#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-05-03

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:29] -adams.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:29] -adams.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:29] -adams.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:29] -adams.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:29] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:29] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:29] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:09] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:37] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[13:33] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[14:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here : Reminder that our DSpace Dev Mtg starts here shortly (~5mins) https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-05-03
[14:56] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-05-03 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-05-03
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: It's that time again. Our weekly DevMtg starts now. Agenda is linked above
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @tdonohue , I wll be on another call. I will join in when I can.
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks for letting us know, @terrywbrady
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, as usual, a friendly reminder we have our DSpace 7 UI Working Group meeting tomorrow @ 15UTC. It's in Google Hangouts this week. But, we'd encourage folks to attend to watch for the meeting notes post-mtg
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll maybe here, but just now a lot of things are going on parallel.
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Another quick note... I'm out of the office next week (at a DuraSpace staff meeting). So, I'll be on email, but will not be on Slack/IRC much from May 8-12.
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is there anyone here who'd be willing to organize/lead this DevMtg next week (May 10 @ 20UTC)? I'm looking for a volunteer, and you likely can steal today's agenda for next week
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll keep moving along with our agenda for now...but we'll loop back to this at the end. Hopefully we'll have a volunteer by then ;)
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, per our agenda, the concentration here is still on getting DSpace 6.1 out the door as soon as we can.
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Here's what's left in our High Priority tickets: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.1%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:06] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.1%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We are making some progress, which is good (at least one ticket closed in the last week), but there's still quite a few here to move forward rapidly (and at least a few seem "close" to ready)
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd like to concentrate the time today on the few here that seem rather close...the quicker we can narrow this list, the quicker we (hopefully) can finalize/finish up this release
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, let's start by looking at DS-3572 / DSPR#1715
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3572 ] - [DS-3572] AuthorizeService.authorize(..., EPerson, ...) checks context.currentEPerson instead of specified one - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1715 ] - DS-3572: Check authorization for a specified user instead of currentUser by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1715 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’m having issues with this PR.
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like this PR got flagged as a Work in Progress by @pbecker , and has code review comments by @tom_desair
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Not enough time, to much to do.
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I hope I get this moved forward until our next Dev meeting.
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is this something we could logically hand off to someone else (assuming we can find a volunteer here)? Or will you have time in the foreseeable future?
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> it's a dependency for another ticket
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I would be glad if someone chips in. If not, I’m trying my best.
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> it's on my list (as part of the other ticket)
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> great, thanks @hpottinger
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I know, @pbecker , you are working very hard helping us with 6.1...and thanks for that! Definitely not trying to put more pressure on you
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : Just to clarify, do you have time to help code/improve the PR? Or just to test it?
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: pbecker did not feel any pressure. :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Time, no. Desire, yes.
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> If I find time this week, I’ll connect with @pbecker on how I can contribute to his PR
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : Ok. So, that's a 1/2 of a volunteer ;) But, if you can get to it, great
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I *did* write up a summary on the other ticket
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : if you can help chip in, that'd be wonderful! Thanks as well for all the great PR work you've been doing for 6.1 in general
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll follow slack closely, just ping me, if you have time, or want to sync plans.
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> will do
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds like a plan. Thanks again to both of you
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, moving along... let's look at DS-3552 / DSPR#1694
[15:14] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1694 ] - Ds 3552 read only context and hibernate improvements by tomdesair ¡ Pull Request #1694 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3552 ] - [DS-3552] Select Collection step and submissions page load very slow on large repositories due to Hibernate - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I tested & reviewed it last week.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I saw the PR had lots of great input this week. Thanks for the thorough code review here, @pbecker . I also saw @tom_desair already did some code changes to address it
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> great, will take a look after the meeting. Am I free to merge then?
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker: Yes, I'd say if you are satisfied, please merge it. @hpottinger also reviewed/approved already
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Moar fixes for 6.1! :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker: If there's any concerns you still have, let me know & I can also find time tomorrow or Fri to review as needed. But, honestly, I've been watching this, and it seems like there's been a thorough code review already and a good number of testers
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And thanks to @tom_desair for this hard work. It seems like a significant improvement to performance for 6.1!
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Just one thing: @tom_desair do you thik it might be helpful to clear zthe cache only if coming from writeable to read-only mode, so that changes from readonly to readonly doesnt harm performance?
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> without looking, I expect the auth system to change from readonly to readonly mode.
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’ll look into that tomorrow
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> thank you. let me know and I merge afterwards-
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, sounds good. I'll leave this to you two, @tom_desair and @pbecker. Please do let me know if you need my input (ping me via Slack). But, hopefully we can get this merged this week.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along here... next is DS-3558 / DSPR#1707
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1707 ] - DS 3558 Case-insensitive bot matching option by Frederic-Atmire ¡ Pull Request #1707 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3558 ] - [DS-3558] Case-insensitive bot user agent matching can have performance impact - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> There's been some back and forth on this PR about the removal of the `static` variables. Are we now satisfied with this PR? Are there more outstanding questions/issues? (Looking towards @mwood / mhwood and/or @hpottinger)
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> You can test this PR with launching DSpace and using a browser extension like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg to mimic a bot user agent.
[15:25] <kompewter> [ User-Agent Switcher for Chrome - Chrome Web Store ] - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Then you need to check the SOLR stats core if the record was correctly marked as isBot.
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, wow, just realized there was a rather massive code refactor in this PR this morning (turning SpiderDetector into a Service/bean).
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Would someone here volunteer to give this a quick test again? @tom_desair, I realize this came from another Atmire employee, but have you tested it with the latest changes?
