#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-08-03

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:33] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:33] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[0:37] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[2:34] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[2:38] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[4:35] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[4:39] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[6:51] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:51] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:51] -tepper.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:51] -tepper.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:51] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:51] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:20] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[7:20] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[7:20] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[7:20] -asimov.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[7:20] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[7:20] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[7:20] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:23] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[7:23] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[7:23] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[7:24] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[7:24] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[7:24] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[7:24] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:55] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[7:55] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ has joined #duraspace
[12:05] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[12:20] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:29] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:29] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:29] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[15:34] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[19:31] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[19:35] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome. It's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-03
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-08-03 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-03
[20:02] <tdonohue> Sigh. Looks like we have a low attendance again this week. I'll have to email Committers and see when we expect people back (I know several who have been on vacation much of July, but have returned this week, I believe)
[20:03] <tdonohue> Hopefully a few more folks pop in here to help things along, as we really could use more support in getting 6.0 out the door :)
[20:03] <tdonohue> In any case, I see mhwood & terry-b3 are here. helix84 is likely lurking (as his acct often is at this time of day)
[20:03] <terry-b3> hello
[20:04] <mhwood> Hi
[20:04] <tdonohue> So, as usual, the topic is 6.0. In the Review Hour (in #dspace over the last hour) we were reviewing these "Must Have" tickets.. https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[20:04] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[20:05] <tdonohue> I'm assuming we could just continue that review process... unless anyone here has a question or topic to bring up prior to that?
[20:06] <tdonohue> Ok, not hearing any other topics
[20:07] <tdonohue> In the review over in #dspace, we last reviewed ticket 3266... so, next up is...
[20:07] <tdonohue> DS-3255
[20:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3255 ] - [DS-3255] &#39;dspace structure-builder&#39; silently fails, logging Hibernate errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:08] <tdonohue> Based on the comments here, it sounds like it is unreproducible (at least so far)
[20:08] <tdonohue> mhwood: did you have any other ideas how you triggered this? Or should we close it as "unreproducible" until we can find someone who can actually reproduce it?
[20:09] <mhwood> Yes, maybe there is something weird here. Let's just close it.
[20:09] <tdonohue> Or, if you have the XML you were using at the time, cwilper did mention he could test it again on his end. If not, then it does seem like one to close
[20:10] <mhwood> I've updated my list to revisit this later.
[20:11] <tdonohue> ok. If you plan to revisit, I'll assign it to you. We can wait on closing it (for now)
[20:11] <mhwood> OK
[20:11] <mhwood> It seems like an uncommon use of DSpace, so if need be we can reschedule it.
[20:12] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, true. It's probably just a matter of whether this is easily reproducible. If so, we figure out how/why. If not, we assume it was a fluke and close it for now
[20:12] <tdonohue> Moving along.. next up, DS-3243
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3243 ] - [DS-3243] Cannot resume authentication - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <tdonohue> This is another we've had trouble reproducing. But, I left it opened as it might need re-testing with Tomcat 8. Is anyone in here using Tomcat 8 for development/testing? This would be an easy thing to test out, if so.
[20:14] <mhwood> I'm currently on 7. Would like to go to 8 but various things break.
[20:15] <tdonohue> Things "break" on master with Tomcat 8? Or are you talking 5.x + Tomcat 8 being problematic?
[20:15] <mhwood> It's been too long, but probably both.
[20:15] <terry-b3> we are not
[20:16] * mhwood makes a note to keep better notes.
[20:16] <tdonohue> yea, it'd be good to know (1) what breaks with Tomcat 8 (so we can log bugs and try to fix), and (2) if 3243 is one of those things that breaks only for Tomcat 8
[20:16] <mhwood> But this one looks like it may have been fixed by another patch?
[20:17] <tdonohue> mhwood: did you see a related patch? I admit, I didn't, but maybe I overlooked a possible fix to this
[20:18] <mhwood> Hm, I'm remembering the opposite bug: code expects to receive e.g. Integer but is getting UUID. This is the other way 'round.
[20:19] <tdonohue> There were several of those *types* of bugs throughout the API when we first introduced UUIDs (in the great refactor). But, none that I recall in this area of the code.
[20:19] <mhwood> Those were in JSPUI, too, IIRC.
[20:19] <tdonohue> 3243 is XMLUI ;)
[20:20] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like someone should still give this a run with Tomcat 8. Maybe I can find time to install Tomcat 8 and try out this (and master in general), if no one else gets to it first
[20:20] <mhwood> Also, those were in JSPUI, IIRC. (And this is XMLUI.)
