#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-01-31

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[5:18] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[5:21] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[6:04] * misilot (~misilot@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[6:05] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[6:30] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:30] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:30] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:31] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
[6:31] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ has joined #duraspace
[6:31] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:31] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:41] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[13:10] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:46] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> <here>: Reminder that our weekly DSpace DevMtg starts at the top of the hour (~15 mins) here. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-01-31
[19:46] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-01-31 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-01-31
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> <here>: Hello, and welcome. It's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda linked above :point_up:
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Let's do a quick roll call to see who's here today
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> here
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Here
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Ok, so at least there's 3 of us :slightly_smiling_face: I'm realizing more and more that these "late" meetings (at 20UTC) seem more sparsely attended (by only folks in North America...though I know it's late in Europe)
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Initially the goal here was to catch different parts of the world by two separate times...but, recently, seems we are less successful at that.
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, something for us to consider...do we "standardize" on 15UTC, if that time really works better for "most everyone" these days. We don't need to answer now, but just a trend I'm noticing
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> It seems like the time could work for Andrea S and Kim, but they have not joined in a while.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Yes, initially 20UTC was mostly for those two...as it is early morning for them in NZ / Aus
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Exactly. The later meeting was a wee bit early for the western Pacific and AU/NZ, while the early one is deep nighttime.
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Right...just noticing that nearly all of our activity/attendance right now is coming out of North America and Europe...so, this 20UTC mtg ends up working against us slightly. It's a "good idea" conceptually, but seems to not be working out (recently) in practice
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Maybe I'll just mention this on -devel / -commit and note I'm considering standardizing meetings at 15UTC (at least for the near future) unless anyone objects. We can always reintroduce 20UTC again at a later time
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> In any case, we can move along to the actual agenda
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> That makes sense to me
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I don't have anything to really announce/update on DSpace 7. Though the Development Status spreadsheet is now further along / more accurate: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18brPF7cZy_UKyj97Ta44UJg5Z8OwJGi7PLoPJVz-g3g/edit#gid=0
[20:09] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Development Planning - Google Sheets ] - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18brPF7cZy_UKyj97Ta44UJg5Z8OwJGi7PLoPJVz-g3g/edit#gid=0
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> More on DSpace 7 though in tomorrow's meeting at 15UTC (obviously)
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Fyi, I will be on vaction tomorrow, so I will miss that call
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> There was a meeting of the DSpace 7 Outreach Group ( outreach ) today. It was a brief meeting, we reviewed that DSpace 7 Dev spreadsheet. We also briefly discussed the work-in-progress, high level overview of "What's in DSpace": https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5f9FE-V3eQDYnKc1b7wOv5thT143oTdUGtf-Vqk7Gw/edit
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I will post a status update to reht rest channel
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> I missed the roll call, but I'm lurking today
[20:11] <kompewter> [ What’s in DSpace 7 - Google Docs ] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5f9FE-V3eQDYnKc1b7wOv5thT143oTdUGtf-Vqk7Gw/edit
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> While folks are welcome to review the "What's in DSpace" doc...it's still WIP, and yet to be reviewed by DCAT (which will be the next step in coming weeks). So, it's mostly an FYI of other activities
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, that's really it on DSpace 7
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Oh, and The DSpace Entities Group ( entities-wg ) just announced the next mtg will be Feb 23 at 15UTC
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Based on the last update from the Entities Group, I think our Digital Services Librarian will start attending those calls
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Next up... DSpace 6.3. No updates to share. It still needs an "owner" / coordinator. We still have some bugs being reported / analyzed. Nothing seems super-serious (though there are annoying bugs as always), so it seems like no one is in a rush to get 6.3 out yet.
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I will make my weekly plea for testing for my PR's: https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md
[20:15] <kompewter> [ restReportTutorial/README.md at master · terrywbrady/restReportTutorial · GitHub ] - https://github.com/terrywbrady/restReportTutorial/blob/master/README.md
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I think that's it for 6.3 as well...unless anyone else has something to say on that
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> In DSpace 5, there was no Shibb auth in the REST api, so I had to work around that limitation (and bypass authentication). The latest PR integrates Shibb auth into the reporting tools.
