#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-08-10

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:00] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:00] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[0:31] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:32] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[6:31] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:31] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:31] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:31] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:31] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:31] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:31] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:38] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[7:38] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[12:20] * terry-b3 (~chrome@71-212-115-80.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[12:33] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[13:41] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:55] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:59] * lap82 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:06] * rfazio (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:06] * bollini (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:46] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-rfbwouvnbchelrao) has joined #duraspace
[14:46] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[14:48] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[14:49] * tdonohue REMINDER: our DSpace Developers Meeting starts in ~10 minutes here. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-10
[15:01] <tdonohue> Welcome all! It's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg (agenda linked above). We have a nice group here today! Good to see a few Committers back in action after vacations, work transitions or just general summer busy-ness
[15:02] <tdonohue> As in recent weeks, our goal is really to try and push forward 6.0. We are striving to get this major release out the door as soon as we can (and as soon as we can resolve the outstanding "must have" bug fixes), so we can then move on to the new UI / prep for 7.0
[15:03] <tdonohue> So, today, I'd like to touch on where we are with 6.0...the "must have" list is getting smaller, and mostly we just need *testers* these days (with a few tickets that still need a volunteer or a finished PR)
[15:04] <tdonohue> Here's that "must have" list for 6.0: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[15:04] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[15:05] <tdonohue> It's also worth noting (before we jump into the "must haves") that we *also* are maintaining a list of "quick wins" for 6.0. The "quick wins" are things we'd love to still get into 6.0, but they might end up rescheduled if no one helps move them forward. Those tagged in GitHub: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[15:05] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[15:06] <tdonohue> So, for those who are just getting back into DSpace again (after breaks, etc)... if there's a "quick win" you really want to see get in, please help drive that forward by testing it, etc. Otherwise some of those might end up being rescheduled for 6.1 or later.
[15:07] <tdonohue> But, for today's meeting, I'm going to start with our list of 6.0 "must haves". We could use help also in getting these specific tickets closed out, so let's take some time to do updates on each: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[15:07] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[15:08] <tdonohue> First on that list of "must haves"... DS-3277
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3277 ] - [DS-3277] Change in behavior: Handles are now minted based on `handle_id` internal table ID - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:08] <tdonohue> This ticket has a PR (DSPR#1479). It is waiting for reviews / testing from others
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1479 ] - DS-3277 : Create new &#39;handle_id_seq&#39; for handle_id column. Use &#39;handle_seq&#39; to mint new handles. by tdonohue
[15:09] <tdonohue> The basic issue here was that the "master" codebase *wrongly* changed the behavior of how Handles were minted. The PR reverts us back to what I believe is the correct behavior. But, this could use a volunteer (or two) to test/review
[15:11] <tdonohue> If anyone here is willing to give this a test or review, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to either assign the PR to yourself, or just test/review it and add comments to the PR
[15:11] <lap82> ok mine, I will look into it
[15:11] <tdonohue> thanks, lap82. Much appreciated! :)
[15:12] <tdonohue> Moving along to next on the list... DS-3269 / DSPR#1471
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3269 ] - [DS-3269] Flyway &quot;Out-of-order&quot; migrations is enabled by default - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1471 ] - DS-3269: Disable Flyway out of order migrations. Also cleanup of XML Workflow enabling. by tdonohue
[15:12] <tdonohue> This fixes another change in behavior between 5.x and pre-6.x (master). The PR reverts us back to disabling "out of order" migrations, which is the recommended setting of Flyway
[15:13] <tdonohue> Again, it needs a volunteer (or two) to test or review it. I believe the changes are correct, but needs feedback
[15:13] <tdonohue> anyone interested in this one?
[15:14] <mhwood> It's on my list.
[15:14] <tdonohue> (I did also ping KevinVdV specifically on this one in the PR, but I haven't heard back from him. He was on vacation for a while as well though)
[15:14] <mhwood> Sorry, was recopying my list since over half of it is scratched off.
[15:14] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood!
[15:15] <tdonohue> Oh, and I should pause here to note.. even if one individual volunteers in this meeting, I'd encourage *others* to still give these PRs quick reviews. If there's anything you disagree with, speak up (now or later on)...and if you like it, also add a comment to the PR
[15:16] <tdonohue> moving along for now..
