#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-01-25

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:12] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[6:16] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[6:27] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:27] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:27] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:27] -orwell.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:27] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:27] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:27] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:10] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:02] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:02] * kshepherd (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[14:10] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:10] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Changing host)
[14:10] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:16] * ntorres (c1895861@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:30] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:33] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * kshepherd (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[14:48] * kim__ (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * kim__ is now known as kshepherd
[14:57] <tdonohue> Hi all, reminder that we have a DSpace DevMtg at the top of the hour. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-01-25
[14:57] * kshepherd (~kim@ Quit (Quit: leaving)
[14:57] * kshepherd (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[15:01] * jcreel (~jcreel@jcreel.tamu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:01] * terry-b (~chrome@97-113-118-39.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome. It's DSpace DevMtg time. Here's our agenda for today: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-01-25
[15:02] <tdonohue> as usual, pinging Committers to wake folks up (helix84, kshepherd, mhwood, terry-b)
[15:02] <mhwood> Hi
[15:02] <terry-b> hello
[15:02] <kshepherd> hi all
[15:03] <tdonohue> So, first just a few brief reminders... the next DSpace 7 UI mtg is tomorrow morning (starting at this same time, 15UTC). We had a recent call for participation if more folks want to get involved: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-community/Wy2HPOjAKGw/3XDD85wUBQAJ
[15:03] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[15:04] <tdonohue> We really could use more volunteer developers (as it'll make the work go faster). So, if you are interested or know someone who may be, please get in touch! (Oh, and obviously, anyone is welcome, new developers as well!)
[15:05] <tdonohue> Also, we've soft-launched a new DSpace Slack community (still pretty quiet/small so far). But, if you want to join us there, request an invite at https://goo.gl/forms/s70dh26zY2cSqn2K3
[15:05] <tdonohue> I think that's it for the announcements for today
[15:05] * tdonohue just realized we don't have our kompewter bot in here today
[15:06] <tdonohue> O
[15:06] <tdonohue> I'll go start it back up
[15:06] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:06] <tdonohue> there we go
[15:07] <tdonohue> Ok, as for agenda items...we still have a number of high priority tickets (for 6.1 or 7.0) needing help (see agenda for the full list). But, I know terry-b also added a topic to look at Solr Stats import/export issues..
[15:08] <tdonohue> So, I'd like to start with terry-b's discussion topic today (#2 on the agenda): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Statistics+Import+Export+Issues
[15:08] <kompewter> [ Log In - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Statistics+Import+Export+Issues
[15:08] <terry-b> Thanks. Investigating one issue has revealed a handful of other issues that make the stats records difficult to test
[15:08] <tdonohue> Does everyone have access to this wiki page? (I find it odd that kompewter called it "Log In")
[15:09] <mhwood> I see it.
[15:09] <kshepherd> i don't have much sharding experience but i'll try to reproduce/tinker
[15:09] <terry-b> I can see it (obviously)
[15:09] <tdonohue> Oh, it looks like Terry's home area in the wiki just requires a wiki acct. Terry, do you mind if I make this publicly readable (no login required)?
[15:09] <terry-b> Sure
[15:10] <tdonohue> done. let's try this again: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Statistics+Import+Export+Issues
[15:10] <kompewter> [ Statistics Import Export Issues - Terry Brady - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Statistics+Import+Export+Issues
[15:10] <tdonohue> there we go. Sorry for the sidetrack. Go ahead, terry-b
[15:10] <terry-b> The page says "No Restrictions"
[15:10] <terry-b> I can move it after the meeting
[15:11] <tdonohue> terry-b: the access restrictions were on your ~terrywbrady "area" of the wiki.
[15:11] <terry-b> I have a 5x and a 6x PR to add some options to the command line tools.
[15:11] <terry-b> These make it easier to create shard-able data.
[15:12] <terry-b> The big issue is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3457
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3457 ] - [DS-3457] Tomcat Restart Hangs after Sharding DSpace 6x Statistics - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:12] <kompewter> [ [DS-3457] Tomcat Restart Hangs after Sharding DSpace 6x Statistics - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3457
[15:13] <terry-b> In the ticket, I highlighted some Solr code that causes tomcat to go unresponsive in 6x. Very similar code is in 5x where all is fine.
