#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-11-09

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:37] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:37] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:37] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:37] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:37] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:37] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:37] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:29] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[14:02] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[15:07] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-147.host.ucla.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:15] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[16:14] * terry-b (~chrome@97-126-114-110.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:55] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[18:42] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[19:52] <tdonohue> notes we have a DSpace DevMtg coming up in about 10mins. Rough agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-09 (But, feel free to bring other topics to discuss, if there are any)
[19:52] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-11-09 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-09
[19:54] * luizsan (~luizsan@ has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome, it's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-09
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-11-09 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-09
[20:01] <tdonohue> Today's meeting is a bit light on actual topics, so if we end up with extra time we can always dig into some JIRA/PR reviews
[20:02] <tdonohue> First up, just wanted to note that the next DSpace 7 UI meetings will be next Tues (Nov 15) at 15UTC (Angular2 team) and 16UTC (REST API team). Any/all are welcome.
[20:03] <tdonohue> Email art@atmire.com (Art Lowel of Atmire) if you want an invite. Once these teams get "established" (this is their first meeting), we'll also be putting out a call on DSpace mailing lists for additional contributors.
[20:04] <tdonohue> Beyond that reminder, I wanted to give an opportunity to talk DSpace 6, if anyone has issues (or successes) they wish to report on the new release. Anyone have comments to share?
[20:05] <tdonohue> not hearing any comments yet. Keep in mind that we definitely want to share feedback on 6.0 as folks upgrade & try it out. So, feel free to bring notes/comments to future meetings
[20:06] <mhwood> Will do.
[20:06] <tdonohue> Does anyone have other topics / questions they wish to bring up for today's meeting? We do have time for general discussion, if there are topics of importance (or issues needing more eyes/suggestions)
[20:09] <tdonohue> not hearing anything here either. ok :)
[20:09] <tdonohue> In that case, I suggest we make the most of our time and do some JIRA backlog reviews (i.e. ticket categorization)
[20:09] <mhwood> OK
[20:10] <tdonohue> Here's our existing backlog: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+Received+ORDER+BY+key+ASC%2C+priority+DESC
[20:10] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+Received+ORDER+BY+key+ASC%2C+priority+DESC
[20:10] <tdonohue> starting from the top of that list... DS-2707
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2707 ] - [DS-2707] Poor messaging when batch upload directory cannot be created - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:11] <tdonohue> I'm assuming this still exists in the refactored API (DSpace 6)? If so, sounds like we need a volunteer to clean up the error messaging, etc
[20:13] <mhwood> I haven't tried this on 6. I should check it out.
[20:14] <mhwood> OK, I found it, I'll take it to fix.
[20:15] <tdonohue> ok, sounds good. thanks, mhwood!
[20:15] <tdonohue> next up, DS-2708
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2708 ] - [DS-2708] Policies assigned to EPeople are not visible in XMLUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <tdonohue> this seems like an obvious "needs volunteer". Could be fixed in a minor release, if someone wants to volunteer for it
[20:16] <mhwood> Needs volunteer.
[20:16] <tdonohue> next, DS-2709
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2709 ] - [DS-2709] Policies can not be directly assigned to EPeople in the UI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <tdonohue> related to 2708 it seems. Also needs volunteer
[20:17] <mhwood> Agreed on both counts.
[20:17] <tdonohue> updated
[20:17] <tdonohue> next, DS-2710
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2710 ] - [DS-2710] Support mathematical formulas/equations in descriptions - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <tdonohue> good idea for future UI, etc. As noted, already some support in Mirage (v1) though. Needs Volunteer likely
[20:18] <mhwood> Needs volunteer.
[20:18] <hpottinger> beware of DS-3087
[20:18] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3087 ] - [DS-3087] Mirage2 uses single dolar sign delimiters for MathJax - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:19] <hpottinger> that's the sort of thing that antagonizes economics professors
[20:19] <mhwood> :-) Better link them then.
