#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-03-01

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:22] * cwtest (3230d787@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[0:23] <cwtest> test
[0:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <cwilper> test message, ignore
[0:26] * cwtest (3230d787@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Client Quit)
[6:52] -verne.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:52] -verne.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:52] -verne.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:52] -verne.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:52] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:52] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:52] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:19] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:49] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:47] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome to everyone attending this DevMtg via IRC *or* via Slack. Here's our meeting agenda for today: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-03-01
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-03-01 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-03-01
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: hpottinger waves from Slack land
[20:02] <tdonohue> Out of habit, I'm typing these words in IRC. But, as you can all see from hpottinger's message, Slack attendees can also take part
[20:03] * tdonohue notes the cool think is kompewter also now responds on both IRC and this Slack channel (just a tip) !
[20:03] <tdonohue> cool *thing* that is ;)
[20:04] <tdonohue> In any case...a few reminders. We have the next DSpace 7 UI Meeting *tomorrow* at 16:00 UTC via Slack text chat (in #angular-ui and #rest-api channels)
[20:05] <tdonohue> Also, alongside the new #dev-mtg channel in Slack, there's a new #irc Slack channel that syncs with #dspace IRC
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hello from Slack as well
[20:06] <tdonohue> Oh, and I forgot to mention... If you missed the DSpace 7 Webinar yesterday, the slides & video are now available off of http://duraspace.org/hot-topics (at the top of the page)
[20:06] <kompewter> [ DuraSpace | Open technologies for durable digital content ] - http://duraspace.org/hot-topics
[20:06] <tdonohue> That's it for general updates
[20:07] <tdonohue> So, for those who haven't joined us recently, the main topic of these meetings is working towards a 6.1 bug fix release for the 6.x platform. We've already got a number of fixes into our 6.x maintenance branch, but are waiting on a few higher priority tickets before we cut the release
[20:08] <tdonohue> Namely, we have this list of tickets at the top of our Agenda. The list there includes both 6.1 and 7.0 tickets though....here's the list filtered to 6.1 specific ones:
[20:08] <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%3D6.1%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[20:08] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%3D6.1%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[20:10] <tdonohue> Now that I look at what is left, it is questionable (to me) whether we wait for all of these (and one ticket just needs docs)
[20:11] <tdonohue> One to highlight here, we *are* looking for a volunteer to move forward DS-3287. If anyone is using ElasticSearch (or simply wants to help fix it to "work"), it currently won't even start up in 6.0 :(
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch fails (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <tdonohue> Also, DS-3406 has a seemingly "abandoned" PR (or at least it's been sitting a while in a broken state), so volunteers are welcome there as well
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3406 ] - [DS-3406] Sub-communities and collections not sorted alphabetically - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <tdonohue> Beyond that, I'm not sure any of the rest of these 6.1 high priority tickets have updates to share. Are there other tickets here we want to highlight for possible 6.1 inclusion (even if they may not be high priority)?
[20:14] <mhwood> I sloshed some code together for DS-1140 but it has not yet been run.
[20:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1140 ] - [DS-1140] Update MSWord Media Filter to use Apache POI (like PPT Filter) and also support .docx - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:14] <tdonohue> nice, mhwood!
[20:15] <th5> 2952 was our big priority. I believe that's already included.
[20:15] <tdonohue> This would be worth testing. Even though it's a new MediaFilter, we could include this in 6.1 as a sort of "bug fix" (around indexing docx files)
[20:16] <tdonohue> th5: correct, DS-2952 is already included in 6.1
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2952 ] - [DS-2952] SOLR: Full text indexing only includes the text on the last bitstream - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <mhwood> At the moment it sits alongside the old one, and you'd have to configure it in.
[20:17] <tdonohue> mhwood: right, I'd actually prefer that (for now). As it is newer, and we are sliding this into a bug fix release. So, it likely should be disabled by default until 7.0
[20:17] <mhwood> I *do* intend to test it, but I just put it together late yesterday....
[20:18] <tdonohue> sounds great. Let us know on the PR what you find (obviously)
[20:18] <mhwood> Will do.
[20:19] <tdonohue> So, our list of "must have" tickets is really shrinking on 6.1 (which is nice). I will also note here that I've recently been doing some PR backlog reviews (still haven't made my way through all of them).
[20:19] <tdonohue> But, I have find a large number of possible "quick win" PRs...which are tiny fixes, or relatively easy to test fixes
[20:19] <tdonohue> Not *all* of these may be appropriate for 6.1, but we should review what we have and see what *is*
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> since we're mostly done with the Jira backlog, let's make "backlog hour" about the PR backlog?