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Next up, I had slotted in brainstorms from @terrywbrady on a possible Virtual Dev Conference: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Virtual+DSpace+Developer+Conference
[20:16] <kompewter> [ Virtual DSpace Developer Conference - Terry Brady - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~terrywbrady/Virtual+DSpace+Developer+Conference
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: yes, thanks for your work on getting Shibb integrated...and all the work on reporting tools
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Last week, I was feeling like an old developer: I was trying use a new IDE, a new testing framework, and looking at some code with lamdas embedded and I realized that I could use some tips from other develoeprs. That was what prompted my idea for a developer conference.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> And, I would still love to know how to spin up a cloud instance of DSpace at a low cost.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Yes, I like the idea of "sharing what we do / how we do things", assuming we can get folks wanting to do the sharing piece! ;)
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> I won't have much to contribute in the way of shiny new tools and techniques, since I am rather conservative about tooling....
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Perhaps we could schedule something from 1400UTC-1700UTC.
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> count me in, I can show off Vagrant-DSpace as well as a Docker-based environment I've been using lately
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'll admit, I feel less like a developer these days (rarely get to actually touch code), so my dev environment is a bit chaotic at times. But, I'm starting to learn IntelliJ... I have knowledge of vagrant-dspace (and use it on occasion).
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'd gladly participate though, and share what I can.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I think @tom_desair would have a lot to teach us all.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'd like to see the Docker stuff (from @hpottinger). I'd also generally be interested to hear/see how others develop on DSpace
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> https://github.com/dspace-labs/dspace-dev-docker
[20:23] <kompewter> [ GitHub - DSpace-Labs/dspace-dev-docker: DSpace instant development environment using Docker ] - https://github.com/dspace-labs/dspace-dev-docker
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> What's often missing in talk about new gadgets is "why is this better?"
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I have used Eclipse for nearly 20 years. I don't know how to tell it to make sense of all of the Spring stuff in DSpace 7. This is driving me to look elsewhere.
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> heh, I'm happy to talk about how Docker is significantly faster than Vagrant :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: Yes, I've been (slowly) trying to move to IntelliJ cause of similar frustrations in NetBeans recently (and oft hearing about how IntelliJ does much more). So, I'm in a similar boat to some extent
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I think the gap here in "making this happen" is finding a free "couple hours", and finding a few folks willing to put there name down as a "presenter" (which can be as loosely defined as we want -- maybe even just talking 10 mins about how you do dev, optionally screenshare, and talk about what you'd like to learn more about)
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Really? I have Spring plugins in NetBeans that do everything I've wanted so far.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> @mwood, you have more to share than you think!
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Or I haven't wanted much yet....
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @mwood: Part of the frustrations from me also stem from DSpace 7 efforts...and finding that IntelliJ also works with Angular / TypeScript.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Would a few short meetings be better than planning a "conference"? Per haps a developer show and tell.
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Yes, I think we should start with a few short meetings. If it grows, it can turn into a "conference"
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> monthly?
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Yeah, maybe to get started we just need a few people to say, "this is how I normally work -- is it barmy or brilliant?"
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> funny thing about "normal"
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I will post something to a wiki page and to dspace-dev to find some interested parties. We can schedule from there.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Honestly, I say we just schedule 1-2 meetings. See what happens. If it's useful, it can become a "monthly" thing (or whatever timelines we like)
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady. That sounds good
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> Doodle poll the time?
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Any suggestions for a name for the meeting?
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> hi all
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> +1 to Doodle poll.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Hi @kshepherd
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Aside: I think Doodle is one of the few "new" gadgets that really are improvements.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> Action: hpottinger waves to kshepherd
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Hey, lookie there! It's @kshepherd. I've heard of that guy ;)
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> heh
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> just reading up re: meeting times
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> i haven't been around in a while because i'm technically still on holiday
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Oh. Didn't realize (and thanks for popping in to give feedback)
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> but i also understand that if it's inconvenient to everyone else, having a whole set of meetings in a 'far east' friendly timezone just for 2 people that aren't always around, might not make heaps of sense
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> to be honest i thought it was for UK people... the 20:00 GMT thing was already around before i was a committer
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> (and just happened to work out for me too)
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> The origin of 20UTC escapes me exactly...I think it mostly came about cause it worked better for "several folks at the time"....and yes, I don't think it was just you & Andrea S
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> well i'm ok with 15UTC if it makes life easier for y'all
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> i can occasionally try to stay / wake up at 3am
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I'm just starting to question it myself, cause it seems like 20UTC meetings are just USA folks (very specifically, @hpottinger, @mwood, @terrywbrady and I)... while 15UTC tends to be more well attended by Europeans (and other lurkers)
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> It was a compromise that seemed to work: mid-evening for Europe/Africa, late in the workday for the Americas, and not unconscionably early for NZ.
