#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-08-24

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[3:34] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-prnjhwttbdzqjebb) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[6:41] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:41] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:41] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:41] -orwell.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:41] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:41] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:41] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:15] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:00] * lap_ (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:00] * lap_ is now known as Guest7489
[14:01] * Guest7489 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Client Quit)
[14:02] * lap82 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:57] <tdonohue> REMINDER: DSpace DevMtg starts here at the top of the hour (~3mins): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-24
[14:57] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-08-24 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-24
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hello all, welcome to the weekly DSpace DevMtg. The agenda is above. Wow, we have a *very small* group today.
[15:01] * bollini (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <lap82> Hi tim
[15:02] <mhwood> At least the people outnumber the 'bots.
[15:02] <tdonohue> There's bollini...along with mhwood and lap82, that makes 4 of us now. Our lack of attendance continues :(
[15:02] <bollini> we are in August... ;)
[15:02] <tdonohue> True :)
[15:03] <tdonohue> Well, hopefully we'll have folks start to show up again as school begins (most universities in the USA are just beginning or nearly beginning their fall sessions)
[15:04] <mhwood> Move-in day was last week, here.
[15:04] <tdonohue> In any case, today we should check in on 6.0. Before we do a status check of remaining tickets, are there any other topics anyone wants to bring up?
[15:05] <tdonohue> Ok, hearing nothing, we'll dive in
[15:05] <tdonohue> Here's our list of remaining tickets (15 in total): https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+priority+in+%28Blocker%2C+Critical%2C+Major%29+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+6.0&src=confmacro
[15:06] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+priority+in+%28Blocker%2C+Critical%2C+Major%29+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+6.0&src=confmacro
[15:06] <tdonohue> First up DS-3292 / DSPR#1494 (from lap82)
[15:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3292 ] - [DS-3292] Delete item doesn&#39;t work well in JSPUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1494 ] - [DS-3292] Delete the Item from EditItemServlet doesn&#39;t work well by lap82
[15:07] <tdonohue> The PR here looks nice to me... good bit of code cleanup. I'm assuming this has been tested well? Is it just waiting on more tester(s)?
[15:08] <lap82> I tested the code and works
[15:09] <bollini> +1
[15:09] * bkdabt (~bkdabt@2001:4ca0:0:f222:64b3:6654:9bca:1fb2) has joined #duraspace
[15:09] <tdonohue> I'm debating on just merging this... it looks like a rather obvious fix to me. Any objections?
[15:09] <mhwood> None
[15:09] <tdonohue> Ok, I'm pressing the button then. I don't see a reason to keep this waiting
[15:10] <tdonohue> done
[15:10] <tdonohue> next on our list... DS-3287
[15:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch fails (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:11] <tdonohue> I contacted peterdietz on this.. he's looking into it (and he apologized for being out of contact recently, said things have been busy this summer)
[15:11] <tdonohue> I'll assign it to him
[15:12] <tdonohue> assigned to him. I'll leave it at that...nothing else to comment on here
[15:12] <tdonohue> next, DS-3277 / DSPR#1479
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3277 ] - [DS-3277] Change in behavior: Handles are now minted based on `handle_id` internal table ID - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1479 ] - DS-3277 : Create new &#39;handle_id_seq&#39; for handle_id column. Use &#39;handle_seq&#39; to mint new handles. by tdonohue
[15:13] <tdonohue> This one has had some testing from lap82 and I (and passes all Unit tests obviously). Are there any concerns about this, or should we consider just merging it?
[15:13] <bollini> +1 to merge
[15:13] <mhwood> No concerns. As the PR says, this code should get a lot of work from the automated tests.
[15:14] <tdonohue> Ok, I'm pressing the button on this one too then.
[15:15] <tdonohue> merged
[15:15] <tdonohue> moving along then.. next up is DS-3269 / DSPR#1471
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3269 ] - [DS-3269] Flyway &quot;Out-of-order&quot; migrations is enabled by default - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1471 ] - DS-3269: Disable Flyway out of order migrations. Also cleanup of XML Workflow enabling. by tdonohue
[15:15] <mhwood> Tested and +1 by me.
[15:16] <tdonohue> This one has been tested by mhwood & I (and also passes unit/integration tests, obviously)
[15:16] <tdonohue> Same question... do we merge it, or do we want to do further testing before merger?
