#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-03-08

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:46] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:46] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:46] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:46] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:46] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:46] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:46] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:34] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:21] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:45] * PhilipV (~philip@ has joined #duraspace
[14:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: REMINDER: The DSpace Developers Meeting starts at the top of the hour (here or in #duraspace IRC). https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-03-08
[14:54] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-03-08 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-03-08
[14:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: hpottinger waves from Slack
[14:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : welcome from sunny code4lib. I hope the conference is going well ;)
[14:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> it *is* It’s very introspective
[14:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I keep finding myself admitting, oh, yes, I’ve forgotten, I *need* to do that
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> very good. It's been a while since I've been able to attend a code4lib. I'll have to find my way back there some year soon
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> +1
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Ok, it's the top of the hour folks. That means it's DevMtg time: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-03-08
[15:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-03-08 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-03-08
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This week, I'm going to try running this meeting from Slack (if you haven't noticed). Just trying to get the hang of this whole "synced" Slack/IRC thing we have going here.
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As noted above, I realize this week is also the code4lib conference. So, I know at least a few DSpacers won't be here today since they are conferencing...but @hpottinger wins the award for multitasking today
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I’m still on Missouri time
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> First off, the usual reminder that our next DSpace 7 UI meeting is *tomorrow* at 16UTC (one hour later than this meeting) in Google Hangouts. See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[15:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 UI Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> A reminder will be emailed to -devel mailing list later today as well
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The main topic, as in recent weeks is 6.1 status...and getting us closer to that bug-fix release
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Our list of 6.1 high priority tickets is shrinking....and there are a few that may simply need rescheduling for a 6.2 release (unfortunately)
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Here's that 6.1 high priority list: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%3D6.1%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:06] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%3D6.1%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In the last week (or so), at least two of this tickets progressed into "Code Review Needed" status (which is great progress).
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Namely, DS-1140 and DS-3389
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1140 ] - [DS-1140] Update MSWord Media Filter to use Apache POI (like PPT Filter) and also support .docx - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3389 ] - [DS-3389] Replication Task Suite add-on doesn&#39;t work with DSpace 6 API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I’d like to find time to test the PR for 3389
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : I was just going to ask you that. I've given 3389's PR a code review. It looks good code-wise. But, I haven't had a chance to run tests myself
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> @tdonohue I think @cwilper asked specifically for a test on DuraCloud stuff, can you help with that?
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-replicate/pull/19 is the PR in question
[15:09] <kompewter> [ DS-3389 Port RTS to DSpace 6 by KingKrimmson · Pull Request #19 · DSpace/dspace-replicate · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-replicate/pull/19
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I should be able to find an hour to test the DuraCloud connections. Maybe on Friday
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we have next steps on 3389.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I know mhwood is also looking for testers/feedback on his PR for DS-1140 / DSPR#1663
[15:11] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1663 ] - [DS-1140] Update MSWord Media Filter to use Apache POI (like PPT Filter) and also support .docx by mwoodiupui
[15:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1140 ] - [DS-1140] Update MSWord Media Filter to use Apache POI (like PPT Filter) and also support .docx - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:11] <mhwood> Yes please.
[15:12] <mhwood> I've assumed that we want to leave the old filter available for now and remove it later.
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll give that PR a code review...It would be nice to find a tester too. In this situation, I do like that it's a *new* media filter and disabled by default. *And* it comes with Unit Tests (kudos to mhwood!)
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, I think we schedule the old filter to be removed in 7.0....once we are sure this new one is a full, better replacement (which it seems like it should be)
[15:14] <mhwood> OK, I'll try to remember to file an issue to remove the old one when that determination is made.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Any tester volunteers here (in IRC or Slack) on PR 1663?
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I can add it to my list
[15:15] <mhwood> Anybody got .docx bitstreams that they've been keen to extract and index?
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks hpottinger! Yes, I'd also hope this would be of high interest to others wanting to index .docx files ;)
[15:16] <mhwood> Thanks!