[20:20] <tdonohue> Here's that "quick win" list: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:20] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:20] <tdonohue> hpottinger: agreed. The weekly "Backlog Hour" should be for JIRA *or* PRs now ;)
[20:21] <tdonohue> Backlog Hour was just *prior* to this meeting...and today we got back up-to-date on our JIRA tickets (a few new ones this week), but didn't get beyond that (as I was very late to arrive)
[20:22] <tdonohue> So, did we want to spend some time *here* (in this meeting) looking at "quick win" PRs? Or did anyone else have topics / PRs / tickets that you'd like us to highlight/discuss today?
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> DS-3389 I haven't had any time for this, and it seems important-ish
[20:23] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:24] <tdonohue> yes, 3389 is important (for those who use Replication Task Suite and/or DuraCloud + DSpace). Though, to be clear, it's not technically a blocker for 6.1...as the Replication Task Suite is a separately versioned add-on (that could be re-released at any time)
[20:25] <tdonohue> But, it *is* worth highlighting that it currently *doesn't work at all* with 6.x. That needs fixing
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> anybody here impacted by this?
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We do not use it
[20:26] <th5> Not here
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Looking at the wiki page, it seems like there is some interesting functionality but we have no plan to use it
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> are we all just backing up our assetstores and databases?
[20:26] <mhwood> I think I would like to be impacted by it, but we are not using it yet.
[20:26] <tdonohue> We are dependent on RTS for DSpaceDirect. But that said, we are not planning to upgrade customers to 6.0 anytime soon
[20:27] <tdonohue> (Once it becomes a priority for DSpaceDirect to upgrade to 6.0 though, then this will become a priority for us)
[20:27] <mhwood> I have a funky script that I wrote around SyncTool back in the 1.x days. It's rickety and I'd like to find something better.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We run backups and we send content to APTrust for preservation. We wrote our own workflow... although Tim suggested that replication suite could have helped us with that process
[20:28] <tdonohue> mhwood: RTS works quite well, actually (and likely is less rickety). I'd recommend it.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> https://hdl.handle.net/10355/48435
[20:28] <kompewter> [ Digital preservation the hard way ] - https://hdl.handle.net/10355/48435
[20:29] <tdonohue> My suspicion here is that the RTS tool doesn't need "much" to update it to 6.x. It's mostly about updating the code based on the 6.x API. And there's not a lot of places it actually "touches" DSpace...so, I suspect it's a matter of simply getting it to "compile" with DSpace 6
[20:30] <tdonohue> That all said, I realize that's still "effort". Just noting that I suspect the effort here is small, once someone finds time to put in the effort
[20:30] <tdonohue> So, my recommendation is we keep this on our "High Priority" list (as a constant reminder)...and hopefully it becomes a priority for someone soon
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I just bumped up some versions in this branch: https://github.com/hardyoyo/dspace-replicate/tree/DS-3389-refactor-for-dspace-6
[20:31] <kompewter> [ GitHub - hardyoyo/dspace-replicate at DS-3389-refactor-for-dspace-6 ] - https://github.com/hardyoyo/dspace-replicate/tree/DS-3389-refactor-for-dspace-6
[20:31] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> it obviously doesn't work yet, but running mvn test does show where all the broken bits are
[20:32] <tdonohue> good to know. thanks, hpottinger
[20:32] <mhwood> Noted.
[20:32] <tdonohue> OK, so any other tickets / topics to bring up here for discussion? (If not, we could do some "quick win" PR reviews here)
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> nothing else from me
[20:33] * tdonohue also would love feedback on the Slack / IRC cross chat thing here too ;) Hopefully this is useful to keep everyone happy in their tool of choice
[20:33] <tdonohue> (Next week I may even try running this meeting from Slack)
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I'm happy to be in Slack. I had to step away and it was nice to be able to track the conversation on mobile
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> feedback: the IRC integration-provided avatars are hilarious
[20:34] <tdonohue> agreed, hpottinger ;)
[20:35] <tdonohue> Ok. so not hearing other topics here. Let's look at some of our "quick win" PRs to see if we can move them along rapidly
[20:35] <tdonohue> Here's that list again: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:35] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:35] <tdonohue> top one on that list is the one mhwood already mentioned (so I'm skipping it)
[20:35] <tdonohue> next there is DSPR#1660
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1660 ] - [DS-3283] 6x Mirage2: Edit Collection Source - No Field Label for Set Id by terrywbrady
[20:36] <tdonohue> this one I had reviewed (in a previous iteration). It looks tiny/obvious to me, terrywbrady
[20:37] <tdonohue> What do others think? Is this a "just merge it"?
[20:37] <mhwood> This is just unwrapping the label, essentially. Apparently that is what was needed. Go for it.
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <cwilper> Hey all, regarding RTS, that's actually a priority for one of our clients, so we've got a port to 6.0 underway right now. Should see a PR coming shortly, I'll add a comment to DS-3389
[20:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:39] <tdonohue> cwilper: awesome! Thanks!