[15:16] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3266 / DSPR#1464
[15:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3266 ] - [DS-3266] AIP Restore is not respecting access restrictions (on Items) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:16] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1464 ] - DS-3266 : Fix AIP restore logic for restricted items and add Integration Tests by tdonohue
[15:16] <tdonohue> This one has had some initial testing... a flaw was pointed out by aschweer in her initial tests. That flaw has since been fixed (and validated with new Integration Tests).
[15:17] <tdonohue> But, this could use additional testing / reviews... as I don't think anyone has re-tested this since the flaw was resolved
[15:18] <tdonohue> The PR does come with extensive Integration Tests though to also prove out that the new code performs properly in the given scenarios. aschweer just rightly noted one scenario that was initially *missing* from those original Integration Tests
[15:19] <tdonohue> anyone interested in trying this out? (If not, I can also ping terry-b and aschweer to see if they can do followup re-testing)
[15:21] <tdonohue> ok, will ping them on the PR for now. Again, others welcome to add thoughts into the PR itself
[15:21] <tdonohue> next on our list, DS-3255
[15:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3255 ] - [DS-3255] &#39;dspace structure-builder&#39; silently fails, logging Hibernate errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:22] <tdonohue> This one needs re-verification. Been tested by a few others and seems to be un-reproducible. mhwood, you volunteered to retest this. Are you still willing?
[15:22] <mhwood> Yes.
[15:22] <tdonohue> Ok. Let us know if you need others to help re-test. Thanks
[15:22] <mhwood> Will do.
[15:23] <tdonohue> moving along, DS-3209 / DSPR#1399
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3209 ] - [DS-3209] Runtime Exception (Can&#39;t Create Identifier) on Items During AIP Restore - Restore Fails - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399 ] - DS-3209 AIP Import: Extend accepted handles for supports() by mjmarttila
[15:23] <tdonohue> This one has undergone a ton of discussion on what constitutes a "handle" (see the PR comments). I think it's nearing completion, and mhwood recently provided some Unit Tests to help prove the code works
[15:24] <tdonohue> There's a few remaining comments on the PR to resolve though (to enhance those unit tests, etc).
[15:24] <mhwood> Those tests are just a framework. They need to have the set of good/bad identifiers fleshed out. tdonohue has made some good suggestions.
[15:24] <tdonohue> I think this one is still actively moving along. If others have thoughts to add, please do so in the PR. But, at this point, there's still a few (minor) updates needed to the PR itself
[15:25] <mhwood> If there's a pattern that you suspect is not handled properly, add it to the .properties and try it.
[15:25] <tdonohue> mhwood++ (yes, please check our assumptions on what is / should be a "valid handle" and add a comment to the PR as needed)
[15:26] <tdonohue> for now, I'm going to move along to next ticket in list... DS-3190
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3190 ] - [DS-3190] org.dspace.rdf.RDFConfiguration throws IllegalAccessException - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:26] <mhwood> Beware: any identifier containing ":" or "=" will need escaping.
[15:26] <tdonohue> This one (3190) just requires documentation. pbecker knows that. Nothing more to add regarding updates here
[15:27] <tdonohue> moving along to DS-3157
[15:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3157 ] - [DS-3157] browse by author displays authority key instead of value - JSPUI Test Plan Ref DISC6 - XMLUI DISC8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:28] <tdonohue> This one is a known issue that also seems to affect 5.x (based on reports in comments). It needs a volunteer to investigate... or we could potentially reschedule this one (if needed), since it isn't new to 6.x
[15:28] <tdonohue> It also seems to have a temporary "workaround" (reindexing)
[15:29] <tdonohue> So, if anyone is interested in digging into this, please claim the ticket. Otherwise, this is one we'll likely end up rescheduling / downgrading (since we've found it affects 5.x as well)
[15:29] <bollini> we can fix for the JSPUI
[15:30] <tdonohue> bollini: sounds great! To be clear, the problem *may* actually be in the Discovery API layer... so a fix for JSPUI may end up fixing XMLUI as well. But, if not, I'm sure we can find someone to port the fix to XMLUI
[15:31] <tdonohue> moving along.. DS-3154
[15:31] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3154 ] - [DS-3154] Maven release process fails when using Java 8 because of Javadocs errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:32] <tdonohue> This one is only open because it requires a *mvn release* to fully test it out. Once we get these other tickets closed, I'll cut an RC3 and hopefully close 3154
[15:32] <tdonohue> but it should be fixed, as the necessary code was already merged
[15:32] <hpottinger> yay!
