#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-11-08

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:49] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:49] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:49] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:49] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:26] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:35] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DSpace DevMtg time already! (An hour earlier for those of us in North America who've left daylight savings)
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Today's agenda is quite light, but it's at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-11-08
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-11-08 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-11-08
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> First up though, I'd like to do a quick roll call to see who is here & paying attention (either on IRC or Slack)
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Here.
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> We had a good conversation about IIIF/DSpace last week: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=90966793
[20:02] <kompewter> [ IIIF/DSpace Meeting Nov 3, 2017 at 1500 UTC - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=90966793
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Hi.
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: great to hear! :tada:
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> On our end, we have done some interesting prototyping of IIIF manifests using content that we store in DSpace: https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/testManifests/blob/master/Gallery.md
[20:03] <kompewter> [ testManifests/Gallery.md at master · Georgetown-University-Libraries/testManifests · GitHub ] - https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/testManifests/blob/master/Gallery.md
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Did you want to kick us off with a quick summary of the IIIF meeting? (update: it looks like you are already doing so, please continue)
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Just putting the links out there for folks who are curious. No additional conversation unless folks have questions
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Is there runnable code that others could play with locally? or is that coming in the future (once experimentation shows things are "working decently")
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I see there are a few Java classes there...so perhaps that's "good enough" until this moves beyond "experiment" ;)
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot1> Action: tom_desair enters the meeting
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> At the point, it is just showing what is possible within a manifest. For now, we plan to keep the integration with DSpace very loose. If a manifest file is found in the metadata bundle, we will provide a link to open it up in the Universal Viewer.
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> That sounds nice. I hate sites that demand I use a specific viewer, but if I have a choice....
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Looks/sounds cool. Glad to see this IIIF integration work moving forward! It'll be nice to see this eventually make its way back into DSpace core (but I realize that still may be a bit of a ways off)
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I am eager to get to a point where we have some content publicly available. It will be good to get feedback on something more than a screenshot.
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, back to the (light) agenda....
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I don't have any major updates from the DSpace 7 team (next meeting tomorrow though). We've still been working hard on Submission & search functionalities. I will note however that docs have started around tweaking the Submission configs in DSpace 7:
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Configuration+changes+in+the+submission+process
[20:12] <kompewter> [ Configuration changes in the submission process - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Configuration+changes+in+the+submission+process
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> The DSpace 7 team is doing great work, but it's still under-resourced (which has affected how quickly we can move). It's primarily Atmire staff, 4Science staff, William Welling (Texas A&M) and a few other folks who chip in occasionally.
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Still the next goal is to get the Search & Submission work to a demo-able status (hopefully before end of year), so that we can do video demos, etc to try to drum up more excitement & contributions from others
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> That's basically it for my updates. Nothing else to pass along, but always willing to answer questions, hear feedback, etc
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> As for other topics on the agenda, we don't have any other *specific* topics to note today. But, I kept in the usual links to high priority tickets, and a few "ongoing discussion" topics (from weeks past)
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I started testing https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1831/files which I promised to test last week. I am trying to duplicate the original problem in order to validate the fix.
[20:16] <kompewter> [ DS-3682: Fix reusing of the same vocabulary dialog by AlexanderS · Pull Request #1831 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1831/files
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, now might be a good opportunity to ask you all... is there anything else you'd like to discuss today?
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Much of my time has been spent in reviving DS-1224 (export metadata in various bibliographic formats).
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1224 ] - [DS-1224] Export items in various bibliographic formats (as RIS, BibTeX, EndNote, IEEE,...) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I just wanted to note that reviewing DSpace 7 (contract) PRs is also really helpful and a good way to getting to know the code.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I hope to find some more time to contribute to the project later this month.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Yes, agreed. It'd be great (in general) if we could get more folks to review DSpace 7 REST API contract PRs (and/or PRs to master): https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract
[20:18] <kompewter> [ GitHub - DSpace/Rest7Contract: Repository to discuss the new REST API contract for DSpace 7 https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Working+Group ] - https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> We could really use more DSpace 7 PR reviewers, especially on the REST side of things...it's literally mostly been @tom_desair, @bollini and I.
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, that is a place that others could immediately contribute or "dip your toes in" as you find time.
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> looks guilty.
