#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-07-20

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:00] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[0:37] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:37] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[0:42] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[4:39] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[4:43] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[6:40] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:42] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:42] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:42] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[6:44] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[8:18] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[9:40] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ has joined #duraspace
[12:21] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:14] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:58] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:19] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[15:32] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[16:58] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[17:03] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[18:22] * luizsan (~luizsan@ has joined #duraspace
[18:52] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:00] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[19:04] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[19:59] <tdonohue> All, reminder DSpace DevMtg starts shortly here. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-07-20
[19:59] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-07-20 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-07-20
[20:01] <tdonohue> And, now it's the top of the hour. :) Before we get started today, a quick role call of Committers... Pinging helix84, mhwood, terry-b
[20:01] <mhwood> Here.
[20:01] <terry-b> Here
[20:02] <tdonohue> excellent. Well, at least there's three of us (and likely a few other developers following along now or later). As mentioned earlier in #dspace, our attendance for July has been a bit sparse ;)
[20:03] <tdonohue> As for topics for today, obviously it's mostly a 6.0 checkin, and trying to get that wrapped up as soon as we can
[20:04] <tdonohue> Today though, since our group is small, I wonder if we want to concentrate on code reviews and/or any tickets that we know need more input?
[20:04] <terry-b> I have not had a chance to do any testing since last week.
[20:05] <tdonohue> Out of our 29 open tickets, 10 are now in "code review needed" stage. So, that seems to be a bit of a backlog. We also do have a fair number still looking for volunteers (if anyone is listening and interested)
[20:06] <tdonohue> terry-b: any likelihood of getting to testing any this next week?
[20:06] <terry-b> I hope to. Juggling vacation and a couple large projects.
[20:07] <tdonohue> I see. understood :)
[20:07] <terry-b> If I am holding up on the things I have assigned, I will take no offense if someone else grabs them.
[20:08] <tdonohue> terry-b: yes, also understood. It seems a lot of committers are in the same boat as you though (as mentioned, we've had sparse attendance / activity most all of July)
[20:08] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[20:09] <tdonohue> So, in terms of "code review needed" tickets, let's just touch on what is out there and latest status...maybe there will be a few "quick wins" in here
[20:09] <tdonohue> here's the full list: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[20:09] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[20:09] <tdonohue> DS-3266 is first in line
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3266 ] - [DS-3266] AIP Restore is not respecting access restrictions (on Items) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <tdonohue> This is a new bug (in both 5.x and 6.x) that I discovered by accident in recent AIP testing. There's a PR for master and a backport for 5.x
[20:10] <tdonohue> It mostly just needs verification testing.
[20:11] <terry-b> I can take it since we do a lot of AIP stuff
[20:11] <tdonohue> As a bonus though, both the 6.x and 5.x version come with new Integration Tests to verify it is working as expected now
[20:11] <tdonohue> terry-b: much appreciated! Admittedly, I found this one when testing your staff's recent changes/fixes to METSRightsCrosswalk
[20:12] <mhwood> Yay! Writing a missing test is often a good way to exercise a bug fix.
[20:12] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, that's what I did here...I built tests that initially failed and then found a way to fix the behavior to succeed.
[20:14] <tdonohue> next up is DS-3234 (found by terry-b, and PR is assigned to terry-b)
[20:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3234 ] - [DS-3234] Database Migration Script fails when executed by ANT, issue is repairable - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:14] <terry-b> I look forward to verifying this.
[20:15] <tdonohue> The key point here is that the PR not only fixes the bug, but also reverts our behavior back to doing migrations on "startup" (instead of via Ant). So, there's code task/cleanup in here too, but I think it acts more like 5.x does now
[20:15] <tdonohue> thanks again, terry-b
[20:16] <tdonohue> next in this list is DS-3209
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3209 ] - [DS-3209] Runtime Exception (Can&#39;t Create Identifier) on Items During AIP Restore - Restore Fails - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <tdonohue> PR here is assigned to pbecker for review. Looks like we are waiting on him
[20:17] <tdonohue> pbecker volunteered for this one last week. We should ping him again soon, if he doesn't get to this before too long
[20:17] <tdonohue> moving along, DS-3154 / DSPR#1467
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3154 ] - [DS-3154] Maven release process fails when using Java 8 because of Javadocs errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1467 ] - DS-3154 : Disable &#39;doclint&#39; checks by default when building with Java 8 or above by tdonohue
[20:18] <tdonohue> This is a very small PR, and based on the recommended way to disable doclint. It's one we'd exercise more during the release process (i.e. we should do an RC3 to test it)
[20:19] <tdonohue> Honestly though, it's one I thought about merging immediately, but figured I'd leave it open for comments briefly just in case
[20:20] <terry-b> I support merging it
[20:20] <mhwood> Me too.
