#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-12-06

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:28] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:28] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:28] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:29] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:29] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:29] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:29] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[6:35] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)
[6:37] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[7:01] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[12:34] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[13:12] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:36] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[15:38] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:00] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: Reminder that at the top of the hour (~10mins) is our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-12-06
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hello
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: it's DSpace DevMtg time! Agenda is linked above
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Let's do a quick roll call of who is around today (hi @terrywbrady)
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like some of our usual suspects aren't around today (or are busy). Hopefully they'll pop in shortly...otherwise this may be a brief meeting ;)
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> :raised_hand:
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll go ahead and give a few very brief updates to get things started...
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hi @tom_desair
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (hi @tom_desair, welcome)
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Regarding DSpace 7 updates...not much to pass along. Work is progressing, but the team is small. We are still working primarily on Search & Submission, hoping to see both start to get to a demo-able state by end of year (or early next year)
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We also have folks doing early work on Authentication (thanks to @tom_desair!) and MyDSpace (workflow approvals, etc)...those are in progress as well and/or coming soon after
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> :wave:
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hi @hpottinger
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll also note the DSpace 7 outreach team met briefly today. That group is going to begin compiling a list of DSpace *6* features (in either UI, etc), as a first step to listing the final feature-set of DSpace 7. This list will be used for advertising DSpace 7 features, and also useful in assuring feature-completeness
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That group is hoping to have a rough draft by early January
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Interesting. It would be helpful to see any marked for deprecation and those that are on-target for enhancement in your roadmap
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, The DSpace Entities Group met yesterday... the meeting was recorded (will be posted soon). We dug into the DSpace-CRIS UI to learn more about how to use it from a user perspective. We plan to continue our analysis of which entities to consider adding to DSpace in early Jan
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think that's it for my summaries of meetings ;)
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Was there some recent discussion of curation for DSpace 7?
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> curation tasks? yes..there was some discussion in a ticket
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (looking for it)
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, it was this REST Contract PR (from @tom_desair) which was discussing how to make curation tasks enabled in REST API (and also potentially other CLI tools, where plausible): https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/17
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks. I have had a couple desires for the curation system for a while. With some small extensions, I think it could become a great platform for folks to contribute plugins.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks.
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if you want to provide ideas/feedback to that REST Contract proposal, please do feel free. We welcome anyone looking at these tickets/proposals and providing feedback
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Yes, curation tasks and (some) CLI commands are related. We might “unify” them in the REST endpoint. But they will stay separate in the backend for now.
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Here is a page where I compiled some thoughts. I will see if it makes sense to link it into that PR: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Curation+System+Needs
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Ok thanks for that link, I’ll take a look at it.
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In general, because we are a small team, our goals have been to enable future improvements via the new REST API, but not to necessarily refactor Java API code heavily. We currently don't have time/resources for major refactors in DSpace 7, and are attempting to simply enable those in future releases.
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That said, if new resources jump into the mix, we could consider other changes...but we just have to tighten our scope currently
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> My hope is to propose something that could make things simpler (invoke tasks from REST), but that could be idealistic.
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> oh, we will need to invoke tasks from REST. As the UI includes a way to invoke tasks already, in order to achieve that in DSpace 7, curation tasks *must* be invoke-able via REST
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, that's very much in scope. Our scope is just limited to "what is currently in a DSpace 6 UI"
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Back to the agenda, I don't have anything else specific to pass along from the DSpace 7 team. It sounds like there are no additional questions either... In general though, I welcome these questions/comments in these meetings, in Slack or via GitHub.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving on to DSpace 6.3 release planning: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll admit, I've had no time to devote to DSpace 6.x recently (and likely won't until next year at the earliest). I support this 6.3 effort, but will likely have to do so mostly from the sidelines.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Since most of my DSpace 7 work is currently in a final state, I do plan to start testing and reviewing 6.3 tickets this week or next week.
