#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-12-14

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:36] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:36] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:36] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:36] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:37] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:37] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:37] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:32] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:57] <tdonohue> All, friendly reminder that our DSpace DevMtg starts shortly (~4mins). Rough agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-12-14
[15:00] <tdonohue> Hmmm.. so, it's DevMtg time, and we just have myself, helix84 (who is presumably just lurking) and mhwood
[15:00] <tdonohue> I guess it's that time of year though
[15:01] <mhwood> ZZZzzzz... *oh!* Hi.
[15:02] <tdonohue> So, with just two of us here, I seems less useful to touch base on our list of 6.x tickets, unless there's any status you wish to report mhwood (or what eyes on anything in that list?)
[15:02] <tdonohue> *want* eyes
[15:03] <mhwood> I'm afraid I have nothing to report. Would like to close up DS-2707.
[15:04] <tdonohue> no worries (on nothing to report). I'll take a look at DS-2707 (where's kompewter?)
[15:04] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[15:04] <tdonohue> aha, there's hpottinger...and now we are three
[15:04] <hpottinger> brb, lol, have to feed the dog
[15:05] <tdonohue> nice excuse ;)
[15:05] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:05] <tdonohue> and there's kompewter...just kicked it awake
[15:05] <tdonohue> So, we were looking at DS-2707 / DSPR#1575
[15:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2707 ] - [DS-2707] Poor messaging when batch upload directory cannot be created - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:05] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1575 ] - [DS-2707] Poor messaging when batch upload directory cannot be created by mwoodiupui
[15:06] <tdonohue> honestly, to me mhwood, I trust this PR if you've done some testing. It is mostly realignment of code...and the few new code areas you call out seem rather minimal/obvious to me
[15:06] <hpottinger> back
[15:07] <tdonohue> I already added my approval. Not sure if hpottinger wishes to comment here on it too?
[15:08] <mhwood> I should file another ticket about replacing all of the System.out stuff.
[15:08] <hpottinger> done, it's at +2
[15:08] <hpottinger> mhwood++
[15:08] <mhwood> OK, thanks, will merge and close up.
[15:10] <tdonohue> Sounds good. Are there any other 6.x tickets (in our agenda) we need to touch on / get updates on? Please give them a scan hpottinger (as mhwood already said no updates from him) ;)
[15:10] <tdonohue> that agenda again https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-12-14
[15:10] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-12-14 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-12-14
[15:11] <tdonohue> If we have no other updates, I'd suggest we do JIRA reviews. Our backlog is getting out of hand, and we need to get it back under control
[15:12] <hpottinger> I spent a bit of time with DS-3389 last week
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:12] <tdonohue> hpottinger: oh, excellent. How goes it?
[15:13] <hpottinger> I just changed version nubmers in the pom and ran a mvn test to see what breaks
[15:13] <hpottinger> tldr: a lot
[15:13] <hpottinger> turns out UUIDs aren't integers
[15:13] <hpottinger> :-)
[15:14] <tdonohue> yes, I expected as much. I don't think the changes should be difficult (as most should be obvious issues like new Class names, or UUIDs and such)...but there are probably quite a few of them to change
[15:14] <tdonohue> But, if you hit on difficult pieces, I'm glad to offer feedback along the way
[15:14] <mhwood> "
[15:15] <tdonohue> double quote?
[15:15] <hpottinger> OK, cool... first I think I'll need an IDE
[15:15] <mhwood> Ditto mark.
[15:15] <tdonohue> oh, now I get it mhwood. ;)
[15:15] <hpottinger> mark sez ditto mark
[15:15] <tdonohue> mark ditto sez mark
[15:15] <tdonohue> :)
[15:16] <hpottinger> that's a nice little poem
[15:16] <tdonohue> ok, in any case, any other updates on these tickets? Or shall we move along to JIRA backlog reviews?
[15:16] <hpottinger> DS-3282... is at "received"
[15:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3282 ] - [DS-3282] Mirage2: Advanced Search Filters Do Not Display if one contains a &quot;-&quot; - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:17] <tdonohue> aha, good point. we should review that one
[15:17] <hpottinger> and it has a PR
[15:18] <tdonohue> PR is out of date (unfortunately). But, yes, I think this should be flagged "needs code review". And it looks obvious once PR is updated
[15:18] <tdonohue> flagged as such
[15:19] <tdonohue> and notified terry-b to update the branch
[15:20] * terry-b (~chrome@97-113-118-39.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:20] <tdonohue> Oh, another quick topic (forgot to add to the agenda). Who will be around next week (Weds, Dec 21 @ 20UTC)? Wondering if we should meet then, though I guess we could just do JIRA reviews if the crowd is tiny
[15:20] <mhwood> I will be off work but may be able to attend if it's happening.
