#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-11-23

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:26] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:26] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:26] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:53] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:59] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[18:32] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for the weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda for today: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-23
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-11-23 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-11-23
[20:01] <tdonohue> First up, a friendly reminder that the OR2017 Call for Proposals has been extended to Weds, Nov 30 (a week from today)
[20:03] <tdonohue> It'd be nice to get some good turnout for DSpace in Australia. So, if you think you can make it, send in a talk proposal. I'd like to get talks on DSpace 6 features especially (since I think Dspace 7 early work will be well represented)
[20:04] <hpottinger> I've got a workshop proposal in
[20:04] <tdonohue> pinging Committers to ensure folks are paying attention: helix84, hpottinger, mhwood, terry-b
[20:04] <tdonohue> hpottinger: care to share what you hope to talk on?
[20:04] * mhwood is here
[20:04] <tdonohue> (For that matter, others are welcome to share OR2017 talk ideas too!)
[20:06] <terry-b> I'm online, but not tracking the conversation today. Ping me if you have a question for me.
[20:07] <tdonohue> Ok, guess no one wants to share OR2017 proposal ideas... (sorry, got distracted for a moment)
[20:08] <tdonohue> moving along, we have some 6.0 tickets in our agenda that need more eyes/reviews. Again, I've been trying to track these as they come in. If I've missed any, please add them to the list
[20:08] <mhwood> I've been thinking "next time I should present something," but then, present what?
[20:09] <mhwood> 3370 was closed with documentation (thanks to tdonohue's hints).
[20:10] <tdonohue> RE: talk ideas...I've been thinking any major feature of 6.0 could be worth a "deeper dive" talk. So, look at the 6.0 release notes and see if there's a topic you'd like to discuss in more detail (with examples from real life even)
[20:10] <mhwood> Good idea.
[20:10] <mhwood> Thanks.
[20:11] <tdonohue> at OR2016, we briefly mentioned 6.0 features, but none got a ton of attention... OR2017 is a chance to highlight them more
[20:11] <tdonohue> back to 6.0 tickets...might be worth reviewing each of these open tickets in this meeting, just to get ideas or volunteers
[20:12] <tdonohue> terry-b: since you are just lurking, thought I'd mention your work on "Quality Control Reports" (REST API) in 6.0 could make a good talk at OR2017.
[20:12] <tdonohue> ok, now, really back to 6.0...here's the first ticket in our list
[20:13] <tdonohue> DS-3367
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3367 ] - [DS-3367] Workflow - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <terry-b> I would love for it to be covered, unfortunately I will not be at the conference
[20:14] <hpottinger> whoops, sorry, missed your ping, tdonohue, my workshop proposal is an intro to Ansible, and in particular a focus on duplicating an existing, hand-built service
[20:16] <tdonohue> hpottinger: cool, sounds good
[20:17] <hpottinger> have a bunch of collaborators, should be pretty productive
[20:18] <tdonohue> so, regarding 3367...this sounds like a bug to me, likely Configurable Workflow specific. Needs analysis though
[20:18] <mhwood> Agreed.
[20:19] <tdonohue> oh, and I just realized this is a 5.6 bug, not 6.0
[20:19] <tdonohue> I also changed the title to clarify it better... DS-3367
[20:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3367 ] - [DS-3367] Configurable Workflow authorization denied error - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:19] <mhwood> Great minds think alike -- I had made a similar change. :-)
[20:19] <tdonohue> Anyone interested in digging into this further
[20:19] <tdonohue> ?
[20:20] <hpottinger> there's a comment farther down that says someone has seen this error on 6.0 as well
[20:23] <tdonohue> aha, you are correct. missed that. I'll update it
[20:23] <tdonohue> so, seems we need a volunteer for this one. For the time being, I'll leave it on our list to review (cause of small attendance today)
[20:25] <tdonohue> next up is DS-3381
[20:25] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3381 ] - [DS-3381] Blocking error trying the versioning system - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:26] <tdonohue> we looked at this last week. no response for more info on it yet, but it seems like a bug to me. Needs a volunteer still as well
[20:27] <tdonohue> 3370 was fixed
[20:27] <tdonohue> and DS-3389 came up last week as well (still needs a volunteer)
[20:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <tdonohue> hpottinger, did you want to add your recent ticket to this list?
