#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-08-31

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:17] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) has joined #duraspace
[12:26] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:04] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:58] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[18:49] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[18:52] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Client Quit)
[18:52] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:24] * bollini (4f175ad4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:28] * rfazio_ (9739710e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:44] * lap_ (4f1ae114@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:45] * lap_ (4f1ae114@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Client Quit)
[19:46] * lap_ (4f1ae114@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:46] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:46] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:55] * rfazio_ (9739710e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hello all, it's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Today's agenda is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-31
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-08-31 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-08-31
[20:01] <mhwood> Hi
[20:01] <terry-b3> hello
[20:01] <bollini> hi
[20:01] <tdonohue> Obviously, the main topic for today is 6.0 and specifically whether we are ready for RC3 (which we tentatively scheduled for tomorrow)
[20:02] <tdonohue> But, before I get to that, I do want to mention that I will be out of the office from Sept 2-7 (Fri-Weds), returning on Thurs, Sept 8.
[20:03] * rfazio_ (9739710e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <tdonohue> So, I won't be here for next week's meeting. I do suggest the meeting still occur, but I'd appreciate it if someone else is willing to volunteer to call the meeting, etc
[20:04] <bollini> I can do that
[20:04] <tdonohue> We can figure out the likely topics based on what we get through today...but obviously next week will be another checkin on 6.0 status, etc.
[20:04] <tdonohue> thanks, bollini. Much appreciated
[20:04] <tdonohue> So, on to 6.0 RC3 status
[20:05] <tdonohue> When I wrote this agenda we had two "high priority" PRs still open..but, both were just merged in the last hour! So, that's off our plates :)
[20:05] <hpottinger> woohoo!
[20:06] <tdonohue> We still do have 10 open tickets flagged as "Major" priority (or above) for 6.0. Several of these just need docs...but, we should do a quick status check once again (and hopefully this will be quite quick!)
[20:06] <tdonohue> Here's that list: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted%2C%20%22Awaiting%20Documentation%22)%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0%20
[20:06] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted%2C%20%22Awaiting%20Documentation%22)%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0%20
[20:06] <tdonohue> First up is DS-3287
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch fails (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:07] <tdonohue> This one is unfortunate, but it's still broken. PeterDietz is assigned... I'll try to ping him on it again, but we might be forced to release 6.0 without ElasticSearch Stats support (and hopefully we can get that fixed in 6.1)
[20:08] <tdonohue> sidenote... My PR to fix 'master' was just green-lighted by Travis. I just merged it. Master is passing tests again
[20:08] <mhwood> :-]
[20:08] <tdonohue> (that was DSPR#1505, in case others are wondering)
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1505 ] - Fix failing test from changes in PR#1495 by tdonohue
[20:08] <tdonohue> moving along now..
[20:09] <tdonohue> DS-3190
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3190 ] - [DS-3190] org.dspace.rdf.RDFConfiguration throws IllegalAccessException - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] <tdonohue> This one just needs documentation. pbecker is aware of it and willing to write them (once he is back in the office)
[20:09] <tdonohue> so, next up is DS-3157
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3157 ] - [DS-3157] browse by author displays authority key instead of value - JSPUI Test Plan Ref DISC6 - XMLUI DISC8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <tdonohue> bollini mentioned this has been hard to find (prior to this mtg)
[20:10] <tdonohue> and hard to reproduce as well
[20:11] <tdonohue> So, I'm personally wondering if we should reschedule this for 6.1 (or flag as "needs more info"). It sounds like we don't have enough info on how to get this to occur right now
[20:12] <tdonohue> It *is* occuring on demo.dspace.org...but that server is quite messed up (in need of a rebuild, which I've been working on behind the scenes off and on). So, it's possible this is demo specific, or only possible in very specific scenarios (which we've yet to discover)
[20:12] <tdonohue> thoughts on this?
[20:13] <bollini> other have reported the same issue in different environment
[20:13] <bollini> so unfortunately it is not a demo issue... but still difficult to understand
[20:13] <terry-b3> I had seen it in the past, but I can no longer remember the details.
[20:13] <terry-b3> It magically seemed to resolve itself for me.
[20:13] <hpottinger> I've seen it with ORCID in XMLUI
[20:14] <terry-b3> We discontinued the authority index, so I cannot comment on how persistent the issue is
[20:14] <tdonohue> yes, others have reported the same issue on 5.x. Demo is running pre-6.x (obviously). So, it might still exist in 6.x (cause of demo)... but it sounds like we've yet to reliably reproduce it
[20:15] <bollini> which time do you want cut the rc3 tomorrow?
[20:16] <tdonohue> In any case, what do we want to do here? Anyone else want to investigate it as well? Do we reschedule? Wait and just see if we can solve it for 6.0 final?
