#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-07-19

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[3:12] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[3:12] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:44] -weber.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:44] -weber.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:44] -weber.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:44] -weber.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:44] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:44] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:44] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:09] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:41] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:02] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[14:14] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[18:26] <wild_oscar> hey tdonohue! I was just reading a comment you added to https://github.com/DSpace/xoai/issues/62
[18:27] <wild_oscar> I just wanted to let you know that my team and I are preparing the XOAI release this week. We're closing some existing tickets and adding additional fixes for other issues we've identified
[18:28] <wild_oscar> as you mentioned on that ticket, I'll need your help to perform the release. can you put that on the item list for today's discussion?
[18:29] <wild_oscar> I'll try to attend the meeting (still need to get home), but nonetheless our goal is to close all tickets this week and perform the release early next week, if that's ok with you
[18:41] * wild_oscar (~malmeida@webservices.itclinical.com) has left #duraspace
[19:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have a conflict for the first half of today's meeting. I will join when I am able. My first priority is to resolve the open issue with the following PR: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1782
[19:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks for the note, @terrywbrady
[19:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And wild_oscar, I added that to the agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-07-19
[19:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder that our DSpace DevMtg starts at the top of the hour. Agenda for today is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-07-19
[19:59] * wild_oscar (~miguel@a109-49-126-51.cpe.netcabo.pt) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome to our DSpace DevMtg. The agenda for today is listed above
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> First off, let's do a brief roll call to see who has joined us @here (either in Slack or IRC)
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> present
[20:02] <wild_oscar> howdi. I'm also present
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Hi
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so we have a few folks here. Small group today, but that's Ok. (wild_oscar, glad you could join us...I saw your note and added XOAI to the agenda)
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> First up though, I just wanted to publicly thank everyone who helped on the DSpace 6.1 release! It took a bit longer than expected, but glad to have that out the door ;)
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If there are any final thoughts anyone would like to add, or comments on what went well / not so well on that 6.1 release process, I'd love to heard them.
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> *hear them, that is
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think we might have been a bit more severe about deferring noncritical fixes to 6.2, but I'm not really complaining.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> anyone with regrets that something didn't make it in, there's always 6.2 to aim for, get cracking
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Having a closed repository on Github for stuff not ready to be public was quite helpful.
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Good feedback. Thanks @mwood. Yes, that's likely true. It's always a balance between moving PRs along quickly, and simply deferring to finish up the release more quickly.
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> to be clear, I'm one such person: I have a bit of code I've promised to shepherd into 6x
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I fully support a 6.2, but I admit I'm not likely to be able to shepherd that one along much myself (as I'll have to jump to pushing harder on 7.0, likely)
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we'll need other shepherds of 6.2 to step forward (I'll still chip in where I can, just likely not in a lead role)
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> well, it's up to us, if we think we need it, we make it happen
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> however, since 6.x is the last branch with JSPUI and XMLUI, I think the liklihood of a 6.2 is pretty high
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so that's good feedback in general. I'd like to move along to other topics now, as I know wild_oscar is waiting to talk about an XOAI release. 6.1 release process feedback is also welcome via email/Slack/IRC, or we can add more in if we have extra time at the end today.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, next up, let's talk a new XOAI release which wild_oscar mentioned on IRC today and on this ticket: https://github.com/DSpace/xoai/issues/62
[20:11] <wild_oscar> yes. so my team and I are preparing for a minor (and long due) bug fix release
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It sounds like wild_oscar has the actual merging of bug fixes part under control. But, he needs support in actually *cutting* the release (and sending off to Maven central)
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is there anyone @here who could volunteer to work with wild_oscar to simply cut the release?
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I think I've cut an XOAI release at some point?
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I'm glad to be "on call" myself, assuming it's during my normal working hours...but, I'm not sure I'll have time to do the release myself)
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'll be around to add some confusion if asked.
[20:13] <wild_oscar> in terms of changes to the code, I would only suggest that someone takes a look at the pom file to ensure project and repository details are correct for this release
[20:13] <wild_oscar> since the previous release was still from the days when Joao managed the code (and it still has some lyncode references in the pom)
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I see: https://github.com/DSpace/xoai/blob/master/pom.xml
[20:14] <wild_oscar> I'm in London 9AM-6PM time and can gladly work with someone on that timezone
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I admit, I'm not sure myself if we can easily "extract" those lyncode references (some see to be dependencies).
[20:16] <wild_oscar> the project seems to be linked to the sonatype repositort, so I guess it'd need to be updated as well (you mentioned maven central)?
