#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-06-08

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:03] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-sikkyhbpfncshggg) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[0:27] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[2:27] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[2:33] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[6:29] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[6:35] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:20] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[7:20] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[7:20] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[7:23] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[7:24] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[8:21] * Dylan_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[8:21] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[9:07] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ has joined #duraspace
[9:22] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[9:22] * Dylan_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[11:06] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[12:24] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:51] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[13:00] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:49] * terry-b (~chrome@75-172-49-239.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:53] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:12] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[17:13] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[17:18] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[17:22] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[19:29] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Disconnected by services)
[19:31] * misilot_ is now known as misilot
[20:01] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg (last one before OR16 next week!): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-06-08
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-06-08 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-06-08
[20:02] * tdonohue realized I forgot to send out the agenda prior (as usual), but it's pretty much the same as last week... moving towards 6.0-RC2 ASAP
[20:02] <tdonohue> First a quick role call, as we look to be smallish. Curious who is here... pinging Committers (helix84, mhwood, pbecker, terry-b)
[20:02] <mhwood> Here!
[20:03] <terry-b> Im here
[20:03] <tdonohue> thanks guys. helix84 or pbecker, either of you around?
[20:04] <tdonohue> sounds like we may be a small trio (with possible other devs or lurkers hanging around...hi!)
[20:05] <terry-b> I have been puzzled by this issue today: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3237
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3237 ] - [DS-3237] Class not found error running AIP restore - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:05] <tdonohue> So, before we dive into 6.0 stuff... any questions / comments regarding events/talks at OR16? Since that's next week, now's the last time to ask :)
[20:05] <kompewter> [ [DS-3237] Class not found error running AIP restore - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3237
[20:06] <terry-b> Im looking forward to it the meetings.
[20:07] <tdonohue> terry-b you might want to ping Dylan Meeus on that issue. It does sound like a POM related problem though...likely wrong version in [dspace]/lib/ (which is what is used by commandline scripts)
[20:07] <terry-b> Will do. Thanks.
[20:07] <tdonohue> Dylan was the one who did the related change in DSPR#1326 (and he's been quite active contributor from @mire these days)
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1326 ] - DS-3086 OAI Harvester is broken by DylanMeeus
[20:09] <tdonohue> OK, not hearing any other questions/comments on OR16. The "final" agenda for the DevMtg on Monday is up at : https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-06-13+-+OR16+Meeting
[20:09] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-06-13 - OR16 Meeting - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-06-13+-+OR16+Meeting
[20:09] <tdonohue> (I don't anticipate any further large-scale changes, but during the meeting obviously we'll have a chance to move things around or add more topics, time permitting)
[20:10] <tdonohue> I think that's all I have for OR16. Though I will leave this topic with a teaser... Find me at OR16 for "limited edition" DSpace T-shirts. Committers / Steering / DCAT will get priority though
[20:12] <tdonohue> Moving along now to 6.0. Ideally, I'd *really* like to get 6.0-RC2 released this week (so we can announce at OR16..and helix84 can talk to it during his 6.0 intro talk)
[20:12] <tdonohue> The only thing (I'm aware of) that is standing directly in our way for an RC2 is DSPR#1382 (and we were just working on that in #dspace prior to this meeting). IS there anything else I'm forgetting that *must* be in an RC2?
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1382 ] - [DS-3179] Collection admin, edit item no authorization to remove file by KevinVdV
[20:14] <tdonohue> (There are plenty of other minor, known issues which we'll still want to squash between RC2 and Final... but I'd like to get *major* issues fixed by RC2, if possible)
[20:15] <terry-b> We have found a number of AIP issues. I presume those just wait for final.
[20:16] <tdonohue> terry-b: yes, those are high priority for final, but I don't think they are absolutely necessary for an RC2. Especially since everyone is swamped right now prepping for OR16
[20:17] <terry-b> So, the purpose of an RC2 is to create a more stable demo
[20:17] <tdonohue> Though, just realized it'd be *nice* to get DSPR#1370 and related DSPR#1350 merged. Both just need testing, as combined these fix issues with PubMed integration
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1370 ] - DS-3144 Update of publication-lookup config by jonas-atmire
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1350 ] - DS-2880: additional javadocs docs and renames for clarity by rradillen
[20:18] <tdonohue> terry-b: exactly. Plus, we've had a *ton* of changes since RC1, and I'd like to get those tested. Without a new release, we don't have a good opportunity to test on what we've fixed.
[20:18] <terry-b> Makes sense to me
[20:19] <tdonohue> So, having some known issues in RC2 is not a big deal overall. But, we do want to ensure those get squashed too before final.
[20:20] <tdonohue> So, all that being said... I think the main (serious) issue standing in the way is still DSPR#1382 (which is a serious bug, as deletions don't work for Community/Collection Admins)
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1382 ] - [DS-3179] Collection admin, edit item no authorization to remove file by KevinVdV
[20:20] <tdonohue> Should we spend more time on that now? Or is there any other topics that our small trio would like to touch on first?
[20:22] <mhwood> I'm looking for where I goofed when merging with master, as previously discussed.
[20:22] <tdonohue> hearing no other topics. So, I guess we should dive back into 1382, and see if we can solve this quickly
[20:23] <tdonohue> mhwood: I was working on a "re-merged" branch (manually correcting merge conflicts in 1382)
[20:24] <mhwood> I think I found the mistake, around line 628 in ItemServiceImpl.
