#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-01-24

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[5:23] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[5:23] * DSpaceSlackBot2 (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] -weber.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:51] -weber.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:51] -weber.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:51] -weber.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:51] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:51] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:35] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[13:20] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:47] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> <here>: Reminder that our weekly DSpace DevMtg starts at the top of the hour (~14 mins) here. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-01-24
[14:47] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-01-24 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-01-24
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DevMtg time. As usual, let's do a quick roll call to see who is joining us via Slack or IRC.
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Hi
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tom_desair> Hi
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> Here, coding, but I can see you all typing
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> hello
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Sounds like we have at least a mini-quorum ;) I'll go ahead and get started with a few quick updates from other meetings
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> First off, I'll note the DSpace Entities WG had its most recent meeting last week (Jan 19). Meeting notes & recorded video/audio is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2018-01-19+DSpace+Entities+WG+Meeting+Notes
[15:02] <kompewter> [ 2018-01-19 DSpace Entities WG Meeting Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2018-01-19+DSpace+Entities+WG+Meeting+Notes
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> The discusion of this Entities WG is starting to get into the realm of what changes are necessary in the DSpace data model...whether that's new entities (People, Orgs), or even talking enhanced metadata (actually typing fields, etc).
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, if you are interested in data model changes, I'd highly encourage tracking or attending these meetings going forward...they are open to anyone attending. They are also all recorded to watch later.
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> The next meeting is TBD, but there's a Doodle poll posted on the entities-wg channel in Slack
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Personally, I think this WG is starting to move into plotting a RoadMap for DSpace to become a more "modern" repository, so I do hope that others will join this discussion, as it's shaping up to be an important one
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> That's it from that WG. Just wanted to plug it again to everyone here ;)
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> On the DSpace 7 side of things, the Dev team is still small, but we've had a few new folks start to contribute, which is great to see. I'm working on a Planning spreadsheet (linked from agenda under 1.b.) to start to organize development more into possible "sprints"
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> But, not a ton to report right now. The Planning spreadsheet is also not yet 100% accurate on our current status (needs feedback/input from @art-lowel and @bollini, but the DSpace 7 team will talk about that tomorrow)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Thanks to @tom_desair for helping me get acquainted with the code base for DSpace 7.
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I think that's it for the quick "updates" on both DSpace Entities WG and DSpace 7 efforts. Any questions before we move along to other topics?
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Hearing nothing...moving along then.
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> DSpace 6.x updates: As far as I can tell, the 6.3 release is basically "on hold" until we get more folks interested in (a) contributing/patching/reviewing and (b) actually organizing/scheduling the release
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> We still do have good notes on what "could be" in 6.3 at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:10] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I wonder if it would make sense to treat 6.3 like a sprint (that does not conflict with DSpace 7 sprints).
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> But, until we find folks with time/interest in a 6.3, I'm considering it "on hold". To many "usual suspects" are concentrating on DSpace 7, as we need more effort there anyhow.
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: possibly...though I think we'd need to really time-box and plan that sprint. I.e. limit what we'd put into 6.3, and concentrate only on a handful of PRs (say 5-10ish)
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> @terrywbrady it's not a bad idea, 2 weeks is probably all it needs
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> And, I admit, I haven't had time to think that through...but, if someone else does have time to start to think through "how 6.3 might fit into a 1-2 week sprint", then I'd be glad to provide feedback/support on that.
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> (Currently I really have my hands full with 7.0 planning. 6.3 has fallen almost entirely off my plate in the nearterm... I'd still love to see it happen, but likely needs someone else to at least kickstart)
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> It needs a Release Coordinator. That person will organize the effort.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> I can help with 6.3 but I can't lead it
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I think it is a smart idea to not push the same folks to contribute to both branches at the same time.
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> I have a feeling there may be some backporting we can do from master to 6x
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I would imagine that 6.3 will become a priority if a significant bug is found. Otherwise perhaps the 6.3 effort resumes after the OR conference.
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, essentially, I'm just being honest here. 6.3 is "on hold", until either I find time *or* someone else steps up to be Release Coordinator. And, honestly, at least in the near term, it's gonna require the latter...my current time on DSpace is limited, and it's nearly all going to 7.0 (and meetings)
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'll add a note to that effect to the 6.3 Status page just to make sure others realize this is the case (if they haven't been watching/attending these meetings). Maybe someone(s) will step up
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> who's running 6x in production? I am
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I don't have anything else to say on 6.3 right now...I have been watching tickets come in and adding them to the 6.3 Status page if they seem plausible for it. But, haven't thought much else on it.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> I have a 6.2 brewing and hope to put it in production very soon.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @hpottinger: We are not yet running 6.x for DSpaceDirect. May be later this year, at which point maybe this becomes more of a priority for DSD. But by "later this year", I think it'd be likely Fall at earliest.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I will make my weekly request for someone to run though this tutorial and verify the 3 associated PRs: https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md . I hope to present a talk on the report tools at the OR conference to generate some user interest.
