonohue> this sounds like it would be refactoring related, likely
[15:19] <mhwood> *sigh* Gotta find the time to write that functional test suite, so we catch these sooner.
[15:19] <tdonohue> Flagged as needs volunteer. Next up, DS-3194
[15:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3194 ] - [DS-3194] Recent submissions page 2 cannot be found - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:20] <tdonohue> huh, this one is a Page cannot be found error
[15:21] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:21] <tdonohue> flagged as needs volunteer
[15:22] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3191
[15:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3191 ] - [DS-3191] CC license is not preserved when creating a version of an item - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:22] <mhwood> Sounds like a bug, alright.
[15:22] <tdonohue> yuck. Another that probably warrants comparison to 5.x to see how this worked then
[15:23] <tdonohue> flagged needs volunteer
[15:23] <tdonohue> DS-3188
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3188 ] - [DS-3188] Switching language redirects to home page - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:24] <mhwood> Definitely unexpected behavior. Needs volunteer.
[15:24] <tdonohue> agreed. flagged as such
[15:24] <tdonohue> DS-3171
[15:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3171 ] - [DS-3171] Subscription list not shown - JSPUI Test Plan Ref EP4 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:24] <tdonohue> ClassCastException here
[15:25] <mhwood> No question: a bug.
[15:25] <tdonohue> Sounds like Service API issue. Likely something smaller
[15:25] <mhwood> Yes. Needs volunteer.
[15:26] <hpottinger> btw, I'm lurking and following along, whenever someone says "needs volunteer" imagine me nodding.
[15:26] <tdonohue> flagged as such
[15:26] <tdonohue> DS-3169
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3169 ] - [DS-3169] Side bar text at community &amp; sub-community level does not appear on the side - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:27] <tdonohue> huh. This sounds like it wouldn't be unique to 6.x (not sure what may have changed here between 5.x and 6.x). But still sounds odd
[15:27] <mhwood> Sounds like something changed in Community but not in Collection. Didn't we have another like that?
[15:28] <mhwood> Nope, it was top Community vs. sub and Collection there.
[15:28] <tdonohue> Oh, I see. This is odd. The Communities also show "Discover" facets in the middle of the page, while Collections rightly show them as a sidebar
[15:28] <tdonohue> Community: http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/handle/10673/82
[15:28] <kompewter> [ DSpace Demo Repository: And kittens are smaller people! ] - http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/handle/10673/82
[15:28] <tdonohue> Collection: http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/handle/10673/83
[15:28] <kompewter> [ DSpace Demo Repository: Let's collect all the kittens! ] - http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/handle/10673/83
[15:28] <hpottinger> sounds like CSS oddities
[15:29] <tdonohue> It does sound like a CSS issue
[15:30] <hpottinger> sometimes it helps to run the xml/html through a validator, and the CSS, too.
[15:30] <tdonohue> added notes on the issue, flagged "needs volunteer"
[15:30] <tdonohue> DS-3168
[15:30] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3168 ] - [DS-3168] XMLUI Testathon: Embargo request Unknown Entity RequestItem Test Plan Ref: VIEW9 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:31] <tdonohue> Hibernate MappingException :( KevinVdV, did you see this one?
[15:32] <tdonohue> Definitely an ugly error here though
[15:32] <tdonohue> flagging needs volunteer for now
[15:33] <tdonohue> DS-3165
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3165 ] - [DS-3165] Cannot assign a group READ policy in XMLUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <tdonohue> yuck "Invalid UUID String"
[15:35] <mhwood> That looks like it'll be simpler to fix than to diagnose.
[15:35] <tdonohue> yes, seems like anotehr minor issue in refactoring
[15:35] <KevinVdV> Assigned the missing table to me
[15:36] <tdonohue> For all these issues that seem refactoring related, I'm bumping their priority up to "Critical"
[15:36] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3164
[15:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3164 ] - [DS-3164] Item statistic displays UUID of bitstreams instead of name - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:37] <tdonohue> tiny bug, but probably should give the name
[15:37] <mhwood> Yes. There are several like this, as I recall.
[15:37] <tdonohue> next, DS-3163
[15:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3163 ] - [DS-3163] Error while harvesting content from demo.dspace.org - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:38] <tdonohue> huh, this may need more info. Not clear the issue, but sounds like a bug
[15:39] <tdonohue> so, it needs reproducing so we can see what the underlying error stack looks like
[15:39] <tdonohue> still, needs volunteer
[15:39] <mhwood> Yes
[15:40] <tdonohue> DS-3162
[15:40] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3162 ] - [DS-3162] all existing export displayed in every user home page - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:40] <tdonohue> yuck. Well, at least the security gets checked in the end. (not a security issue). But bad design
[15:41] <mhwood> What you said.
