#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-09-20

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:31] -weber.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:31] -weber.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:31] -weber.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:32] -weber.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:32] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:32] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:32] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:12] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:36] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Reminder that our weekly DSpace DevMtg starts in about an hour (at 15UTC / 11am EDT) here. Agenda at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-09-20 As today's agenda is light, we'll have time for open discussion and/or some ticket/PR reviews. So, bring anything you'd like to discuss.
[14:03] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have a meeting conflict. I will join later if I am able.
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome. It's DSpace DevMtg time. Agenda is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-09-20
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As I'm aware there's some conflicts today (DSpace Germany User Group is this week for example), I'd like to do a brief roll call to see who is here today.
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Hi
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> (lurking)
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we have a few folks...small group today though, but maybe it's the conflicts catching up with us today
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The agenda is light today (as mentioned previously). Are there specific topics those <here> would like to discuss today?
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, not hearing anything. One option here is to look towards JIRA / PRs and do some reviews for today. (I feel we are too few to discuss larger topics)
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK. (I need to study "DSpace Database Access" before ranting again on that topic.)
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we do have a small backlog of "Received" tickets we could discuss here then and move them forward. https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=10152&jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Received%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20ASC%2C%20key%20DESC
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> starting at DS-3672
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (hmmm...no kompewter to give me links)
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3672
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This seems related to the broader topic of the Database Database Access
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes. There's another ticket on the authority indexer, for instance. We have a number of these, likely.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's a worthwhile ticket, but it may first require some more planning. Still, maybe this should move along to "Needs Volunteer"
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> If it's worth doing, then "needs volunteer" it is.
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I admit, I think it's worth *investigating*. Not sure whether it's worth *doing* yet. I think this is investigatory first, then a proposal for how to solve (as necessary)
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll clarify that in a comment. As-is, I'm not sure this ticket is quite "actionable", but it's something we could use a volunteer to move forward and dig into
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I agree.
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Related to DS-3681?
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3681
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> They are loosely related perhaps, but I think 3681 is also about the fact that the AuthorityIndexer code is quite dense and requires refactoring to even clarify it
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> moving along on our list: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3679
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Huh, is this simply saying these options should be commented out in dspace.cfg?
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Looks like the test should be for not-empty.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, this sounds like a bug...not sure though if the test should change, or the default configuration should
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, it seems like something that could be quickly fixed via a small PR
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> "Sounds like a bug" -> needs volunteer.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes, needs volunteer, low-hanging fruit.
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> flagged as such
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3686
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I've seen this sort of thing in the XMLUI before. But, I don't have enough recent experience in JSPUI
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Needs further investigation.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> "needs more info" then?
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I hadn't seen that it's JSPUI. I wondered *where* the caching is happening, but with Cocoon out of the picture, it seems to be the browser.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Anyway it should be looked into.
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Aha, I was able to just reproduce on demo site. Not sure where the caching is either...could be that the page isn't telling the browser to reload or something
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll flag as needs volunteer and add in reproduce details
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Hello... joining late
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Sounds right.
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Welcome!
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> flagged as needs volunteer
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> and added a comment
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3662
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> huh... a lot of info here that ends in a "solution" (but looks like we need a PR for it)
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'll flag as needs volunteer and ask for a PR from Jakub (if he's willing).
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I feel like I encountered a similar issue a while back that may have been "resolved" by re-ordering my auth methods. I will hunt around and see if I can fine a related ticket.
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will post to jira if I find something
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> updated ticket & asked for a PR
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3690
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Huh, and I thought we solved this one in both XMLUI and JSPUI. I guess not. Sounds like a "Needs Volunteer", since I trust Pascal's assessment here
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> updated
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3691
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Seems reasonable, though this is also loosely related to the fact we need to upgrade Solr (and extract it as an external dependency): https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3695
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It would be good to confirm that this change works well for languages other than english
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds right. Still, sounds like a needs volunteer to me
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Since I have a fix, I will volunteer
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I assigned the ticket to myself
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> sounds good. Thanks, @terrywbrady
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3692
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Huh, this is news to me. Do we need to replace it with anything else?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> There's no urgency yet, but I was surprised by the news and wanted to capture it.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> No, I think we can just use the native DataCite provider.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, I see, it's being replaced by DataCite, which we already support
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, there really is no "urgency", considering anyone who uses EZID can just switch to the DataCite provider (whenever they need to). If the code sits around a bit after that, no big deal...but eventually we should remove it just to declutter
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I suppose that we EZID sites may presume that DataCite will contact us with particulars about credentials, timeline, and the like.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd assume so :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> updated ticket
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3693
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, this one has a PR already. It should be moved to "code review needed". It also seems like a reasonable change to me
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1838
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And it looks like @terrywbrady added himself as a PR reviewer, which is good to see
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok, updated ticket
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3694
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This sounds like something we should do in 7.0...as there's a lot of changes here. But, they sound reasonable
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think this started as discussion on dspace-tech.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yes, I recall seeing that at some point
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, I say we flag as "needs volunteer". This would be nice to cleanup on "master" (no need to backport though) if someone has an interest.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, it's a pet peeve of mine, and I haven't contributed much to 7, so I'll take it.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, thanks! I had just flagged as volunteer needed & added a comment. But, feel free to claim it, @mwood
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And last but not least: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3695
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one seems important for 7.0, as the version of Solr we are embedding is EOL. However, we'd need someone to spend time investigating what we'd have to change in our code to support the current version of Solr (which would be an external dependency now)
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We do need to catch up with Solr.
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I'll take this one
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady! That'd be awesome!
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> My suspicion here is that we might even be able to completely drop the "dspace-solr" DSpace module, and move to requiring Solr be installed as an external dependency
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (this is also noted in the comments...and I'm glad to be pinged for feedback on this as needed)
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so we've made it through our entire (small) backlog of "Received" tickets, and with just a few minutes to spare
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I am not entirely sure what will be involved, so I will ask for help as I need it.
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Please do.
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As we are nearly out of time, I'm not going to add in any additional topics for today. Just a friendly reminder that we have our usual, weekly DSpace 7 Working Group meeting tomorrow at 15UTC
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I have a Solr 6 running as a separate boot-time service, just to play with, so I may be able to talk about that aspect.
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Not integrated with DSpace.
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we'll close up the meeting for today. Thanks for helping clean up our JIRA backlog! Hopefully next week we can get a report back from the DSpace Germany User Group (going on now)
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> User Group meeting is tomorrow. I hope I make it to the meeting next week (a late one).
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker: aha, thanks for correcting me! Good luck on the user group!
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll add a comment to the EZID ticket.
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tdonohue thank you.
[19:14] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:41] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.