[15:17] <bollini> +1 by code inspection
[15:18] <tdonohue> Thanks bollini. In that case, I'll merge it. Will leave the ticket open temporarily, as I need to make minor changes to the XMLWorkflow docs for 6.x (will do so today / tomorrow)
[15:19] <tdonohue> merged. moved ticket to "awaiting documentation"
[15:20] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3209 / DSPR#1399
[15:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3209 ] - [DS-3209] Runtime Exception (Can&#39;t Create Identifier) on Items During AIP Restore - Restore Fails - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:20] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399 ] - DS-3209 AIP Import: Extend accepted handles for supports() by mjmarttila
[15:20] <tdonohue> This PR has had some recent cleanup (and additional unit tests) from terry-b
[15:22] <tdonohue> It correctly identifies whether something is a "handle" based on these test cases: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399/files#diff-f674015c5536a6177d4102ebdf68d7b6R3
[15:22] <kompewter> [ DS-3209 AIP Import: Extend accepted handles for supports() by mjmarttila · Pull Request #1399 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399/files#diff-f674015c5536a6177d4102ebdf68d7b6R3
[15:22] <tdonohue> I think this is honestly looking good to me. But, it has had a lot of discussion (some from pbecker, who has been out of the office recently). I can always ping pbecker again to see if he is back and has final comments. But, I think this looks ready
[15:24] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[15:24] <tdonohue> So, I'll move along for now. Added my +1 to the PR itself. Will email pbecker today to see if he's back yet and can review as well
[15:25] <bollini> code looks good but the discussion is long and a bit complex, so I cannot say more
[15:25] <mhwood> He is the one who had lingering concerns. I would like to hear from him.
[15:25] <tdonohue> agreed. I'll see if he's back in the office yet
[15:26] <tdonohue> next up is DS-3190... which is just waiting for documentation updates from pbecker (I'll include this in my email to him as well)
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3190 ] - [DS-3190] org.dspace.rdf.RDFConfiguration throws IllegalAccessException - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:26] <bollini> the same here... we wait for pbecker
[15:27] <tdonohue> yes...moving along. Next is DS-3157 (assigned to bollini). Any updates on this on, bollini?
[15:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3157 ] - [DS-3157] browse by author displays authority key instead of value - JSPUI Test Plan Ref DISC6 - XMLUI DISC8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:27] <bollini> not yet. I have spent more time on the other issues
[15:27] <tdonohue> no problem, makes sense
[15:28] <tdonohue> ok, moving along then... DS-3154
[15:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3154 ] - [DS-3154] Maven release process fails when using Java 8 because of Javadocs errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:28] <tdonohue> This one is just waiting on an RC3 release to fully test. So, nothing to do here
[15:28] <tdonohue> next is DS-3097
[15:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3097 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:29] <tdonohue> This has proposed patches from bollini now. So, looks to just need a review & testing. Any volunteers to help with that?
[15:30] <bollini> it is a quick win, if you already have withdrawn items you can also test the migration procedure
[15:30] <tdonohue> and I see it's been implemented based on the suggestions from mhwood & I (new WITHDRAWN_READ status). Looks good at a glance
[15:30] <bollini> the only test that is missing is on a real oracle database
[15:31] <mhwood> I have a VirtualBox with Oracle in it. I'll test.
[15:32] <bollini> thanks mhwood
[15:32] <tdonohue> Thanks mhwood. Much appreciated. I'll add in the ticket that the code looks good to me too
[15:33] <tdonohue> moving along...next up is DS-3086. Just waiting on documentation updates from Atmire staff
[15:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3086 ] - [DS-3086] OAI Harvester is broken (NPEs around several classes) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:33] <tdonohue> They've had recent reminders. If necessary, I'll ping them again later this week
[15:33] <tdonohue> so, no updates...moving along
[15:34] <tdonohue> next up, DS-2948 / DSPR#1488
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2948 ] - [DS-2948] Filter-media-&gt; file metadata indexed in full text - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1488 ] - DS-2948 : Set Solr captureAttr to true when indexing full text by robintaylor
[15:34] <tdonohue> The PR here is tiny (one line config change for Solr). It seems harmless to me, but I admit to not have testing it yet
[15:35] <bollini> the same here
[15:35] <mhwood> Ditto.
[15:35] <bollini> I can do a test shortly and if you all agree I will merge after the test
[15:36] * bkdabt (~bkdabt@2001:4ca0:0:f222:64b3:6654:9bca:1fb2) has left #duraspace
[15:36] <mhwood> I have no objection.
[15:36] <tdonohue> bollini: that'd be great! I'll add a +1 via code review as well. So, please do merge it if the tests look good
[15:37] <tdonohue> So, moving along then... next is DS-2895 / DSPR#1493
[15:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2895 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:37] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1493 ] - DS-2895 authorization check for item not owned by collection by abollini
[15:38] <tdonohue> Aha, this is the one I volunteered to test and never got to (sorry, busy week for me). I see it now has a Unit Test though too, nice
[15:38] <bollini> I have added lot of unit test here... so I'm very confident on that
[15:39] <tdonohue> Honestly, with the Unit Tests, this looks like it works great. The code looks right, and there's a nice variety of Unit Tests to prove all the scenarios. I'm leaning towards just merging this
[15:41] <mhwood> I recall reading this and thinking it looks right. I just noted that.
[15:41] <tdonohue> I just reviewed the unit tests, and they look to prove out the scenarios that we care about. So, I'm going to merge
[15:41] <bollini> ok thanks
[15:43] <tdonohue> Just for clarity, I'd also suggest merging the 5.x backported version DSPR#1498
[15:43] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1498 ] - Ds 2895 5 x by abollini
[15:43] <bollini> yes, we have unit test also in the 5.x
[15:44] <mhwood> Might as well merge that also, then.
[15:44] <tdonohue> merged.
