#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-06-14

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:33] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:33] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:33] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:33] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:33] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:33] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:33] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:23] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[12:26] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:42] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d439cb.access.ecotel.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:54] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder our DSpace Developers Mtg starts at the top of the hour (15UTC) *here*. Agenda is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-06-14
[14:54] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-06-14 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-06-14
[14:55] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Hey, kompewter came back. Yay! ;)
[14:56] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> great!
[14:56] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d439cb.access.ecotel.net) Quit (Quit: pbecker)
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @here: Hi all, welcome to our DSpace DevMtg. The agenda is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-06-14
[15:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-06-14 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-06-14
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> First off, I want to do a very quick roll call to see who we have with us today (always hard to tell). Please let us know if you are attending (via Slack or IRC)
[15:01] <mhwood> Here!
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> Here but probably not for the full meeting
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Cosima and I are here. Hello everyone!
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <jcreel256> Here in Slack
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, looks good. we have a good group paying attention today ;) Always worth checking in on that
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, as usual, our agenda for today is concentrated heavily on getting DSpace 6.1 out the door, and ideally before OR2017 (last week in June).
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> The *great* news here though is that our list of "high priority" tickets has decreased drastically over the last week...as we've had a lot of hard work (from all of you!) testing and merging PRs. So, a huge thanks to everyone!
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I volunteered
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, @pbecker is our 6.1 Release Coordinator ;)
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> erm, here! :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I could release it next week or after 28th.
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, here's where things now sit with 6.1 "high priority" tickets: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20and%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.1%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:05] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20and%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.1%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> kompewter is with us today
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Namely, we are down to DS-3602 and DS-3579, essentially
[15:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602 ] - [DS-3602] Bitstream statistics are not shown after a migration to 6.x - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> (And yes, kompewter has come back to life...after being seemingly "blocked" from IRC for several weeks)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> could we start with DS-3579 as long as @tom_desair is around?
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, I'd like to dig into these two tickets specifically to decide next steps. Namely, do we feel these *need* to be in 6.1, or is it worth considering delaying until a 6.2 (likely later this year)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Sure, let's start at DS-3579. @tom_desair, any status updates on this?
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> (3602 has a PR)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> DSPR#1727 is 3579's PR
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1727 ] - DS-3579 Context mode and cache management for CLI commands by tomdesair
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> Yes
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> We’ve been testing it and there is still 1 bug
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> However, I’m not entirely sure it is due to our changes. It looks like "metadata-import" is broken.
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> But we’ll fix it and then other people can start testing it.
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : any timeline on "we'll fix it"?
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I’ll try to get it fixed this week
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> @tom_desair please reach out to me, if there is anything I could help you with.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> Probably with testing the most important CLI command
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> 1727 also needs a rebase
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, 1727 does need a rebase, @tom_desair
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> 1727 probably isn’t the newest version?
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> We’ll take that up together with fixing the last bug
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Sounds good. While I hope this all gets done within the proposed timeline, I think we also should discuss whether 1727 should hold up 6.1. In other words, if this isn't "ready", do we still release 6.1 (and reschedule this for a 6.2 later this year)? Or do we continue to wait until this is deemed "ready to go"?
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> thoughts on whether 6.1 *must have* PR 1727?
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I think it would be great to have it, but it is not a must.
[15:14] <mhwood> Yes, good to have but not urgent.
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Let’s agree on the latest possible release date for 6.1 and see if it is ready or not.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I agree with that analysis as well
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, so let's move on to discuss the other outstanding ticket...and then we'll talk 6.1 release dates
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> DS-3602 / DSPR#1774
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602 ] - [DS-3602] Bitstream statistics are not shown after a migration to 6.x - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1774 ] - [DS-3602] Incremental Update of Legacy Id fields in Solr Statistics (w/ Solr Schema Change) by terrywbrady
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> This has been good work by @terrywbrady (who I understand has a mtg conflict right now). But, from the latest comments on 3602 (the ticket), it sounds like this *may not be as severe as originally thought*
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I think that comment is just XMLUI related. We should check JSPUI too.