[20:21] <tdonohue> linked them up... also linked to DS-635 (added this support in Miragev1). marked needs volunteer
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-635 ] - [DS-635] Rendering MathML code in abstracts using MathJax - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:21] <tdonohue> next, DS-2717
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2717 ] - [DS-2717] Discovery Solr indexer throws ERROR with a stack trace for every non-public item - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:21] <tdonohue> this seems to be assigned to hpottinger?
[20:21] <mhwood> Hmmm, assigned but still Received.
[20:22] <tdonohue> helix84 notes it also may be a duplicate of DS-2887
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2887 ] - [DS-2887] AuthorizeException stacktrace shown instead of restricted access page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:22] <tdonohue> (which was fixed in 6.0)
[20:23] <tdonohue> sounds like this minimally needs more analysis...and possibly needs volunteer (unless hpottinger is still working on this one)
[20:24] <hpottinger> I'd not complain if someone else takes it, perhaps I need to unassign myself?
[20:25] <hpottinger> done, moved 2717 to "needs volunteer"
[20:26] <tdonohue> yes, please proactively unassign yourself and put things back to "needs volunteer" if there are tickets you no longer are working on (or planning to work on soonish)
[20:26] <tdonohue> thanks
[20:26] <tdonohue> next, DS-2720
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2720 ] - [DS-2720] NullPointerException when accessing non existing bitstream via sequence - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:27] <mhwood> Now THAT is interesting. hpottinger and I have been chasing a similar NPE all day.
[20:27] <tdonohue> This probably should be retested in 6.0. It's an NPE in DatabaseManager, and that doesn't exist anymore (replaced by code using Hibernate)
[20:28] <tdonohue> if one of you want to claim it and retest, please feel free. Or did you already find this on 6.0?
[20:28] <mhwood> I don't think the cause is anywhere near DatabaseManager.
[20:28] <mhwood> No, but it is still present in 5.6.
[20:28] <hpottinger> oh, the NPE may be from something else
[20:29] <hpottinger> dspace.cfg:alert.recipient
[20:29] <tdonohue> true. it is worth still fixing in 5.x. I'm just noting we should be checking such issues in 6.x too...this seems like an area of the code that received (or was affected by) major refactoring in 6
[20:30] <hpottinger> I'm hopeful my struggles with setting up the virus scanning curation task step will resolve with an upgrade to 6
[20:32] <tdonohue> In general, I think it's important to start to note 5.x bugs that were "accidentally" fixed in the 6.0 refactor. I suspect there are some (perhaps many)
[20:33] <mhwood> DatabaseManager.queryTable was not very defensive....
[20:33] <tdonohue> exactly. Hibernate is extremely defensive...and therefore 5.x bugs which are relating to (or affect) DatabaseManager, are prime candidates for "accidentally" being fixed in 6.0
[20:33] <mhwood> That list will need people who re-test in 6.
[20:34] <mhwood> I suspect that things like this are not so much fixed as "now we can at least see what it didn't like."
[20:35] <tdonohue> I guess I'm hoping that folks who "claim" tickets (like this) to fix in 5.x will also take the time to check if this still exists in 6.0.
[20:35] <mhwood> Anyway, needs a volunteer to (a) re-test in 6, and (b) fix the durn thing.
[20:36] <tdonohue> +1
[20:36] <mhwood> We should note the need to re-test in each such ticket -- it may help.
[20:36] <tdonohue> agreed, it's at least a reminder
[20:37] <tdonohue> marked as such and noted it should be re-tested in 6.0
[20:37] <tdonohue> next, DS-2721
[20:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2721 ] - [DS-2721] Link element is missing in xml rest response - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:39] <tdonohue> huh... needs volunteer. Already flagged as related to REST API (which is good, as we should look at these in upcoming REST API work for DSpace 7)
[20:39] <mhwood> Yup, needs volunteer.
[20:39] <tdonohue> It's possible this is something specific to demo too...as it sounds slightly "fishy" to me, but either way needs volunteer to investigate
[20:40] <mhwood> REST needs an acceptance test suite to bang on these endpoints for us.