[20:21] <tdonohue> yes, honestly, we cannot even fully "test it" without merging it. The biggest test case is trying to release DSpace with Java 8. ;)
[20:21] <tdonohue> ok, I'll just merge it then
[20:21] <mhwood> I dislike having to do this, but didn't find time to remove all the lint, so....
[20:22] <tdonohue> mhwood: I agree. We need to revisit this. I can always create a ticket to "renable" doclint (after I close this one), just as a reminder to us for the future
[20:22] <mhwood> Hmm, can we test it by just running 'mvn javadoc:aggregate'?
[20:23] <tdonohue> I tried that...it still seemed to report the issues, but says "SUCCEED" at the end. But, currently on master, a "mvn release:*" actually errors out if you run from Java 8 (cause of doclint)
[20:24] <tdonohue> So, I think this fixes the issue, but won't know completely until doing a "mvn release"
[20:24] <mhwood> I can confirm that a build dies quickly without the patch, choking on that non-Unicode character.
[20:25] <mhwood> That is: 'mvn javadoc:aggregate' dies quickly.
[20:25] <tdonohue> ok, merging now then. If more changes are needed, I'll gladly make them later...but I think this should fix it
[20:25] <tdonohue> I'll wait to close the ticket until I create a new "reminder" ticket to revisit this and fix our Javadocs errors
[20:26] <tdonohue> moving along.. DS-3153 / DSPR#1466 ... another tiny, obvious PR (I think)
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3153 ] - [DS-3153] Binary Release packages are missing local.cfg.EXAMPLE and README.md - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1466 ] - DS-3153: Include local.cfg.EXAMPLE and README.md in binary releases by tdonohue
[20:26] <tdonohue> and another one that needs RC3 to fully test it out (but it should look obvious)
[20:27] <tdonohue> oh, wait. I merged it already :)
[20:27] <tdonohue> forgot to close the ticket, it seems
[20:27] <mhwood> Waiting to see what happens during release, it says.
[20:27] <tdonohue> yes. I'm forgetting what I decided here. Yes, we'll do an RC3 here :)
[20:28] <tdonohue> moving along, DS-3144 and *new* DSPR#1462
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3144 ] - [DS-3144] PubMed integration feature is not working in codebase - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1462 ] - DS-2880 and DS-3144 : Fixing PubMed Import functionality by tdonohue
[20:28] <terry-b> I am assigned to this one b/c of a related PR. I am not familiar with pubmed
[20:29] <tdonohue> This is a massive PR that used to be two separate PRs... I combined them, and did some testing. It works well for me and I gave it a +1 (as I didn't write 99% of this)
[20:30] <tdonohue> terry-b: I can add hints/tips on how to test. PubMed integration is a new 6.0 feature, it just didn't work right in RC1 or RC2
[20:30] <terry-b> Sounds good. I would appreciate that.
[20:31] <tdonohue> will do. Writing myself a note on that
[20:33] <tdonohue> Ok, an older ticket / PR now... DS-2996 and DSPR#1319
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1319 ] - [DS-2996] Fix retrieval of hierarchical of communities from a collection by KevinVdV
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2996 ] - [DS-2996] Submission collection selection does not show the complete hierarchy - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:34] <tdonohue> oh, and terry-b claimed this too. :)
[20:35] <tdonohue> The rest of the ones in this code review needed list actually are related to other issues (one is solved by PR 1462 already mentioned above... the other is only open cause of a subticket being open)
[20:37] <tdonohue> ok, so, looking around for other "quick fixes" or tickets to review now
[20:37] <terry-b> I am intrigued by https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1469
[20:37] <kompewter> [ Add -i option to index-discovery by cwilper · Pull Request #1469 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1469
[20:38] <tdonohue> seems like a small enough change that we could simply let it in with a bit of testing. I agree it's a good idea (and thanks cwilper!)
[20:39] <tdonohue> We do need a JIRA ticket created for it, but that's a small task
[20:40] <mhwood> Yes, small and fairly simple.
[20:40] <cwilper> DS-3271
[20:40] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3271 ] - [DS-3271] Add -i option to index-discovery - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:40] <cwilper> just created :)
[20:40] <mhwood> Thanks!
[20:40] <tdonohue> thanks cwilper. Renamed the PR to reference it as well :)
[20:41] <tdonohue> so, I think this seems like a good change, and would +1 it, as long as we get a basic test in place. The code looks right though
[20:41] <terry-b> I can test it.
[20:41] <tdonohue> thanks terry-b
[20:42] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[20:43] <tdonohue> ok, back to other tickets. We did get a few recent new bug fixes logged against "master". Two to be exact, DS-3270 and DS-3267. Both need verification & a volunteer. Both sound small to me
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3270 ] - [DS-3270] NoClassDefFoundError error when launching the instance OAI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3267 ] - [DS-3267] can&#39;t edit collection Default read access - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:44] <tdonohue> 3270 also sounds a lot like DS-3237 (but it sounds like the user is still seeing this issue in the latest codebase)
[20:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3237 ] - [DS-3237] Class not found error running AIP restore - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <terry-b> I though I had resolved an issue related to 3270. ..
