#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-05-11

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:26] * terry-b3 (~chrome@71-212-101-240.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[3:17] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[3:26] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[4:04] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[6:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:33] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:33] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:33] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:33] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:37] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[8:24] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[8:25] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) has joined #duraspace
[12:26] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[13:07] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:39] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:25] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-101-240.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:38] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:40] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[15:54] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:23] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[17:38] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[17:43] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[17:47] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: 'bye everyone)
[18:20] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[18:32] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:40] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[19:44] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[19:48] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[19:56] * pmarrone (~pmarrone@180-41-17-190.fibertel.com.ar) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <mhwood> DSpace developer meeting starting now if anyone is there....
[20:01] <mhwood> I apologize: I did not update the agenda from last week. There really isn't any change though.
[20:02] <mhwood> Tim is not available today, so I will be moderating.
[20:03] <mhwood> It appears that Testathon has concluded. Thanks to everyone who was able to give some time to test 6.0-RC1.
[20:04] <mhwood> You found a nice crop of bugs for us to work on. :-/
[20:05] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:05] <terry-b> How has performance been looking for folks?
[20:05] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <terry-b> I have only tested on a small instance so far.
[20:05] <mhwood> Same here: usually a new, empty instance.
[20:09] <mhwood> I did notice one thing about PostgreSQL that might be significant for operations that involve repetitive queries: as installed, prepared statements are disabled. There's a knob in the Pg configuration to set a limit on concurrent prepared statements.
[20:10] <terry-b> I assume that is in a postgres config file not a dspace config file.
[20:10] <mhwood> Right.
[20:11] <mhwood> max_prepared_transactions in postgresql.conf.
[20:11] <terry-b> I presume that would also cause issues in prior versions of DSpace
[20:11] <mhwood> There are a few uses of PreparedStatement in MigrationUtils.
[20:12] <mhwood> It shouldn't cause anything to *fail*, but it may have performance implications in bulk operations.
[20:12] <mhwood> I don't know Hibernate well enough to say whether HQL operations will be affected.
[20:13] <mhwood> There are probably other places we should look first, for performance tweaks. But I wanted to mention this, since I ran across it.
[20:17] <mhwood> Meanwhile: hpottinger and pbecker worked through some PRs earlier today (thanks!) but we still have a number of Testathon-tagged issues awaiting code review, and others awaiting volunteers, plus a few not yet triaged.
[20:18] <mhwood> https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%2C%20status
[20:18] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%2C%20status
[20:20] <terry-b> I presume 3202, 3163 and 3161 are related
[20:22] <mhwood> That seems reasonable. They may all be related through DS-3086.
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3086 ] - [DS-3086] OAI Harvester is broken (NPEs around several classes) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:23] <mhwood> Ah, that one. It touches 120 files.
[20:25] <mhwood> The PR has drifted into conflict again. So marked.
[20:26] <mhwood> Should I link 3202 and 3163 to 3086 as well?
[20:26] <terry-b> I think that makes sense
[20:27] <terry-b> It will be good to see which ones can be addressed with a single fix
[20:28] <mhwood> Now we just need to get someone to review 3086.
[20:29] <mhwood> Do you get the feeling that there are only the two of us here?
[20:30] <mhwood> (I realize that this is an inconvenient time in large parts of the world.)
[20:30] <terry-b> I wish the IRC client had a way to convey status/availability
[20:31] <mhwood> It would have helped if I had gotten the email off sooner. I suppose it *did* go out, eventually? Google Groups wouldn't accept it by mail and I had to go figure out their UI to send it.
[20:32] <terry-b> I added a note that https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3160 is partially resolved. The only remaining question is whether demo.dspace.org still needs a separate link for mobile
[20:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3160 ] - [DS-3160] demo.dspace.org - links to mobile site - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:32] <kompewter> [ [DS-3160] demo.dspace.org - links to mobile site - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3160
[20:33] <terry-b> How is the landing page managed?
[20:33] <mhwood> Looking that up now...
[20:34] <mhwood> It appears to be static files in ~/tomcat/webapps/ROOT
[20:38] <terry-b> I see that is linked to https://github.com/DSpace/demo.dspace.org
[20:38] <kompewter> [ GitHub - DSpace/demo.dspace.org: Repository of the demo.dspace.org site landing page ] - https://github.com/DSpace/demo.dspace.org
[20:39] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:40] <mhwood> And hpottinger makes three.
[20:41] <hpottinger> 'ello!
[20:42] <mhwood> Any opinion on whether we still need a distinct mobile instance on demo? My LG VX5600 is probably not a fair test. :-)
[20:43] <terry-b> It is hard to imagine why that interface would be preferred over the mobile experience of Mirage2.
[20:43] <hpottinger> well... we did accept the contribution, so it's "our code"...
[20:44] <terry-b> When we upgraded to DSpace 5, we made our mobile site link to a Mirage2 theme
[20:45] <terry-b> I would be happy to comment out that line, but I do not know if there is still a valid use case to keep supporting that old mobile theme.