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Namely, it sounds like XMLUI was found to be unaffected...and JSPUI may not be either (according to discussion in dev late yesterday by @kshepherd )
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, I agree...we should test this in JSPUI. It sounded like in dev that @kshepherd thought JSPUI is using the same base code as XMLUI in this area...but we should verify
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> But then why did Adan report: > When a Dspace is upgraded to 6.x, statistics of bitstream are not shown.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> ?
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> That's a good question, @tom_desair. Terry pinged Adan on the ticket...but no response yet.
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> There definitely is an underlying issue here that the Statistics should be converted to using UUIDs. So, @terrywbrady's work is important to merge at some point. But, it seems like there's a workaround already in the 6.x codebase, so this may not be a UI level bug
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, how do we want to proceed here? Could we get a few testers (of even *both* XMLUI and JSPUI) to see if we can even reproduce this issue?
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Beside the schema chance this ticket seems to be almost ready. right?
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Is there a chance we can split of the schema change into a separate issue?
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'm not sure splitting the schema change here buys us much. It'd mean we'd have to reindex *again* whenever we update the schema. If we are reindexing in this PR (which we are), it seems like we should be updating the schema based on that reindex
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> @tdonohue even if this would bring us to the choice to pospone the whole ticket or 6.1?
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I think the question now is where we put effort. Either we find a few testers to immediately test this PR (and include the whole thing in 6.1). Or we find a few testers to immediately reverify this bug in XMLUI/JSPUI (to determine whether this is even high priority)
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Splitting this into separate tickets doesn't seem worth the effort to me. If the PR works as-is, we can just include it now. If it doesn't work right, then we need to determine if this is "high priority" or not
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Currently, I'm not convinced this is even "high priority" and worth waiting on. But, that's my opinion here. However, I'm OK with this fix getting in, provided it is verified to work
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Others have thoughts? Or want to volunteer to help this forward?
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Has anyone @here done this 5.x->6.x upgrade (or could quickly test it) to see if this ticket is valid?
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I think we mostly verified it “works”.
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> The PR will not break anything and the conversion works. But the conversion might not be _required_.
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> We did the upgrade from 5 to 6, however, we simply dropped the old stats core since our repository wasn't officially "live"
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, it sounds (to me) like this is an unverified bug (at least from us). That said, I agree with @tom_desair's note that this conversion seems appropriate but not necessarily required
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I’ll do some more testing this and next week.
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Based on this, my recommendation here would be to *not* wait on this for 6.1. However, if we have folks willing to put in the testing time, then by all means, we should merge it (once verified to work). Anyone wish to agree/disagree with that?
[15:34] <mhwood> Agree. If it turns out to be an active bug, that would change the priority.
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> sounds fine to mee.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> agree, with mhwood's additional caveat
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, essentially, the summary here is that: We have two outstanding known bugs with active PRs (DS-3602 and DS-3579). We'd like both in 6.1, but 6.1 won't wait for either of them. Therefore, if anyone @here cares deeply about one or the other being in 6.1, please volunteer to help test/verify/move them forward.
[15:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602 ] - [DS-3602] Bitstream statistics are not shown after a migration to 6.x - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Time to talk about a release date. right?
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, now let's talk 6.1 release date
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> release date = hard deadline for the two issues mentioned above
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I’ll be out of office the 26th and 27th. we can release before that which means end of next week or after it.
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> releasing the 28th or even 29th would mean most of you are sitting in planes. right?
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> my plane ride starts on the 24th
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> @mwood: you’re going to or too. do you?
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> Action: tom_desair needs to run. I’ll try to get everything ready by the next Dev Meeting.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Out of my meeting. Your discussion of 3602 makes sense to me.
[15:40] <mhwood> I will not be at OR.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Not necessarily "most of us". But, OR2017 is going on from 6/27 though 6/30. I depart however on Fri, 23rd
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> Thursday the 22nd?