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> considering that’s the default format for MS Word nowadays, it ought to be easy enough to find a test subject
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> +1
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> OK, so there's a few other 6.1 high priority tickets that I'd like to followup on here
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> we ought to be fighting off volunteers to test this one :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DS-3406 (which seems like less than ideal behavior, and has a "stalled" DSPR#1638)
[15:18] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3406 ] - [DS-3406] Sub-communities and collections not sorted alphabetically - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:18] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1638 ] - [DS-3406] add collection and subcommunity sorting by name comparator to Community getters by kshepherd
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In kshepherd's PR, he seems to imply his direction needs rethinking...So, I'm not sure if this ticket is even really "claimed". It may need to be reverted back to "needs volunteer" status
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I pinged kshepherd about this two weeks back and haven't heard yet)
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'm wondering if there's anyone else here who'd be interested in investigating this issue (and perhaps creating a new PR if you find the fix)?
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> might ping @tom_desair from Atmire, since he commented on the PR
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, welcome @tom_desair. We were just talking about ticket 3406 / PR 1638... see links above ;)
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you have other ideas or time to describe a better solution, I'd like to get this fixed in 6.1 (i.e. soonish). Since we are putting you on the spot though, I won't expect you to respond immediately
[15:23] <mhwood> Aside: one feature of the Slack/IRC link is that we IRC folk no longer see everyone who is present.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In the meantime, I'm going to close kshepherd's PR (for lack of activity/response). And revert 3406 to "needs volunteer". It doesn't seem like kshepherd is actively working on this
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> that’s as good as a ping :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> just did both
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> mhwood: regarding your aside..I agree, it's a bit off-putting to not know exactly who is "here" (unless you are logged into *both* IRC and Slack, which I currently am).
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, I like that Slack shows me who is active/inactive (in IRC you aren't really sure if someone is "there" until they type something)
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok, back to 6.1 high priority tickets ;)
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The other ticket to remind folks of is DS-3287 (needs a volunteer).
[15:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch fails (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If anyone is using ElasticSearch statistics, we need some help updating its code for the new 6.0 API. I'm hoping it wouldn't be *hard*, but it could use some test data to ensure everything is working correctly (so, it'd be good to find someone who uses ES stats)
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you are interested, comment on the ticket, or ping me
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> On another topic... @tom_desair, a friendly reminder that it looks like we are waiting on documentation from you before we can close out your work on DS-3108 ;)
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> tdonohue: I’ll take a look at it.
[15:30] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3108 ] - [DS-3108] Support Shibboleth Authentication in the REST API - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <antoine> I thought elastic search statistics were deprecated in dspace 6
[15:31] <mhwood> Yes, but still supported.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @antoine : it was. But, we'd like to ensure it still "works" in DSpace 6. Currently, it doesn't even work in DSpace 6. So, the plan was to deprecate in DSpace 6 and remove in 7
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <antoine> ok
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks!
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> interesting...so, Slack <-> IRC syncing gets a little odd when someone does a "thread" in Slack. That last "Thanks!" was meant for @tom_desair who said he'd look into 3406
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Back to 6.1 tickets, we also do have DS-3447 that needs a volunteer. I'm not sure it's really "high priority" for 6.1 (could be rescheduled for 6.2 if needed), but it'd be nice to fix at some point for 6.x
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If it's of interest to anyone, again let us know!
[15:35] <mhwood> Yes, I wondered at the priority boost. We *do* need to get it fixed before the 1.0 drop-dead date, but that's a different dimension of urgency.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> agreed, mhwood. I suspect Bram mostly bumped it up so we don't forget about it (as the 1.0 drop-dead date is end of this year). I'm OK with it staying on this list, as long as we realize it isn't a "blocker" (we can release 6.1 without it)
[15:37] <mhwood> OK
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's it for the 6.1 tickets to discuss in this meeting....unless anyone here (in Slack or IRC) has tickets/PRs you'd like to highlight for attention today?
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Not hearing anything, so we'll move along to other topics
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looking back at our agenda... mostly this week we have our usual lists of things needing code review.
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, before we jump over into doing some code review of PRs / finding volunteers..... I'd like to ask one more time if anyone has other topics to bring up for discussion? If not, I'd suggest we look at "quick win" PRs to see if any are mergeable (or nearly there)
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, then let's go to the list of "quick win" PRs
[15:44] <mhwood> Aside from the POI-based Word filter, there's a recent port of rrodgers' Tika-based filtering curation tasks if anyone wants to look at it.
[15:44] <mhwood> Completely untested as yet.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> mhwood: do you have a link to that?