[15:20] <kompewter> [ restReportTutorial/README.md at master · terrywbrady/restReportTutorial · GitHub ] - https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> 6x is pretty well-behaved, older versions of DSpace like regular restarts (ouch, did I say that?) 6x just runs and runs without a restart
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Ok, so I think we've exhausted the 6.3 topic for today. I'll add a status note (that it's "on hold" waiting for volunteers) at top of 6.3 status page. I'd also ask that everyone here continue to add "high priority" tickets to that status page, so when we get to 6.3, we have an easy list to pull from.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:23] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> We tentatively plan to upgrade to 6x in Dec. We have some other big migrations over the summer and do not want this effort to conflict.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Moving along...I briefly wanted to touch on the Email Spam issues on dspace-tech and dspace-community.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> As noted via email, currently, dspace-tech and dspace-community no longer allow self signup.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> But, I've talked to Fedora team, they allow anyone to self signup to their lists, but everyone's first post is *moderated.* After reviewing the first post, the moderators (Commiters, etc) give that person posting rights, assuming they are not a spammer/scammer.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I saw 2 "requests to join" yesterday. Were they legitimate requests?
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: One was, one was not.
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> any chance we can build our own signup form and slap a recaptcha on it?
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Fedora's approach sounds reasonable.
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'm thinking about possibly moving to the Fedora model here... let anyone self-signup, but turn on moderation for *first posts*. Then, one of us would have to moderate and approve their first post (and turn *off* moderation for that individual)
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Will we have some common criteria for review, so we're all on the same page?
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> But, before I go that route, I wanted to be sure others agree here... as I'd like others to participate / keep an eye out. I'll likely still do most of the monitoring here, but it shouldn't all flow through me ;)
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @mwood: essentially, if we turn on first post review, we just review to ensure it's DSpace-related ;) If it is, let it through & remove moderation. If it is spam, ban the individual and reject the post
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> A little bit of moderation seems wise in order to preserve the community.
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Fair enough.
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> +1 moderation, you'll probably have to beg for help down the road, but you can also ping me directly if I forget to help
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> The spam has been extremely obvious thus far. It's just a shame we'd have to do this moderation...but I'm hoping that only moderating the first post won't be too much manual effort (as first posts likely don't happen daily even)
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Ask me for help, also.
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> OK, sounds like agreement here then. I'll switch all our lists to moderate the first post, but allow self signup. Glad to hear you all are at least getting these notifications for moderation from Google Groups
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> And if anyone <here> is *not* getting moderation notifications, and would like to help moderate our lists, please ping me! Glad for me help!
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Ok, that's it for the email spam topic. Thanks
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Last on the agenda, I've been gathering tickets/PRs that look interesting / high(ish) priority to get more eyes on (under topic #4)
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> DS-3649: Has received a lot of discussion on lists...looks like an Oracle specific bug in 5.x and 6.x
[15:31] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3649 ] - [DS-3649] no longer can select eperson after upgrade to 5.6 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> And there's a few tickets here that could fall under code cleanup.
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Reverting Xalan dependency (for 6.3): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1913
[15:32] <kompewter> [ [DS-3556] Rollback of Xalan from 2.7.2 to 2.7.0 to fix DS-3556 and DS… by pbroman · Pull Request #1913 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1913
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> And, completely removing Elastic Search Stats (for 7.0), thanks to @hpottinger: DS-3455
[15:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3455 ] - [DS-3455] Remove Elasticsearch Statistics - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I really just wanted to promote these as "needing more attention". The last two have PRs, and really just need a quick review & merge. The Oracle bug needs more work & a PR (but sounds like @tom_desair has started looking at it)
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> That's all I had to share today. If anyone has other topics/tickets to share, there's time to do so. Or we can discuss one (or more) of the tickets I just linked above :point_up: (if there's interest)
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> DS-3434 needs votes, and related DS-3803 needs to decide which way to fix it.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> The following post might be worthwhile to discuss: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/mnG_tL3Ijrg
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3434 ] - [DS-3434] DSpace fails to start when a databse connection pool is supplied through JNDI - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3803 ] - [DS-3803] Remove db.jndi setting from dspace.cfg - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:35] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/mnG_tL3Ijrg
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Let's look at the JNDI topic first here. (3434 and 3803)
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @mwood: I'll admit, I'm starting to get confused as to what is recommended now to improve JNDI support...is it *both* 3434 and 3803? Is 3434 the core fix here?
