#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-09-14

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:53] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:53] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:53] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:53] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:53] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:53] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:53] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:32] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[12:18] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:04] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:19] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[13:32] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[15:44] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:03] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[16:08] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Client Quit)
[16:13] * terry-b3 (~chrome@97-126-116-1.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:17] * terry-b (~chrome@97-126-116-1.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[17:35] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[19:00] * lap_ (5feee5b7@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:02] * bollini (5715db36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:10] * rfazio_ (5d95b8d8@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:11] * rfazio_ (5d95b8d8@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[19:20] * rfazio (972fd081@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:26] * rfazio (972fd081@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome. It's DSpace DevMtg time: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-09-14
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-09-14 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-09-14
[20:02] <tdonohue> First off, thanks bollini for running last week's meeting in my absence. I was also glad to see RC3 got cut and demo.dspace.org updated prior to my return! So, thanks all who chipped in on that
[20:03] <tdonohue> Since RC3, we've had some new tickets opened. I think I've found/caught most of those that seemed "major" (or warranting a quick analysis prior to 6.0) and added them to our "must have" list
[20:03] <tdonohue> That list is updated here: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted%2C%20%22Awaiting%20Documentation%22)%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0%20
[20:03] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted%2C%20%22Awaiting%20Documentation%22)%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0%20
[20:04] <tdonohue> unfortunately, as noted prior to this meeting, we do have a few new tickets/PRs that need testing or volunteers. I'm still hopeful most will be quick to resolve so that we can get quickly to a 6.0.
[20:04] <tdonohue> But, that all depends on how quickly we can move to close out these remaining tickets obviously
[20:05] <tdonohue> So, in today's meeting, it'd be good to ensure (1) We have not overlooked any tickets (if we have either mention them today, or add them to our list post-mtg)
[20:06] <tdonohue> And..(2) Hopefully we can get some of these assigned or at least find someone to help move them forward
[20:07] <tdonohue> Before we dive into this list...are there any other higher priority topics (especially anything from last week that I missed)? Or any tickets not on the above list that we need to include here?
[20:08] <bollini> DS-3240
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3240 ] - [DS-3240] JSPUI: Community/CollectionAdmins misses some functions and a propper navbar - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:08] <bollini> Pascal like to have that in DSpace 6.0, I'm available to make a final test before to merge if we allow it (it is a new feature/improvement)
[20:10] <tdonohue> what do others think here? I know this one has come up every once in a while. It seems "mostly harmless", but this is very late in the release now (unfortunately)
[20:11] <hpottinger> I'm inclined to allow it, and would give it time to test
[20:11] <hpottinger> but... I'm just me :-)
[20:11] <mhwood> I tend to agree with the submitter that this is a bug fix.
[20:12] <tdonohue> yes, I agree that a good part of this is a bug fix...but there's also some improvements / minor features in it as well
[20:13] <tdonohue> Ok, I'm OK with allowing this too, assuming bollini (and others working with JSPUI daily) approve of it and get it tested
[20:13] <tdonohue> we probably should work to get it merged very soon though, assuming it checks out fine in testing
[20:14] <bollini> ok, I will make the test and put my +1 if all is ok. I will ask lap to make another test as well
[20:14] <tdonohue> sounds good, bollini
[20:14] <lap_> ok
[20:15] <tdonohue> Any other tickets folks want to mention that are *not* on the "must have" list (linked above)?
[20:17] <tdonohue> hearing none..so, we'll run through our list and do a quick review / status check of each
[20:17] <tdonohue> starting at the top... DS-3315 / DSPR#1515
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3315 ] - [DS-3315] Update mirage 2&#39;s building dependencies (nodejs/npm) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1515 ] - DS-3315: update node dependencies by artlowel
[20:17] <tdonohue> Needs review...hpottinger mentioned interest (prior to mtg). I can also give this a test this week hopefully
[20:18] <tdonohue> so, moving along quickly through these we already talked about...
