#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-02-01

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[3:43] * kshepherd (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:43] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:43] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:43] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:10] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[15:30] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:38] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) has joined #duraspace
[17:21] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[18:35] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:00] * terry-b (~chrome@97-113-118-39.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * tdonohue reminds everyone we have DevMtg in ~5mins. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-02-01
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome to our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-02-01
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-02-01 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-02-01
[20:00] <tdonohue> As usual, pinging Committers awake (helix84, hpottinger, mhwood, terry-b)
[20:01] <terry-b> here!
[20:01] <mhwood> PONG
[20:01] * kshepherd (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> hey look, kshepherd sighting ;)
[20:02] <kshepherd> hi all
[20:02] <tdonohue> Ok, so a few reminders... next DSpace 7 UI Meetings are a week from tomorrow (Feb 9). Meeting notes from the last meeting (and all previous ones) are linked off https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 UI Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[20:02] <tdonohue> I think everyone here already has done so, but join us on Slack too : https://goo.gl/forms/s70dh26zY2cSqn2K3
[20:02] <kompewter> [ Request invite to DSpace.org Slack ] - https://goo.gl/forms/s70dh26zY2cSqn2K3
[20:03] <kshepherd> are the dspace 7 meetings ever going to be in this 20:00 UTC time slot?
[20:03] <kshepherd> i'm keen to participate somehow but it's really hard for me to make that 1500 / 1600 UTC time
[20:03] <kshepherd> (there are probably ways i can still do things without attending meetings of course)
[20:04] <tdonohue> kshepherd: I think the difficulty there is our two subteam leads are both based in Europe (and it's a video call)... Andrea B & Art Lowell
[20:04] <tdonohue> We *are* wanting to find ways for people to contribute outside of mtgs...and we need to do more of that anyhow...been trying to get folks working more collaboratively via Slack
[20:05] <tdonohue> So, I'm really hoping the meetings are less "necessary", and we get more day-by-day updates/activities in Slack. But, it's not quite there yet
[20:06] <tdonohue> There are ways to contribute outside of meetings though...there's the ongoing REST API call for feedback, and a set of "ready" tickets for Angular UI work
[20:06] <tdonohue> Angular UI tickets are at: https://waffle.io/DSpace/dspace-angular
[20:06] <kompewter> [ Waffle.io · Work Better on GitHub Issues ] - https://waffle.io/DSpace/dspace-angular
[20:07] <tdonohue> The REST API discussions are in Slack (#rest-api) and at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dAPjq6xSy7A5Q_xXIxLXgJ2VqugFpxeSmMmvbr2mM5M/edit?usp=sharing (it's a bit doc though)
[20:07] <kompewter> [ REST Brainstorming - Google Docs ] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dAPjq6xSy7A5Q_xXIxLXgJ2VqugFpxeSmMmvbr2mM5M/edit?usp=sharing
[20:08] <tdonohue> So, I know that doesn't solve the mtg timing issue, but I would encourage folks to consider contributing between meetings. We'll never get anywhere quickly if we only contribute during meetings ;)
[20:08] <tdonohue> Any other questions on that effort that we want to talk through here today?
[20:08] <hpottinger> so... it's definitely at 15UTC?
[20:09] <kshepherd> ok. will try see what kind of communication i can get going. if they ever want to do europe mornings, times like 0900 UTC or 1000 UTC would work for me (but not for U.S. :/)
[20:10] <tdonohue> yes, definitely at 15 UTC for foreseeable future. If Andrea B & Art Lowel are to lead discussions there, I don't want to make them do so at 8pm at night
[20:10] <hpottinger> and do we have the venue sorted?
[20:10] <mhwood> 0400 local is a bit of a problem too, though.
[20:10] <kshepherd> mhwood: that's every second week for me :( and every dspace 7 meeting
[20:11] <tdonohue> So, timeline is limited by the fact that our volunteer team leaders are both based in Europe. So we have to make it at a time they can be involved. They initially set it up so that I can also be involved (hence a time that is USA / Europe friendly)
[20:11] <mhwood> That's what I meant.
[20:12] <tdonohue> That all said, kshepherd, if you want to email Art & Andrea & I, maybe we can work somethign out.
