#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-08-30

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:52] -moon.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:52] -moon.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:52] -moon.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:52] -moon.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:52] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:52] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:52] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:06] * DSpaceSlackBot1 (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[12:07] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (*.net *.split)
[12:07] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[12:11] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[12:12] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:45] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[15:40] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[15:50] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[16:07] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:08] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[19:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder that we have our weekly DSpace DevMtg (primarily covering 6.x maintenance) coming up at the top of the hour. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-08-30
[19:43] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-08-30 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-08-30
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @here: it's DSpace DevMtg time. The agenda is posted above. Let's do a quick role call here to see who is joining us today via Slack or IRC
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> [wakes up]
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> here
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> While others are waking up, I'll just note the reminder in the agenda. Our next DSpace 7 WG meeting is tomorrow at 15UTC (11am ET), as usual...via Google Hangouts again
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, so at least a few of us here. I'll move forward assuming that others will catch up / wake up shortly and/or read the logs later
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> To kick things off, I wanted to mention that the DSpace North American User Group (at Georgetown) last week (Aug 22-23) was a wonderful success. Thanks to @terrywbrady and the many other organizers at Georgetown for hosting us
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> We were excited to have such great participation from the community
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> If you haven't seen (and maybe we should like these up somewhere else or post them to the lists), @terrywbrady has gathered all the talks/notes/resources from the user group at https://github.com/terrywbrady/dspaceUserMeeting/blob/master/README.md
[20:04] <kompewter> [ dspaceUserMeeting/README.md at master · terrywbrady/dspaceUserMeeting · GitHub ] - https://github.com/terrywbrady/dspaceUserMeeting/blob/master/README.md
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Please post wherever you think this will be useful.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, if you missed out, or want to review what we talked about, it looks like all the slidedecks are there, lots of notes, and even video from the Angular 2 tutorial!
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: I think we should advertise the resources on lists... I can always talk to Mic about whether he'd be willing to post a summary or if he'd rather I did
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Moving along to the main topic for today (and for several weeks now)....getting 6.2 out the door
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'll admit, I've not been able to concentrate myself on this over the last few weeks, but to me it seems like we seem to be down to resolving DS-3680 / DSPR#1830
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3680 ] - [DS-3680] Database changes of consumers aren&#39;t persisted anymore - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1830 ] - DS-3680: Database changes of consumers aren&#39;t persisted anymore by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1830 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> It sounds like @hpottinger has been testing this... and I know @pbecker did testing as well
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> yes, it's running on our staging server
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Looking at the ticket descriptions, I am curious if this ticket should also be considered https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3636 since it relates to hibernate.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I mostly have been waiting on verification that it doesn't reintroduce any of the tickets we *just* resolved in 6.x branch
[20:10] <kompewter> [ [DS-3636] Performance fixes : Indexing and caching - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3636
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3636 ] - [DS-3636] Performance fixes : Indexing and caching - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> We've been batch loading this staging server. so that works
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : So, on your test server you've been re-testing DS-3648?
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3648 ] - [DS-3648] XMLUI Batch Import Failure - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'm just trying to verify what test's you've run, @hpottinger.... It's good to hear it sounds stable, but it's unclear if you've retested recent fixes
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> and the event system is something we use... yes, the branch I have bee testing is rebased on the latest upstream dspace-6_x branch
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> so, the tests have been mostly "cherry pick the commits for 1830, and wait for any complaints to roll in"
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> so far, no complaints, and they *are* using this repository
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : That's still a bit unclear for my purposes (sorry to be dense). I wanted to verify we haven't reintroduced the exact bugs identified in DS-3648 and DS-3656 (just cause this PR reverts changes made to fix those tickets). @pbecker already retested 3656... have you retested 3648 then?