[20:18] <tdonohue> next, DS-3311 / DSPR#1513
[20:18] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3311 ] - [DS-3311] New &quot;healthcheck&quot; feature not functioning - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1513 ] - [DS-3311] Fix healthcheck by isido
[20:19] <tdonohue> This one needs testers / reviewers. The PR looks to fix the biggest issues with this not working...but could use more eyes/testing
[20:19] <tdonohue> If anyone is interested, please claim it. Otherwise...I'll see if I can find time later this week or next
[20:20] <tdonohue> next is DS-3310
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3310 ] - [DS-3310] HTTP 500 error in the SWORD v2 interface - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <tdonohue> hpottinger...did you want to claim this (you mentioned an interest)? Or should we look for others to help with it as well?
[20:23] <tdonohue> ok..I guess he's busy..we'll move along
[20:23] <tdonohue> I would recommend others try to chip in on this one though. We need to get some SWORDv2 testing here to see if this is a major issue or not
[20:23] <mhwood> Anybody here using SWORDv2?
[20:24] <terry-b3> never used it
[20:24] <hpottinger> at my previous job we used SWORDv2
[20:25] <hpottinger> yeah, I'll claim 3310
[20:25] <tdonohue> It shouldn't be hard to "test". We have a test SWORDv2 package even in the codebase (IIRC).
[20:25] <tdonohue> thanks hpottinger
[20:25] <tdonohue> ok, moving along then... DS-3309
[20:25] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3309 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:25] <mhwood> Oh, cool, if we have a known working example, we could automate the test.
[20:26] <tdonohue> We discussed 3309 prior to mtg. It's fixed for 6.0 and 5.6. Just a question of whether to backport also for 4.x
[20:26] <bollini> I need to leave, I will check the transcription tomorrow. bye
[20:26] <hpottinger> +1 backport
[20:26] <tdonohue> bollini: Ok. thanks
[20:26] * bollini (5715db36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:26] <tdonohue> hpottinger is volunteering to backport and release a 4.x then?
[20:26] <mhwood> :-)
[20:27] <hpottinger> erm, no :-)
[20:27] <hpottinger> my dance card is filling up already
[20:27] <tdonohue> well, that's what it is going to take (sorry to be blunt). We need someone to backport and release a 4.x. Otherwise, we'll just announce the "quick fix" for 4.x and earlier, which is a minor POM fix & rebuild
[20:28] <tdonohue> If we come up with a 4.x volunteer though, I'm fine with backporting, etc
[20:28] <hpottinger> I can backport, we probably need to discuss whether that's sufficient to consider the release "supported"
[20:29] <tdonohue> hpottinger: backport it first..and we can move that discussion to -commit. It's possible once it's backported, someone there will just help release it
[20:29] <mhwood> Should we duplicate this one for 4.x so we can close the 6.0 one?
[20:29] <lap_> I could release both 4.x and 5.6. But it's my first time :-)
[20:29] <lap_> and also the backporting of DS-3309 could be mine
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3309 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:29] <hpottinger> yay, new people standing at the console!
[20:30] <lap_> :-)
[20:30] <hpottinger> lap_++
[20:30] <mhwood> Some of us are usually in #dspace and can help.
[20:30] <tdonohue> lap_: If you are willing to help with the backports/releases, we would be glad to help you through the release
[20:30] <tdonohue> Usually anyone doing a release will let others know the approx time of the release...and then others can be hanging out in #dspace IRC to help out or provide guidance with the release, as needed
[20:31] <hpottinger> I think we have 24 hour coverage in #dspace of former RCs
[20:31] <tdonohue> so, we can gladly be on hand in #dspace IRC to help out
[20:31] <lap_> the release procedure for a major is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure
[20:31] <kompewter> [ Release Procedure - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure
[20:31] <tdonohue> that's the same release procedure for a "minor" release...but you can skip the steps that say "For a Major release"
[20:32] <hpottinger> you'd have to shout at kshepherd if he's logged in
[20:32] <tdonohue> lap_: If you wanted to do the release sometime in your afternoon, then most of us from the USA would be in #dspace IRC as well. Your mornings, we might still be in bed though.
