#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-11-15

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:40] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:40] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:40] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:40] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:40] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:40] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:40] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:00] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:37] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[14:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> FYI I’m compiling a list of tickets we can consider for the DSpace 6.3 release on this page: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[14:42] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[14:48] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> <here>: Apologies for the late notice, but our DSpace DevMtg starts in about 3 minutes.
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Tim Donohue is out today. I didn't get an agenda put together, but I expect that it would look quite like last week's.
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> 1500 UTC. Time for the DSpace DevMtg. Who is here today?
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> Hi
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> hi
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I've been slack (no pun intended) and didn't do an agenda, but here is last week's which is rather close: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-11-08
[15:02] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-11-08 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-11-08
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I thought we decided last week to discuss the DSpace 6.3 release scope. I’ve drafted an intial proposal here https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> It might be good if you can take a look and see if there are tickets missing, or if there are tickets which should not be on that list (e.g. scope is to big or not suited for DSpace 6)
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes, let's discuss that. But first, is there anything about DSpace 7 that the wider developer community should know this week?
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tom_desair checks the notes of the last DSpace 7 meeting
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> There is some initial documentation on the submission configuration changes: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Configuration+changes+in+the+submission+process
[15:06] <kompewter> [ Configuration changes in the submission process - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Configuration+changes+in+the+submission+process
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Documentation is good....
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> We also started a discussion on the workspace item endpoint: https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/15
[15:07] <kompewter> [ DS-3743 initial draft of the workspaceitems contract by abollini · Pull Request #15 · DSpace/Rest7Contract · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/15
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> And there are two REST v7 PRs which should not be too hard to understand and review if you are new to the REST v7 API: * Range & ETag header support for bitstream downloads: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1884 * Make list endpoints aware of resource policies: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1879
[15:09] <kompewter> [ DS-3651: Range header support by tomdesair · Pull Request #1884 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1884
[15:09] <kompewter> [ [Ticket DS-3730] make item and bitstream endpoints resourcepolicy aware by Raf-atmire · Pull Request #1879 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1879
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> PR1879 is still under discussion, so it would be good to have some second opinions.
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thank you. Anyone interested in these issues should consider joining in on angular-ui or rest-api and/or the DSpace 7 meetings.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Is there any other discussion of DSpace 7? Or should we move on?
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> DSpace 6.3?
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Ok for me
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> One other thing that ought to be considered for 6.3 is the impending demise of ORCiD protocol v1. We've been putting this off until "later". I'd say that "later" has now arrived.
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> Was there already a concrete date for the shutdown of the old API announced?
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Agreed. I know that there is also a discussion going on with the people of ORCiD. Because the new REST API doesn’t support all the operations we need in DSpace 6 (efficiently).
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> According to this ticket: the end of this year: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447
[15:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:16] <kompewter> [ [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> But since that ticket, DSpace-CRIS also implemented ORCiD v2 support, so another option is to port that implementation to DSpace 6.
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Aha!
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We should jot down as much as we can find about that, in Ds-3447.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Arvo Consulting also made something for ORCiD v2, but not sure if it is open source: http://www.duraspace.org/articles/3168
[15:20] <kompewter> [ DuraSpace | Open technologies for durable digital content ] - http://www.duraspace.org/articles/3168
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thank you. I've added links for both to the ticket.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We ought to have DS-3447 in the 6.3 release status. It is scheduled for 6.3. Is that realistic?
[15:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I can check internally here at Atmire what the status of our development progress is on this and see if hitting 6.3 is realistic.
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, thank you.
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> So, if there is to be a 6.3 release, we need a release team to drive it.
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I can send out a call for volunteers on the -dev and -commit lists.
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Getting more volunteers to help getting DSpace 6 out of the door is a good idea.
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> By the way, thank you @tom_desair for assembling that checklist!
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, I will send out the call.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> You’re welcome. But I hope that everyone who has some time left, can review and test open PRs.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Because currently we have a lot of open PRs.
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> What other aspects of 6.3 are there to discuss here?
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes, we need volunteers to examine and test code. All are welcome!
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I hope that people can take a look at that list and comment on it if issues are missing or should be removed. And then hopefully, we can commit on the DSpace 6.3 scope next week and start working on getting it out of the door as quick as possible.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I see that I have a PR that I need to move out of work-in-progress. :flushed:
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I will review the list.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Thx :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Have we more to say about 6.3?
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Do we also want to go for a 5.9 release? Because there are still some open PRs for DSpace 5.
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> If we don’t plan to merge them, we might better close them.
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We probably need a separate effort for 5_x. I will look over those PRs and try to get discussion started.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> yes I think we just need to decide if we still accept improvements for 5_x or not (other than security fixes).
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Good point. 5_x is "supported" but what do we mean by "support" at this point, when there have already been 8 minor releases?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Perhaps we should look at how to lower barriers to upgrading to 6_x.
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Maybe we should bring up DSpace 5 improvements again on the next meeting when more people are able to attend.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I think most users are still waiting to see if DSpace 6 is stable enough or not
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think you are right.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I've made a note to mention 5_x next week.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> but the longer people wait, the longer it takes for all bugs to be uncovered ;)
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Too true.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Still, I think that the code has settled down quite a bit, and that undiscovered show-stopper bugs are unlikely.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Indeed
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Maybe we can emphasize that with 6.3 (assuming that we still agree it is so).
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> That’s an option yes.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, so I will call for 6.3 RT volunteers. We'll all try to examine the 6.3 release status checklist and shake it down to something to which we can commit, hopefully next week. I'll try to pull together some initial information for discussion of a 5.9 release, and mention that next week. We should think about helping sites move to 6_x.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Anything else in the 6.3 area?
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> No that’s it for me.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Are there other topics we should address? We have about 8 more minutes.
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It's very quiet. Should we wrap up this meeting early?
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> OK
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, meeting adjourned. Thanks to all of you for being here.
[16:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> I have another "quick win" pull request, that could be integrated into 6.3: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1885
[16:04] <kompewter> [ DS-3756: Fix "back" on last page of submission by AlexanderS · Pull Request #1885 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1885
[16:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Please do schedule it for 6.3, then. It is small and simple.
[16:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> Done.
[16:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thank you.
[22:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.