[15:20] <hpottinger> I'll be around
[15:20] <terry-b> Good morning. I will be online next week.
[15:21] <tdonohue> and there's terry-b...his ears must've been burning (over DSPR#1546)
[15:21] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1546 ] - [DS-3282] Fix js error for filters with dashes by terrywbrady
[15:21] <hpottinger> terr-b, if you rebase 1546 I'll test it
[15:21] <terry-b> The email from Jira, reminded me to sign on
[15:21] <tdonohue> Ok, so let's go ahead and do a meeting next week then (I'll be around as well). If the crowd ends up small (which has been the norm in Dec anyhow), we'll do mostly JIRA backlog
[15:22] <terry-b> Sure. I will rebase again.
[15:22] <tdonohue> We will have *no* meeting though on Dec 28 (between Xmas and New years)... I'm off then, and I imagine most others will be too
[15:22] <mhwood> I'm sending myself a note at home to attend if possible.
[15:23] <tdonohue> mhwood: no worries if you don't make it. As mentioned, it'll just be JIRA stuff...so if you'd rather have a break, take one ;)
[15:24] <hpottinger> oh... so... if no meeting on 12/28... do we have to re-orient our alternating meeting times?
[15:24] <tdonohue> hpottinger: no, I tend to leave them the same, even if we skip a mtg. It gets too confusing otherwise
[15:24] <tdonohue> So, the next two mtgs will be..
[15:24] <tdonohue> Next week: Weds, Dec 21 @ 20UTC
[15:25] <tdonohue> After new year: Weds, Jan 4 @ 20UTC
[15:25] <hpottinger> OK, cool... it took me a really long time to schedule the meetings on my calendar
[15:25] <tdonohue> we'll be back on the flip/flop schedule again after that
[15:26] <mhwood> I have Thunderbird watching the shared Google calendar, so whatever it says, I'll try to be around then.
[15:26] <tdonohue> Ok, so, I propose we take the rest of this meeting for JIRA Backlog, unless there's any further pressing topics from anyone?
[15:26] <mhwood> None here.
[15:27] <hpottinger> sounds good, let's smash that backlog
[15:27] <tdonohue> here's that backlog: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+Received+ORDER+BY+key+ASC%2C+priority+DESC
[15:27] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+Received+ORDER+BY+key+ASC%2C+priority+DESC
[15:27] <tdonohue> starting at the top with DS-2785
[15:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2785 ] - [DS-2785] Duplicate Author entries in Discovery and SOLR Authority control index - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:28] <tdonohue> sounds like a needs volunteer (as Bram has verified this is an issue it seems)
[15:28] <mhwood> Yes
[15:29] <tdonohue> done
[15:29] <tdonohue> next, DS-2787
[15:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2787 ] - [DS-2787] SLF4J: Failed to load class &quot;org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder&quot; - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:29] <tdonohue> um...huh. Never seen this before. Wondering if we need more info here on how to reproduce this
[15:30] <mhwood> Oh, I see that all the time. It seems innocuous.
[15:31] <mhwood> Notice that it happens during a Maven run, not at DSpace runtime.
[15:31] <hpottinger> does this only happen with dspace-5_x?
[15:32] <mhwood> I think I've seen it with 6. Let me check.
[15:32] <tdonohue> ok, could you add a comment to that effect then, mhwood? Seems like that'd make this a "needs volunteer" but might be a low priority here if innocuous
[15:33] <hpottinger> so... why do we need two versions of slf4j?
[15:33] <tdonohue> I flagged it as "needs volunteer". mhwood, I'd recommend adding a comment to this from your experiences
[15:34] <mhwood> I added a brief comment. If I come up with more, I'll extend it.
[15:34] <mhwood> What two versions?
[15:34] <hpottinger> "We do have both slf4j-jdk14 and slf4j-log4j12 in our POMs"
[15:34] <tdonohue> hpottinger: not sure that *is* two versions of slf4j. I think slf4j-log4j12 is the plugin that lets slf4j work with log4j. So, I think we have one version of slf4j, and one of its plugins
[15:35] <mhwood> We jave adapters for JUL (jdk14) and Log4j 1.2 (log4j12).
