#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-11-16

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:42] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:42] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:42] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:15] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:58] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:58] <tdonohue> A friendly reminder that our DSpace DevMtg starts at the top of the hour (in just a few minutes). https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-16
[14:58] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-11-16 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-16
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome, it's time for our weekly DevMtg (agenda linked above). Small crowd today it seems
[15:01] * mhwood waves
[15:01] <tdonohue> pinging Committers (helix84, kshepherd, mhwood, terry-b)
[15:02] <tdonohue> ok, well, wondering if it's just you & I today, mhwood.
[15:03] <tdonohue> I guess I can go through the general reminder here... OR2017 proposal deadlines (yes, even for the DSpace Interest Group sessions) is rapidly approaching. It is Sunday, Nov 20. So, everyone reading this should get your proposals in!
[15:03] <tdonohue> http://or2017.net/2016/09/21/or-2017-call-for-proposals-submissions-due-november-30-2016/ (Despite the link URL, the deadline on this page says Nov 20)
[15:03] <kompewter> [ OR 2017 Call for Proposals – submissions due November 20, 2016 – Open Repositories 2017 CONFERENCE ] - http://or2017.net/2016/09/21/or-2017-call-for-proposals-submissions-due-november-30-2016/
[15:04] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[15:04] <tdonohue> This page has the full OR2017 timelines: http://or2017.net/call-for-proposals/
[15:04] <kompewter> [ Call for Proposals – Open Repositories 2017 CONFERENCE ] - http://or2017.net/call-for-proposals/
[15:04] <tdonohue> Hi hpottinger. Welcome to a small meeting. It seems there's just 3 of us here today
[15:06] <tdonohue> Another general update that I can give (while we wait to see if others arrive)... DSpace 7 UI meetings now have a wiki page: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[15:06] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 UI Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[15:07] <tdonohue> On that page, you'll find notes from yesterday's meeting... keep an eye on that page for all future meeting notes. Obviously meetings will also be announced via email (and I'll remind folks in this meeting too)
[15:07] <hpottinger> oh, great, thanks, I was swamped with other meetings yesterday
[15:08] <mhwood> [embarassed] I have no excuse: I entered the time wrong in my calendar and missed them.
[15:09] <hpottinger> well... honestly, I didn't have them on my calendar, and I did mention during one of my meetings that I needed to find out when the next UI meeting was
[15:09] * hpottinger hangs his head in shame.
[15:09] <tdonohue> I'll admit, I missed most of those meetings yesterday too, but mine was a schedule conflict. I was only on for about 30mins. Hopefully the day/time changes for the next meeting, as my Tuesdays are meeting-full
[15:09] <mhwood> Same here: Tuesdays are difficult.
[15:10] <hpottinger> likewise, yes, Tuesdays are pretty full of meetings for me
[15:10] <hpottinger> Mondays and Fridays are always clear, though
[15:10] <tdonohue> But, Art did a great job capturing notes here, and for the portion I was on, it seemed to be going well, and was well attended (about 8 folks, I believe, including quite a few non-Committers, which is nice)
[15:11] * PhilipV (~philip@ has joined #duraspace
[15:11] <tdonohue> I think that's all I have to say about DSpace 7 work (thanks artlowel and bollini if you are reading this later, for your hard work / leadership). I also already did the OR2017 proposal reminder...
[15:12] <tdonohue> so, I think we are on to DSpace 6 issues/feedback
[15:12] <tdonohue> I've been doing my best to note DSpace 6 tickets as they come in / issues reported on lists. I'm not sure if I missed any, but there's a few on the agenda that look to need eyes
[15:13] <tdonohue> I'll just run through these one by one here
[15:13] <tdonohue> first is this ticket, DS-3381
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3381 ] - [DS-3381] Blocking error trying the versioning system - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:13] <tdonohue> This sounds like a definite bug... an unexpected null
[15:15] <tdonohue> I haven't had a chance to dig in here, but I'm hoping it's nothing severe....my guess is it might be an area of the code that wasn't fully updated for the API refactor. These JS areas of code in XMLUI aspects are hard to test
[15:16] <tdonohue> Is anyone interested in claiming this to investigate the issue? Seems like something we should get into a 6.1 release to me
[15:16] <mhwood> It's reported against JSPUI as well. So the bug appears to be deeper.
[15:17] <tdonohue> aha, yes, just realizing that. The errors attached are both XMLUI errors though
[15:17] <mhwood> I agree that it's a bug and should be addressed soon.
[15:18] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:18] <pbecker> hi
[15:18] <tdonohue> I'll add a comment to paulo to see if he can attach the JSPUI errors to the ticket as well
[15:18] <mhwood> It may be easier to use JSPUI to track down the problem.
[15:19] <tdonohue> pbecker, hi...we are talking DS-3381 (a recent DSpace 6 reported issue)
[15:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3381 ] - [DS-3381] Blocking error trying the versioning system - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:19] <tdonohue> I just added a comment to 3381 asking paulo if he can attach the errors he is seeing from JSPUI too
[15:19] <pbecker> tdonohue: thanks for helping me into the disccusion
[15:20] <pbecker> We added the feature that submitters can version their items. So the method in the error sounds familiar.