[20:28] <hpottinger> sure
[20:29] <hpottinger> I have a suspicion this might be due to the SQL dialect not being configured correctly
[20:29] <tdonohue> in 6.0 in general? Or specifically in your site?
[20:30] <hpottinger> my local dev version, though I just copied the exmample local.cfg
[20:30] <mhwood> It looks like we ship with a hacked version of the PostgreSQL82Dialect?
[20:31] <mhwood> Maybe time for an update.
[20:31] <hpottinger> indeed, I'm running 9.5.5
[20:33] <hpottinger> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/storage/rdbms/hibernate/postgres/DSpacePostgreSQL82Dialect.java
[20:33] <kompewter> [ DSpace/DSpacePostgreSQL82Dialect.java at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/storage/rdbms/hibernate/postgres/DSpacePostgreSQL82Dialect.java
[20:33] <tdonohue> for those following later...this discussion is all around DS-3399 (hpottinger's ticket)
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3399 ] - [DS-3399] unable run registry-loader, which is a blocker for upgrading - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:36] <mhwood> So, basically we are running against 9.4 or better, using the 8.2 dialect extended with UUIDs and CLOBs.
[20:36] <mhwood> Why am I not surprised that that might break someday?
[20:36] * hpottinger needs to sit down...
[20:37] <tdonohue> yea, we may need an update there... we'll likely still need a custom dialect though, as PostgreSQL doesn't support UUIDs by default (hence need for pgcrypto extension)
[20:38] <tdonohue> But, we probably should see if updating that dialect to a more recent version solves this issue
[20:38] <hpottinger> what version of Hibernate are we running?
[20:38] <mhwood> 4.2.21.Final
[20:38] <tdonohue> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/pom.xml#L32
[20:38] <kompewter> [ DSpace/pom.xml at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/pom.xml#L32
[20:39] <tdonohue> we are stuck at Hibernate 4.2, until we ditch XMLUI
[20:39] <mhwood> Ooops! "Hibernate version pinned to 4.2, 4.3 does not work with the spring version we are currently using"
[20:39] <hpottinger> https://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.2/javadocs/org/hibernate/dialect/PostgreSQLDialect.html
[20:39] <kompewter> [ PostgreSQLDialect (Hibernate JavaDocs) ] - https://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.2/javadocs/org/hibernate/dialect/PostgreSQLDialect.html
[20:39] * mhwood wonders how much the dialect contract changed in Hibernate 5.
[20:40] <tdonohue> So, in DSpace 6 we cannot update Hibernate. But, we can update Hibernate in DSpace 7 (new UI) as needed
[20:40] <tdonohue> yea, looks like Hibernate 4.2 uses PostgresSQL82Dialect. We might be stuck with that too
[20:41] <tdonohue> hpottinger's link above to "PostgreSQLDialect" in Hibernate 4.2 notes "Deprecated. use PostgresSQL82Dialect instead"
[20:41] <mhwood> Unless a newer dialect can be snitched from Hibernate 5 and used with 4.2.
[20:42] <hpottinger> so... I have a DB that my app can't talk to... looks like I need to roll back to an earlier version of PostgreSQL
[20:42] <tdonohue> hpottinger: what version are you running again? We've been testing with Postgres 9.4
[20:42] <mhwood> It would be interesting to see the query that eventually ships out to Pg.
[20:43] <hpottinger> I'm running 9.5.5
[20:43] <mhwood> I did all my 6.0 testing against 9.5.4.
[20:43] <tdonohue> vagrant-dspace is using 9.5.something too
[20:43] <tdonohue> is this 9.5.5 specific then? That seems like it'd be odd
[20:44] <hpottinger> welll... hrmm...
[20:45] <hpottinger> running `dspace version` I can see the same exception I described in DS-3399
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3399 ] - [DS-3399] unable run registry-loader, which is a blocker for upgrading - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <tdonohue> sounds like we may need more info here...need some logs to see what query is being run, and make sure it's not a bad query or lack of escaped characters...maybe it's not a dialect issue
[20:47] <hpottinger> updated DS-3399 with a comment
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3399 ] - [DS-3399] unable run registry-loader, which is a blocker for upgrading - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:49] <hpottinger> I've turned on debug logging, but no querry shows up. If there is something I need to do other than turn on debug logging, I can do it
[20:49] <tdonohue> mhwood linked to how to log queries from hibernate (in #dspace)
[20:49] <tdonohue> here it is: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1710476/print-query-string-in-hibernate-with-parameter-values
[20:49] <kompewter> [ java - Print query string in Hibernate with parameter values - Stack Overflow ] - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1710476/print-query-string-in-hibernate-with-parameter-values
[20:51] <tdonohue> something odd is definitely going on here...just seems like we need more info to figure out what.
