#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-08-16

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:44] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:44] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:44] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:44] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:44] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:44] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:44] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[11:57] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:02] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[12:04] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Client Quit)
[12:29] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:35] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[14:53] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[15:22] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[15:32] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[15:58] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[16:31] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:37] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[19:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder that our weekly DSpace DevMtg is starting at the top of the hour here. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-08-16
[19:54] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-08-16 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-08-16
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Hi all @here. Welcome to our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda is listed above.
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd like to start off with a quick roll call to see who is paying attention/attending via either Slack or IRC
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> :wave:
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> While we are waiting for others to respond (assuming they are around), I'll cover the first agenda item quickly.
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <stonema> :wave:
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next week is the DSpace User Group Meeting at Georgetown. Because of that, at least a few of our regular attendees (myself, @mwood and @terrywbrady) will not be around for this weekly meeting (on Weds, Aug 23)
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> here
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'm leaning towards simply canceling next week's meeting, unless someone steps forward to offer to run the meeting (with the understanding that at least three of us won't be here)
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Considering there are 4 of us here (so far), and 3 are attending the meeting next week, it sounds like we should just cancel for next week ;) But, I'll ask around a bit more to see if anyone else is available to run it.
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along for now...
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> the big topic for today is an immediate DSpace 6.2, and getting some Hibernate fixes out for anyone running 6.x already
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As you can see from the list of 4 tickets on that agenda, we just have two identified tickets remaining... and both are solved by a single PR: DSPR#1824
[20:07] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1824 ] - DS-3656 and DS-3648 : Fix several Hibernate caching / saving issues by tdonohue
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I was asking around earlier today on the dev channel for some final testing/reviews, as this PR does make modifications to a few central/core classes/methods (`Context.commit()` and `HibernateDBConnection.uncacheEntity()`).
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I've been hesitant to push this forward with some additional tests...but I've also been struggling a bit to find testers (that said, I know a lot of our volunteer devs have summer vacations, etc)
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm curious what others think here... it seems like we can either leave this PR sitting open for more testers OR we could merge & see if someone can push it out to demo.dspace.org (to get more testing there in the next few days or so)? Might be other options.
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> My plate is full for the next 2 weeks. What testing instructions are available for the PR?
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DS-3648 and DS-3656 are the bugs it is supposed to fix. But, that said, these are *core* methods...so, it literally would be nice to verify that other basic activities haven't been affected (Almost every area of our codebase uses `Context.commit()` and this PR refactors that method)
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3648 ] - [DS-3648] XMLUI Batch Import Failure - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3656 ] - [DS-3656] DOIOrganiser CLI does not change the database anymore - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's why I've been hesitant to merge after a few +1s here...this is hard to "fully" test without fully testing DSpace.
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (That all said we've had one tester verify it fixes the two bugs it is linked to...and I've done some basic testing of DSpace with this PR applied...and both have resulted in successful tests.)
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Perhaps pushing it forward is the best approach to getting more tests run against it.
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> So, I've just tested DSPR#1824, it works for me in Vagrant-DSpace, I gave it a +1 and approved it
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1824 ] - DS-3656 and DS-3648 : Fix several Hibernate caching / saving issues by tdonohue
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker (who won't be able to join us today) said he'd also try and give this a test tomorrow (as he has a DOI setup he can test against to verify ticket 3656).
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I have a 6_x-based repository where we need to do some batch loading, I'll cherry-pick that PR into our main branch and run with it, for whatever that's worth
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I will note that @pbecker did also add a comment about a possible small concern around not decaching Submitters here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1824#discussion_r133498434
[20:20] <kompewter> [ DS-3656 and DS-3648 : Fix several Hibernate caching / saving issues by tdonohue · Pull Request #1824 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1824#discussion_r133498434
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think we're going to have to live with "good enough" in the short term. If we miss some EPerson instances that aren't actually used, so be it. The code needs radical reorganization to make its use of the persistence layer comprehensible and predictable, and that won't be quick.
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> No, I don't have specific ideas yet.
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I did a quick scan of the code. I agree that it would be tricky to try to manage the epersons in the cache.