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, I'm out of the office 6/23 - 6/30. That doesn't mean we cannot release 6.1 that week. We can. But, I'll be unable to chip in...and I'll have to notify folks on my end to update the website/news
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> well... hmm... are we holding the door open for anything at this point?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> release on 22nd?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> next thursday?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> day after dev meeting?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> It's really a matter of schedule. In all honesty, looking at my week (and what I have to prep for OR2017), I'm unlikely to be able to help much with this release (other than ensuring dspace.org gets updated)
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> and if something really comes in super late, we can discuss if I have to release all versions on my own on 29th.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> we can always live demo a release :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I can do the release, I just wants to have some folks being reactive in case something doesn’t goes as expected.
[15:44] <mhwood> I will be around during my normal hours.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> That sounds fine. Tentative for 22nd. If we end up with any issues, we can reschedule for 29th/30th (and announce immediately after OR2017 if needed)
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> there *will* be some announcing required
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, it sounds like you'll minimally have support from @mwood , @pbecker ...even if you do the release during week of OR2017
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> @mwood was a big help before! :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> @mwood++
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Announcements are already drafted. It's really a matter of when do we send them out. I'd still like to see if this is possible before OR2017 (so I agree with tentative for 22nd). But, if we cannot manage, I can always let folks know 6.1 is coming at OR2017, and we announce as soon as I return.
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @pbecker : one general note here... we don't often announce on the exact same day the release is "cut". Especially if the release is cut at the end of the week (e.g. on Fri).
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> I know, I did this before. ;)
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> In those scenarios, we cut the release...but avoid posting announcements / full details until the Monday
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Cutting on Friday, waiting for maven central, announcing on Monday.
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, just a reminder then ;)
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> But It would be live on github already enduring that time.
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Doesn’t maven pushes it to github automatically?
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Or did I had to upload it?
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, it will be findable on GitHub as a 'tag'. But, we can just add the full Release Notes on the Monday
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> fine
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, so we have a plan here. We are aiming for 6.1 Release on 22nd. But, have a backup date of 29th or 30th.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> And as may day starts some hours before yours, I hope we can release and announce both next thursday.
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Are there any final notes/questions/comments here? We have a few minutes left, if so
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> @pbecker maybe do a language pack release prior?
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> @hpottinger I will check (as always) if there have bin any changes since the last language pack releases.
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> looks like there are 2
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, to summarize this mtg for all @here. Our goal for 6.1 is to release on June 22 (next Thurs). We have two known bug tickets remaining (DS-3602 and DS-3579), but won't hold up the release for either at this time. If you care deeply about either of these (or any other minor"quick fix" PRs), please help move them forward ASAP.
[15:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602 ] - [DS-3602] Bitstream statistics are not shown after a migration to 6.x - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Thanks again all! We'll talk again next week
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> For 3602, should I close the PR the does not have the schema change?
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : yes, I think so. I personally think we do the schema change now, or delay this for 6.2.
[16:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> If anyone @here finds time to look on Github on PRs for 6.1 marked as quick wins, I would appreciate that!
[16:27] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Here's that list of 6.1 "quick wins". As of now, none of these will get into 6.1 unless folks test/approve/comment on them: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.1
[16:27] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.1
[16:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> DSPR#1741 is ready to merge, as far as I can tell
[16:32] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1741 ] - DS-2291 Autocomplete not working on Mirage2 by edusperoni ¡ Pull Request #1741 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[16:35] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> Any objections if I merge 1741?
[16:35] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : I'm fine with 1741. Seems small, only touches Mirage 2, and you've tested it
[16:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> merged
[16:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> do I cherry-pick that to 5x?
[16:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> wait, that was a dumb question
[16:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : don't forget to close the various tickets this fixes (IIRC there were a few that were closely related)
[16:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> ;)
[16:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> closed DS-3611 and DS-2291
[16:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3611 ] - [DS-3611] Mirage2&#39;s choice-authority-control.xsl incorrectly treats collection IDs as integers - DuraSpace JIRA
[16:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2291 ] - [DS-2291] Autocomplete not working in submission in Mirage 2 - DuraSpace JIRA
[16:44] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> DSPR#1547 needs a tiny revision
[16:45] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1547 ] - DS-3351 bump pdfbox version (bugfixes only) by helix84
[16:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> I bumped PDFbox up to version 2.0.4 using the GitHub editor
[19:25] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:11] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:59] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.