[20:51] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:52] <tdonohue> are there any other topics we wish to discuss today (6.0 or otherwise)?
[20:53] <mhwood> DS-2707 could use some eyes, if anyone has time.
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2707 ] - [DS-2707] Poor messaging when batch upload directory cannot be created - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:53] <mhwood> (I also went off on a tangent, in a separate branch, and started reworking the whole approach to ingesting Zip SAF batches. But that's for another day.)
[20:54] <tdonohue> Before I forget, I should mention that notes from the first DSpace 7 Mtgs (last week) on Angular2UI / REST API are now posted at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2016-11-15+DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group+Meeting+notes
[20:54] <kompewter> [ 2016-11-15 DSpace 7 UI Working Group Meeting notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2016-11-15+DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group+Meeting+notes
[20:54] <tdonohue> (So, that's just something to read later when you get the chance)
[20:54] <mhwood> Also, I promised Johan__ that I would mention his unanswered question from some time ago: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/7Ry-iRlYVCs
[20:54] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/7Ry-iRlYVCs
[20:56] <tdonohue> mhwood: the fixes to 2707 look reasonable at a glance..there's a lot of small tweaks here though, so not sure if we need Unit Tests (or manual tests) to verify
[20:57] <tdonohue> Johan's issue probably should be turned into a ticket if this has been verified elsewhere. That sounds like a possible accident bug (maybe from the massive API refactor)
[20:58] <tdonohue> they *should* be alphabetical (as that's how they were in 5.x, right?) and not ordered by date created
[20:58] <hpottinger> added a debug log as a comment on DS-3399
[20:58] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3399 ] - [DS-3399] unable run registry-loader, which is a blocker for upgrading - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:00] <mhwood> 2707 got messy, but most of it is just more debug logging and whitespace normalization (so I could read it). The actual fix is two tiny bits.
[21:00] <tdonohue> hpottinger: that debug log gives us more info... it doesn't like the period before "from .webapp" That "." before webapp is at position 166
[21:01] <hpottinger> I've gotta run, another meeting, alas
[21:01] <tdonohue> hpottinger: now, I don't know *why* it doesn't like that period, but that's what it is complaining about it seems
[21:01] <mhwood> Oh, is this a problem with the schema name? Like, not having one?
[21:01] <tdonohue> mhwood: maybe?
[21:01] <hpottinger> if anyone has ideas for me to try, comment on that ticket?
[21:02] <tdonohue> I'm going to need to run here too, unfortunately. but, it sounds like we now have more info on 3399
[21:02] <hpottinger> db.schema = public
[21:02] <tdonohue> I'd also recommend to Johan (or someone) to create a new 6.0 ticket about community ordering...we can add it to our list for next week
[21:03] <tdonohue> I have to head out though.. So, have a good Thanksgiving holiday USA-folks! See you next week!
[21:04] <hpottinger> aha, db.schema = {blank} in local.cfg
[21:04] <mhwood> Thanks, all!
[21:04] <hpottinger> fix, restart...
[21:04] <tdonohue> hpottinger: that's it. I think it *needs* to be "public" now
[21:04] <mhwood> Yes it does. Or, it needs to be correct and nonblank.
[21:05] <mhwood> Johan__ is still on IRC, just not here. I've sent a message to file a ticket.
[21:05] <tdonohue> If this is the "fix", we should add a note about db.schema in the docs for 6.x.
[21:05] <tdonohue> bye!
[21:05] <kompewter> bye
[21:05] <hpottinger> yep, and local.cfg
[21:06] <hpottinger> woohoo
[21:07] <hpottinger> dspace version worked
[21:07] <mhwood> Yay!
[21:07] <hpottinger> registry-loader did as well
[21:07] <mhwood> :-]
[21:07] <hpottinger> phew, back on track
[21:07] <hpottinger> thanks!
[21:07] <mhwood> You're welcome.
[21:07] <hpottinger> OK, next meeting
[21:07] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[21:07] * mhwood waves bye-bye
[21:51] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:21] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[23:28] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.