[15:35] <tdonohue> mhwood++
[15:36] <tdonohue> In any case, it sounds like this is very low priority. Good to have a ticket though if others hit this and worry about the error
[15:36] <mhwood> And you may notice that I'm slowly replacing log4j Logger with slf4j Logger whenever I need parameterized messages.
[15:36] <mhwood> Yes, I think it is low pro
[15:36] <mhwood> Low priority.
[15:37] <mhwood> It would be good to fix it and remove any confusion.
[15:37] <tdonohue> yep
[15:37] <tdonohue> ok, moving along for now... DS-2788 is next
[15:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2788 ] - [DS-2788] Performance degradation of SOLR Discovery indexing in DSpace 5 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:37] <tdonohue> This one is definitely "needs volunteer". Some good discussion in ticket comments but no resolution
[15:38] <tdonohue> cwilper has a note about tools to generate DSpace objects for testing. Cool. I wonder if we should link to these elsewhere
[15:39] <hpottinger> so, this is a 5x performance issue
[15:39] <hpottinger> and it's "fixed" in 6x because of the Hibernate refactor?
[15:40] <tdonohue> no idea. Not sure we have enough data. Likely needs verification on 6.x
[15:40] <mhwood> Dunno if this is fixed, but early 6 snapshots had terrible scaling and that was addressed.
[15:41] <hpottinger> I'll add a comment
[15:41] <tdonohue> My guess is that this may still exist in 6.x, as the performance issues seemed to be with Solr itself...but, a solution/cause was never actually found here...so it needs retesting on 6.x
[15:42] <mhwood> Agreed, retest.
[15:42] <tdonohue> hpottinger: are you already updating the status of this ticket? Or should I?
[15:42] <mhwood> Hmmm, there was a note just today on -tech about poor reindex performance.
[15:43] <hpottinger> I moved it to "needs more details"
[15:43] <tdonohue> this might be related, but it's hard to say for certain
[15:43] <mhwood> Yes, I don't understand either report very well yet.
[15:43] <tdonohue> ok, thanks hpottinger. updates look good
[15:44] <tdonohue> next on our list... DS-2789
[15:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2789 ] - [DS-2789] Display a &quot;restricted image&quot; for a thumbnail if the bitstream is restricted - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:44] <tdonohue> sounds like a verified issue, so needs volunteer
[15:45] <hpottinger> has a patch in comments
[15:45] <tdonohue> yes, needs a PR from that patch. I'll add a comment asking for a PR
[15:45] <terry-b> I can take this one. We have done some similar work
[15:45] <tdonohue> This also sounds like a bug fix to me.. not a "new feature"
[15:46] <hpottinger> agreed
[15:46] <tdonohue> terry-b: ok, feel free to just claim this then
[15:46] <terry-b> I also found some CSS that hide the broken image icon
[15:46] <tdonohue> I'm going to try and change this ticket over to a "Bug". Give me a sec
[15:47] <tdonohue> updated. It's now a bug
[15:47] <hpottinger> stomp on it, terry-b!
[15:47] <tdonohue> and assigned to terry-b
[15:47] <tdonohue> moving right along... next is DS-2795
[15:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2795 ] - [DS-2795] Solr upgrade for DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:47] <tdonohue> needs volunteer
[15:48] <terry-b> (Frustrated here - I spent half a day last week trying to run rebases on my 4 simple PR's.... I have corrupted each one I have touched again today. )
[15:49] <tdonohue> terry-b: what are you running that "corrupts" them? Git is pretty powerful, and I find I usually can step out of "corruption" by reverting changes and doing a force push to PR's branch
[15:49] <hpottinger> if you have the PR branch checked out and run git pull upstream master you'll pull all the commits from master, and it'll "look weird" you have to have master checked out before you pull from upstream
[15:49] <tdonohue> flagged 2795 as needs volunteer. Also flagging DS-2796 (related) as needs volunteer
[15:49] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2796 ] - [DS-2796] Solr core auto-discovery - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:50] <mhwood> 2796 has a PR in progress.
[15:50] <tdonohue> sorry 2796 has a PR. that one should be assigned
[15:50] <terry-b> Ivan gave me some commands to repair them last week after the recipe that I followed corrupted each one.
[15:51] <hpottinger> so... Solr upgrade for DSpace, sounds good... but probably not for a bugfix release?
[15:51] <mhwood> Good point hpottinger.
[15:51] * tdonohue wonders if we should write a clear "recipe" for PR updates in our Git hints: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git
[15:52] <tdonohue> yes, 2796 should be for 7.0. Looks like it was autoupdated to 6.1 after it missed 6.0
[15:52] <terry-b> I would appreciate that.