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> No worries, @mwood... but we'd love to have your feedback when you find time
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I would like to work over that submission document, to get started. It could use some editing.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I think the big message here is this is a place where you can really start to learn about the DSpace 7 efforts in more detail (especially if you are a Java person more than an Angular person). If you need help getting started, get in touch!
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, not hearing other folks jumping to topics... I'm just going to add in an "observation" that these DevMtgs seem very *sparsely* attended as of late. I'm hoping its just the time of year, and maybe folks feel 6.x is "working well enough" these days (no fire under them to get out a new release).
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I also do admit though that we have a *lot* of DSpace meetings these days (what with Dspace 7 meetings, etc etc). So, it could also be a "too many meetings" thing
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> That and "not much attention paid to 5/6 right now, and 7 is not yet usable."
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> Speaking of 6.x, maybe we should start defining the (desired) scope of 6.3? I know that @pbecker has a few fixes ready regarding bitstream cleanup. And I also want to look into https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/B8xYiL8bsKI
[20:26] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/B8xYiL8bsKI
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I think there are also some open PRs with Hibernate/DB improvements.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I still hope that the REST report enhancements make it into 6.3: https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md
[20:28] <kompewter> [ restReportTutorial/README.md at master · terrywbrady/restReportTutorial · GitHub ] - https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> So maybe we should compile a list on the wiki or in Jira with a custom filter, and work towards fixing and merging those “priority” tickets.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I agree, 6.3 is a bit unknown right now. I think it basically needs an "owner". I'll admit, in recent weeks/months my time has been split and I haven't had time to devote towards 6.x at all.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> But, yes, a Wiki page is a fine place to start
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> And we won't make you the owner just because you touched it first.
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> So, usually we start with a "Status" page...and just start listing tickets of interest (can even be a simple bulleted list)
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Eventually that Status page turns more into a "release notes" (like this one) https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.2+Status
[20:32] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.2 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.2+Status
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> But, it often starts pretty simple...with a list of tickets and/or an automated, embedded, JIRA querty
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> If we get the tickets assigned to the new release, then the list can be a canned query.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> Ok, I first need to wrap a few in-progress DSpace 7 things, and then I’ll put my DSpace 6 hat back on. Hopefully somewhere next week.
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> The general idea here though is that 6.3 should still be a "mostly bug fix" sort of release. Minor improvements are OK (e.g. I don't see an issue with @terrywbrady's REST report enhancements). But, we should draw the line at new features and/or refactors, unless they somehow align perfectly with 7.0 work
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> And, thanks @tom_desair for bringing this up. I'll gladly chip in on this too in coming weeks where I can.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Oh, speaking of coming weeks. I've completely forgotten that I'm out next week (DuraSpace staff meetings). So, I'll miss this meeting (and all DSpace meetings) next week (Nov 13-17). But, I'll be back the next week (other than USA Thanksgiving holiday Nov 23-24)
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Is there anyone here willing to call/lead this meeting next week (Nov 15 @15UTC)?
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> Action: tdonohue will add the notes on my availability to today's agenda as a reminder
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I should be able to facilitate if nobody else wants it.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I’ll try to compile a list of important tickets/PRs by then so we can discuss the DSpace 6.3 scope as one of the agenda points.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Thanks, @mwood and @tom_desair
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> That would be a good start on a meeting.
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> OK, I have it on my calendar to facilitate next week.
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Thanks again. Much appreciated
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I'll still be on email off & on next week. But, won't be on Slack/IRC as much (if at all). Still, I'll be sure to catch up on the meeting logs later on
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, any other topics for today? It sounds like we have a good plan for next week, so we could close up early if we don't have anything else pressing
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Would it be at all interesting to, say, do a search and then poke a button on the results page to download a BibTeX bibliography of those results? There is interest here.
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> I can confirm that it is a feature that is requested by many institutions (e.g. https://www.research-collection.ethz.ch/discover)
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I'm just wondering how hard to work on making it contributable.
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> I will ask on my end to see what the interest is here
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> I think there would be interest...But, I will note that I *think* I heard of this elsewhere. Trying to remember if this is something @bollini / 4Science has already working and offered to contribute
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> (Or maybe someone else... for some reason 4Science comes to mind here though)
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> There are several issues filed, but they never seemed to get any traction. I'm updating the EKT code.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> And doing the XMLUI frontend, since that's what we use.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, I guess I'd just recommend posting that you are working on this in another public forum (dspace-devel or the JIRA tickets in question). I just want to be sure we aren't doing duplicative work here
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> OK, good point.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> (Though, since I pinged @bollini, he might see this tomorrow and let you know if he has code or not)
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Any last thoughts/topics for today?