[15:33] <mhwood> We need to either keep this one open until the rest of the javadoc is fixed, or start a new ticket to (a) fix the javadoc, and (b) remove the workaround which is added here.
[15:34] <tdonohue> mhwood: agreed. I plan to create a new ticket to remind us to actually fix the javadocs
[15:34] <mhwood> Great. Thanks!
[15:35] <tdonohue> next up, we have a 'secure' ticket... only Committers logged in can see DS-3097. It's a small issue that has a patch which seems to have "stalled".
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3097 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:36] <tdonohue> If we can find a volunteer to help move it forward, it'd be great. I can also email the Committers list on this one post-mtg
[15:37] <tdonohue> moving along to the next ticket... DS-3086
[15:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3086 ] - [DS-3086] OAI Harvester is broken (NPEs around several classes) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:37] <tdonohue> This one is already fixed (in the codebase), and just needs Documentation updates from Atmire folks (who are aware of it)
[15:37] <tdonohue> so, no other updates there
[15:38] <tdonohue> moving along to DS-2948
[15:38] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2948 ] - [DS-2948] Filter-media-&gt; file metadata indexed in full text - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:39] <tdonohue> This has a PR, but there was some controversy about the approach. Robin Taylor mentioned a "quick fix" solution (but no PR for that yet). Feedback on his suggestion would be welcome, or alternative suggestions (if any)
[15:39] <bollini> DS-3097 I can review / check the JSPUI part
[15:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3097 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:39] <tdonohue> The original PR for 2948 was associated with DS-3090 / DSPR#1440
[15:39] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1440 ] - Solving issue DS-3090 by nuncanada
[15:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3090 ] - [DS-3090] Discovery search results contain char-set-related errors from reading the fulltext bitstream - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:40] <tdonohue> bollini: thanks! That'd be appreciated. It would be good to get that ticket resolved in 6.0
[15:41] <tdonohue> So, the update for 2948 is essentially that we are waiting on a PR from Robin Taylor. But comments on his suggested solution are welcome (especially if you see any flaws or better alternatives)
[15:42] <tdonohue> moving along for now though (trying to get through this entire "must have" list today)
[15:43] <tdonohue> next up...another 'secure' ticket. DS-2824. Small issue in JSPUI. Any interest in this abollini (or someone else from 4Science)?
[15:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2824 ] - [DS-2824] Error when multiple groups with the same name exist - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:43] <tdonohue> whoops..wrong link. I meant DS-2895 is the secure ticket, abollini
[15:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2895 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:44] <bollini> ok minw
[15:44] <tdonohue> thanks again!
[15:44] <tdonohue> Ok, next up.. now we move to DS-2824
[15:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2824 ] - [DS-2824] Error when multiple groups with the same name exist - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:45] <tdonohue> This seems to be a possible migration issue (between 5.x and 6.x). If somehow you ended up with multiple Groups of the same name in your database (not even sure how/if that's easily possible). It needs re-verification
[15:45] <mhwood> I can take that one.
[15:47] <tdonohue> Thanks mhwood! If this is an issue, we may have to figure out if it's even *possible* to fix via code / migration...or if we have to document it as a "known" issue and tell people how to fix it in 5.x prior to upgrading.
[15:47] <mhwood> Yes, it feels like a "your database was broken already" issue.
[15:47] <tdonohue> So, let me know if you find a way to reproduce it, and perhaps we can figure out the best path forward.
[15:47] <tdonohue> yes, exactly
[15:48] <tdonohue> Ok, moving along.. DS-2687
[15:48] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687 ] - [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:49] <tdonohue> this one is assigned to hpottinger. I know we fixed *part* of the issue here already (you no longer can delete Administrator or Anonymous groups).
[15:49] <tdonohue> Is there more here to fix for 6.x, hpottinger? Any updates?