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> `:crickets:` Anyone here? ;)
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’ll do a retest tomorrow
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This seems important to get into 6.1. I do worry that it's expanded a bit more into a larger code refactor/improvement. However, the way the code is refactored seems reasonable to me, and like something we'd want eventually anyhow
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @tom_desair. Please add your findings to the PR itself
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, if anyone else is able to find time to test it, that'd be great. See @tom_desair's notes on doing so above :point_up:
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> On our list of other important tickets, DS-3287 still has not volunteer (so, it's highly likely to miss 6.1)
[15:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch Statistics fails in 6.0 (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, it's good to see DS-3447 is now assigned to KevinVdV. It still seems unlikely (to me) to get into 6.1 (as I feel we need to close those doors soonish), but hopefully will be a prime candidate for a 6.2
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, we'll see how that progresses, as well as how everything else going into 6.1 moves forward.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Just to state it publicly, my goal is to get 6.1 out *before* OR2017 (end of June). Ideally, we even get it released sometime in May. But, that's dependent on getting the last work tested & merged.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I think DS-3579 is also important but still needs a lot of testing
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> +1 for May!
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tom_desair any tips on how to test, what to look for, …?
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#1727 goes with that
[15:36] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1727 ] - DS-3579 Context mode and cache management for CLI commands by tomdesair
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Are you afraid of memory leaks or something?
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like @mwood gave that PR a review, and had one question on a comment. But gave it a +1 overall
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Yes mostly memory issues, and making sure that I didn’t break things with opening the Context in READ_ONLY mode.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, he also had questions on testing it
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @mwood also added a note regarding java.io.tmpdir.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> But I’ll let you know when I feel confident about it
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tom_desair shall I mark this work in progress and you notice me when you’re fine with it?
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Yes please ;)
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tdonohue was faster.
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Is there any timeline for 5.7? Or is that the same as 6.1?
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Just so we don't forget about this. I'm going to flag it for 6.1 (both in the ticket & PR). If we decide to reschedule, we can do so. But, it seems like we'd like to see this in 6.1
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 5.7 would be on the same timeline as 6.1
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> ok thx
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> and 4.x as well.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> .oO(and still things to backport for those)
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes...so, it's important to keep reviewing/testing PRs for 5.7 milestone & 4.8 milestone (especially any "quick fixes"). As any that *miss* those releases may never make it into those older codebases.
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We don't often backport a lot of bug changes/fixes (as we don't promise it, and it's hard to do so many backports). But, this time around, we've done quite a bit of that to help put a final "polish" on those older platforms.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> do we have a list of things we'd like to backport? Backporting is generally easy work, until git explodes.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We have a list of things *already* backported to these old platforms
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 5.7 open PRs: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A5.7
[15:44] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A5.7
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Oh, PRs
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 4.8 has no open PRs though
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tom_desair I just see that @mwood request some documentation for developers on how to work with the context, cache and so on. could you please add something like that to the dspace manuale?
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> will do
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tom_desair needs to leave now
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> thanks a lot! that’s great.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks for joining us, @tom_desair...and have a good evening
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Timecheck: we have about 15 mins left here
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> so, those PRs are just waiting for someone to mash the green button?
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : some may still require a review or test. Check the comments. If you'd like to help take a lead on merging small things into 5.7 / 6.1 (i.e. "quick fixes") it'd be appreciated. I'm available to do quick code reviews (extra set of eyes if you need them)
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> My *suspicion* here is that many of the "quick fixes" really are nearly ready for review...but I haven't gone through that full list myself in over a week
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> OK, I'll do that
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @hpottinger!
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> we're calling these "backports" which implies they've been merged upstream, yes? We typically don't even test backports, right?
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : They are backports, but I cannot guarrantee they have also been merged upstream. We still have a fair number of "quick wins" flagged for 6.1 too. https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.1+is%3Aopen
[15:50] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.1+is%3Aopen
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> OK, I'll untangle and merge what has already been merged
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it's likely more a task of (1) Going through *all* the "quick win" PRs...(2) seeing which can be merged (to whatever branch), (3) Merging those that are ready (into 6.x, 5.x and/or master)
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @hpottinger!
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Feel free to ping me if you hit questions...or ask on dev as well
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> will do
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we are nearing the end of the meeting here ( < 10 mins left). I wanted to loop back to next week's agenda/meeting. I'll be out next week. Is there someone @here willing to lead next week's meeting?
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It'll be on next Weds, May 10 @ 20UTC. The agenda is roughly the same as today...concentration on getting 6.1 tickets closed out and/or reviewing "quick win" PRs for last minute inclusion in 6.1, 5.7 and/or 4.8
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Either I'll do it, or I'll trick mhwood into volunteering. :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, thanks @hpottinger. I think it should hopefully be pretty straightforward. If you run out of things to talk about, just do a "quick win" PR review and see if you can push more green buttons ;)
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> buttons++
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Just a note here, I'm going to miss the post-meeting Backlog Hour today. I've got a DSpace Steering Meeting starting in <5mins to attend.
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I can hang out for about 30 minutes, then I have a standup
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll also note that we didn't get to the topic brought up recently in dev (by @mwood) about whether DSpace should move towards more Dependency Injection (i.e. Spring way of doing things)
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll have to run, sorry.
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> we need more than 3 minutes for that one, and probably need @mwood in the room, too
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> My gut here is that we are already moving in that direction (especially with 6.0 API refactor), and I see no reason to discourage a full movement towards the "Spring way". But, I would encourage others to discuss this topic next week or in dev .. and we can get back to it when I return in a few weeks
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> With that, we'll close up today's meeting. Thanks again all for the hard work on 6.1! I'm really hoping we can do a final push quickly and get a release in May. Let me know if anyone needs help in speeding things along...ping me on Slack or via email
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> "in May" = middle of May?
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> “in May” = within the next 28 days.
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> asap.
[21:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:03] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:05] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.