[20:17] <tdonohue> If *I'm* cutting RC3, I'd likely want to do so around 16UTC. If someone else is willing to cut RC3, it could even wait until Friday (but I'm out of the office Fri-Weds, as noted)
[20:17] * rfazio_ (9739710e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[20:17] * rfazio_ (9739710e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:18] <bollini> ok, this mean that I can investigate again tomorrow in the morning (Italy)
[20:19] <bollini> otherwise we need to postpone... if we find a fix later we can decide to include it in the 6.0 final if really "easy"
[20:19] <tdonohue> Ok, that sounds fine bollini. Sounds like a good plan
[20:20] <tdonohue> moving along for now, then..
[20:20] <tdonohue> next, DS-3154
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3154 ] - [DS-3154] Maven release process fails when using Java 8 because of Javadocs errors - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <tdonohue> This will be tested by cutting RC3 using Java 8
[20:20] <tdonohue> It should be fixed, but we'll find out :)
[20:20] <tdonohue> next, DS-3097
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3097 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:21] <tdonohue> this was being re-tested by mhwood
[20:21] <mhwood> I still can't make it fail.
[20:21] <bollini> with both jspui & xmlui?
[20:21] <mhwood> I didn't try JSPUI.
[20:22] <tdonohue> If you still have it running, perhaps try out JSPUI too
[20:22] <tdonohue> If anyone else has time today or tomorrow morning, maybe we could find another tester too?
[20:23] <mhwood> Oh, wait, I need to make certain that I'm running *without* the patch.
[20:23] <tdonohue> (I'll admit, I'm unfortunately booked up with meetings today/tomorrow morning...but if I can find an extra few minutes I'll see if I can try it out too)
[20:23] <tdonohue> mhwood : yep, that'd be good :) Maybe you are verifying the patch is working well!
[20:23] <hpottinger> I will try to help out with 3097
[20:24] <mhwood> I did do some testing with the patch and found that it did no harm. I just haven't seen the problem yet.
[20:24] <bollini> hpottinger thanks. Be sure to read the latest comments as the discussion is quite long
[20:25] <tdonohue> ok, so we have a few volunteers for 3097. Again, we'd want to get this fixed PRIOR to RC3, especially since this patch includes a database migration
[20:25] <hpottinger> when are we cutting RC3?
[20:25] <tdonohue> tomorrow at ~16UTC (if I'm doing it). Otherwise, I need a volunteer to cut it at another time
[20:26] <hpottinger> well... I've got meetings all afternoon
[20:26] <hpottinger> but I'll try
[20:27] <tdonohue> If someone else is cutting RC3, it could even be cut on Friday (or early next week). But, I'd have to do it tomorrow morning (as I also have afternoon mtgs, and am gone Fri-Weds)
[20:27] <tdonohue> So, if we determine we cannot do RC3 by tomorrow at around 16UTC, then I'll have to hand it over, or it'll wait till I return (unfortunately)
[20:27] <hpottinger> I meant I have meetings all afternoon today, I'll make it a priority tomorrow, and will pitch in with cutting the release, if I can
[20:28] <tdonohue> ok, just making it clear what my schedule is. As needed, I'm glad to cut this release, but my time is very limited at this point :)
[20:28] <tdonohue> in any case, moving along
[20:29] <tdonohue> DS-3086 is next
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3086 ] - [DS-3086] OAI Harvester is broken (NPEs around several classes) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:29] <tdonohue> this one also just needs docs. Atmire needs to be pinged again
[20:29] <tdonohue> (they're staff has been missing in these meetings for some time, unfortunately)
[20:29] * hpottinger nudges cwilper
[20:29] <tdonohue> *their
[20:30] <tdonohue> moving along, DS-2948
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2948 ] - [DS-2948] Filter-media-&gt; file metadata indexed in full text - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:30] <hpottinger> brb, I have to step out for about 5 minutes, sorry
[20:30] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: later, taterz!)
[20:31] <tdonohue> Oh, wait, this PR was merged .. DSPR#1488
[20:31] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1488 ] - DS-2948 : Set Solr captureAttr to true when indexing full text by robintaylor
[20:31] <tdonohue> looks like we just need to close this ticket, bollini?
[20:31] <bollini> yes sorry
[20:32] <tdonohue> ok, I'll close it. no problem :)
[20:32] <tdonohue> moving along.. DS-2687
[20:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687 ] - [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:33] <tdonohue> this one is assigned to hpottinger (who just stepped out for a moment). Let's circle back to it at the end
[20:33] <tdonohue> next up, DS-1929
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1929 ] - [DS-1929] editing bitstream description changes bitstream resourcepolicies - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:33] <tdonohue> DSPR#1476
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1476 ] - DS-1929 Permit bitstream embargo edit only via Edit Policy by cwilper
[20:34] <tdonohue> I tested the PR associated with this one, and it unfortunately doesn't fully work (see PR comments). I haven't found time to debug it further, but added what I found in the PR comments
[20:35] <tdonohue> cwilper, not sure if you are around. Any chance you've time to look at a quick fix for DSPR#1476?