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> 3434 makes JNDI work at all in recent Tomcats. 3803 resolves confusion as to how to set up JNDI. I think they're both needed.
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, 3434 seems fine to me.. I can give it a code review. I'm assuming re: 3803, your recommendation is to simply remove `db.jndi` from `dspace.cfg` and replace it with better Documentation?
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I guess I hesitate to simply remove `db.jndi` without some sort of documentation on "how to do DSpace + JNDI", which seems to be missing right now (and becomes even less clear if we remove configuration from dspace.cfg)
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Yes. I can't come up with a use case that requires db.jndi. Tomcat has the necessary indirection if you run multiple DSpace instances. Other containers should be similar.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> I can help with documentation.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @mwood: So, I'm fine with merging both of these as-is...if I get a promise from you and/or @alanorth (or both) to fix/improve our 6.x documentation for using JNDI + DSpace.
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> I will work on the documentation.
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I'll go ahead an give a +1 on both...and note that Documentation is needed. Thanks, @mwood
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> That wraps up JNDI then, I think.
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Let's jump back to what @terrywbrady mentioned...REST API issues mentioned at: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/mnG_tL3Ijrg
[15:41] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-tech/mnG_tL3Ijrg
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: care to give us a quick summary here?
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Note that this is v6 REST, not the new stuff.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> @tdonohueI have not yet had a chance to look at the issue. It sounded like a possible blocker.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @mwood: good point, this is legacy REST API (6.x)
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Although I am able to run REST for DSpace 6.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> We need George Kozak's Tomcat host log to see why REST won't start.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @mwood: could you request that in the email thread? I agree....looks like the dspace logs aren't enough, and it sounds like others are running REST fine. So, this sounds more like a configuration/setup issue than a bug
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> It appears that there may be two separate issues in that thread.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Oh, I see you already requested it ;)
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> And, it *sounds* like we need better documentation about reverse proxies + REST? (per @hpottinger's response in that thread)
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Yes, we should look at that.
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I wonder, in general, if this is mostly a documentation issue...maybe we need more notes/hints on getting REST API "working correctly" (if it's not as simple as dropping the WAR in tomcat)
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I'm not sure what else we can solve in this meeting right now. I can email the thread to reminder George we need Tomcat logs. I'd appreciate it if someone here could volunteer to enhance/review our 6.x REST API documentation per this discussion
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> I can handle the docs, it'll give me something to do during "documentation hour"
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @hpottinger: much appreciated. It sounds like you have a good handle on this!
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Any other topics / tickets that folks want to raise here for more attention? (Sidenote: I like this concept of bringing high priority / interesting email threads to this meeting)
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> @tdonohue you merged a couple of recent version bump PRs (thanks) did you backport them to 6x?
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @hpottinger I did not. I didn't have time to do so
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> maybe we need some checkboxes for backports we want in 6x?
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @hpottinger: please do add a section to 6.3 Status page on that.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot2> Action: pbecker jumps in, coming from another meeting.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <pbecker> hello!
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Or, if someone has time, it probably isn't hard. I just have had little time to do much more than code review & merge these days
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @pbecker welcome! Glad to get you back in one of these meetings ;)
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> @pbecker interested in the 6.3 Release Coordinator job? :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <pbecker> @hpottinger are you asking the person that came 50 minutes late to the meeting to do a job where he/she would have to be regularly here?
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <pbecker> sorry, no chance currently.
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> It was mostly a joke, however, it never hurts to ask
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <pbecker> But I hope I can attend Dspace 7 meeting tomorrow and will hopefully be able to create to PRs against master next week.
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I think @hpottinger is volunteering to co-coordinate? x)
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <pbecker> This meeting feels like in the good old days. Didn’t changed much. right?
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <pbecker> :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Great to have you back, @pbecker, in whatever way(s) you can contribute
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, we are nearly wrapping up here...noticing <4 mins left in the hour. It sounds like we don't have any other topics to bring up.
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'd just add a final note to ask everyone to please *bring topics/tickets/PRs/email threads of note* to future meetings. I think this meeting is a good place to touch base with what is going on during the week, while also trying to push on 6.3, and get updates.
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> (You are more than welcome to also add links into the agenda itself...though I know sometimes I'm a tad late getting it out)
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> With that, we'll go ahead and close up. Have a great rest of the week. Reminder the next DSpace 7 meeting is tomorrow (Thurs) at 15UTC (same time as this meeting) in our new Zoom Mtg room: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Meeting+Room
[15:59] <kompewter> [ DSpace Meeting Room - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Meeting+Room
[16:26] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:33] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:49] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[17:58] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[22:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.