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> oh, wait, I remember now, I remember wanting to be able to help, and then being perplexed until Lyncode saved the day
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> wild_oscar: no, we use Sonatype to push things to Maven Central
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The POM in general looks fine. The only oddities I see are the "com.lyncode" dependencies in the POM. But, I'm unsure if we can remove those without breaking the build/install process
[20:17] <wild_oscar> for this release I'll keep all lyncode references (within the pom file all that could be changed is the <developers> section, but I'd suggest keeping it ther as well
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm fine with leaving the POM as-is for this release, to be honest. It's a long overdue bug fix, and I see nothing obviously objectionable in the POM
[20:18] <wild_oscar> I'd suggest changing that on a future release, as it'll surely become a major release
[20:18] <wild_oscar> so from my side all I'd need to know is who to reach early next week to give the OK for the release (and where)
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I would assume that we can't remove those dependencies. And I agree that we don't need to touch <developers> and should not mess with those.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> One tiny thing I would change is to remove the bit about Continuum, which hasn't been used by DSpace since I first looked at it.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger or @mwood, are one of you willing to give this a try with wild_oscar next week? My suspicion is this shouldn't see a complex release, but if it becomes problematic, I'm glad to be pinged for help
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> shouldn't *be* a complex release
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> is the release process documented?
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> My calendar next week is no worse than usual.
[20:21] <wild_oscar> hpottinger - I haven't seen it documented in the code
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's the same general release process as releasing DSpace.. or, at least it's the same general Maven Commands. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure
[20:22] <wild_oscar> also, for future reference (and just to be sure) - where in the process is the CI system? I saw checks on pull requests stating everything is passing, but I couldn't figure out where the CI was running and what tests it was performing (hopefully mvn verify)
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> wild_oscar: we use Travis CI: https://travis-ci.org/DSpace/xoai
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> What is run is controlled by the .travis.yml file: https://github.com/DSpace/xoai/blob/master/.travis.yml IIRC Travis CI defaults to running `mvn test` for Maven projects, but you can change that
[20:25] <wild_oscar> excellent, thanks for the travis information :)
[20:25] <wild_oscar> so hpottinger mwood, I'll ping you Monday/Tuesday for the release? if not on IRC, where can I find you?
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Slack works for me
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger back to your question...there is no formally documented procedure for releasing XOAI. But, I would anticipate it being _very similar_ to DSpace's. I'd recommend however documenting any differences discovered along the way.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> wild_oscar you could ping @hpottinger on this channel. You are in IRC, but this channel is autosyncing with our Slack (where hpottinger is)
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I almost always have IRC and Slack running.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Or, you are welcome to join Slack: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Slack
[20:27] <wild_oscar> perfect. so that works for me, and I have no further questions!
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds great then. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) this goes smoothly. But, as this will be the first XOAI release under "org.dspace" (since Joao/Lyncode managed this), I'd recommend not promising a release by any particular date/time
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, as mentioned, I'm glad to be pulled in to help debug things (as needed). But, hopefully you won't need to do so ;)
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, thanks wild_oscar for you and your teams support/effort on XOAI!
[20:30] <wild_oscar> you're welcome! thank you all for the support as well
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> hash-dspace in IRC syncs to the dev channel in Slack, hash-duraspace syncs to the dev-mtg channel in Slack
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, since it sounds like we have everything planned out on this topic, we'll move along now to other DSpace topics.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> which means pinging me in hash-duraspace leaves a paper trail, thanks to good ol' Duralogbot
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We've had a few ongoing discussion tickets floating at the bottom of the agenda for some time. But, before we talk about those, I'd like to discuss what we'd like to see out of this meeting in coming weeks/months.
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Namely, the DSpace 7 efforts have (appropriately) spun off into a separate meeting (as we're all aware)
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And I'd like to see more and more folks get involved on the DSpace 7 side of things (as we could use the help, honestly) now that 6.1 is out the door
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Obviously though, there will continue to be a need for 6.x ticket reviews, discussions, and planning for a (likely) 6.2 (whenever that comes about)
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I have no immediate suggestions here, other than to note that it's worth thinking about the goals of this meeting, and whether we'd like to keep it a bit more 6.x specific (at least for the time being), in light of the 7.0 efforts elsewhere
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Oh, I have something to bring up timing-wise, for this meeting
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> something that made a big impression on me at OR17 in Brisbane is the heartfelt thanks/appreciation from the community members in Australia and New Zealand for being in their own time zone, I wonder if there would be a way for us to include them in these weekly discussions
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That was the initial point of alternating these meetings between 15 UTC (better for Eastern USA and Europe) and 20UTC (better for Western/Eastern USA and Australia/NZ)
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That said, I realize it's still not great for Australia/NZ, as it's 6:40am there
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, pushing the meeting back much further in the day essentially means I wouldn't be able to lead it.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It's very early tomorrow morning over there right now. We in NA would need to stay late or get up very early to hit their normal daytime. I'm not saying I wouldn't do that if asked.