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3648 ] - [DS-3648] XMLUI Batch Import Failure - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3656 ] - [DS-3656] DOIOrganiser CLI does not change the database anymore - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> oh, no, I don't use DOIs on anything yet, and wouldn't on a staging server
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'm asking about 3648 ;) XMLUI batch import.... that has not yet been retested by anyone, unless you are retesting it
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> yes, 3648 *has* been tested and confirmed working
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'm just trying to nail down what "I've been testing these commits" means in your comments. You didn't mention *how* you've been testing it.
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, good to hear then!
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, that all said, it sounds like DSPR#1830 is ready to merge, unless anyone has objections / last minute concerns?
[20:18] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1830 ] - DS-3680: Database changes of consumers aren&#39;t persisted anymore by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1830 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Not hearing anything, so, I'll go ahead and merge this PR & cherry-pick to master after this meeting is through.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> I've updated my comment on the PR to be a bit less terse, only a bit
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : I've added an additional comment calling out 3648 by name ;)
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> yay!
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> just today I was testing something else and re-cherry-picked these commits to that branch, so we could keep testing... still not complaints, but I look forward to not having to carry these along
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Sorry to be have been picky on this, but as these have been thorny issues, I really want to be certain we are testing the proper 'scenarios' that we encountered these bugs in previously
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, so with 1830 ready to go...that brings up the questions of "are we ready for 6.2?" and "Is there anything else to include?"
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I saw above that @terrywbrady mentioned DS-3636
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3636 ] - [DS-3636] Performance fixes : Indexing and caching - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I just added a review/block on the associated PR.
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> The PR is creating indexes that would be very inefficient.
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> But, I have to admit, I'm very hesitant to merge a "performance fix" without more testing...that was the issue we encountered in 6.1 (which we are fixing now in 6.2)
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> And, this "performance fix" again adds DB migrations...which would mean it'd trigger another *full reindex* when sites upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2. So, we'd have to ask if this is worth it
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Thoughts on all this?
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> We need to find out if this is still relevant.
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, in that case, I say that's a "we don't wait for this" answer... we move forward with 6.2 as planned
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Yes.
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> And thanks @terrywbrady for adding your thoughts into the PR
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, back to the other question here. Once we merge 1830 (last remaining PR), should we move to an immediate 6.2 release? Do we want to delay for any other reason, or feel we need more testing on demo.dspace.org (or similar)?
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Did we receive any feedback on the demo.dspace.org deployment?
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I would feel better with more people hitting these patches on demo for a few days, but would they?
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I did not see comments in dcat or in the group email.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I did not hear anything about testing on demo.dspace.org. Not sure if that request was heard or not
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I would be happy to re-post the request. What is the extended deadline?
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> The way demo resets, it'd blow up if something was broken, right?
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Demo would only "blow up" if AIP backup/restore was broken...and that wasn't broken in 6.1 either.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> If we are going to repost the request, we should ensure demo.dspace.org gets updated (again) with 1830 PR changes.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> welll... meddling with the context could blow up all kinds of things...
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> I agree, though, it can't hurt to ask again
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, we could simply schedule 6.2 about a week out....set that release date, and give dcat (and others) one last opportunity to bang on demo
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> sounds good to me
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @mwood are you still willing to cut the 6.2 release? Any day next week look good for you? Maybe Thurs (7th) or Fri (8th)?
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Checking...
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Or even early the following week, e.g. Mon (11th)
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Thursday or Friday would work for me.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <hpottinger> woot!
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Aim for Thurs then? Have a backup of Fri?
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> OK, will add that to my calendar.
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, I can merge 1830 today and push an update to demo.dspace.org.
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady can you ask dcat again for testing? and let them know we plan to release 6.2 on/around Thurs, Sept 9th (unless we hear of issues)
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Will do. Hopefully we will get some volunteer testing.
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, hopefully. I'd also say let's post the request to general and dev. It doesn't have to *just* be DCAT testing things... anyone is welcome to bang on demo.dspace.org in the next week
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> And I'll let you all know as soon as demo.dspace.org is updated/ready
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Last week, I promised to create a 5.8 release to include a fix for the imagemagick filter.