[20:33] <lap_> tdonohue: yes I know
[20:33] <tdonohue> in any case, we can figure out the date/time later as needed. But, lap_, I appreciate you volunteering to help with this. We could use the help in backporting and releasing
[20:34] <tdonohue> For now, I'm going to move along. I want to try and get though the status check of our tickets
[20:35] <tdonohue> next up in this list is DS-3307
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3307 ] - [DS-3307] Remove org.sonatype.oss.oss-parent parent from DSpace Language Packs - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:35] <tdonohue> This one has been assigned to me. I can claim this. Just haven't had any development time in the last few days, but should have some tomorrow and/or Fri
[20:36] <tdonohue> next is DS-3280 / DSPR#1509
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3280 ] - [DS-3280] HQL Syntax Error in HandleDAOImpl.java - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1509 ] - DS-3280 Fix HQL Syntax at HandleDAOImpl by FacundoAdorno
[20:36] <tdonohue> bollini just added a comment to this one. I think he's right that using "handle_id" is actually not the recommended Hibernate syntax here
[20:36] <tdonohue> So, this PR might need minor updates
[20:37] <mhwood> ? That is the name of the column, yes? The annotation says so.
[20:37] * lap_ (5feee5b7@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[20:38] <tdonohue> mhwood: see the liinked StackOverflow Q&A
[20:38] <tdonohue> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27345133/use-column-name-instead-of-entity-property-in-jpql
[20:38] <kompewter> [ java - use column name instead of entity property in JPQL - Stack Overflow ] - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27345133/use-column-name-instead-of-entity-property-in-jpql
[20:38] <tdonohue> Hibernate actually *prefers* that you use the *entity name* (in this case "id") instead of the actual *column name* (in this case "handle_id").
[20:39] <tdonohue> Hibernate can support either though...but as noted in the SO answer, the latter syntax may not work across all databases
[20:39] <mhwood> Ah. Hibernate strikes again.
[20:40] <tdonohue> Yes, it's a bit of an oddity here. In the case of the PR, the existing PR would "work", but it may not be the "best possible" solution
[20:40] <tdonohue> So, I'll add a comment to the PR as well agreeing with bollini. If the PR creator cannot fix it, perhaps I can find a chance to do so
[20:41] <mhwood> Yup, forgot it's HQL not SQL. My thinking was backward.
[20:42] <mhwood> The treatment of OldPrefix, OTOH, definitely looks less dodgy.
[20:42] * lap_ (5feee5b7@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:42] <tdonohue> agreed. The HQL in this PR is better (the old syntax was definitely wrong)...but it still could have one improvement here
[20:43] <tdonohue> in any case, moving along. I can followup with 1509 as needed
[20:43] <tdonohue> next up, DS-3190
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3190 ] - [DS-3190] org.dspace.rdf.RDFConfiguration throws IllegalAccessException - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <tdonohue> This just needs docs from pbecker. He's aware of it
[20:43] <tdonohue> next, DS-3086
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3086 ] - [DS-3086] OAI Harvester is broken (NPEs around several classes) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <tdonohue> Also one needing docs (from Atmire). We might need to pester them yet again
[20:44] <tdonohue> I'll pester them
[20:45] <tdonohue> and just did
[20:45] <tdonohue> next up, DS-2604
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2604 ] - [DS-2604] Creative Commons license assignment silently fails in JSPUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:46] <tdonohue> DSPR#1507
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1507 ] - [DS-2604] Fix JSPUI Creative Commons license retrieval by aschweer
[20:46] <tdonohue> huh...this one is new. aschweer bumped up the priority
[20:47] <tdonohue> lap_ any chance that someone on your end would be willing to test this, as it's JSPUI specific? The code changes don't look too major, but it could use a test
[20:48] <tdonohue> Looks like it is also backported to 5.x in DSPR#1506
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1506 ] - [DS-2604] Fix JSPUI Creative Commons license retrieval by aschweer
[20:50] <tdonohue> maybe bollini will see this later on as well :)
[20:50] <lap_> tdonohue: ok, I test this issue
[20:50] <tdonohue> thanks, lap_! Much appreciated
[20:50] <tdonohue> Moving along... next is DS-1929
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1929 ] - [DS-1929] editing bitstream description changes bitstream resourcepolicies - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:51] <tdonohue> DSPR#1476
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1476 ] - DS-1929 Permit bitstream embargo edit only via Edit Policy by cwilper
[20:51] <tdonohue> oh, this one has had updates since I last tried it. I can retest it.
[20:51] <tdonohue> Looks like you all decided last week that this just needs a re-test (according to bollini's comment on the PR)
[20:52] <mhwood> That's what I recall.