[15:46] <tdonohue> thanks bollini for your work on these... moving along
[15:46] <tdonohue> next, DS-2687
[15:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687 ] - [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:46] <tdonohue> waiting for feedback from hpottinger on whether there's anything else to do for 6.x here.
[15:47] <tdonohue> I don't think there's anything to discuss, and I'm starting to lean towards downgrading this / rescheduling it. But, will wait for hpottinger's feedback
[15:47] <tdonohue> moving along...next is DS-1929 / DSPR#1476
[15:47] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1476 ] - DS-1929 Permit bitstream embargo edit only via Edit Policy by cwilper
[15:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1929 ] - [DS-1929] editing bitstream description changes bitstream resourcepolicies - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:48] <tdonohue> I volunteered to test this one (it's XMLUI specific). I admit, I just haven't gotten to it. I'll keep it on my list though and will try to get it tested this week
[15:49] <tdonohue> That leaves us with the last ticket in the list... DS-1814 / DSPR#896
[15:49] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/896 ] - DS-1814: Allow submitter to create new version of their items. by pnbecker
[15:49] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1814 ] - [DS-1814] Allow submitter to create a new version of an item - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:49] <tdonohue> This is from pbecker (who again has been out recently). I see lap82 has done recent testing and provided feedback in the PR
[15:50] <lap82> yes I provided a PR on tuub repository, waiting for pbecker acceptance
[15:50] <mhwood> Oh, dear, this one is conflicted again.
[15:50] <tdonohue> Ok, I'll add this to my list of tickets to email pbecker about
[15:51] <tdonohue> lap82, just to clarify, after your changes (submitted to tuub / pbecker), it sounds like this PR "works correctly"?
[15:51] <lap82> yes it works
[15:51] <tdonohue> good to know. Thanks. I'll email pbecker on this one as well
[15:52] <tdonohue> That's the end of our list of remaining tickets!
[15:53] <tdonohue> And after the mergers today, we're down to just 12 tickets (some of which just need documentation updates). Getting closer and closer
[15:54] <tdonohue> At this point, I'm debating on whether to cut an RC3 release (which we can then announce publicly for final testing)...as I think the most significant issues have now been resolved. Most of the remaining PRs seem less severe (no more "blockers" in our list)
[15:54] <tdonohue> Thoughts on an 6.0-RC3 release?
[15:55] <mhwood> Are you thinking that the remaining PRs can be deferred to 6.1?
[15:56] <tdonohue> no...I'm just thinking it's been a *long* time since an RC release (RC2 was just before OR16). It might be worth doing an RC3 for final testing from the public. We can note that RC3 has a few "known issues" (these remaining 12 tickets)
[15:56] <mhwood> So some time soon there will be an RC4 that we reasonably expect to become 6.0-release.
[15:57] <bollini> I don't like the idea of a RC4
[15:57] <mhwood> You're right -- there is a lot of work that we need to get out in front of a wider group of testers.
[15:58] <tdonohue> I'm not sure an RC4 is required...the remaining tickets to me seem less significant (in that they don't seem to require DB migrations, etc). Though, now that I say that, I just realized DS-2895 does have DB migrations, so we may want to wait on the testing of that
[15:58] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2895 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:59] <tdonohue> The other tickets are still *bugs*, but they seem easy enough to quickly test *between* and RC3 and a 6.0 "Final".
[15:59] <mhwood> I would think it a little strange, to release something that was not a Release Candidate.
[16:00] <tdonohue> it would be a release candidate...but it's one with a few "known issues"...the reason we want to release it is that it could use others to help test further *before* a Final release
[16:01] <mhwood> I mean: if there's an RC3, and nobody finds any new problems with it, but in the meanwhile we add more fixes and then release the result, that is a bit odd.
[16:01] <tdonohue> One other option here is we can simply schedule RC3 for next week, and strive to fix as many of the remaining issues as we can *prior* to then. So, we could say RC3 next Thurs, Sept 1...and try to get PRs merged/tested prior to next week
[16:02] <mhwood> That sounds reasonable.
[16:03] <bollini> I agree
[16:03] <bollini> in this way we can decide which PR merge in the next meeting and cut the RC3 / final
[16:04] <tdonohue> Ok, let's go with that then. I'll update our schedule for RC3 on Sept 1. Let's try to get these remaining PRs/fixes tested & merged by then. Anything that *misses* RC3 may be rescheduled (or we can choose to make exceptions for individual PRs if we see fit)
[16:05] <tdonohue> Thanks all! We're now over our hour meeting time, so I suggest we close up today's meeting (unless anyone has a pressing issue they want to discuss now)
[16:05] <mhwood> OK
[16:06] <tdonohue> I'm also going to skip our JIRA Backlog hour (usually starting now in #dspace), as I feel our time is better spent today working on testing/merging some of these remaining PRs/Tickets. I will be around in IRC though for support as needed.
[16:07] <lap82> Ok thanks
[16:07] <tdonohue> So, with that, we'll close up the meeting. Thanks all for your help/support! See you next week!
[16:07] <bollini> bye
[16:07] <kompewter> see ya
[16:08] * bollini (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[16:08] * lap82 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:22] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:55] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.