[15:13] <terry-b> I would like to know who might have some experience with the class used in the following function: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1305
[15:13] <kompewter> [ DSpace/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1305
[15:14] <terry-b> I cannot find much documentation online about how to make use of this class
[15:15] <tdonohue> It looks like GitHub Blame doesn't show much activity in that area of the codebase for 4 years: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blame/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1305
[15:15] <kompewter> [ DSpace/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blame/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1305
[15:15] <tdonohue> Last significant activity seems to be from KevinVDV / Atmire folks when Solr stats were created
[15:16] <mhwood> Oh good: "This class is experimental and subject to change."
[15:17] <terry-b> I can try to ping Kevin to see if he can offer any advice.
[15:17] <tdonohue> So, my guess here is that we need to talk to Atmire and/or re-learn this. It doesn't seem to be touched in a while :(
[15:18] <terry-b> Until we fix this, any 6x instance that decides to shard (or upgrades a sharded stats repo) will not be able to run.
[15:18] <terry-b> kshepherd, I saw you volunteer earlier. Are you up for testing the PRs that are ready? I think they will be helpful to get merged
[15:19] <kshepherd> is it possible that there are too many assumptions in the setDataDir call on L1303?
[15:19] <kshepherd> yep i can do PR testing over next couple of days
[15:19] <terry-b> I have validated that all the parameter values are correct
[15:20] <terry-b> It is confusing that the instance dir is the "statisitics" folder since it has the config info for the shards
[15:20] <hpottinger> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blame/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1303
[15:20] <kompewter> [ DSpace/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blame/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1303
[15:20] <terry-b> I do not understand why multiple HttpSolrServer classes are created, but they seem to be needed.
[15:21] <terry-b> kshepherd, thanks for testing. Hopefully the wiki page will point out the main test cases to look at
[15:22] <tdonohue> There are a lot of assumptions about directory paths built into that method, and zero comments/explanation. As we work to resolve this, please please please, someone add some comments in here!
[15:22] <terry-b> Ultimately, I want us to be able to incorporate Tom Desair's fix for the owningComm field and to be able to give a user the ability to repair a shard with that field corrupted
[15:23] <terry-b> Thanks for giving this some time for discussion!
[15:23] <tdonohue> Yes, I think this is important...and I agree with you that this looks like a Blocker issue.
[15:24] <tdonohue> It sounds like we need more testers and more eyes...and *eventually* someone to dig in deeper and figure out what is going on.
[15:24] <mhwood> *sigh* I wonder if there is a way to get 'mvn compile' to fail if there is a class anywhere that has neither comments nor @Override.
[15:25] <hpottinger> I can test, too, terry-b and kshepherd, ping me if you need the help.
[15:25] <hpottinger> mhwood: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blame/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1239
[15:25] <tdonohue> mhwood: Java 8 + doclint catches a lot of stuff...but I think it ignores issues where a class has zero comments (at least by default). I'm betting there are more of these in our codebase
[15:25] <kompewter> [ DSpace/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blame/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/SolrLoggerServiceImpl.java#L1239
[15:26] <terry-b> hpottinger, thanks. Give the 2 pull requests a test 1623/1624
[15:26] <tdonohue> DSPR#1623 / DSPR#1624
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1623 ] - [DS-3456] 5x Clarify command line options for statisics import/export tools by terrywbrady
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1624 ] - [DS-3456] 6x Fix Command Line Parameters for statistics import/export tools by terrywbrady
[15:27] <hpottinger> on my list
[15:28] <tdonohue> Thanks all. I will also remind folks that we have a Slack that this sorta thing can be discussed on (as you dig in). I mean IRC is fine too, but you cannot jump on IRC after the fact and catch up on discussion (whereas you can on Slack) ;)
[15:29] <terry-b> Do we have any plans to link these meeting conversations into the slack channels?
[15:29] <tdonohue> In any case, sounds like we have a few steps to move forward here. Thanks all
[15:29] <terry-b> I am liking Slack so far!