[20:21] <tdonohue> (Though if anyone else listening or reading this later is already using Tomcat 8, please do volunteer to give a quick test of DS-3243... and let us know if you are noticing any other Tomcat 8 bugs, please!)
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3243 ] - [DS-3243] Cannot resume authentication - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:21] <mhwood> I've started "watching" the ticket, to keep in touch with it.
[20:21] <tdonohue> ok, moving along for now. DS-3234
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3234 ] - [DS-3234] Database Migration Script fails when executed by ANT, issue is repairable - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:21] <mhwood> I would say that, if you restart Tomcat, existing sessions should be trashed, but not this way.
[20:22] <tdonohue> 3234 has a PR, DSPR#1468
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1468 ] - DS-3234 and DS-3268 : Upgrade to Flyway 4 and fix Ant migration issues by tdonohue
[20:23] <terry-b3> Very nice fix here
[20:24] <tdonohue> 3234 involves a lot of fixes / refactors to the migration process, both to support Flyway 4 and to revert back to migrating the DB whenever Tomcat start (or you run 'dspace database migrate'), which was 5.x behavior
[20:24] <mhwood> Config comment is much clearer now. No other issues.
[20:25] <tdonohue> So, since this is at +2, shall I merge it? Does this need additional testing? I admit to doing some extensive testing myself...and sounds like terry-b3 did as well (thanks Terry!)
[20:25] <terry-b3> Go for it
[20:25] <mhwood> Go for it.
[20:26] <tdonohue> Ok. Merging then. I'll make sure to update the documentation (with the new configuration) before closing out the ticket
[20:26] <mhwood> Thanks!
[20:26] * luizsan_ (~luizsan@ has joined #duraspace
[20:27] <tdonohue> done
[20:28] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3233 / DSPR#1478
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3233 ] - [DS-3233] DSpace 6.0 Handle server not starting - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1478 ] - DS-3233 : Hardcode log directory into start-handle-server script by tdonohue
[20:29] <tdonohue> This one is actually a small fix to the 'start-handle-server' script packaged with DSpace. Since the log.dir setting doesn't exist anymore, it needs to be hardcoded in that script (though it's easy to update as needed)
[20:30] <mhwood> Makes sense to me.
[20:30] <terry-b3> this looks very simple to me
[20:31] <mhwood> I've put my "makes sense to me" on record.
[20:31] <terry-b3> me too
[20:33] <tdonohue> So, I think 1478 really just needs votes. It seems like a very obvious fix to me though, and I was able to both reproduce the current (obvious) bug, and ensure the fix works
[20:33] <mhwood> It is +1
[20:33] <mhwood> +2 I mean
[20:33] <tdonohue> Oh, I need to refresh my browser ;)
[20:33] <tdonohue> thanks. I'll merge it
[20:35] <tdonohue> Next up in our list, DS-3209 / DSPR#1399 (which has been in constant discussion)
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3209 ] - [DS-3209] Runtime Exception (Can&#39;t Create Identifier) on Items During AIP Restore - Restore Fails - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399 ] - DS-3209 AIP Import: Extend accepted handles for supports() by mjmarttila
[20:36] <mhwood> Ah, this one again.
[20:37] <terry-b3> I hope we can get some feedback on this quickly.
[20:37] <tdonohue> I think we should get pbecker's opinion here again... he's the one who has had the strongest opinions in the past. Based on my past discussions with him though, I think this seems more "in line" with his desire
[20:37] <tdonohue> *desired solution
[20:39] <tdonohue> I added a note pinging pbecker on #1399. Hopefully he can get back soonish
[20:40] <tdonohue> I would also like to see this one resolved soon, obviously. So, hopefully we can remind pbecker next time he pops into IRC
[20:41] <mhwood> I will try to remember that.
[20:41] <terry-b3> I agree. Thanks for pining him
[20:42] <tdonohue> The next ticket is also one for pbecker: DS-3190 (awaiting docs). I reminded pbecker of this last week, and he said it's still on his To-Do, and he's hoping to get it done soon.
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3190 ] - [DS-3190] org.dspace.rdf.RDFConfiugartion throws IllegalAccessException - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:42] <tdonohue> Next up is two (possible duplicates): DS-3157 and DS-3156
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3157 ] - [DS-3157] browse by author displays authority key instead of value - JSPUI Test Plan Ref DISC6 - XMLUI DISC8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3156 ] - [DS-3156] Strange string instead of author name in discover - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <tdonohue> The most recent comments (on each) note that this seems to *also* be an issue in 5.x. So, it's nothing new.