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, currently we are constrained partially by my work hours. I'm glad to have someone else lead meetings at a later time (and I might be able to lurk in such meetings). But, this is pretty much the latest I'm available for a full hour (since I have two small kids, age 2 and 5, to pick up after this mtg)
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Understandable.
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Essentially, I think a meeting for Australia/NZ would be excellent. But, I cannot lead it
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Though I may be able to attend/lurk occasionally
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Maybe we make one of them lead it. :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> erm, I mean, ask nicely
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Offer the opportunity.
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd love to find a model where we could even rotate chairing meetings. This is something that actually does occur in other OS communities (e.g. Hydra/Samvera Tech meetings have a volunteer chair each week)
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, if we rotate chairing meetings, that frees the schedule from a "when Tim is at work" schedule, to pretty much anytime ;)
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We might see folks from other countries in that slice of the world, too.
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I'll propose something on the mail list and see where that goes
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger If you are in touch with individuals who'd specifically like to see this, please offer them the option to lead a mtg (and copy me in if you wish)
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> you already offered..cool
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> to be clear, my impression was from the conference in general, and not from specific people, just many locals commented on it, and experiencing the lag in person for a week, I *get* it
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I agree with the point, and thanks for bringing it up. I suspect this is something we can easily do if someone is willing to chair the mtg at a later time. So, asking if anyone is willing is a good first step
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And this is an important question also for the DSpace 7 meetings...as involvement around the world would also be welcome there. But, as of yet, those meetings are at 15UTC to accommodate USA / Europe (as that's where all our current participants are based)
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Can I raise a new issue?
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Go for it, @terrywbrady
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> 6.0 had some significant bugs that have prevented me from considering an upgrade. I hope 6.1 is stable enough to consider upgrading to.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Does that match the understanding of other folks? As we talk about a 6.2, it seems like we need to make sure we have a solid 6.x for folks to migrate to.
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Agreed. My impression is 6.1 is much more stable. I haven't upgraded locally yet. I'm certain a 6.2 will happen at some point (as bug fixes are always needed), but it would become higher priority if further stability issues are discovered
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> 6.0 has been very stable for us
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> 6.1 is running just as smoothly
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I know the security issues made the release process slow. Hopefully we move quickly if needed. @hpottinger , that is good to hear. Hopefully the statistics/solr stuff was the main point of instability.
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> To clarify, I do think 6.0 is stable...I think it's just not as performant/scalable as 5.x. So, larger sites were waiting on 6.1 to fix the performance/scalability issues
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> If you have a moment to gather a list of unaddressed bugs that prevent uptake of 6.x, that would help us get a more stable 6.2 out soonest.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I want to do a test upgrade in the next month. The tricky part is testing performance and replicating my full instance.
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we are nearly out of time here...We never really got back to my question about what this meeting "should be about". But, it sounds like the discussion here revolves mostly around 6.x maintenance (appropriately).
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, at least for the time being, I plan to likely keep this meeting more 6.x specific (other broad topics are welcome though)
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Does that sound reasonable?
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It sounds like we have a backlog of 6_x issues that we need to address. As we get those fixed and out, 7_x should work its way in here.
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I think it makes sense to keep a focus on 6x until we have confirmation that things are good and stable
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> @tdonohue++
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I'm eager to get back to working on 7x myself!
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We don't have to fix every last thing in 6_x before talking 7_x here, but it sounds like we need to get some things fixed to finish stabilizing.
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok. One final note. While I still have the JIRA Backlog hour blocked off on my calendar, you may have noticed we've been doing that a lot less. That's cause of the 2 other DSpace DevMtgs (this one and the 7.0 Mtg).
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> While I'm still available for pinging during "Backlog hour" (as it's blocked off), I plan to decrease the frequency of making that a weekly "meeting"
[21:00] * wild_oscar (~miguel@a109-49-126-51.cpe.netcabo.pt) has left #duraspace
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Instead, I'd encourage folks bring 6.x tickets *here* and 7.x tickets to the 7.0 Mtg.
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And if our Backlog starts to grow (although Bram & I have been maintaining it ad hoc), we can throw in a Backlog mtg in the future again at some point. But, hopefully it doesn't get to that ;)
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's it for today! Thanks for the discussion. Please do feel free to update future agendas with topics or tickets for discussion.
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Jira/PR sessions are less formal anyway. Anybody who shows up can help!
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And as a reminder, the next DSpace 7 Mtg is tomorrow at 15UTC in Google Hangouts. So, hope to see you then!
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Bye all!
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> 'bye.
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> bye everyone
[21:03] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:13] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[21:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> anyone reviewing the logs, and maybe wants to do some Jira maintenance, the backlog is empty at the moment, however this filter finds many interesting things: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-685?filter=13907 those are issues that are flagged as affecting versions of DSpace that are no longer supported. We should close them if they've been fixed in the intervening years, or if they are still indeed iss
[21:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> version/s" field for each

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.