[20:12] <tdonohue> I wish we had a time that worked well for everyone...I just don't know that it'll be as possible with this DSpace 7 mtg
[20:13] <kshepherd> will see how slack goes in next couple of weeks. there's only one of me (not sure if Andrea S is planning on dspace 7 stuff?) so don't want to disrupt for everyone else
[20:14] <tdonohue> sorry. Honestly, I hate to have to force the point. But, I honestly feel we are much better off getting more activity on Slack *anyhow*. I'd rather the meetings be quick updates or bigger discussions...currently they are too "heavy"
[20:15] <tdonohue> If the meetings become "lighter", then they would be less dependent on Art & Andrea, and then we could even hold two update meetings (one at 15UTC and a later on at 20UTC)
[20:16] <tdonohue> So, I think we just need to bring this discussion up with Art & Andrea...and maybe try to push the point of collaborating more via Slack. If we start to work out the "kinks" maybe we can resolve this process for everyone
[20:16] <terry-b> I also think the REST team needs a chance to get some of its own momentum going since the angular team has had more time to get running.
[20:17] <tdonohue> terry-b++: REST is really just trying to get started
[20:17] <mhwood> Um. General updates can just be emailed. Specific issue updates probably ought to be communicated through the issue tracker. Meetings should be for rapid-fire interaction. But that means everybody is there to interact.
[20:17] <kshepherd> ok sounds good
[20:18] <tdonohue> mhwood: I agree with that. But, the interaction right now is highly dependent on Art & Andrea being there (as they are doing most of the heavy lifting). If we get more collaboration going, I think we'd be able to hold later meetings (20UTC-ish) that need not involve Art & Andrea, but allow others to interact and move things forward
[20:18] <mhwood> REST needs to decide on a framework. Then design and coding becomes possible.
[20:18] <tdonohue> +1
[20:19] <tdonohue> Ok, so, I think we've got a (general) plan here to find ways to get more collaboration going & to involve more folks (including separate meeting times)
[20:20] <tdonohue> Any other last thoughts here? or shall we move on to DSpace 6 high priorities, etc?
[20:21] <tdonohue> ok, moving along ;)
[20:21] <hpottinger> one question: have we decided on where the meeting will occur?
[20:22] <terry-b> hangouts was the decision at the end of the meeting
[20:22] <tdonohue> hpottinger: Google Hangouts still, until we start to break the boundaries of 15 folks (we got close once, but last week was only 10ish)
[20:22] <hpottinger> OK, works for me
[20:22] <tdonohue> If Google Hangouts doesn't work out, we'll move to voice only. But, for now, I prefer Hangouts as it has screen sharing, video, etc
[20:23] <tdonohue> Ok, on to 6.0 tickets. Our High Priority list is in the agenda. But here's the direct link: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=filter%3D13904++&src=confmacro
[20:23] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=filter%3D13904++&src=confmacro
[20:24] <tdonohue> I'd like to at least look at status of our 6.1 Blockers today (we have several of them open still)
[20:24] <tdonohue> I'll start with DS-3457 (which I know has been quite active with terry-b and kshepherd)
[20:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3457 ] - [DS-3457] Tomcat Restart Hangs after Sharding DSpace 6x Statistics - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:24] <terry-b> I think we have a good fix in place.
[20:25] <terry-b> The 6x service init process was attempting to use solr before solr was initialized
[20:25] <tdonohue> aha
[20:25] <terry-b> The code waits for the first request to query/post to solr and triggers the initialization of shards
[20:26] <terry-b> mhwood, kshepherd and Tom Desair all commented that this approach will likely be good for Solr 5 which will run outside of tomcat
[20:26] <terry-b> There are 3 pairs of PRs for 5x, 6x, and master.
[20:26] <tdonohue> So, this sounds like it's getting close to ready to merge
[20:26] <mhwood> Actually I commented that we may run into trouble all over again with Solr 5. But I should look at your code....
[20:26] <terry-b> One PR is for the import/export tools and the other is for the stats service
[20:27] <terry-b> mhwood, it had sounded like you were emphasizing the same point.... sorry to misunderstand
[20:27] <hpottinger> if this all passes tests, you all are trusted devs, and there are more than enough votes amoung you to get this merged :-)
[20:27] <tdonohue> mhwood: does that mean you'd volunteer to give this a second look? It sounds like we have it tested, but an additional set of eyes might be good here (and we need two +1s)
[20:28] <mhwood> I will look it over. I'm the last person you should ask about how to actually use Solr but I will look at the synchronization, which seems to be what this one is all about.
[20:28] <kshepherd> mhwood: i think it works fine with the solr 5 selfcontained webapp, since it's based on whether solr can be pinged, not whether dspace thinks it's been deployed
[20:29] <terry-b> kshepherd, thank you again for the detailed testing.
[20:29] <kshepherd> np
[20:29] <tdonohue> I'll give it a glance here too, but feel free to merge it as soon as it hits +2. It need not wait for my approval (and I have meetings most of today, so may not get to it till tomorrow)
[20:29] <mhwood> 3457 is on my todo list.