[20:43] <tdonohue> It also can be supposedly resolved (temporarily) by reindexing.
[20:44] <terry-b3> If it is temporarily resolved with re-indexing, could it be that the event system is not properly configured/
[20:44] <terry-b3> to send changes to the authority index?
[20:44] <mhwood> Does "temporarily" mean that the same records are re-broken later, or that new records are broken when added?
[20:45] <tdonohue> terry-b3: maybe. It's definitely a nice "guess" to check out
[20:45] <tdonohue> mhwood: I'm actually not sure. Others seem to know more about this issue, so it might be worth adding as a comment
[20:45] <mhwood> The latter suggests lost events.
[20:45] <terry-b3> I will look for the event documentation on the wiki and suggest that as a comment
[20:47] <tdonohue> So, I'm going to close 3156 as a duplicate I think (and copy over cwilper's comment to 3157). As this is an existing issue (with a workaround), it seems like it could be rescheduled. But, volunteers/comments are still welcome, obviously.
[20:49] <terry-b3> I added my comment to 3157 with a link to the event dispatcher notes
[20:51] <tdonohue> Just closed 3156 in favor of 3157. We'll keep 3157 on our list for now...but we could reschedule this one if it came down to it
[20:51] <mhwood> I added my question about "temporarily".
[20:52] <tdonohue> Next up, DS-3154 / DSPR#1467
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3154 ] - [DS-3154] Maven release process fails when using Java 8 because of Javadocs errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1467 ] - DS-3154 : Disable &#39;doclint&#39; checks by default when building with Java 8 or above by tdonohue
[20:52] <tdonohue> Oh, that's right, this is merged...just waiting for RC3
[20:53] <mhwood> Ticket is still in "code review needed".
[20:53] <tdonohue> The next one is in the same state... DS-3153. I need to cut an RC3 to fully test the fix
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3153 ] - [DS-3153] Binary Release packages are missing local.cfg.EXAMPLE and README.md - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:54] <tdonohue> Yes, both of these tickets look odd/misleading. I'm going to move them back to "Accepted" state. I want the reminder to validate these in an RC3, but they don't need "code review" anymore
[20:54] <mhwood> I understand.
[20:55] <tdonohue> done
[20:55] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3144 / DSPR#1462
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3144 ] - [DS-3144] PubMed integration feature is not working in codebase - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1462 ] - DS-2880 and DS-3144 : Fixing PubMed Import functionality by tdonohue
[20:56] <terry-b3> I tested, but I cannot say my testing covered the full scope of this enhancement
[20:56] <tdonohue> This is a massive PR. While I created it, 95% of the code was not written by me (this was/is Atmire code). So, I gave it a +1 and tested it. I see terry-b3 did the same
[20:56] <terry-b3> When a search term is not found, the UI feedback is unclear. I could not tell if the search failed or if there were no results.
[20:56] <tdonohue> This feature frankly doesn't work on master (currently).
[20:57] <terry-b3> With this PR, the results found were improved
[20:57] <tdonohue> terry-b3: yes, the feature itself may still not be perfect (and could use UI improvements). But, without the PR, it doesn't work at all
[20:58] <terry-b3> OK, that makes me more confident in my +1
[20:58] <mhwood> So, improvement is good. It unmasks further desirable work.
[20:58] <tdonohue> Are there any objections to just merging this (as it technically is at +2)? Should we look for yet another tester (as the code changes are too large to easily review)
[20:58] <mhwood> No objection.
[20:58] <terry-b3> Go for it
[20:59] <mhwood> We need to get this out there in even semi-working condition to get more experience.
[20:59] <tdonohue> yes, the improvement is definitely good. It ensures the feature actually does work, though the user experience may still not be 100% ideal
[20:59] <tdonohue> Ok, I'm merging it then. Thanks
[20:59] <mhwood> Nobody will be commenting on the UX if there is no UX because it doesn't work. :-/
[21:00] <terry-b3> Good point!
[21:01] <tdonohue> Ok, we're now at the top of the hour. There's a few more in our list, but we could leave them for next week (I admit, I have other things to finish up before I head out for the day)
[21:01] <mhwood> I should leave promptly.
[21:01] <terry-b3> It is time for a late lunch for me
[21:01] <tdonohue> Thanks mhwood & terry-b3 for help in reviews of these tickets! We'll see you (and hopefully others) next week!
[21:02] <terry-b3> Have a good week
[21:02] <mhwood> 'bye all.
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[21:47] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[21:49] * luizsan_ (~luizsan@ Quit (Quit: Leaving...)
[22:31] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[23:32] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[23:37] * Insanity_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.