[20:30] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:30] * jonathangee (~jonathang@li1037-16.members.linode.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:31] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:31] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:31] * mtj_ (~mtj@kohaaloha.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:31] * helix84 (~ctenar@unaffiliated/helix84) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:31] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[20:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[20:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[20:32] -wilhelm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[20:32] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[20:32] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[20:32] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I imagine that a style guide will generate an engaged (vs controversial) discussion and folks will be happy for clarity.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I'm trying to draft a style guide proposal, but turning that into a PR is a bit of a chicken & egg thing (I don't want to turn the style guide into code/validation until we have an agreed on style guide)
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The current (very recent) rough draft style guide is here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=90967266#CodeStyleGuide(WIP)-ProposedDSpaceJavaStyleGuide(work-in-progress-notyetapproved)
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And I'm proposing several changes from our current guide (all the new changes are bolded, and the old style guide is above that new proposal)
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> This looks very sensible to me
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> My suspicion is most of this will not be controversial, except for possibly the K&R Style braces rule. But, early feedback is welcome ;)
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> hi all
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, I do plan to also bring this to the dspace-devel list for feedback there. My goal was to try and follow current Java best practices (and how IDEs tend to come pre-configured), and also borrowed basic rules from Google and/or Fedora repo
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I see that it applies only to java classes. Perhaps after this is approved, it might be useful to add a js style guide.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hi @kshepherd
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We already have some strict JS style guides applied to dspace-angular. They were part of the reason for pushign this on the Java side too.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Good to hear
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Though we *do* need to better document the JS style guide...it's mostly in code checks to validate PRs right now.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It sounds like there are no comments/feedback on this right now....so, perhaps I'll simply bring this to dspace-devel, and we can revisit this next week (and/or after the holidays)
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Speaking of the holidays, I'll note that we *will* have a meeting next week, Weds, Dec 13. However, I'll be out of the office from Dec 18-Jan 2. So, I'm anticipating next week being the last meeting of this year (unless others want to run an informal meeting on Dec 20)
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's all the topics I had for today. Are there any others that anyone here wishes to discuss?
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> The old style guide refers to “Sun Java Code conventions”. Do we plan on keeping those?
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/codeconvtoc-136057.html
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> There are some good rules in their that I would like to have checked automatically, like * if statements always use braces, {} * Avoid using an object to access a class (static) variable or method. Use a class name instead. * Avoid assigning several variables to the same value in a single statement.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> No, we'd be leaving those behind. We never really followed them anyhow, and obviously Sun no longer exists (and therefore those guides are no longer maintained)
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> So any rules that I think we should keep, should be listed explicitly?
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yes, exactly. I'd rather us do that, as it's clear which rules we explicitly check for.
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (Plus it lets us know how to configure CheckStyle to validate all code is following those rules)
[20:47] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In that same wiki page, I linked off to the rules for Google & Fedora Repo as well (both of which also use CheckStyle). So, if there are other rules you'd like to see, please suggest them.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If folks would rather this discussion take place in GitHub, I could create a basic CheckStyle configuration that obeys the rules I've laid out...and then we could comment on the rules as-is and/or suggest addition rules? It's either that, or we do wiki comments
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I prefer the Github checkstyle approach. As it will allow you to test rules which will make them more clear
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> (When I suggested a PR, I was envisioning a simple markdown page)
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We could do it as a simple markdown page (i.e. a README style file)
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> and I think its easier to translate Checkstyle to English, than English to Checkstyle ;)
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll just take a look at what I have time for this week, as I'd like to get this discussion started on dspace-devel this week. I could even do a PR that has *both* a README (to document the rules) and a Checkstyle (to show how they'd be enforced). Keep in mind the Checkstyle will fail any initial checks until we fix the code ;)
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Sure, but most IDE’s offer on-the-fly style checking. So that would allow us to see the impact of rules.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, I'll take this action on. I'll start this on a temporarily branch in DSpace/DSpace, so that others can even take part / help out.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I think Checkstyle rules are defined in an XML document, so we could even combine the README into the style definition file. We put the rationale of each rule as a comment above the rule definition in the XML document.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, it is an XML doc to configure Checkstyle. Examples are at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=90967266#CodeStyleGuide(WIP)-Checkstyleverification
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Just to prevent that the two files go out-of-sync
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'll take this on and get something posted / sent to dspace-devel before the end of the week. We can talk more next week as well, and go over feedback
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's it for today. I didn't have anything else to discuss. So, I guess we'll close up the meeting a few minutes early
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As noted, we *will* meet next week (Dec 15 at 15UTC). That is likely to be the last meeting of the year.
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Talk to you next week! (Dec 13 that is)
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> congrats and welcome @tom_desair :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Thx :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> On a side note, I shared our progress prototyping with IIIF and DSpace. If you are interested, here is my presentation: https://gitpitch.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/testManifests#/
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i won't be seeing y'all at 4am NZT so i guess i'll see you in 2018, have a good ${holiday}, new year, etc
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Enjoy the holidays @kshepherd!
[22:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.