[20:52] <tdonohue> Ok, I'll retest...and assuming all is well, merge it
[20:52] <mhwood> Thanks!
[20:52] <tdonohue> last but not least... DS-1814
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1814 ] - [DS-1814] Allow submitter to create a new version of an item - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <hpottinger> so, my daughter's school called, she's complaining of a stomach ache, I need to go get her
[20:53] <tdonohue> This one is also just awaiting documentation from pbecker. He's aware of it as well
[20:53] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.92 [Firefox 47.0.1/20160705164658])
[20:53] <tdonohue> hpottinger: ugh. We'll talk to you later then. Hope she feels better soon!
[20:53] <tdonohue> That was the last on our "must have" list
[20:54] <tdonohue> Are there any other 6.0 related tickets that anyone wants to discuss at this time?
[20:54] <mhwood> Maybe 6.0 *will* come out before 7.0.
[20:54] <tdonohue> haha :)
[20:54] <lap_> maybe :-)
[20:55] <tdonohue> We are getting very close. My sincere hope is that we can cut down this list in the next week...and aim for a *final* in late Sept (or early Oct at the latest)
[20:55] <lap_> to be clear... I hope to get in touch with 4 and 5 release this Friday or at least next Monday
[20:55] <tdonohue> But, to achieve that, I think we need to trim this list of tickets back down prior to next week's meeting (I think that's very possible though)
[20:55] <lap_> it'ok for you?
[20:56] <tdonohue> lap_ : yes, I think that sounds great. The key would be to ensure all backports are in first (obviously)...so those would need to be done tomorrow or Fri
[20:57] <mhwood> I'll be around all day (GMT-4) with a brief standup meeting in my morning.
[20:57] <tdonohue> lap_: If the backports end up needing more time, I think it's OK if 4.x or 5.x need to be delayed until sometime next week. But, the earlier the better, honestly
[20:57] <lap_> mhwood: thank you!
[20:58] <tdonohue> I will be around all day Friday as well (GMT -5)...and all day Monday
[20:59] <tdonohue> Though, technically, I'm usually always in #dspace IRC whenever I'm at work. I don't have any upcoming travel or vacations (until mid-Oct timeframe)
[20:59] <mhwood> Before we go, quick question: does anyone want to tell me that it would be insane to recast the email bodies as (say) Velocity templates, with access to the configuration?
[20:59] <mhwood> Not for 6.0!
[20:59] <tdonohue> email bodies... as in [config]/email/* files?
[21:00] <mhwood> Yes.
[21:00] <lap_> ok thanks... the only doubt is the announcement for the community, tdonohue: can you prepare the announce? and as usually after works done send the email to the list?
[21:01] <tdonohue> mhwood: I definitely like the idea of giving them access to configuration. Not sure if Velocity is the "best solution" with our move over to Angular2 coming soon. But, the concept is good
[21:01] <mhwood> OK, I'm just mulling it over....
[21:01] <tdonohue> lap_: Yes, I can prepare the community announcement and send it out
[21:02] <tdonohue> mhwood: I guess my eventual "hope" is these email templates would be *editable* from an Admin Menu (in Angular 2 UI). That may not happen right away in DSpace 7...but I think that's the end goal (in my mind)
[21:02] <mhwood> Ah, that's the connection.
[21:02] <lap_> ok thank you
[21:02] <tdonohue> mhwood: so, I was just not sure if Velocity is the right tool then
[21:03] <mhwood> Thanks. Must go. 'bye, all!
[21:03] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, my hope in general is most system configuration would move into the UI layer (as we've talked about forever). But, it obviously won't happen all at once (as that's a massive amount of work)
[21:04] <tdonohue> So, if there are small steps we can take in the meantime that move us "closer" to the end goal...that's great. Just don't want to accidentally move further away
[21:04] <tdonohue> I have to head out now too. But, good meeting all! Thanks!
[21:04] <tdonohue> I'll be available on IRC /email this week and next if anything comes up. We'll check in next week on 6.0 ticket statuses, etc.
[21:04] <tdonohue> Have a good rest of your week
[21:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:05] <lap_> thank you! bye bye
[21:06] <tdonohue> bye!
[21:06] <kompewter> see ya!
[21:09] * lap_ (5feee5b7@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[22:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.