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> woohoo! thanks @cwilper!
[20:40] <mhwood> Yay!
[20:40] <tdonohue> terrywbrady, I've approved 1660. Looks good.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> thanks @tdonohue !
[20:41] <tdonohue> ok, next "quick win" PR... DSPR#1658
[20:41] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1658 ] - DS-3365 - Duplicated metadata in solr search index by arvoConsultores
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> terrywbrady: you want to merge 1660?
[20:42] * tdonohue says someone should merge 1660. Go for it. It doesn't need cherry-picking anywhere else, since it's XMLUI
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> done
[20:43] <tdonohue> 1658 looks rather tiny. I admit though I haven't tested this in any way
[20:44] <mhwood> It's clearly harmless but I haven't tested it either.
[20:44] <tdonohue> It seems like an obvious solution to the problem stated in DS-3365 though.
[20:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3365 ] - [DS-3365] Duplicated metadata in solr search index - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> If you would like a tester, I can take this one to test
[20:45] <tdonohue> I wouldn't mind a quick test (to ensure there isn't some purpose to the duplicated content in Solr). I think this also looks harmless though
[20:46] <tdonohue> So, terrywbrady, if you are willing, please give it a quick test. I'll give it a +1 via code review. If the test looks good, merge it
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I assigned myself as a reviewer and I will look at it. I am curious if this is something I have not noticed in my solr instance
[20:47] <tdonohue> thanks!
[20:48] <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#1654
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1654 ] - [DS-2789] 6x Display a &quot;restricted image&quot; for a thumbnail if the bitstream is restricted by terrywbrady
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We have lived with this for a while, but it has always bugged me
[20:48] <tdonohue> I like the idea behind this fix (again thanks, terrywbrady)
[20:49] <tdonohue> The code looks right to me (at a glance) too
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I am sure there would be a nicer way to handle this graphically, but this seemed simple to provide
[20:51] <tdonohue> What do others think here? The code is a bit longer, but it's essentially just wrapping the existing logic in an if/else (choose when/otherwise in XSLT terms)
[20:51] <mhwood> Makes sense to me.
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> seems like a good place to start
[20:52] <tdonohue> I'd say if you've tested this terrywbrady, then we might as well merge it. Seems correct to me, and I don't have any concerns
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Should I merge it, or would someone else like to hit the button?
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> push the button!
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Done. Thanks. I need to jump on to another call.
[20:54] <tdonohue> was gonna say I can merge it, but you beat me too it. looks good
[20:54] <tdonohue> thanks again terrywbrady!
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It will be good to see a few of you at code4lib next week!
[20:55] <tdonohue> Last one for today (as we are nearing the end of the meeting here)
[20:55] <tdonohue> DSPR#1652
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1652 ] - [DS-3282] 6x Fix js error for filters with dashes by terrywbrady ¡ Pull Request #1652 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:55] <tdonohue> This one I've already approved.
[20:56] <tdonohue> So, if someone else wants to take a look, I think this is also mergeable
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> 1652 is at +2
[20:57] <mhwood> It's putting brackets around @returnValue and otherwise just wrapping the code to make it readable.
[20:58] <tdonohue> Correct
[20:59] <tdonohue> I see hpottinger already added a +1 here too... and terrywbrady noted (in a comment) that he's tested this in 6.x
[20:59] <tdonohue> So, I'll go ahead and merge it too
[20:59] <tdonohue> done
[21:00] <tdonohue> Since we at the end of our time, I'd just like to also recommend others take a look at "quick win" PRs whenever you have the chance (and approve or comment on them). We can also start to review these in Backlog Hour (or these meetings) in coming weeks.
[21:00] <tdonohue> And for those who will be at code4lib next week, have a great time! (I wish I could join you!)
[21:01] <tdonohue> For everyone else, we'll see you next week, or Tomorrow @ 16:00 UTC for the DSpace 7 Meeting ;)
[21:02] <th5> Thanks Tim
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> re: Code4Lib, terrywbrady and I will be there, we'll probably request a Birds of a Feather session on Thursday, so, if you'll be there, plan on hanging out with us
[21:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Also, Monday March 6, around 4pm there'll be an open house at Young Research Library, I have volunteered to do "something DSpace-ish" for that, it'll probably turn into a live demo of Vagrant-DSpace
[21:07] <th5> Good to know. May be good to add it to the event page https://www.library.ucla.edu/events/code4lib-open-house
[21:07] <kompewter> [ Code4Lib Open House | UCLA Library Events ] - https://www.library.ucla.edu/events/code4lib-open-house
[21:08] <th5> Ah, it already is there, my mistake
[22:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:20] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) Quit ()
[22:55] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.