[15:20] <hpottinger> that almost sounded like "I volunteer" :-)
[15:21] <tdonohue> pbecker: any interest in claiming 3381? Or working with someone else on it?
[15:21] <pbecker> I'm stucked in our own update, so I won't claim the ticket. But I can test versioning (again) this week.
[15:22] <tdonohue> pbecker: ok, no problem. if you hit this error, please do post what you find to the ticket.
[15:22] <pbecker> For sure
[15:23] <pbecker> Sorry, but I have some time pressure to get us to 6.0
[15:23] <tdonohue> anyone else interested in digging into this further? Either way, I'm going to keep this ticket in our agenda...as it seems an important one to keep track of in the coming weeks
[15:25] <mhwood> We're not using versioning here, so I'd have to learn how to set it up and exercise it.
[15:26] <tdonohue> ok. we'll just leave this on the agenda for now then. Hopefully with more info on the errors, we'll get a better sense of the depth of the issue.
[15:26] <tdonohue> moving along to another 6.0 reported ticket (again on our agenda)... DS-3370
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3370 ] - [DS-3370] Task Properties are no longer read from configuration file named with configured task name - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:27] <tdonohue> To me, this sounds like a possible undiscovered bug with the new (Apache Commons) Configuration system. Likely the code reading these configs needs a small refactor
[15:28] <mhwood> I agree.
[15:28] <tdonohue> I haven't had a chance to dig in here though, and honestly won't have time until next year (given the limitations on my dev time right now). But, I'm hoping it's something someone else could figure out
[15:28] <tdonohue> Any volunteers for this one?
[15:29] <hpottinger> I have started the process of upgrading our dspace pilot server to 6.0, and have noticed a few curiosities in the local.cfg file... I'm going to keep an eye on them for now.
[15:29] <mhwood> If nobody else wants it, I *have* done a small amount of work with curation tasks. I can look into it.
[15:30] <tdonohue> mhwood: sounds like no one else is jumping at it here. So, I'd say give it a run when you have a chance...let us know if you hit problem points, or have questions!
[15:30] <tdonohue> and thanks, mhwood!
[15:30] <mhwood> OK.
[15:31] <pbecker> mhwod: I know Martin Walk and can call him every working day.
[15:31] <tdonohue> BTW, I just flagged both these tickets as "Fix for 6.1"...as they both seem important to fix in that release
[15:31] <hpottinger> one of the reasons I'm proceeding with an upgrade to 6.0 is to try to get the Virus scanning curation task to work as part of the submission process in the JSPUI, so I'll be in this area of the code
[15:31] <mhwood> pbecker: that is good to know.
[15:31] <pbecker> just give me a hint if you need some reaction from him...
[15:32] <mhwood> Thanks!
[15:32] <tdonohue> Moving along for now... another 6.0 topic on the agenda. The "dspace-replicate" (Replication Task Suite) requires updates before it will work with DSpace 6.0 (as it uses the old API and old ConfigurationManager calls)
[15:32] <pbecker> np
[15:32] <tdonohue> https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-replicate
[15:32] <kompewter> [ GitHub - DSpace/dspace-replicate: DSpace Replication Task Suite - Backup/restore DSpace to/from DuraCloud or mounted drive ] - https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-replicate
[15:33] <tdonohue> So, if there's anyone of you who regularly use the Replication Task Suite, it could use help in updating to 6.0 (and then a new release).
[15:34] <tdonohue> This is something I have also tended to maintain, but it's not something that is high priority for me yet (as we are not yet upgrading DSpaceDirect customers to 6.0...and likely won't do that until early next year)
[15:34] <tdonohue> So, this is both a WARNING (that dspace-replicate *will not work with 6.0*) and a call for a volunteer (if anyone is interested)
[15:35] <tdonohue> Does anyone here use this tool for AIP backups/restores?
[15:35] <mhwood> I probably shouldn't volunteer yet. But I've been meaning to look at this as a replacement for some home-grown scripting that surrounds SyncTool.
[15:37] <hpottinger> we don't use this yet, but plan to
[15:37] <tdonohue> Ok, well, for the time being, I've added a warning to this module's documentation at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ReplicationTaskSuite
[15:37] <kompewter> [ ReplicationTaskSuite - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ReplicationTaskSuite
[15:38] <mhwood> Is there a Jira ticket?
[15:38] <hpottinger> so, sure, I'll work on updating replication task suite
[15:38] <hpottinger> mhwood: great question
[15:38] <tdonohue> I can create one quickly
[15:39] <mhwood> That would raise the issue's visibility a bit.
[15:39] <hpottinger> tdonohue++ and then link to it on that wiki page
[15:41] <tdonohue> DS-3389 created. Will link up to that wiki page
[15:41] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:41] <mhwood> Thanks!
