#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-11-01

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:38] -hobana.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:38] -hobana.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:38] -hobana.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:38] -hobana.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:38] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:38] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:38] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:25] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:29] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Reminder our weekly DSpace DevMtg is here at the top of the hour (~25 mins). Agenda is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-11-01
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DSpace DevMtg time! Our agenda is light today, but is linked above (:point_up:). We should have time for other topics as well (as most of what is above is updates)
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Before we get started, let's do a quick roll call to see who is here today...
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> :wave:
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> :wave:
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it's looking like we are a tiny group today. Well, I'm hoping others will join up as we talk...otherwise we can wrap up early if we run out of topics :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We have a few brief reminders. Tomorrow at 15UTC is the next DSpace 7 meeting.
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The second DSpace Entities Working Group meeting occurred last week (it was recorded if you want to watch it later): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2017-10-27+DSpace+Entities+WG+Meeting+Notes
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The next meeting of the DSpace Entities group won't be till the end of Nov (Weds, Nov 22 at 15UTC) cause of scheduling conflicts coming up
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> From the DSpace 7 team, I do have one topic that I want this group to be aware of. There's work to do a *minor refactor of the submission configs* (item-submission.xml and input-forms.xml) coming into DSpace 7
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This work is happening to make building a REST API on those configs easier to achieve...and the work is happening in two places:
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 1) https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/11 (discussion of REST endpoints)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 2) https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1852 (code to achieve those REST endpoints)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> FYI, :wave: I'm here
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The refactoring of these configs will be automated (by a script) in the DSpace 7 upgrade process. But, right now we're working out the final design.... it's mostly about refactoring the `item-submission.xml` into a new `submission-definitions.xml`
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> The pull request is huge.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, it is huge. Unfortunately some of the DSpace 7 work is hard to break up into "small pieces". I'm not expecting everyone to review this in great detail...but, I want folks to be aware of the work happening here.
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And I'm realizing that the PR itself doesn't document the changes very well... (i.e. we need a place that better describes the changes to these configs @bollini)
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Joining late from an alternate computer... the DSpace Slack services is not responding on my primary machine
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> These new REST endpoints are better documented though: 1) https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/blob/master/submissiondefinitions.md (replaces item-submission.xml) 2) https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/blob/master/submissionsections.md (replaces the idea of one "step" in item-submission.xml) 3) https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/blob/master/submissionforms.md (replaces input-forms.xml)
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> At this point it's probably most important just to be aware that the submission configuration is changing.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> :+1:
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Correct. That's the most important part. The secondary point is that it's mostly *minor* renaming of the configuration files. We are NOT doing a complete "overhaul", but we need to refactor slightly to be able to turn these existing configs into REST endpoints
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It may be easier to review commit-by-commit, since there are so many.
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it will look familiar...but slightly different names, and XML structure
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That was the main thing I wanted to bring to this meeting from the DSpace 7 work. It's just worth being aware that this is an area where we need to tweak the existing configs in order to build a proper REST API for DSpace 7
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It might be helpful to produce an updated version of the documentation for submission configuration, that can be read side-by-side with the old and compared.
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Once the new format is settled, that is.
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We will need the updated documentation anyway.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, agreed. Currently the best docs are the REST endpoint docs here...but even those are not gonna be 100% clear to folks who haven't been in discussions thus far.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along here for now....
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We have a few carryover topics on code mgmt tools. The only one I really wanted to touch on today was this PR: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1865
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This PR only makes POM changes to produce code/test coverage reports. I'm planning on merging this ASAP, but wanted to be sure no one has last minute objections
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> None.
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And I just saw @hpottinger +1'd the PR. Thanks!
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Happy to help, this is an area of fascination for me.
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And with that, I've merged it ;)
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I don't have any other updates on the Code Mgmt discussions...the Code Style Guide brainstorms are still up for comment though: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=90967266
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (But, I haven't had time to move the Code style discussions forward since last week...so nothing new there)
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That was it for actual *topics* on today's agenda.
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Were their any other topics / tickets / ideas of interest to those in attendance today?
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> There are a few open issues, that are only waiting for Code Review. Maybe we can advice everybody to look at it?
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> sure, did you have specific tickets in mind, @sulfrian? If so, I'd recommend linking them in here
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> For example DS-3724 or DS-3682 (easy ones) or DS-3681.