[20:45] <tdonohue> yep, that's 3237 (which I linked above) terry-b
[20:46] <mhwood> We need to run the dependency convergence report once in a while.
[20:46] <tdonohue> so, it's possible that same issue is still happening *just* on OAI.... or it's possible that the person who reported this issue had something "cached" and is still seeing this issue
[20:46] <luizsan> Hi, one minute I'm just following it, these last tickets are not included in the "https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0"
[20:46] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0"
[20:47] <tdonohue> luizsan: that list is just the "code review needed" tickets. The full list of 6.0 tickets to fix is in the Agenda...let me get the link
[20:47] <terry-b> My fix is not showing up in master. I wonder if it was overwritten
[20:48] <luizsan> tdonohue: ok, thanks!
[20:48] <tdonohue> luizsan: the full list of 6.0 tickets is 29 left.. here they are: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+priority+in+%28Blocker%2C+Critical%2C+Major%29+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+6.0&src=confmacro
[20:48] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+priority+in+%28Blocker%2C+Critical%2C+Major%29+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+6.0&src=confmacro
[20:49] <terry-b> Disregard my comment
[20:49] <terry-b> I looked in the wrong repo
[20:49] <cwilper> I looked at 3270 for a few minutes earlier and confirmed the problem on latest master btw. Suspect it has do with with recent maven exclusions which were probably done to avoid some lib version conflicts.
[20:50] <tdonohue> cwilper: thanks. yes, the exclusions were added by DS-3237 (to avoid other errors)...and it seems in DS-3270 the new exclusions cause their own problems
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3237 ] - [DS-3237] Class not found error running AIP restore - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3270 ] - [DS-3270] NoClassDefFoundError error when launching the instance OAI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:51] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like this means the fix added in 3237 wasn't a complete / correct fix...we still have OAI dependency issues here (just different ones now0
[20:53] <mhwood> 3237 was half done. It excludes the old version that caused one problem, but doesn't declare a dependency on the new version -- which causes the other problem
[20:54] <tdonohue> mhwood: care to make an attempt at fixing that up (I was just trying to wrap my mind around this as well, but sounds like you are further than I am)
[20:54] <mhwood> I think we just need a direct dependency without a version declared for oai, so that the common version is included in that artifact.
[20:54] <mhwood> OK, I'll see what I can do.
[20:55] <tdonohue> oh, I think I understand what you mean...we are missing the actual <dependency> tag that should be used *instead* of the <exclusion> dependencies. That sounds right. It sounds like a small PR / fix
[20:55] <tdonohue> thanks, mhwood!
[20:55] <mhwood> Assigned to me: Ds-3270
[20:56] <tdonohue> Thanks again. As we have <5 mins left, are there any other tickets (from anyone) that are in need of eyes/attention?
[20:57] <luizsan> I did this PR, https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1460
[20:57] <kompewter> [ Solving the issue DS-3193 by LuizClaudioSantos · Pull Request #1460 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1460
[20:57] <luizsan> Did I missing something?
[20:58] <tdonohue> At a glance, it looks right luizsan. It just needs someone else to test it out, but the code seems reasonable.
[20:59] <tdonohue> I tagged this one as "quick win" for 6.0.
[20:59] <terry-b> I fixed the PR title and the link to the jira ticket
[20:59] <luizsan> ok, I just want to know if it was ok, before to get another issue.
[21:00] <tdonohue> luizsan: I also pinged KevinVdV on that to see if he can give it a test for you
[21:01] <luizsan> Nice!
[21:01] <tdonohue> thanks for the reminder on this PR, luizsan...hopefully we can get a tester quickly. And thanks for the code/PR!
[21:01] <mhwood> Thanks. I was fixing the link but you beat me to it.
[21:02] <luizsan> Thank you guys!
[21:02] <tdonohue> also, luizsan, if you don't hear anything in the next week or so, feel free to remind us again. I don't have much time this week to devote to testing, but we might be able to find others who can test it as needed
[21:03] <luizsan> ok, I will do it.
[21:03] <tdonohue> As we are now at the top of the hour, and I'm not hearing any other tickets needing attention, we'll close up for today.
[21:04] <tdonohue> All: if anything needs attention before next week, feel free to ping me on it and I'll see what I can do (or add it to next week's agenda)
[21:04] <mhwood> OK.
[21:04] <mhwood> I must go now. 'bye all.
[21:04] <tdonohue> bye all!
[21:04] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:05] <terry-b> Have a good week!
[21:05] <luizsan> ok, bye!
[21:06] * luizsan (~luizsan@ Quit (Quit: Leaving...)
[21:35] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[21:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[23:01] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[23:06] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[23:10] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.