[15:42] <tdonohue> done
[15:42] <tdonohue> Also added that new ticket to our agenda (for next week)
[15:43] <tdonohue> That was the full list of 6.0 issues that I was aware of. Are there other 6.0 issues that I've missed or that others want to bring up?
[15:44] <tdonohue> ok, not hearing any.
[15:44] <tdonohue> Any other topics folks wish to discuss today? Or should we do a few quick JIRA backlog reviews for the next 10-15 mins?
[15:46] <tdonohue> not hearing anything else... in that case, here's the JIRA backlog: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+Received+ORDER+BY+key+ASC%2C+priority+DESC
[15:46] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+Received+ORDER+BY+key+ASC%2C+priority+DESC
[15:46] * pbecker will be lurking only.
[15:46] <tdonohue> we'll start with DS-2752
[15:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2752 ] - [DS-2752] Request-a-copy form asks about &quot;all files/selected files&quot; even when there is only one file - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:47] <tdonohue> seems like an obvious usability bug. needs volunteer
[15:47] <mhwood> Yes
[15:47] <tdonohue> I'll also flag this one for "AngularUI" as it could be fixed there, obviously
[15:47] <tdonohue> next, DS-2753
[15:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2753 ] - [DS-2753] Request-a-copy form promises that users of the system can log in to view restricted files even when file is admin-only - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:48] <tdonohue> same deal. needs volunteer. usability issue
[15:48] <hpottinger> pretty simple to change the properties line to not make promises
[15:49] <tdonohue> yes...still needs a volunteer though ;)
[15:49] <tdonohue> updated... next up, DS-2755
[15:49] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2755 ] - [DS-2755] Unable to use Serbian Latin (sr_Latn) variant - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:49] <hpottinger> let me rephrase: low hanging fruit :-)
[15:49] <tdonohue> hpottinger: already flagged as such
[15:50] <hpottinger> :-)
[15:50] <tdonohue> 2755 sounds like it should have been asked on dspace-tech
[15:50] <tdonohue> unclear if this is a bug or not
[15:51] <mhwood> I note that "message" is used for one file and "messages" for the other.
[15:51] <tdonohue> yes, not sure if that's just a typo in the ticket though. pretty sure it's supposed to be "messages"
[15:52] <tdonohue> in any case, this seems like one we should close and ask them to post to dspace-tech if they are still having issues
[15:52] <tdonohue> there's not enough info in this ticket to do anything
[15:53] <mhwood> Yes, "DSpace was unable to use it" doesn't actually say what happened.
[15:53] <tdonohue> closed & commented with my "template" text about asking on dspace-tech
[15:54] <tdonohue> next, DS-2756
[15:54] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2756 ] - [DS-2756] rest fails after repeated item creation - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:54] <tdonohue> some activity here...unclear if it's fixed yet (by the referenced DS-2831) or not
[15:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2831 ] - [DS-2831] Database connections cleanup issues - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:55] <tdonohue> I can flag this as "needs more info" and ask if it has been fixed by 2831
[15:57] <tdonohue> done
[15:57] <tdonohue> one more... DS-2760
[15:57] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2760 ] - [DS-2760] Restricting upload of certain filetypes with Bitstream Format Registry - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:58] <tdonohue> seems like an interesting idea...would definitely need a volunteer though. And aschweer's comment is correct here
[15:58] <mhwood> Agreed on both counts.
[15:59] <tdonohue> flagged as such, and linked it up as related to DS-1093
[15:59] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1093 ] - [DS-1093] Verify file formats at the point of file upload. - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:59] <tdonohue> We'll stop there for today.
[16:00] <tdonohue> I should mention (in general), while it's not exciting work... our JIRA backlog is quite large these days. So if anyone (or several folks) ever want to do some quick cleanup at another time, I'd welcome it. Some of these tickets really are quick to analyze
[16:01] <tdonohue> But, I fully realize you all are volunteers...just wanted to put in that reminder that we could use the help here (from Committers or non-Committers, either) ;)
[16:01] * luizsan (~luizsan@ has joined #duraspace
[16:01] <tdonohue> In any case, we are at the top of the hour. No other topics on our agenda, so we'll close the meeting for today. I'll keep the 6.0 tickets on our agenda for next week. If you stumble on others, please add them to next week's agenda too!
[16:01] <hpottinger> speaking of backlog... is backlog hour next?
[16:01] <tdonohue> thanks all!
[16:02] * luizsan (~luizsan@ Quit (Client Quit)
[16:02] <tdonohue> hpottinger: you are welcome to run a backlog hour. I won't make it today, but i'd encourage it if others are willing / have time
[16:02] <mhwood> That's what my calendar says.
[16:04] * tdonohue notes that I just added the "template agenda" for next week's DevMtg. If you have topics to add, please do so before next week! https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-23
[16:04] <mhwood> Noted, thanks.
[17:03] * PhilipV (~philip@ Quit (Quit: PhilipV)
[18:38] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[19:02] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[22:01] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:24] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) Quit ()
[22:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[23:07] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.