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1476 ] - DS-1929 Permit bitstream embargo edit only via Edit Policy by cwilper
[20:36] <tdonohue> If needed, I think this is a rather small fix (in the grand scheme), and something we might be able to just add in post-RC3. Or we wait for 6.1
[20:37] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[20:37] <tdonohue> and there's hpottinger back
[20:38] <tdonohue> hpottinger, while you were gone, we came upon DS-2687 again (which is assigned to you)
[20:38] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687 ] - [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:39] <tdonohue> 2687 has a few open questions in the last comment on the ticket... i.e. whether this needs rescheduled or reassigning. The major issue here was fixed, but a less serious one still does exist
[20:39] <hpottinger> ah yes, this thing
[20:40] <hpottinger> I'd hazard to say accidental deletion of groups is probably still "serious" I will try to find some time for this
[20:40] <tdonohue> At this point, my suspicion is this will miss 6.0 entirely and require rescheduling, unless we have an immediate solution pending. It is something we could definitely get into a 6.1 though if it misses 6.0
[20:41] <hpottinger> I'd be OK with that rescheduling
[20:41] <tdonohue> ok, thanks hpottinger. If you can find time, great. It'd be nice to fix in 6.0 if we can. But if not, hopefully you can help us get it resolved for 6.1
[20:41] <hpottinger> If anyone else wants to run with the ticket, be my guest
[20:42] <tdonohue> hpottinger: FWIW, I think the solution *might* be the pseudo-logic I mentioned in this comment: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687?focusedCommentId=48524&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-48524
[20:42] <kompewter> [ [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687?focusedCommentId=48524&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-48524
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687 ] - [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <tdonohue> it might be a relatively easy fix...but that pseudologic is still conceptual, and needs to be implemented / proven
[20:43] <tdonohue> In any case, moving along for now... we have one more ticket to discuss here still
[20:43] <tdonohue> The last ticket in our list is DS-1814
[20:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1814 ] - [DS-1814] Allow submitter to create a new version of an item - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:44] <tdonohue> This one has been tested by lap_ , and updated with changes (from lap_) by pbecker. I looked at the code and gave it a +1 code review.
[20:45] <tdonohue> I think the question is, is this ready to go? Any objections to this? (It is JSPUI only, but it's been made clear in the configs...so it could be ported to XMLUI or the upcoming new UI later on)
[20:46] <lap_> yes it's only for JSPUI
[20:46] <bollini> it is disabled by default, no objection. +1
[20:47] <tdonohue> sounds good. I say we merge it then
[20:48] <hpottinger> sounds good to me, too
[20:48] <tdonohue> I'll merge. Will move the ticket to "Needs Documentation" until we get the new config documented
[20:50] <tdonohue> done
[20:50] <tdonohue> that's the end of our list of tickets.
[20:50] <tdonohue> Are there any more tickets / PRs that anyone feels we have overlooked?
[20:50] * rfazio_ (9739710e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[20:51] <mhwood> BTW I'm testing Ds-3097 with Oracle DB, and have had no issues with that aspect of it (except that I sometimes forget to spin up the VBox with Oracle inside.)
[20:52] <tdonohue> mhwood: you mean Oracle is working well with master. Good to hear :)
[20:52] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:52] <tdonohue> Ok, so not hearing anything else needing immediate attention.
[20:53] <tdonohue> The final question here then is.. are we ready for RC3 tomorrow? It sounds to me like we are very close. We mostly seem to be waiting on DS-3157 (possibly) and DS-3097 (hopefully)
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3157 ] - [DS-3157] browse by author displays authority key instead of value - JSPUI Test Plan Ref DISC6 - XMLUI DISC8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3097 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:54] <tdonohue> there are a few other tickets above that still need work, but most of the others look like they could be potentially rescheduled for 6.1, if needed
[20:56] <tdonohue> As noted, if needed, we could delay an extra day or two, but I'd need to find someone else to cut the RC3 release (and I'll then just announce when I'm back in the office on Thurs, Sept 8).
[20:57] <tdonohue> As of now though, I'm going under the assumption that "hopefully" we'll be ready by tomorrow at 16UTC. If not, then I'll try to hand over the work to someone else prior to taking off on vacation for a few days
[20:58] <tdonohue> Any final thoughts / questions for today?
[20:59] <bollini> I think we have the plan for the RC3. Thanks for the meeting, keep in touch by email for the latest things
[21:00] <tdonohue> Ok. hearing none. I guess we are done for today. I'll still be around for a bit, and will be on IRC all day tomorrow. I'll send off an email to -commit tomorrow if I need to hand over RC3 duties
[21:00] <tdonohue> thanks all!
[21:00] <lap_> thank you tim
[21:00] * bollini (4f175ad4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:01] * lap_ (4f1ae114@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:29] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:29] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-244-110.host.ucla.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:41] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-244-110.host.ucla.edu) Quit (Quit: later, taterz!)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.