[15:44] <mhwood> Working...
[15:45] <mhwood> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3042 is the issue.
[15:45] <kompewter> [ [DS-3042] convert media filters to curation tasks - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3042
[15:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3042 ] - [DS-3042] convert media filters to curation tasks - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, I see...you have a branch, but no PR yet?
[15:46] <mhwood> https://github.com/mwoodiupui/DSpace/tree/DS-3042 is where the code is. Right -- no PR yet.
[15:46] <kompewter> [ GitHub - mwoodiupui/DSpace at DS-3042 ] - https://github.com/mwoodiupui/DSpace/tree/DS-3042
[15:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3042 ] - [DS-3042] convert media filters to curation tasks - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> press that button please, I want a PR :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, let's wait on a PR for this, as I think it'll be easier to look at / review / understand (in context of a PR). Thanks though for working to move this forward! Hopefully others here can jump in once the PR is ready
[15:47] <mhwood> I couldn't find a way to meld this code in using git, so I just checked out a copy and copied it over, adding notes everywhere about where I got it.
[15:48] <mhwood> OK, I'll do a PR soon.
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to move us back to the "quick win" PR listing. These tend to be smaller PRs which are more easily reviewable in a group.
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Here's that list: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[15:48] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[15:48] <mhwood> Yes, just wanted to mention in case folks are interested.
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> +1 mhwood
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we have 19 open "quick win" PRs here. I'm going to start at the top with a new one... DSPR#1670
[15:49] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1670 ] - [DS-3521] Bugfix browsing embargoed thumbnail by pbroman ¡ Pull Request #1670 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I reviewed this yesterday, and probably should have just merged it.
[15:50] <mhwood> 2 approvals, apparently tested by the submitter.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm pressing the button on this. (Note: we fixed a similar issue in XMLUI recently...this one is for JSPUI)
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I think we also need to fix that in XMLUI
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Ok never mind :)
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's fixed in XMLUI. DS-2789 was XMLUI...this one is JSPUI-only
[15:51] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2789 ] - [DS-2789] Display a &quot;restricted image&quot; for a thumbnail if the bitstream is restricted - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> great, thanks, tdonohue
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The fixes are slightly different...and both were broken in 6.0, but will be fixed in 6.1
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> merged it ;)
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> crossing that off my list
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next on that "quick win" list was the new media filter. We already talked about that though... we just are looking for a tester (or two) for DSPR#1663. Once tested that this indexes *.docx files, this can be merged
[15:53] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1663 ] - [DS-1140] Update MSWord Media Filter to use Apache POI (like PPT Filter) and also support .docx by mwoodiupui
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'm skipping that for now...but please volunteer if you want to help test it (@hpottinger already said he'd add to his list)
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#1622
[15:54] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1622 ] - [DS-2947] DIM crosswalks repeats authority &amp; confidence values in the metadata values by toniprieto ¡ Pull Request #1622 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tdonohue notes: whoops...I skipped one. We'll go back to it next
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 1622 : I gave this a code review. Looks reasonable. Haven't tested it though
[15:56] <mhwood> I understand what the patch does, but not why it works.
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Not sure if anyone here is willing to give this a (likely very quick) test run?
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I’m in the same boat as @mwood here, not sure how I’d even test it
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I can test that
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Well, you'd need to be using Authority control...and this patch fixes what seems to be an issue in the DIM format crosswalk for OAI-PMH. I admit, I haven't verified the issue though...so, maybe we should start there ;)
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> thanks @tom_desair...much appreciated
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We are now at the top of the hour...so, I'm not going to add anymore PRs to review here.
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Instead, thanks to everyone for attending today! Reminder, our next DSpace 7 UI meeting is tomorrow at 16UTC. A reminder will go to -devel mailing list later today
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I will check back in to IRC in a few minutes, and will pitch in with backlog hour, but I really ought to wander downstairs and get some breakfast and find a seat
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you have time today, you are also welcome to move over to irc channel / #dspace IRC (these sync as well) to do a few more "quick win" PR reviews during our "Backlog hour" immediately following this meeting.
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks all!
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Thx @tdonohue for organising the meeting
[17:01] * PhilipV (~philip@ has left #duraspace
[22:10] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:55] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.