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3724
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3682
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3681
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Do we have any volunteers here to do some code reviews of these tickets? The first few do look pretty obvious overall
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> With DS-3681, I like the idea...but I wonder if this should also be reviewed by @bollini or @lap82, as this refactor could potentially conflict with DSpace 7 work
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> 3724 looks correct to me. But my DTD experience is slight.
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> The first two seems to be missing in the "Needs Code Review" list in the agenda. Do not know, what the filter is exactly. Maybe the "fixed in version" field is missing for the tickets.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Heh, I actually rewrote that DTD as an XML Schema some time ago.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @sulfrian, it is handy to have a full URL to a PR listed in the Jira ticket. It makes it easier to link between the ticket and the PR.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> The PR is referenced on the right under Development.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I wasn't yet logged into Jira...
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yep, unfortunately in Jira that "Development" section only appears if you are logged in. I've never found a way to make it appear to anonymous users (seems to not yet be possible)
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 3682 seems like it's just minor testing (in XMLUI). 3724 looks right to me too
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> RE: 3681, I pinged @bollini and @lap82 in the PR to get their opinions. I think this should be good, but want to be sure it doesn't conflict with in progress DSpace 7 work
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If anyone is able to look at / spend time on 3682 and/or 3724 though it'd be appreciated. My code review time is a bit lacking this week, and I've had to concentrate that limited code review time in the DSpace 7 realm as of late
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there other tickets needing more eyes, or any other topics/questions that others would like to discuss? We have 15-20mins left
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I may have asked before, but: might it be worthwhile to submit a patch to make DOI generation configurable on/off per Collection? (It also introduces a way to add default metadata to new Collections, and is perhaps the first use of MetadataForAll on container objects.)
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> "DOI generation...per Collection". Are you talking about generating DOIs *for* Collections? Or simply having different DOI configs for Items, based on which Collection they are submitted to?
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (Just want to be sure I understand the point here)
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> A new item entering Collection A gets a generated DOI; one entering Collection B does not.
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok. Just checking. That seems reasonable to me, and something worth investigating. Not sure what it'd take though.
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> I may work on the collection/community metadata interface, too. I think it would be good to remove at least the hard coded property names and use the already available constants everywhere.
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> Maybe we even should remove the methods using the legacy property names and use the metadata fields directly.
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> But the usage of the constants should be a non-breaking change.
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @sulfrian: Both are good ideas...but I'd encourage not doing "breaking changes" (or frankly any larger refactor) without considering the DSpace 7 efforts.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I don't think those would negatively affect Dspace 7 efforts...but I'd hate for you to do a bunch of refactors on DSpace 6.x, and have those get thrown out in DSpace 7 (cause of a separate, conflicting refactor)
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> Yes, breaking changes would be definitely something for DSpace 7.
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Currently, we do *not* yet have community/collection metadata edit REST Endpoints designed for DSpace 7 work...But, I'd anticipate that when we do those designs & code changes, that team also may be looking at ways to simplify/refactor the API (perhaps in similar ways to what you are noting)
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I think we all need to be aware that we don't want to do larger refactors without input of DSpace 7 team. Otherwise, there is a risk that the refactor work will be "left behind" if it doesn't align with the new REST API efforts
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Fortunately I haven't written the UI patches for these new fields yet. (I had to hack together a completely separate GUI because a third-party add-on overlays the XMLUI classes I'd need to modify.)
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, honestly, we also welcome *anyone* to join the DSpace 7 team. If you want to help with larger refactors needed to "feed" a new REST API, we'd love that help.
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Before we run out of time, I am still seeking reviewers for 3 PR's. There following page contains all of details you will need to test the functionality. https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Our next DSpace/IIIF call is scheduled for Nov 3, 2017 at 1500 UTC: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=90966793
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: Yes, please take a look at @terrywbrady's REST Report tools (linked above)! These would be good to move along
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Since we are now at a "lull" in discussion, I'm going to refrain from calling any new topics. I have a DSpace Steering Mtg immediately following this (in 4 mins)
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we'll wrap up the meeting now. Thanks for the discussion all! And please help with code reviews if you have time!
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Quick note: I've been asked to look at bibliographic *export*, of which there are several submissions that seem to have stalled over the years.
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @sulfrian, I approved 1 PR, asked for more info for the 2nd one. I did not take on the 3rd one (the refactor) since I am not really familiar with the authority indexer process.
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:51] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.