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I was just typing something similar to @mwood. I like @pbecker's thought on EPerson caching, but worried I won't have any more time for this (for at least a week), and I feel this PR (and others merged recently) make *significantly* improvements to caching in 6.1 (So they are likely "good enough")
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'd be happy, for now, with "doesn't break and reduces memory pressure". Perfection will take longer.
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I guess we are at the question of how to proceed here. Should I merge this and push out to demo? Maybe someone(s) can help me ping DCAT for testing help? I really want to get 6.2 out the door (as I think some of these problems are significant), but also don't want to rush this without decent testing.
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> That sounds like a plan.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will be glad to write to DCAT.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As part of that plan is an "ask" ;) I need help. I'm swamped and also need to prep two talks for DSpace User Group Mtg next week. If anyone can help ping DCAT and/or push this up to demo, it'd be a huge help to me
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady!
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I volunteered for the easy task...
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I can put it on demo.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @mwood. I'm hoping that won't be all that hard...there's only ~4-5 new PRs between 6.1 and 6.2
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Do the cron jobs run daily on demo? Are those where the errors would be most likely to be found?
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, cron jobs run daily. Hard to say where errors "would most likely be found", but it would be one place to watch.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The full demo setup is documented at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/demo.dspace.org+Notes
[20:30] <kompewter> [ demo.dspace.org Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/demo.dspace.org+Notes
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And it uses puppet scripts available here: https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/puppet-dspace-demo
[20:31] <kompewter> [ GitHub - DSpace-Labs/puppet-dspace-demo: Puppet / Cloud-Init scripts to auto-setup demo.dspace.org server ] - https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/puppet-dspace-demo
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> By crons, I meant filter-media, re-indexing, etc. The crons on the link you sent appear to be demo management crons.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Once demo is updated, what command line tasks need to be run and verified?
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, all those are enabled on demo.dspace.org. If you login and run `crontab -l` you'll see it has all the default filter-media, indexing, etc cron jobs
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, I agree it'd be good to watch the logs on demo over the period that folks are testing
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if it sounds good, I'll go ahead and merge this PR then today. Any additional issues found we can treat separately.
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> sounds good
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Then, @mwood if you can update demo tomorrow or Fri, that'd be great...and maybe we ask DCAT to test over the next week (until Fri, Aug 25?)?
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Does that sound reasonable, or do others have tweaks/suggestions to that?
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It's on my calendar.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sorry, was writing a comment on the PR ;)
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so, IIRC, there was also discussion on possibly squeezing DSPR#1810 into 6.2 (suggested by @terrywbrady)
[20:41] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1810 ] - [DS-3602] Incremental Update of Legacy Id fields in Solr Statistics (w/ Solr Schema Change) by terrywbrady
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm trying to recall where we left off with that. I'm not against adding this in, and we could treat this similarly (merge it, get some extra testing via demo.dspace.org). But, wanted to bring this up again for discussion
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> The words that make me sit up and take notice are "Solr schema change".
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh wait...wrong PR
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I was thinking DSPR#1766, which I see is already merged
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1766 ] - [DS-3602] Incremental Update of Legacy Id fields in Solr Statistics by terrywbrady ¡ Pull Request #1766 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1782
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Nevermind ;)
[20:43] <kompewter> [ [DS-3602] Ensure Consistent Use of Legacy Id in Usage Queries by terrywbrady · Pull Request #1782 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1782
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, I'm confused...there's a lot of these PRs
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 1782 is the correct one...and my thought was correct
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I'm getting a little dizzy, too
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 1782 is the one considered possibly for 6.2
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It is confusing. I created a variety of options attempting to find the minimal functionality to include. This is the one without the schema change.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> well.... I suppose I can blast my Vagrant space and spark up a new one
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It had tests from Tom Desair and Kim Shepherd. There is one more commit I made to address the fact that results display on separate lines.
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> gosh, this looks pretty well tested already...
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, this is why I wanted to be sure it got attention as something else to slip into 6.2 (alongside all these Hibernate fixes)
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm ok with adding this myself, but wanted to see if we had next steps and/or wanted to quickly include this as part of the push out to demo.dspace.org for more testing
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It could certainly go in. If there are old 5x stats records on demo, then it would be testable there.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> push the button, max!