[15:30] <tdonohue> terry-b: these meeting conversations are logged at http://irclogs.duraspace.org/ So, you could link those in. #dspace is not logged at all though, so it's all ephemeral
[15:30] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/
[15:30] <tdonohue> And if we end up liking Slack more, there are IRC -> Slack plugins (where a slack channel can "track" an IRC channel). But, I haven't figured out how to set that up yet
[15:31] <terry-b> That sounds good. Thanks
[15:31] <tdonohue> In any case, thanks all for moving this along
[15:32] <tdonohue> Back to our agenda then: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-01-25
[15:32] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-01-25 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-01-25
[15:33] <tdonohue> We currently have 17 tickets flagged as "High Priority" (for either 6.1 or 7.0 though). I'm not sure we need to dig into all of these, but I do want to call out some of them (especially those important for 6.1)
[15:33] <tdonohue> We still need a Committer(s) to look closer at DS-3431
[15:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3431 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:34] <tdonohue> volunteers welcome, please get in touch or claim the ticket
[15:35] <tdonohue> Another... DS-3446 / DSPR#1611 just needs a secondary review/test. It's nearly ready to fix/merge
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3446 ] - [DS-3446] Non-admin submitter cannot remove uploaded bistreams during the submission - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1611 ] - DS-3446: On bitstream delete, remove policies only after the bitstream has been updated by tomdesair ¡ Pull Request #1611 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:36] <tdonohue> if someone can help move that along, I think the fix looks rather obvious to me
[15:37] <kshepherd> is DS-2687 closer to a solution?
[15:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2687 ] - [DS-2687] When deleting a collection role the group is also deleted, which is not appropriate for non-system-created groups - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:38] <tdonohue> kshepherd: that ticket is back in needs volunteer status
[15:38] <hpottinger> kshepherd: there are notes on it, and it's labeled as "low hangingg fruit" it just needs a hero
[15:38] <tdonohue> kshepherd, there are comments in that ticket that suggest possible solutions, but I think it's now stalled until it has a new volunteer
[15:39] <tdonohue> mhwood, it looks like you still have a few oracle issues assigned... DS-3410 and DS-3409 (both just need testing of other's PRs it seems). Are you still working on testing these, or need help/support?
[15:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3410 ] - [DS-3410] Indexes are lost at oracle - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3409 ] - [DS-3409] Handle of collections and communities are lost during migration using oracle - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:40] <mhwood> I need to do the work. I got started on one the other day and then was interrupted.
[15:40] <tdonohue> mhwood: no problem, just wanted to check in, especially since 3409 is flagged as a blocker
[15:41] <tdonohue> If anyone is looking for another possible "low hanging" ticket... DS-3406 needs a volunteer. My gut says we might just need a sort by added to the new query
[15:41] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3406 ] - [DS-3406] Sub-communities and collections not sorted alphabetically - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:42] <tdonohue> And we are still looking for someone to be the hero for ES Stats: DS-3285
[15:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3285 ] - [DS-3285] Build ability to export Elasticsearch Usage Stats to intermediate format - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:43] <tdonohue> whoops, I meant DS-3287...but 3285 is also ES Stats I guess
[15:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch fails (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:44] <tdonohue> huh...I'm realizing DS-3108 is fixed on dspace-6_x branch..but never got cherry-picked or merged over to master
[15:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3108 ] - [DS-3108] Support Shibboleth Authentication in the REST API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:46] <tdonohue> oh, it looks like there's a PR for master (DSPR#1598) which is just slightly different from the merged one (DSPR#1610).
[15:46] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1598 ] - DS-3108 support non email based authentication in rest api by tomdesair
[15:47] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1610 ] - DS-3108 DSpace 6x: Support non-email based authentication in REST API by tomdesair
[15:47] <tdonohue> 1598 renames the login credentials to be "user" instead of "email" for REST API. That seems OK, but not sure if we want to treat that as a separate change (i.e. PR) here
[15:49] <tdonohue> Seems like maybe we should just front-port 1610 to "master"...and let the REST team decide anything else
[15:49] <tdonohue> thoughts? Anyone interested in doing that quickly (and I'll merge)?