[15:41] <tdonohue> Sounds like another possible refactoring issue though...maybe something minor
[15:42] <tdonohue> next, DS-3161
[15:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3161 ] - [DS-3161] XMLUI Cannot Configure a harvested collection - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:42] <tdonohue> I know there are outstanding issues with OAI Harvesting (an outstanding PR on this). it's possible this is related
[15:42] <KevinVdV> I think a lot of these OAI issues can be resolved by: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1326
[15:42] <kompewter> [ DS-3086 OAI Harvester is broken by DylanMeeus · Pull Request #1326 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1326
[15:43] <KevinVdV> It also includes performance upgrades (see jira for the details)
[15:43] <tdonohue> thanks, I was just looking for that link, KevinVdV
[15:43] <KevinVdV> But requires testers & approval of the method
[15:44] <tdonohue> I linked this ticket up with 3086
[15:44] <tdonohue> and marked needs volunteer for now (until we get testers)
[15:44] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3160
[15:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3160 ] - [DS-3160] demo.dspace.org - links to mobile site - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:45] <tdonohue> this is less a bug and more a list of questions about demo site setup
[15:45] <mhwood> Those are good questions.
[15:46] <tdonohue> I honestly think the "mobile site" is nearly obsolete (because of Mirage 2). We probably should officially deprecate it
[15:47] <tdonohue> Sounds like for now though the mobile site isn't working on demo. I'll leave this ticket open as-is until we can fix that
[15:47] <tdonohue> DS-3159
[15:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3159 ] - [DS-3159] I got an error again when I used the button to request an embargoed item - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:48] <tdonohue> sounds like a bug. Needs to be reproduced though so we can see what the error stack is
[15:48] <mhwood> Yes
[15:48] <KevinVdV> Will this one not be similar to: RequestItem table that is missing ?
[15:49] <tdonohue> KevinVdV. Actually it may be
[15:49] <tdonohue> Do you want to claim this too?
[15:49] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-101-240.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:49] <KevinVdV> it affects the same codebase, so linking this together would make sense
[15:49] <KevinVdV> Assigned to me
[15:49] <KevinVdV> I’ll take a look
[15:49] <tdonohue> I'll link it up to 3168 then
[15:50] <KevinVdV> Will prob need to create a single solution anyway
[15:50] <terry-b> Joining in late. Hello everyone.
[15:50] * mhwood waves
[15:50] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: agreed. probalby a single solution will fix both of these
[15:50] <tdonohue> Ok, next up, DS-3157
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3157 ] - [DS-3157] browse by author displays authority key instead of value - JSPUI Test Plan Ref DISC6 - XMLUI DISC8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:51] <tdonohue> Small issue, annoying though. Needs volunteer
[15:51] <mhwood> Yes
[15:52] <tdonohue> next, DS-3156
[15:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3156 ] - [DS-3156] Strange string instead of author name in discover - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:52] <tdonohue> another one of these
[15:52] <tdonohue> sounds like a duplicate of 3157 (or tightly related)
[15:53] <tdonohue> flagged needs volunteer
[15:53] <mhwood> Or 3164
[15:53] * tdonohue is moving quickly now. I need to head to a Steering Group meeting in ~5mins
[15:53] <tdonohue> DS-3155
[15:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3155 ] - [DS-3155] non conformant to accessibility standards - DSpace 6 JSPUI Test Plan Ref VIEW8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:54] <tdonohue> agreed. accessibility should be fixed. This might not be 6.x specific, but is an issue
[15:54] <tdonohue> DS-3153
[15:54] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3153 ] - [DS-3153] Binary Release packages are missing local.cfg.EXAMPLE and README.md - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:54] <tdonohue> minor release packaging issue. Shouldn't be hard to fix. I can claim this one
[15:55] <tdonohue> DS-3152
[15:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3152 ] - [DS-3152] long file name breaks item display - test plan jspui Ref VIEW5 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:55] <tdonohue> sounds like a possible CSS issue
[15:56] <tdonohue> That's it for the "testathon" bugs that were in the "Received" state!
[15:56] <mhwood> Yay.
[15:56] <tdonohue> I'm going to have to head out shortly. But, for those here. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... we need more bug fixers & testers (of PRs)!
[15:57] <tdonohue> The concentration is on bugs labeled "testathon" or any other major PRs. But, we really need help. Currently it seems like we only have a few people actively helping fix bugs or test bugs
[15:58] <tdonohue> Bugs labeled "testathon": https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon
[15:58] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon
[15:58] <mhwood> I presume that, once a fix is merged, we want to get it onto demo quickly.
[15:58] <tdonohue> mhwood: ideally, yes. Technically testathon ends on Friday. But, we could still likely ask folks to test very specific fixes even after that point.
[15:59] <mhwood> <selfish>I would like to get some of my fixes merged so that I can clear the storage for their test instances, so I have enough to write more fixes.</selfish>
[15:59] <tdonohue> The concentration now should be really about getting fixes completed and merged. It's not end of the world if they don't get pushed out to demo.dspace.org immediately. Though if they are *major* fixes, it'd be nice to get others to still test them
[16:00] <tdonohue> mhwood++ Please encourage others to take a look at them today (or even in the next hour, JIRA review hour if folks can stick around)
[16:00] <tdonohue> Unfortunately, I have to run now to a Steering Meeting. I'll be lurking, but not actively
[16:00] <mhwood> Thanks tdonohue.
[16:00] <tdonohue> The meeting is closed. Please continue however in #dspace to review PRs, if possible
[16:01] <mhwood> I will be there.
[16:04] * KevinVdV (~kevin@ Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[16:26] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[16:27] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[16:31] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[18:28] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[18:33] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[20:29] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[20:33] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[21:11] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:47] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[21:54] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:30] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[22:35] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[23:59] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.