[15:51] <tdonohue> The part that was fixed is in the associated DS-3024 ticket. It seems like the next step here is to determine if the rest of 2687 *needs* immediate fixing, or if we reschedule as a "known issue"
[15:51] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3024 ] - [DS-3024] &quot;Administrator&quot; and &quot;Anonymous&quot; groups can be renamed, which would cause them to no longer function in 6.x - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:52] <tdonohue> In the essence of time, I'm going to move along. Will try and get an update from hpottinger post-mtg on 2687
[15:52] <tdonohue> three more left in the list... DS-2653 is next
[15:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2653 ] - [DS-2653] Java 8 Support for DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:53] <tdonohue> This one is really just a Documentation reminder. We've been testing using Java 8, and things look good. We just need to update the Installation docs to note DSpace 6.x works in Java 7 or Java 8
[15:53] <tdonohue> I'll claim this one and just update our 6.x documentation
[15:53] <mhwood> Thanks!
[15:53] <tdonohue> next up, DS-1929
[15:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1929 ] - [DS-1929] editing bitstream description changes bitstream resourcepolicies - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:54] <tdonohue> has a PR needing review / testing : DSPR#1476
[15:54] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1476 ] - DS-1929 Permit bitstream embargo edit only via Edit Policy by cwilper
[15:55] <tdonohue> This one is XMLUI specific. I should be able to find time to give the PR a quick test this week (will claim it). If others have thoughts on the implementation suggestions, please note them in the PR
[15:56] <tdonohue> Last but not least, DS-1814 / DSPR#896
[15:56] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/896 ] - DS-1814: Allow submitter to create new version of their items. by pnbecker
[15:56] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1814 ] - [DS-1814] Allow submitter to create a new version of an item - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:57] <bollini> I'm sold out sorry
[15:57] <bollini> rfazio? can you test?
[15:57] <tdonohue> This one is really on the "boundary" on whether we let this into 6.x. It's more of an improvement (to JSPUI). But, if it gets testers, we could still let it in. Otherwise, we might need to reschedule
[15:58] <rfazio> ok :); bollini: thanks for suggestion :D
[15:59] <tdonohue> thanks rfazio! As a note, if you haven't done much PR testing yet, we have hints/guide at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git#DevelopmentwithGit-TestingPullRequests
[15:59] <kompewter> [ Development with Git - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git#DevelopmentwithGit-TestingPullRequests
[16:00] <rfazio> thank you
[16:00] <tdonohue> And, that's the *last ticket* in our list of 6.0 "must have" tickets! We made it through the entire list today
[16:00] <mhwood> !
[16:00] <tdonohue> Before we close up today's meeting, are there any other quick updates or questions anyone wants to share?
[16:00] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-115-80.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:02] <tdonohue> I'll remind everyone that, if you find yourself with some extra time, we also have that list of "quick win" PRs (all of which should be easier to test or review): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[16:02] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[16:02] <lap82> ok Tim thank you
[16:03] <tdonohue> As I'm not hearing any other questions or updates, we'll close up today's meeting. Thanks all! We'll talk to you next week again, and please post any updates/questions to JIRA, PR comments, etc!
[16:04] <lap82> bye bye
[16:05] <rfazio> bye, thanks :)
[16:05] <tdonohue> bye all!
[16:05] * lap82 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[16:05] * rfazio (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[16:05] <bollini> bye
[16:05] <kompewter> see ya!
[16:05] * bollini (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[16:07] <tdonohue> notes that often we have a PR / JIRA Review Hour starting post-meeting here. However, for today, I'd suggest we all take the hour to do testing / reviews of the tickets/PRs above (or "quick win" tickets). I'll be around if you need/want feedback on specific PRs/tickets
[16:47] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[16:52] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[17:17] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[17:58] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:59] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[18:22] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161168.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[18:49] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[18:53] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[21:13] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:29] -e- [global notice] freenode webchat will be offline for maintenance for a short time tomorrow starting at 13:00 UTC. Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for using freenode.
[21:41] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-115-80.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[21:42] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:53] * terry-b (~chrome@71-212-107-172.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:59] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:50] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[22:55] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[23:59] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.