[15:50] <mhwood> Seems reasonable. I'd like to see us separate the username and email concepts someday, but that's a larger project.
[15:50] <hpottinger> you can't push to master, so it'll have to be a PR
[15:51] <terry-b> It feels like we have a lot of 6x stability work to do that will need to catch up to master...
[15:52] <terry-b> Is this typical after every major release? What features are currently present in master that are not on the 6x branch?
[15:53] <tdonohue> I can change the branch protection settings for "master" if we want to be able to cherry-pick again. I didn't realize I turned that off, TBH
[15:53] <tdonohue> terry-b: this is typical after every major release. We have to work on two branches for a while
[15:54] <mhwood> Well, it's okay for *features* in master to be missing from branches.
[15:55] <tdonohue> Ok, I've updated the rules for "master" to let Administrators merge without PRs / travis checks. I think that should allow for cherry-picking again
[15:55] <terry-b> It is tricky to make sure everything is represented on both branches. Good to know this is not unusual.
[15:56] <terry-b> I am heading to another meeting. Good to chat with you all.
[15:56] <kshepherd> seeya terry-b
[15:56] <tdonohue> yes, it isn't unusual...but it is only for bug fixes. Early on, after a major release, we have a lot of bug fixes (so a lot of work on two branches)...eventually it calms down though
[15:57] <tdonohue> So, if someone is willing, I think DSPR#1610 should be cherry-pick-able to master (and then we can close the other PR + close DS-3108 as fixed)
[15:57] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3108 ] - [DS-3108] Support Shibboleth Authentication in the REST API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:57] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1610 ] - DS-3108 DSpace 6x: Support non-email based authentication in REST API by tomdesair
[15:59] <tdonohue> ok, no volunteers...I'll close the other PR now then...and add a comment to 3108 that we are just waiting for 1610 to be cherry-picked before closing
[15:59] <kshepherd> sorry! i'm willing
[15:59] <tdonohue> ok, thanks kshepherd! Go for it then ;)
[16:00] <kshepherd> just will double check my tired fingers before pressing the button on master :P
[16:01] <kshepherd> to confirm, we want to cherry pick all 9 commits here on 6.x branch to master: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1610/commits
[16:01] <kompewter> [ DS-3108 DSpace 6x: Support non-email based authentication in REST API by tomdesair · Pull Request #1610 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1610/commits
[16:01] <hpottinger> pushing commits upstream!
[16:03] * kshepherd is fine with a new PR for master if that's tidier / better visibility
[16:07] <tdonohue> Ok, I'm getting distracted here..sorry (getting pinged on a separate Slack with internal questions). We are over time, and we probably should wrap things up for today ;)
[16:07] <hpottinger> kshepherd: dont' worry, keeping the same commit hash *is* tidy
[16:08] <tdonohue> So, we didn't make it through the entire list of High Priority stuff, but I'd recommend others reviewing it. Some of these are nearing completion (just need more testers)...and there's some low hanging fruit here too (as mentioned)
[16:08] <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=filter%3D13904++&src=confmacro
[16:08] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=filter%3D13904++&src=confmacro
[16:09] <kshepherd> hopefully i'll be around for the DSpace 7 meeting, if i can be awake at 4am again ;)
[16:09] <tdonohue> Beyond that, please also consider joining the DSpace 7 mtg tomorrow, especially if you are interested in REST API (Java) or Angular work! ;)
[16:09] <tdonohue> kshepherd: why ARE you up at 4am? ;)
[16:09] <kshepherd> i just never went to bed... it's 5.10am now ;)
[16:10] <tdonohue> wow...I guess that's one way to be "more productive". Cut out sleep
[16:12] <tdonohue> Ok, folks, we're done for today. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to lead JIRA Backlog for the next hour (though I suspect I can "lurk" if someone else can lead it)
[16:12] <tdonohue> In any case, let's move this over to #dspace
[16:13] <kshepherd> cheers all, i will lurk on #dspace for jira backlog but my todo list is probably big enough for next few days while i'm still on pseudo-break
[16:16] * ntorres (c1895861@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[19:09] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[22:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:08] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) Quit ()
[22:21] * terry-b (~chrome@97-113-118-39.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:45] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.