[20:29] <terry-b> I created the master PRs today once I saw that kshepherd had tested the 6x PRs
[20:30] <tdonohue> thanks for all the hard work here terry-b and kshepherd. Glad you were able to track it down, terry-b!
[20:30] <terry-b> mhwood, could you look at 3456 as well
[20:31] <mhwood> OK, I will.
[20:31] <tdonohue> going to move on to our next 6.1 blocker (we can loop back to other tickets later, time permitting)
[20:32] <tdonohue> next, I see DS-3431... which still needs a volunteer Committer (if anyone has interest/time)
[20:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3431 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:32] <tdonohue> Not much to say on that (here), but I'd like to find an interested person to move this along obviously (get in touch if interested)
[20:33] <tdonohue> next 6.1 blocker is DS-3409 (has PR, assigned to mhwood for review)
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3409 ] - [DS-3409] Handle of collections and communities are lost during migration using oracle - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:33] <tdonohue> (whoops, I skipped a blocker in that list...will do it after this one though)
[20:34] <tdonohue> any updates here mhwood, or are we still just waiting on testing of 3409's PR?
[20:34] <kshepherd> i have 3431 on my "see what i have time to do" list... the next 7 days won't give me a lot of dspace or dev time
[20:34] <mhwood> I've started testing 3409 today but have not finished yet -- got things mixed up and have to make another run at it.
[20:34] <tdonohue> thanks kshepherd
[20:35] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood. Sounds good
[20:35] <tdonohue> That's actually the full list of 6.1 Blockers (the other blocker in our list is for 7.0, I now realize)
[20:36] <tdonohue> Are there other tickets/PRs that folks want to discuss from this high priority list (or quick fixes not on this list)?
[20:37] <hpottinger> DSPR1636 is a tiny one, I plan to merge it if there are no objections and Travis gives me a green button to press
[20:37] <tdonohue> I will also note there's quite a few high priority tickets in the "volunteer needed" status (if anyone has time)...and some sitting in "Code review needed" that just need testers to help move forward
[20:37] <hpottinger> DSPR#1636
[20:37] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1636 ] - [DS-3475] added back assetstore.dir configuration to dspace.cfg by hardyoyo
[20:38] <kshepherd> just a reminder that there's a critical (not blocker) we mentioned last time at https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3446 with a pull request, reviewed, just needs another +1 i think?
[20:38] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3446 ] - [DS-3446] Non-admin submitter cannot remove uploaded bistreams during the submission - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:38] <kompewter> [ [DS-3446] Non-admin submitter cannot remove uploaded bistreams during the submission - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3446
[20:38] <kshepherd> DSPR#1611
[20:38] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1611 ] - DS-3446: On bitstream delete, remove policies only after the bitstream has been updated by tomdesair ¡ Pull Request #1611 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:39] <tdonohue> yes, 1611 looks rather obvious to me.
[20:39] <tdonohue> (and it was tested by another individual...not sure if we just merge this one soon...and cherry-pick over to "master" too)
[20:40] <hpottinger> I just gave 1611 a +1
[20:40] <kshepherd> yep I +1 it too
[20:40] <hpottinger> DSPR#1632 might need another set of eyes
[20:40] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1632 ] - [DS-3469] virus scan during submission attempts to read uploaded bitstream as anonymous user, which fails by mwoodiupui
[20:40] <mhwood> It would be good to have more eyes on DSPR#1632. There are tricky concurrency issues in there that were uncovered by the first fix, and Hibernate is another area where I need more experience.
[20:40] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1632 ] - [DS-3469] virus scan during submission attempts to read uploaded bitstream as anonymous user, which fails by mwoodiupui
[20:41] <hpottinger> lol, jinx
[20:41] <mhwood> :-)
[20:42] <kshepherd> tdonohue: i'll merge 1611 and cherrypick now if you like
[20:42] <tdonohue> kshepherd: yes, please. ;)
[20:42] * tdonohue is looking at 1632 now
[20:44] <tdonohue> mhwood, not sure I understand the problem you are pointing out here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1632/files#r98481148
[20:44] <kompewter> [ [DS-3469] virus scan during submission attempts to read uploaded bitstream as anonymous user, which fails by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #1632 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1632/files#r98481148
[20:45] <tdonohue> Is it "bad" for a Curator to be set to a given Context? Or is that actually appropriate (as a Curator is just running curation tasks as a user, right?)
[20:45] <mhwood> It may not be a problem now, but it is a surprise waiting to happen.
[20:45] <mhwood> I think it's unhygenic for a Curator to be left in a given context as a side effect.
[20:46] <mhwood> Probably the instance won't be kept long enough for this to matter.