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> http://irclogs.duraspace.org/ contains a vast collection of text, ready for mining
[20:36] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @kshepherd: I'd hate to have you wake up in the middle of the night. Honestly, I think it's a question of "do you feel you'd like to regularly attend again"? If it's never gonna happen in the near future, then we might as well move entirely to 15UTC (and you can keep in the loop via email, Slack, etc).... But, if there are folks who would like a 20UTC and would attend them, I'm all for keeping two times.
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> I also do still plan to bring this to the lists. Honestly, I still like the idea of two separate times, but I'm finding it harder and harder to argue for, if one of the two is always sparsely attended. Ideally though, we simply get attendance "up" for both ;)
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> How does this look? https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Developer+Show+and+Tell+Meetings
[20:40] <kompewter> [ DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Developer+Show+and+Tell+Meetings
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: I like it. It's nice and simple, too the point. We'll see how it goes, and optionally it can expand into a full "conference" or "summit" of sorts
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> sorry, my connection keeps going down
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> i'd like to come to more meetings - i'm doing a lot more dspace work this year than last so should be more active generally, but if my commitment to come to meetings is the only reason for 20UTC, i'd feel bad if i could not make it for some reason
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> so... i probably won't argue for a 20UTC if others are finding it inconvenient (i didn't realise it was the inconvenient / sparsely attended one, but then again i have no frame of reference since i'm never awake for the other one ;))
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Neither have amazing attendance these days...but we tend to get at least 3-4 more people at 15UTC most weeks.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> It's good to hear though that you plan to get involved again, @kshepherd. That's great news
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> 20 UTC is 15 EST, so it's quite convenient for me. I feel guilty that both times are during my normal workday.
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> The only reason both times are in your workday, @mwood is that I'm the meeting convenier/organizer (so the times need to be in my workday)...and we are just hours apart (drive-wise)
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, I think from this discussion it'd probably be best to bring this to the -devel and -commit mailing lists. I'd much much rather find *two times* of interest to (different sets of) attendees and get both meeting attendance increased.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> But, we'll see if we can drum up more interest in meetings at a time separate from 15UTC
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> If you post a question to the lists about the meeting time, it might be worthwhile to ask for feedback on why folks do not attend to see if something else could be done to boost attendance.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> As we only have about 10mins left, I wonder if there's anything else folks here would like to specifically discuss? (The remainder of the agenda is just a list of tickets that might "be of interest" to others)
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> It is a huge relieve to only have a 1 hour block rather than the 2 hour blocks we used to have with the jira review
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> another option: if there's interest from, say, south/east/SE asia, pacific, etc (the funny timezones!) for some smaller meetings at a totally different time (eg 0200 UTC), i dont mind volunteering to run those meetings since they'll be in a very unfriendly time for EU and probably US as well
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @kshepherd: I think that's a great idea (assuming we can find folks interested in a "totally different time"). I definitely wouldn't be able to make it (2am for me), but I'd catch up later for sure
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> That is 6pm for me, so I could make a guest appearance from time to time.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Wait. That's not 2am ;)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> That's 8pm for me. I might be able to "lurk" on occasion...but may not make the whole meeting
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> In any case, I'm all for meetings at any time... they just need interested attendees and a convenier.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <kshepherd> would be great to be able to get some discussion going with devs from japan, india, china, australia, nz, etc... if we can find people who want to of course :slightly_smiling_face: i have a feeling there are more dspace users out there than we hear from often ;) (see: fb group vs mailing list posts)
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> So, maybe I can turn this question to lists into a : What do you want to see out of Dev Meetings? What time(s) would you be interested in attending?
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> (Starting to sound more like a short survey of sorts)
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Ok, noticing we are nearing the end of this meeting. Any final comments / words of wisdom / requests for help that anyone wants to share?
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <mwood> Keep looking over the PRs please?
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <hpottinger> anybody want a release 6.3?
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Yes, we do need more PR reviews (both for 6.3 and 7.0 stuff). And, yes we need a 6.3 Release coordinator. Thanks for both
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I am posting a blurb about the show and tell meetings. Can you offer guidance on using "here" vs "channel" in Slack?
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> Ok, we'll go ahead and close things up for today. I'll be lurking around for a few more hours if you need me
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> I don't want to spam folks, but I want the message to be seen
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: The "here" pings folks who are currently active. The "channel" pings *everyone* in the channel (active or not).
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Is it rude to "channel"?
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> It's rude to overuse "channel". But, in this situation, if you are on dev specifically, it seems reasonable to "channel" it.
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <terrywbrady> Thanks
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot2> <tdonohue> No problem!
[22:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:40] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.