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> It will be my first time to create a release. I presume we do not need it to be generated on the same day as the 6.2 release.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> correct, it has no real relation to 6.2, so it doesn't need to be on the same timelines. We only do simultaneous releases for things like security fixes or major issues that affect multiple releases
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, 5.8 can wait until you are ready, and you can even wait to watch 6.2 if you want
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> @mwood , could I shadow you in a web meeting to observer the process for 6.2?
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Yes, if I can figure out how that works.
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> It would be good if 5.8 would be released before 6.2
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> If you tell me the time, I will be glad to handle the web meeting. I know that part :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> OK, I'll be in touch.
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> The order is the order they show up on github.
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Or at least the release must be published on github in the right order.
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> IIRC maven creates a "draft" or something on gh and we still have to finalize it.
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> Btw: hello everyone, sorry for being late.
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I don't recall if there's a way to tell GitHub to list a specific release first (no matter the date of the release)
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I just now looked and did not find one. It *should* have one....
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> As far as I remember they just take the order in which you release it.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> So if we'd release 5.8 before 6.2 all should be fine
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> That'd just require someone walking @terrywbrady through a release then...since he volunteered for 5.8, provided that he could watch 6.2 process/procedure
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22822586/swap-latest-release-on-github
[20:49] <kompewter> [ git - Swap "Latest release" on github - Stack Overflow ] - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22822586/swap-latest-release-on-github
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, we can release 5.8 whenever...doesn't matter...but I think we'd owe it to @terrywbrady to help him out then
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> @terrywbrady any date for the release?
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> A minute ago I planned ot do it after I watched the 6.2 process.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> If 5.8 goes first, I'm usually around to help.
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> 5.8 is a single bug fix (but an important one for thumbnail media filters). So, it's ready to go whenever individuals can find time to release it.
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Is there a date that someone could pair with @terrywbrady on the release process?
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> @terrywbrady You are all set up with access to the DSpace release stream at Sonatype?
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I will target this Friday.
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> @mwood , I do not know what that means. Sorry
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> My Friday is clear except 0945-1000 EDT.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> OK, I will send you a meeting invite and plan to read the instructions beforehand.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> We will have to get @terrywbrady setup with Sonatype permissions prior to that then. @terrywbrady you'll need to sign up for an account. See: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-VerifyReleasePrivileges
[20:53] <kompewter> [ Release Procedure - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-VerifyReleasePrivileges
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Sonatype needs to know that you are allowed to release DSpace.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> (Look specifically at #2 and #3 on that list)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <pbecker> As we don't have much common working time this Friday in cause of timezones, you'll have to ping me. But please do so when you start and I see if I can drop in here.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'm out this Friday...but I can help with the Sonatype Acct permissions setup, once @terrywbrady creates an acct (assuming that happens tomorrow)
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Thanks for the help offers. I am creating the Sonatype login now.
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like we have a plan then
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> While we've been talking, I've merged/cherry-picked DSPR#1830...and I'm currently deploying it on demo.dspace.org
[20:58] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1830 ] - DS-3680: Database changes of consumers aren&#39;t persisted anymore by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1830 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, that should be ready to go shortly too (to announce again to dcat, etc)
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Are there any last topics/questions here to clarify/note? It sounds like we have a plan here for 5.8 (on Fri by @terrywbrady and @mwood and whoever is around) and 6.2 (Thurs, Sept 7 by @mwood) after more testing on demo.dspace.org (to be requested by @terrywbrady)
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> And that's a mouthful ;)
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I have nothing to add.
[21:03] * DSpaceSlackBot1 (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:04] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:15] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady (and all). The demo.dspace.org site has now been updated with the latest code (i.e. the recently merged PR 1830 fix). So, it's ready for testing again.
[21:24] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.