[20:45] <hpottinger> we don't have to answer the related question of "do we still support this code?" just yet
[20:46] <hpottinger> but if it's not running, not linking to it seems prudent
[20:46] <mhwood> It's simply XMLUI with a theme just for tiny screens, right? We don't demo every theme that ships with DSpace.
[20:46] <terry-b> hpottinger, good point, it is a misleading link
[20:47] <terry-b> Or a theme configuration error if it is intended to be supported
[20:47] <terry-b> No one else seemed to comment on it during the testathon
[20:47] <hpottinger> I'm OK with removing the link, is Mirage2 the demo theme?
[20:48] <terry-b> It is now. It was not when I first submitted DS-3160
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3160 ] - [DS-3160] demo.dspace.org - links to mobile site - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:48] <terry-b> I will comment out that line. I would also like to add a link to the rest reports in the REST section if you all approve of that change
[20:48] <hpottinger> well then, yeah, if Mirage2 is running, let's lose the link to the "mobile" theme
[20:49] <hpottinger> +1 demo those reports
[20:50] <mhwood> Reports sound like something we should showcase.
[20:50] <mhwood> Also, as a recent feature, they need exercise. :-)
[20:51] <hpottinger> anything else need more attention?
[20:52] <mhwood> https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%2C%20status
[20:52] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20testathon%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%2C%20status
[20:52] <mhwood> Lots of Code Review Needed, Volunteer Needed.
[20:52] <hpottinger> heads up, I need to run right at 21 UTC
[20:53] <mhwood> I also need to leave rather promptly at 2100.
[20:53] <mhwood> We have a blocker and a number of critical issues from Testathon.
[20:54] <mhwood> Shall we at least read over DS-3202 and move it out of Received?
[20:54] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3202 ] - [DS-3202] OAI-PMH broken on demo.dspace.org - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:56] <terry-b> Sounds good
[20:56] <terry-b> (I resolved 3160)
[20:57] <mhwood> NPE sounds like a bug to me.
[20:57] <terry-b> Bug confirmed using the links provided
[20:58] <hpottinger> is the OAI index getting built on demo?
[20:58] <mhwood> Needs Volunteer, then. But may be related to 3086.
[20:58] <mhwood> Good question.
[20:59] <mhwood> # Run XOAI incremental import (and optimization)
[20:59] <mhwood> 0 6 * * * $HOME/dspace/bin/dspace oai import -o > /dev/null
[20:59] <mhwood> But it should not NPE even if the index is missing or corrupt.
[21:00] <hpottinger> Hmm... here's what I run from crontab:
[21:00] <hpottinger> /bin/dspace oai import -c -o clean-cache
[21:01] <hpottinger> I'm running that now on demo
[21:01] <mhwood> That line in the trace should only NPE if SolrDocument.getFieldValues() can return null rather than an empty Collection.
[21:02] <mhwood> Of course the javadoc on that method says nothing much.
[21:02] <hpottinger> done, trying those links again
[21:02] <mhwood> That will be a good test either way, but the NPE should still be fixed.
[21:02] <hpottinger> same result
[21:02] <hpottinger> still broke
[21:03] <mhwood> Not surprising. I've gotta go, but I'm going to make this Needs Volunteer unless there is objection.
[21:03] <hpottinger> +1 needs volunteer
[21:03] <terry-b> I am trying to open my OAI instance to see if I have the same error
[21:05] <hpottinger> we should probably do more triage of the the testathon issues, soonish?
[21:06] <mhwood> Yes. Plus just slog through the reviews. I have more meetings tomorrow but will be around sporadically, and after that things settle down again.
[21:08] <hpottinger> OK, how about Friday?
[21:08] <mhwood> I should be around all day, outside of 0945-1000 EDT.
[21:09] <terry-b> Fyi... On my local DSpace 6 instance, I see a similar behavior in the OAI harvester (except that I am suppressing stacktrace from the web display)
[21:09] <hpottinger> how about 10:30EDT/9:30CDT? pbecker should be on around then, too
[21:09] <mhwood> Please log your tests on the ticket.
[21:09] <mhwood> OK.
[21:09] <terry-b> Will do
[21:10] <mhwood> It's on my calendar.
[21:10] <mhwood> We are over time. Adjourn the official meeting?
[21:11] <mhwood> Anything else that needs discussion right now?
[21:11] <hpottinger> OK, it's a plan, anyone else reading these words, if you can make time to help sort through issues, show up Friday 15UTC-ish
[21:11] <mhwood> Yes please.
[21:12] <hpottinger> OK, gotta run
[21:12] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[21:12] <terry-b> I hope to get a DSpace 5 release in good shape so I can do more DSpace 6 work
[21:12] <terry-b> Have a good night
[21:12] <mhwood> Ok, you too. Meeting adjourned.
[21:13] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:44] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[23:41] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace
[23:47] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[23:59] * Insanity_ (~Insanity@ has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.