[20:40] <tdonohue> +1
[20:40] <tdonohue> next up, DS-2726
[20:40] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2726 ] - [DS-2726] Migrating pre DSpace 3 embargos on Oracle: Nullpointer without stacktrace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:41] <mhwood> Needs volunteer.
[20:41] <mhwood> May be different on 6.0
[20:41] <tdonohue> +1. Another that needs re-verification in 6.0
[20:42] <tdonohue> noted. next up, DS-2727
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2727 ] - [DS-2727] Message string containing apostrophe isn&#39;t parameterised - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:44] <tdonohue> not sure I fully understand this one
[20:44] <mhwood> Fairly simple, needs volunteer.
[20:44] <tdonohue> Oh, I see...that's a message in Messages.properties that is parameterized, and the message includes an apostrophe.
[20:44] <tdonohue> Here's the message: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/resources/Messages.properties#L784
[20:44] <kompewter> [ DSpace/Messages.properties at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/resources/Messages.properties#L784
[20:45] <mhwood> Yes, looks like something thinks it's an open quote.
[20:46] <tdonohue> noted that line in Messages.properties. Flagged as needs volunteer
[20:46] <tdonohue> next up, DS-2735
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2735 ] - [DS-2735] Mirage 2: Dealing with large lists of authors on item pages, search and browse results - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:46] <tdonohue> This seems like a good idea for the new UI
[20:46] <mhwood> +1
[20:47] <tdonohue> Added an "AngularUI" component to this. Needs volunteer
[20:48] <tdonohue> next, DS-2742
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2742 ] - [DS-2742] Type-binding functionality only considers first entry of dc.type - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:49] <mhwood> Sounds like a bug.
[20:49] <tdonohue> yes, seems like it
[20:50] <tdonohue> marked needs volunteer
[20:50] <tdonohue> next, DS-2743
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2743 ] - [DS-2743] UploadWithEmbargo Step seems disabled on demo.dspace.org/xmlui - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <tdonohue> Not a bug in the software.
[20:51] <mhwood> Is this a demo configuration issue?
[20:51] <tdonohue> that's what it sounds like. It sounds like a request to configure this on demo. Not sure how demo is currently configured based on embargo though
[20:52] <tdonohue> this is currently enabled on demo. just checked
[20:52] <tdonohue> I'll close this
[20:52] <mhwood> Cool
[20:53] <tdonohue> next, DS-2745
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2745 ] - [DS-2745] Mirage 2 w/out local dependies no longer builds - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:53] <tdonohue> claims (in the comments) that this was fixed in 5.4
[20:54] <tdonohue> I guess we should close as fixed in 5.4 then
[20:54] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:54] <tdonohue> done
[20:54] <tdonohue> next, DS-2746
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2746 ] - [DS-2746] Batch zip ingest fails - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:55] <tdonohue> this sounds like a question that should have been asked on dspace-tech
[20:55] <tdonohue> not sure if it's a bug, or a user mistake
[20:56] <mhwood> That's just what I was wondering.
[20:57] <tdonohue> maybe I'll flag this as "needs more info" and ask the user to provide an update or email dspace-tech
[20:57] <tdonohue> it *might* be a bug, but I cannot tell from the limited info here
[20:59] <tdonohue> flagged as such
[20:59] <tdonohue> We'll stop there for today. Made it through a nice list!
[20:59] <mhwood> Yes indeedy.
[21:00] * luizsan_ (~luizsan@ has joined #duraspace
[21:00] <tdonohue> I don't have any other topics/notes for the day, so we'll call that a meeting. Please feel free to bring (or add in the wiki) topics for next week, if you remember (or stumble on) any. Thanks all! That's it for today
[21:00] <mhwood> Thank you.
[21:03] * luizsan (~luizsan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[21:08] <hpottinger> sorry, I had to wander off to greet returning family
[21:29] * luizsan_ (~luizsan@ Quit (Quit: Leaving...)
[21:32] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:56] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-147.host.ucla.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[22:01] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.