#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-06-21

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:31] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[6:40] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:44] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[6:46] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[6:51] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:51] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:51] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:51] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:51] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:51] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[7:00] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[12:18] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:11] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[19:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder, our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting starts at the top of the hour. Agenda at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-06-21
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Hi all, and welcome to our weekly DSpace DevMtg. The primary goal today is to finalize the schedule of the 6.1 release... and if we get that done early, we may close up a bit early as well
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you haven't heard, there's kinda a big conference next week ;) (hence, I don't want to steal too much of anyone's time today)
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hello!
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> hi all
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> waves
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it help along the final planning/schedule for 6.1, this morning (with feedback from some other Committers who were online at the time), I drafted up a 6.1 "TODO" list at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.1+Status#DSpaceRelease6.1Status-6.1TODOList
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'm sorry i haven't done as much testing or merging or committing as i wanted over the last week, i've been a bit oversubscribed on various things
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I get the feeling @kshepherd. I'm oversubscribed until July basically ;)
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady looks like we still need to test jspui and double check that the legacy ids are used in bitstream downloads?
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> hi all
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I do not run JSPUI. We should validate. It should be easy to do.
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if you take a look a that TODO list, this morning a small group of us got together and talked through what is left to do, and what the 6.1 schedule looks like. Because of OR2017 next week, we've decided to wait on the 6.1 release until *after* OR2017 (_July 5 is the scheduled 6.1 release date_)
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> actually, hm
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @tdonohue fair enough too
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, assuming all goes, well, we'll "cut" the 6.1 release on July 5, and announcements will go out on July 6. If things don't go as smoothly, I'd still hope we'd get 6.1 out the door that first week in July.
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> that actually helps me because any live demos can be 6.1 contributions :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Fyi, I will be out the week of July 5, but I can help before the release.
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Regarding "helping" 6.1...I'm really relying on those *not attending OR2017* to ensure 6.1 TODO tasks get worked on in the next few weeks.
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I want to be sure we have folks who are willing to continue to contribute to 6.1 this week, and next week (and someone to organize a check-in meeting next week)
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> waves again
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Anyone want to raise hands for this? (@mwood , i'll consider that a hand raise)
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> +1
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I can help with TODO's.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'll be out this Friday.
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (And to be abundantly clear here, I'm essentially not going to be around the next few weeks. This week is final prep for OR2017, I leave on Friday. Then I get back in the office on July 5. I'll be available on email, but I won't be actively checking in on 6.1 progress)
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'll be dependent on you all to keep pushing this forward. ;)
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I now have a note on my calendar for every day between now and 05-Jul: "work on DSpace 6.1"
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Could I get a volunteer to call a DevMtg next week and ensure a 6.1 check-in happens? You can use the 15UTC timeslot (normal DevMtg time). No need to even publicly announce the meeting, but it'd be good to ensure others show up to help you ;)
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I can do that.
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @mwood!
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> One last thing on this topic... who *is* around to help these next few weeks on 6.1? I know @mwood, @terrywbrady and @pbecker will be around. Anyone else available to chip in?
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i will be at OR17, but i get quite dspacey at OR conferences ;) i think i'll should be at least testing and merging some quick wins / last minute bugfixes for 6.1
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds like it may just be the three of you... but hopefully you'll find a few others in dev (even non-Committers) who could help in final testing, etc. Oh, and @kshepherd from OR2017, thanks! ;)
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’m also available a few hours a week to help testing and fixing.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks as well, @tom_desair!
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, the goal is that, hopefully by July 5 *most* (if not all) of the things on the TODO list are checked off: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.1+Status#DSpaceRelease6.1Status-6.1TODOList
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (Keep in mind though, that doesn't mean all the PRs need to be _merged_. They just need to be reviewed for inclusion. If they are determined "not ready", reschedule them and check them off)
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> On irc today, there was report of an issue with Embargo in 6x Mirage2. Does anyone have a sense of how repeatable that issue might be? I do not yet see a ticket for it
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady , i just commented on DS-3602 again -- just had a thought that perhaps that last assumption about legacy ids vs uuids wasn't quite related to the issue
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : I'd recommend we concentrate on the issues we are fully aware of (at this time). I fully believe there will be a 6.2...so, further issues can always be slotted there (once verified)
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Sounds good.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (That said, it is worth that person/reporter creating a ticket for future verification of the issue)
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @kshepherd , thanks for the clarification on 3602. I will dig into that next.