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> Have a good week!
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> It would be nice if we can come up with something that is easily portable to DSpace 7. For example: a service that takes as input a `DiscoverQuery` object and an output format, and then generates the desired output. That should be easy to port to DSpace 7 REST.
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Agreed, anything that is built (presumably for DSpace 6) should hopefully keep DSpace 7 in mind
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> Interesting. That might simplify the communication between -api and -XXXui pieces.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> (And that's a general "best practice" for anything into DSpace 6.x going forward anyhow)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tdonohue> Ok, as discussion has slowed here, I'm going to go ahead and close out the official meeting (no new topics). Feel free to continue discussion however (and I'll still be lurking for a bit)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> To start, I'm fitting it onto 5.6, but trying to avoid having to rework later.
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> Since this would be a new service (Spring bean), I don’t think it is a problem if you develop this for DSpace 5.x first.
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> I will look at doing it that way. Thanks!
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <tom_desair> See you next week!
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <mwood> *sigh* If only these scads of methods were documented....
[21:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <bollini> @mwood @tdonohue yes, we have code to export item and items list (from browse or search) in common bibliographic format like bibtex, ris, endnote but also citation string in different styles (APA, Chicago). It requires lot of configuration to be accurate but the infrastructure is very flexible. It is shipped out-of-box with dspace-cris. The entry point to inspect the code is this servlet
[21:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> https://github.com/4Science/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x_x-cris/dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/servlet/ReferencesServlet.java it should be easy to extract it and all the related classes and copy also in a XMLUI. You will only need to add the form to post to the servlet the item IDs to export to reuse it Please note that it is not based on the EKT / BTE work as it was already here when they have contributed
[21:30] <DSpaceSlackBot1> the flexibility of the solution that allow very accurate mapping trough configuration and writing of small extensions called virtual metadata we are never switch to BTE (for the export, it is used for the import of course)
[21:30] <kompewter> [ DSpace/ReferencesServlet.java at dspace-5_x_x-cris · 4Science/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/4Science/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x_x-cris/dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/servlet/ReferencesServlet.java
[21:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <bollini> @terrywbrady @tdonohue @mwood about the IIIF viewer please keep in mind that we have a full fledged solution for dspace able to produce IIIF Manifest on the flight from the item metadata and bitstreams and we will be happy to share to costs to contribute it back to dspace (we already have three institutions that have adopted it and will turn on in production soon). Other than that, in DSpace-CRIS we have inc
[21:34] <DSpaceSlackBot1> plugin external viewers. The viewer is offered to the user depending on the value of a custom metadata at the bitstream level. It is currently used by ours IIIF, Video Streaming addons and the open source CKAN integration
[21:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <bollini> here https://github.com/4Science/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x_x-cris/dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/jsptag/ItemTag.java#L601 is where the viewer framework is invoked in dspace-cris
[21:36] <kompewter> [ DSpace/ItemTag.java at dspace-5_x_x-cris · 4Science/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/4Science/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x_x-cris/dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/jsptag/ItemTag.java#L601
[21:36] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <bollini> I think that we should introduce the concept of viewers in dspace7 out of box (I we have time)
[21:38] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <terrywbrady> @bollini, thanks for the reminder. We are still figuring out how a IIIF viewer will relate to the contents of our repository. Currently, aside from manifest files, we are not certain that the assets we present in IIIF will actually be stored in the repository.
[21:45] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <bollini> I think that both use cases are valuable. In some case the manifest is itself a digital object with a dignity that need to be preserved. I'm talking about use cases where the iiif manifest is used to build reasoned reconstruction of manuscript maybe combining images from different sources or presenting side by side different transcriptions, etc.
[21:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> <bollini> in most case the IIIF Manifest is just a specific format for the metadata, descriptive and structural (sequence and hierarchy of the images). In these case my position is that storing the resulting IIIF Manifest is mostly a waste of time... if you improve the metadata you need to re-edit the manifest, if you replace some images, if you want to update the IIIF version, etc. it is much easier to build such man
[21:48] <DSpaceSlackBot1> librarian to make conversion manually or externally and take care of maintain of the staff in sync (just my 0.01c)
[21:54] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[22:03] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:47] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.