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Unfortunately demo resets itself
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> so, it won't be so "testable" there I guess...but someone could load some 5.x stats in there to see them.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Nonetheless, I'm OK with merging this
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Do I merge my own or is it better for someone else to do it
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm waiting for another +1 here... but, after that, it's fine to merge on your own. It'd need cherry-picking to master too (I believe)
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> My confidence in my ability to judge changes to the Solr stuff is low.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger care to give this a quick spin so we can merge?
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> hmm... does it need a spin?
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> it needs another +1 at least...I only see one on that PR
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, well, we are running short on time here. I'd simply like to see another review/test on this...and then I think it's fine to go in
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll leave it at that though, and hopefully we can get this moved forward later today/tomorrow (before update on demo)
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It is discouraging to make contributions and provide documentation and not get attention.
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It is. I need to learn more about Solr and how we use it, so I might have something useful to say when it comes up.
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so, I'll make an executive decision here and give it another review & merge (post-mtg). I'd really like to see this resolved too, and it has just been sitting (even from before 6.1)
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we are at the top of the hour here. As noted, next week is a DSpace User Group Meeting (Tues-Weds). I know I'll get to see @terrywbrady and @mwood there, which is nice. We can report back
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd say this meeting will likely be canceled on Aug 23 at 15UTC, unless I hear from others (primarily our European devs, who usually are in the "early" meeting) that they want to hold it.
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'll next talk to most of you in two weeks (unless you will be at Georgetown, in which case, see you there!)
[21:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks all, and let's keep pushing this 6.2 release along as an ASAP release (once we get some extra testing off of demo.dspace.org). My hope is to release around last few days of Aug
[21:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Got to go. Thanks, all!
[21:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> spinning up a 5_x version of DSpace on Vagrant-DSpace
[21:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> (Lugging my Lucene book home to see if I can think of a use for Solr in catching "duplicate" submissions....)
[21:07] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> DCAT Members, The DSpace development team has addressed a handful of tickets in the DSpace core code related to database connections. This code affects nearly every interaction with DSpace, so there is a need to test and verify many components of DSpace. These changes will be included in a DSpace 6.2 release. The development team will deploy a preview of these changes to demo.dspace.org for system tes
[21:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> participation in this test if you can provide a couple hours of system testing during the week of Aug 21. If you need ideas on how to test the system, see the notes from the DSpace 6.0 testathon: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Testathon+Page If you encounter any issues, you can report them to dev in Slack or to dspace-tech@googlegroups.com. Thanks, terrywbrady
[21:08] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.0 Testathon Page - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Testathon+Page
[21:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> My prior message contains the text that I propose sending to DCAT. Let me know if you have suggestions.
[21:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : Looks good! Thanks! One minor tweak...they could use tech-support on Slack (as that's more equivalent to 'dspace-tech', and a channel they may more likely already be on, or should know about)
[21:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, and might want to link to where to join Slack again: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Slack (Been trying to get the word out, but I'm pretty sure a lot of folks aren't in here yet)
[21:10] <kompewter> [ Slack - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Slack
[21:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> beyond that, looks great to me
[21:11] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[21:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Message posted in dcat and sent by e-mail.
[21:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : just to clarify your note above about vagrant-dspace, are you in the process of testing DSPR#1782?
[21:22] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1782 ] - [DS-3602] Ensure Consistent Use of Legacy Id in Usage Queries by terrywbrady ¡ Pull Request #1782 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[21:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> yes
[21:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> well... heh, looks like I can stop
[21:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks! If you find it ready, please go ahead and merge (and cherry-pick to master)... or ping me, and I'll do it first think tomorrow
[21:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> No, if you have time to do a quick test today, please continue...I don't want to stop you. Just wanted to clarify
[21:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> ok, yeah, I'll proceed, the damage is already done to my Vagrant-DSpace (i.e. already destroyed and rebuilt with 5x
[21:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks! much appreciated. As mentioned, please merge at will (if it looks good)...or ping me and I'll do it ;)
[21:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I always forget about ENV properties files

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.