#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-07-05

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[4:12] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[4:12] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:27] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:27] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:27] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:27] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:27] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:27] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:27] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:16] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:32] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[14:44] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:03] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: As mentioned in dev, we'll have a brief meeting today just to touch base post-OR2017, and keep the momentum moving forward on getting 6.1 out the door ASAP
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Quick check of which 6.1 active developers/committers we have @here. Could we do a quick role call?
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Here!
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Hi all
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Good, we have a few folks listening in then ;)
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so quickly, a few notes from OR2017. It was an excellent conference (as always). My impression was the DSpace 7 talks/workshops went over well (but as I was presenting both, it's always possible I'm biased). Nonetheless, I heard positive feedback overall after both
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The notes & resources from the first DSpace + Angular Workshop (taught by @art-lowel and I) are now available on the wiki at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/OR2017+DSpace+Angular+Workshop (The slidedeck and the DSpace 7 slidedeck are linked at the bottom of that page, as Resources)
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I saw positive things about the Angular workshop on Twitter
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This workshop will be re-run at the Georgetown DSpace Meeting on Aug 22-23 (likely in a shorter version though). But, all the resources are also there to "teach yourself" if individuals want to jump in.
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I also hope that we'll have this workshop elsewhere in the future and/or turn some of this into a webinar or similar. But that all is to be decided
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's it for the basics from OR2017. I'm sure others may have more to share/say once they return. I know several of these talks were also recorded (though I don't think the workshop was)...not sure when the recordings will be shared though
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Now, on to 6.1 updates / status checks: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.1+Status
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I noticed a new "High Priority" fix popped into our list: DS-3634
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3634
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is this really a Blocker? It sounds like there's something to still be verified here, based on @tom_desair's comment?
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> No I think this ticket is not the blocker. We just need to document that handles in DSpace 6 are not based on the handle_id, but use a separate sequence.
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I think the blocker one is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3632
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I recall we did specifically make that decision.
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> the update-handle-script in DSpace 6 still asumes it can use the “handle_id”. But that’s not correct. It’s even not correct for DSpace 5 is you use versioning (where you have handles like 12345678/12.5)
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so that needs to get on our 6.1 list then
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Actually it is.
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll get these tickets updated (downgrade 3634 and upgrade 3632)
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, it's on the TODO list... not actually listed as a "blocker" though for 6.1 (i.e. not on high priority list)
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 3634 is now changed to a "minor" Documentation ticket
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And 3632 now on the high priority list
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, regarding the PRs for 3632, it sounds like these PRs have been tested and are essentially "ready to go"?
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> The DSpace 6 version has been tested by a user (see PR) but it still needs a review (and maybe a second test).
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I can give these both a code review
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Someone else should still test the DSpace 5 PR.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, thanks @tom_desair. If anyone else @here
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That previous message was cut off on the IRC side...let's try that again:
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If anyone else @here is interested in chipping in, we could use testers for https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1796 and https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1790
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Just wanted to be sure that got logged properly! ;)
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, regarding the other "high priority" ticket, I noticed that https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602 had more activity and another new PR: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1782
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll ping @kshepherd to see if he has any time to give this another review/test...but if this is important to anyone else here, it looks like this PR is now quite a bit smaller, and easier to test/consider for 6.1
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’ll take a look at it tomorrow.
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks, @tom_desair!
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> OK, I'll also add this one to the top of the TODO list
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Speaking of the TODO list, the list is looking pretty far along: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.1+Status
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm not sure if there's anything to specifically "call out" today for discussion... I admit, I still need to make it all the way through the list myself. But, I plan to take a closer look at each of these myself *before* cutting 6.1
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is there any here that folks want to specifically talk more about?
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> It would be nice if someone could test the PRs for DS-3636
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> My process here will be to go through these one-by-one and give a code review and merge as many as look "ready to go". However, any that still have outstanding questions or need further testing *may not make it into 6.1* (unless I find time to test or someone else steps forward to test)
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3636
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> While 3636 looks nice, I'm not sure I'd be willing to merge more DB migrations without some thorough testing. In my mind, this could simply wait for 6.2, as the ticket itself is very "vague" in claims of "work increase the performance". I believe it'd help yes, but not sure it's worth stuffing in at the last minute without good testing
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, that said, if anyone @here
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> wants to help, this is another area that could use it
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Normally it shouldn’t break stuff ;)
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> that's assuming all the DB migrations don't break upgrades though ;)
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> :)
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes, we need to be ruthless in keeping new stuff *out* of 6.1 at this point unless absolutely necessary.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think there will be a 6.2 before very long....
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, @tom_desair I completely agree with the ideas behind 3636, but like @mwood I'm a bit nervous just stuffing in things that "should work" but haven't been fully tested ;)
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yes, I suspect 6.2 won't be long
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’ll try to find a tester ;)
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds fine
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I am happy to see people hunting down these missing indexes.
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok...so, any other tickets to highlight here? Or questions/comments in general?
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Essentially my goal this week is to get 6.1 in a "shippable" state. I'm hoping that'll occur before the end of this week, but it might wrap into early next week. Either way, my best guess right now is that 6.1 likely will be *announced* early next week (but may be officially cut on Fri, if we can finish things up today/tomorrow)
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'm going to strive to cut the release on Friday (if we can make it)...but I reserve the right to delay that until Monday as necessary. Either way, expect to see 6.1 announcements early next week
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yay!
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Any final thoughts / questions / comments here? Or shall we wrap up for the day?
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> None here.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> :tada:
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Once we have the releases out of the way, we should dedicate a DevMeeting on the discussion topics that were posted on the devel mailing list (support for more database and how to do dependency injection).
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, let's consider that a meeting then! I'll be on Slack during my normal working hours the next few days, and also on GitHub. Ping me as needed.
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And yes, I agree @tom_desair, we'll get back to those topics after 6.1 is out the door
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Just FYI, I’m on holiday next week so I might not respond quickly then.
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Have a good rest of your day/evening all, and I'll talk to you on Slack/GitHub!
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> 'bye, all!
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks for the note, @tom_desair. Have a good holiday
[20:42] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Thx! And thx for the meeting! See you!
[21:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.