[20:25] <mhwood> Ha! Commented out that line and: BUILD SUCCESS. ITDSpaceAIP passes.
[20:25] <tdonohue> excellent
[20:26] <tdonohue> care to push that up to your branch then?
[20:26] <mhwood> Working on that now.
[20:27] <mhwood> Pushed
[20:28] * tdonohue Note to All: I suspect the rest of this meeting will be simply triaging 1382. Others are welcome to either stick around and listen/help, or head off to do other tasks. Next week there will only be a face-to-face Meeting at OR16 (no IRC meeting)
[20:29] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood. I'll pull that down, install and test
[20:29] <terry-b> I'll be lurking here and investigating the commons-lang3 issue I referenced
[20:30] <mhwood> Maybe we should have an issue to take up lang3 everywhere and ditch commons-lang?
[20:31] <pbecker> sorry, I had late shift today and had to care about a library visitor that was not feeling well. So I missed the meeting. And now I have to run and had homewards. Is there anything important I can help with before I leave within the next few minutes?
[20:31] <tdonohue> pbecker: not really. I think we need to solve our outstanding issue, then hopefully get RC2 released tomorrow or Friday (if we are lucky)
[20:32] <pbecker> I'll be here.
[20:32] <mhwood> It sounds like you have had enough to do already today.
[20:32] <terry-b> mhwood, I do not know enough about the difference in versions to make a recommendation. I am currently puzzled at how the 2 differing versions of -lang3 are getting integrated.
[20:33] <pbecker> mhwood: yes, it was intense today.
[20:33] <terry-b> I presume they are pulled in by other dependencies.
[20:33] <mhwood> Two versions of lang3? Ugh. 'mvn dependency:analyze' and 'mvn dependency:tree' help with these.
[20:34] <terry-b> thanks. I will try that... I am a niave mvn user and did not know about those commands
[20:34] <pbecker> 'bye everyone, see you tomorrow and hopefully at OR16!
[20:34] <mhwood> The output is voluminous. You'll want to capture it and rummage with your favorite browsing tool.
[20:35] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[20:37] <terry-b> Some good news. I populated my test DSpace 6 instance with 500,000 items and the database performed well. We matched the memory that we have in production in order to run the test.
[20:37] <tdonohue> YAY! :)
[20:37] <mhwood> Very good news.
[20:38] <tdonohue> terry-b: you should make sure to let helix84 know at OR16. He's doing the "intro to 6.0" talk, and that'd be a good tidbit to mention regarding how the "API Refactor" is performing, etc
[20:38] <tdonohue> terry-b: and thanks for running and reporting on those tests
[20:38] <terry-b> A huge improvement over my prior tests. Either the code got a lot more efficient or my test server was really inadequate.
[20:39] <terry-b> (on the past yest)
[20:40] <mhwood> DSPR#1326 included lots and lots of refactoring for speed/efficiency. The fix named in the title almost disappears....
[20:40] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1326 ] - DS-3086 OAI Harvester is broken by DylanMeeus
[20:42] <tdonohue> mhwood: while your branch passes tests, I'm still getting errors when I try to delete Bitstreams as a Community Admin. I get: "Authorization denied for action WRITE on BITSTREAM:[uuid] by user [uuid]". It's from the BitstreamServiceImpl.update() in the BitstreamServiceImpl.delete() method.
[20:42] <mhwood> Thanks, I'll have a look at it.
[20:42] <tdonohue> sounds almost like our new ON DELETE CASCADE has cleaned up auth policies early :(
[20:46] <tdonohue> Why does delete() call update() anyways...that's a bit odd
[20:49] <mhwood> Because Bitstream is odd: delete() marks it deleted in the database. We actually destroy it later.
[20:50] <tdonohue> oh, that's right
[20:53] <tdonohue> Huh. This code is messed up...the actual deletion in "expunge()" also checks Resource Policies...but those are cleared out in "delete()"
[20:53] <tdonohue> delete() shouldn't be removing Resource Policies
[20:54] <mhwood> I agree.
[20:54] <tdonohue> This really needs a Unit Test. It doesn't look right to me, but it'd be hard to fix without one
[20:55] <tdonohue> There's a test for delete() but nothing for expunge() (which should throw errors)
[20:55] <mhwood> Woops.
[20:55] <tdonohue> I highly doubt expunge() works as written
[20:57] <tdonohue> Do you still have some time this week to work on this, mhwood? I kinda feel like we are narrowing in on issues... but I think we need more Unit Tests here, as I suspect we have a few (hopefully minor) flaws in methods that don't have unit tests yet
[20:58] <mhwood> I will find some time. I'll have to go in a few minutes, today.
[20:58] <tdonohue> yes, suspected as much. I'll be around tomorrow (meetings first thing, but might be able to make some time midday)
[20:58] <tdonohue> and thanks!
[20:58] <mhwood> You're welcome. We need to have this working.
[21:02] <mhwood> OK, I wrote myself a note about what's happening, and I have an installed instance to play with, but I've got to leave. 'bye all!
[21:03] <tdonohue> bye!
[21:03] <kompewter> see ya
[21:03] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:14] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[21:20] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[21:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.