[15:52] <terry-b> I agree on 2796
[15:53] <tdonohue> updated 2796
[15:54] <tdonohue> I'm hoping someone can draft up a recipe for PR rebasing...I'd be glad to review it
[15:54] <hpottinger> terry-b: all those commits in your branch "got there somehow" it's likely you pulled them in. You have to be on the master branch before you pull from upstream master
[15:55] <hpottinger> the thing you have to remember is: Git is a distributed VCS, it's up to you to keep your copy of the repostiory current
[15:55] <terry-b> hpottinger, that is what I thought I did. I will try to clean these up after the meeting.
[15:56] <hpottinger> here's what I do: https://gist.github.com/hardyoyo/8738b9fcad5f2a682796baf375393326
[15:56] <terry-b> A simple rebase recipe on the wiki would be appreciated.
[15:56] <kompewter> [ How to keep a git branch up to date with an upstream master branch. · GitHub ] - https://gist.github.com/hardyoyo/8738b9fcad5f2a682796baf375393326
[15:57] <tdonohue> My general rebase process is simply.... 1) git remote update, 2) git checkout master, 3) git merge upstream/master, 4) git checkout [pr-branch], 5) git rebase master, 6) git push origin [pr-branch] (and optionally also master)
[15:57] <tdonohue> It's mostly the same as hpottingers...except I tend to use "git remote update" (to update existing branches) as I remember that better than "git fetch --all" (but it does essentially the same thing)
[15:58] <hpottinger> I like fetch --all because it transparent: I'm *fetching*
[15:59] <terry-b> Thanks tdonohu and hpottinger, I will try both and add to the wiki based on the results
[15:59] <tdonohue> we're about out of time here... unfortunately I won't be able to stick around for the next hour...but, if you all want/are able, you are more than welcome to continue chipping away at the backlog
[16:00] <tdonohue> I got some other stuff to jump to though, so I'll be heading into lurking now
[16:00] <hpottinger> FYI, Code4Lib registration opens in about an hour
[16:00] <tdonohue> As mentioned, next two DevMtgs will be: Next week (Dec 21 @ 20UTC) and after new years (Jan 4 @ 20UTC). Then we return to our regular schedules
[16:00] <terry-b> tdonohue, thanks for the tips on some possible REST tasks. I hope to dig in a bit before the holiday break starts
[16:01] <tdonohue> terry-b: no problem. Yes, definitely chip in on REST stuff whereever you can. I get the sense that Andrea B (who is leading that effort) is a bit bogged down over the holidays. So, not sure much will be accomplished unless others step in in the next few weeks
[16:02] <terry-b> mhwood, I remember you are interested in REST. Who else was on the list of folks who might want to work on REST?
[16:03] <mhwood> I don't recall, sorry.
[16:03] <mhwood> I need to get up to speed on decisions already made.
[16:04] <tdonohue> I don't recall either. I'd recommend emailing that list if you want to chat with others (or get feedback) on ideas around REST. There haven't been many decisions made final..it's very early work thus far, and latest is documented in meeting notes
[16:04] <tdonohue> Meeting notes are all here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[16:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 UI Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[16:05] <tdonohue> As noted (to terry-b via email), the REST work is mostly around (1) the "Contract" documentation (extremely rough needs lots of work/enhancement): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/REST+API+Contract
[16:05] <kompewter> [ REST API Contract - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/REST+API+Contract
[16:06] <tdonohue> and (2) the REST "mockup" begun in the codebase (and meant as a test of the Contract, and also very rough): https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/19
[16:06] <kompewter> [ Mock rest api by artlowel · Pull Request #19 · DSpace/dspace-angular · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/19
[16:07] <tdonohue> So, anyone wanting to run with either should do so...and if you are worried about overwriting anything on the Wiki, create a subpage for your notes and ask others to review it
[16:08] <tdonohue> (though I honestly suspect Andrea B would be ok with direct Wiki page edits too)
[16:08] <terry-b> I hope you all have a good week. Wish me luck rebasing!
[16:09] <tdonohue> Also should mention Art & Monika have started a list of Angular2 resources / guides / getting up to speed at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Technology+Stack (So that's another area folks could contribute to, especially as you learn more, etc)
[16:09] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 UI Technology Stack - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Technology+Stack
[16:09] <tdonohue> have a great week as well! Heading into lurking for real now!
[16:09] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[18:23] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-etsjhhjftkwbyxzb) has joined #duraspace
[22:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:24] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[22:40] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.