[20:48] <tdonohue> If you think adding a "setContext()" helps clarify that side effect, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, maybe we add a comment in there about this possible side effect...especially since the side effect already exists elsewhere (as you noted)
[20:48] <tdonohue> I guess I don't have a strong opinion on the right solution, but we should note this side effect in a comment (at a minimum)
[20:48] <tdonohue> Beyond that, the rest of this code looks mostly like code cleanup (and looks good)
[20:48] <mhwood> I'll add a comment in both places where the side effect happens.
[20:48] <tdonohue> sounds good
[20:49] <tdonohue> I'll gladly give this another quick look once it's ready
[20:49] <tdonohue> Anything else folks want discussed today?
[20:49] <hpottinger> ditto
[20:50] * tdonohue realizes I have back-to-back meetings here. I'll have to leave right at the top of the hour
[20:50] <hpottinger> me, too
[20:50] <kshepherd> i still haven't finished getting 1610 commits into master
[20:51] <kshepherd> lots of annoying finnicky conflicts, that i will just have to do by hand i think, i'd been trying to think of a way to make it clean
[20:51] <tdonohue> yuck. Sorry about that kshepherd :(
[20:51] <kshepherd> it looks like they had conflicts fixed by hand at the time of merging to 6.x too, looking in git log
[20:51] <kshepherd> it'll happen, just a note it hasn't happened yet ;)
[20:52] <tdonohue> well, thanks for the update :)
[20:52] <kshepherd> btw, thinking about this since i've been using a trello board for things i volunteer to do... that waffle.io thing for dspace-angular looks interesting
[20:52] <kshepherd> it looks like this for DSpace core: https://waffle.io/DSpace/DSpace
[20:52] <kompewter> [ Waffle.io · Work Better on GitHub Issues ] - https://waffle.io/DSpace/DSpace
[20:52] <kshepherd> something we could use? or is there just too much stuff there / too distributed in terms of people doing tasks
[20:53] <hpottinger> anyone want to review DSPR#1636? Or shall I?
[20:53] <tdonohue> Yea, Waffle.io works off of GitHub *Issues / PRs*. Since DSpace/DSpace doesn't have Issues enabled (as we have JIRA) it only shows PRs
[20:53] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1636 ] - [DS-3475] added back assetstore.dir configuration to dspace.cfg by hardyoyo
[20:54] <tdonohue> hpottinger: my only comment on 1636 is whether we should consider adding to 6.1 too. I realize this is a config change, but it seems like a "bug" (in that we removed a config we shouldn't have)
[20:54] <tdonohue> beyond that, 1636 looks good
[20:54] <hpottinger> I plan to backport it
[20:54] <tdonohue> kshepherd: regarding Waffle.io. I *think* there's a JIRA plugin that does something similar. We could play around with that for DSpace main
[20:54] <kshepherd> hpottinger++
[20:55] <mhwood> At first glance, 1636 looks well.
[20:55] <kshepherd> tdonohue: fair enough, was just interested in it. trello works well for me anyway since it can integrate with a few things and i can use it for things other than strictly corresponding to a single jira or github ID
[20:56] <tdonohue> yes, just pointing out that we can try to find a way to do this with JIRA. I also find I like Waffle.io...but it's a bit more useful for prioritizing projects (with a definitive timeline/plan), and not as easy perhaps when it comes to massive issues backlogs (like out JIRA) ;)
[20:57] <hpottinger> well... apparently I cannot review my own changes :-)
[20:57] <tdonohue> So, for DSpace 7 Angular project, Waffle.io / GitHub issues are being used to plan out the project tasks...as those seem more appropriate than sticking it all into JIRA
[20:59] <tdonohue> In any case, this is all something we can keep in mind...there may be parts we can bring back to change our current tools/policies
[20:59] <tdonohue> I'm gonna have to run here now. So, I have to close out the meeting.
[21:00] <tdonohue> But, you all are welcome to stick around & chat, or move over to #dspace or Slack. I'll be lurking, but in a video meeting (so likely not lurking much)
[21:01] * terry-b (~chrome@97-113-118-39.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:04] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[21:04] * kshepherd needs coffee and food
[21:09] <kshepherd> tdonohue: i think the JIRA plugin is just called 'Agile' or something, i've seen it used for kanban-like setups in past teams
[21:11] <tdonohue> kshepherd: yes, I think we may have that installed. We have a "Boards" menu at the top: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa (so, maybe we try to simply add a new board for DSpace)
[21:11] <kompewter> [ System Dashboard - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
[22:14] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:47] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[22:58] * kshepherd (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[23:54] * kshepherd (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[23:59] * kshepherd (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.