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, any questions on the 6.1 release schedule, goals for the next few weeks, etc?
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> um small thing, another thing i dropped the ball on and forgot for a while sorry
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I will also be checking email and maybe be on Slack on my phone sometimes (though on Australia time, obviously). So, if you have something come up, you can ping me. I just may not be able to respond quickly.
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @tom_desair , @tdonohue - i never did manage to cherry pick pull/1610 into master, just too many conflicts and i got really confused trying to trace them down. could we reopen pull/1598 (the old closed master PR) or make a new PR to get this into master?
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> not exactly critical for 6.1 since the 6_x merge is already in, i just saw it looking sad on my Trello todo list :P
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> or if anyone wants to school me on cherrypicking sets of commits while manually resolving conflicts, and help me figure out how each conflict should be resolved, that'd be cool too. I think a seperate PR might be cleaner though, now, even though not ideal
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd : I'd say create a new PR for master. To be honest though, there's a separate REST API on "master", and this updates the old one...so, it's importance on master is very low: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1610
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> that's true..
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. There's more important things to do. It might be nice, if it's not too hard, to eventually sync this up into "master" (just to make it easier to later verify the *new* REST API can do the same things the *old* one can). But, it's low priority right now.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’ll look at it after the 6.1 release ;)
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds good
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> and thanks
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Other questions/comments/updates to share here related to 6.1?
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, I didn't want to forget to publicly *thank* @tom_desair for his work gathering "promising smaller PRs" (that 6.1 TODO list of PRs was borrowed from him)
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i think i'll be putting through a very small improvement / fix for Discovery facet term lists/browses *during* the conference, during a presentation actually. don't be scared if you see that
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeah thanks @tom_desair that really helps prioritise testing! i'm going to crank up my vagrant-dspace instance soon
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I also wanted to publicly *thank* @sulfrian for all the recent PR reviews/testing you've been doing (based on @tom_desair's list). It's great to see you getting involved
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh +1 thanks @sulfrian
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (And I fully admit I haven't been able to be as responsive myself in GitHub this week.. OR2017 is just so much work to prep for!)
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> no problem :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, I think that's everything I really wanted to talk about today. It's a bit light on topics, I know. But, it is good to see 6.1 right around the corner. Thanks to all @here for all your hard work on this release.
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there any other topics folks want to bring up today? Or should we close early?
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> kshepherd , you are correct about owningItem for 3602. I will create a PR to perform an OR on the owningItem legacy id.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady ok cool, i'll still plan the jspui testing for you. should be easy. there might be some other references we need to check too, outside of bitstreams / owning items
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, I'm not hearing other topics. So, I'm going to close out today's meeting. Though you all are more than welcome to continue conversations here (or in dev)
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> cheers all, back to upgrade planning (doing an upgrade the day before flying overseas is a good idea, right?)
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It looks like the workflow queries perform a UUID search on owningComm.
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> For those who will be at OR2017, I'll see you in Brisbane, Australia next week! For everyone else, we'll talk again on July 5!
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Have a great trip. I am sorry that I will not be there with you all!
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> "
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Have fun!
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll see you in August, @terrywbrady, at the Georgetown DSpace Mtg. And yes, sorry that @mwood, @pbecker and others also won't make it. We'll have a pint for you all
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> A good excuse for me to plug the following event: https://www.library.georgetown.edu/node/19724
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> If you can make it to DC in Aug, please register and join us!
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> If you have an interest in using IIIF with DSpace, there is a call scheduled for Friday: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=85525679
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady will there be some notes etc shared in iiif for those of us with uncooperative timezones?
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Good idea. I will encourage folks to share their notes on the wiki page that I listed. I have already added what I plan to share on the page.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok, i shall now shuffle back over to dev and to my upgrade planning. cheers all :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:58] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:52] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:52] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.