#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-03-21

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:45] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:46] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[1:18] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[1:19] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[1:52] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[1:52] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[2:54] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[2:54] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[3:26] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[3:26] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[5:34] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[5:34] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[6:06] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[6:07] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[6:30] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[6:36] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:40] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:40] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:40] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:40] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[7:02] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:15] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:20] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:41] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:41] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[8:08] * kompewter (~kompewter@ has joined #duraspace
[8:44] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[8:45] * misilot_ (~misilot@ has joined #duraspace
[9:16] * misilot_ (~misilot@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[9:16] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[9:50] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)
[9:50] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[10:23] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[10:23] * misilot__ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[10:57] * misilot__ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[10:57] * misilot__ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:31] * misilot_ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:32] * misilot__ (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[11:51] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[12:13] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Late reminder that our DSpace DevMtg starts at the top of the hour in dev-mtg : https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-03-21
[14:51] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-03-21 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-03-21
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DSpace DevMtg time. As usual, let's do a brief roll call to see who's joining us today
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> here!
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> hi
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> present
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Hi
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like we have a good group here today... welcome all.
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, before we jump into agenda items...a couple quick reminders: The DSpace 7 Mtg is tomorrow and it's now *one hour earlier* (14UTC, which is one hour before this current mtg)
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We also have the next meeting of the DSpace Entities WG (entities-wg on Slack) on Friday, at 15UTC (same time as this meeting)
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And our next Dev Show & Tell is next Tuesday at 15UTC, and the agenda is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Janitor+and+DSpace%2C+DSpace+Development+on+Codenvy+-+Mar+27%2C+2018+at+1500+UTC
[15:02] <kompewter> [ Janitor and DSpace, DSpace Development on Codenvy - Mar 27, 2018 at 1500 UTC - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Janitor+and+DSpace%2C+DSpace+Development+on+Codenvy+-+Mar+27%2C+2018+at+1500+UTC
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, lots going on in the next week!
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Jumping into the agenda topics though...the first topic actually relates to that Entities WG effort (and the meeting on Friday).
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I wanted to make sure everyone saw my email (to dspace-devel) and notes in dev about the new option #3 (and "key requirements") added to the DSpace Entities Overview doc
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exm_xLToxUMszOvX5itSMFTn5eiGCdggL0Mf522GjHU/edit
[15:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace Entities Overview / Discussion - Google Docs ] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exm_xLToxUMszOvX5itSMFTn5eiGCdggL0Mf522GjHU/edit
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I literally just got out of the DSpace Steering Mtg where they also reviewed these new options, and found the Option #3 promising, but want it to get a thorough review via the Entities WG meeting (on Friday) and also from anyone else who wants to comment on the Google Doc
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I saw it, but still have to read through all the new ideas and proposals.
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> From the entities-wg channel, I see that Lieven from Atmire will be presenting this new option in the Entities WG meeting on Friday at 15UTC. So, if you don't have time to read through the full proposal, you can also just attend that meeting (it's an open mtg, anyone can attend)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, I did want to also leave time here today for any early comments / questions / concerns you may want to express. It's important to me that our developers have a chance to "vet" this (and all other ideas) from a technical point of view.
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And while this mtg isn't the *only* opportunity to vet it, I want to be sure folks have a chance to ask questions, especially if you cannot attend the Entities WG on Friday.
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Any initial comments / questions / suggestions here?
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll go through the proposals till Friday and will asks my questions when I feel to be ready (not today).
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds good! I'll assume others will do the same, since I'm not seeing any other pressing questions posted here
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> BTW: Hello @tdonohue is anyone else here?
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker: we did a roll call at the beginning of the mtg :point_up: There are others who said "here" ;)
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> ah, tanks. Missed that.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so that was all I had to say about the DSpace Entities discussions. Definitely make time to join us in the Entities WG meeting on Friday, if you can make it. Otherwise, it *will* be recorded and you can watch later
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next topic up is DSpace 7 updates
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I mentioned this last week, but we are in the midst of drafting an initial DSpace 7 Community Sprint (final dates TBA): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[15:12] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The goal of these sprints are to get others more familiar with the DSpace 7 development process, train up some more developers and also collaborate on creating a few missing features in the DSpace 7 UI (and REST API)
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> There will be much more announced on this in the coming week or so, but I wanted to highlight it so that anyone here can start to think about getting involved, etc.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's the major update on DSpace 7. Otherwise, we are to moving development along, but we are still a pretty small team -- hence also why we'd like to use Community Sprints to try to grow our team, and work together to complete a few features more rapidly.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> I do want to mention that the May 7-11 and May 14-18 option would work best for A&M
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks for that note, @jcreel256. That is the most likely candidate at this point. We've had feedback from others as well that scheduling this out a bit further would be helpful. So, early dates might be harder to get as many folks signed up
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Any other questions / comments / thoughts on DSpace 7? I'll pause briefly before we move along to 6.x maintenance efforts
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Not hearing any (or seeing any typing in Slack)
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so moving along... as you've likely seen, @kshepherd has taken the reigns on a 6.3 bug-fix release, and is looking for more contributors
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> See recent emails to lists: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-tech/pBy714dGqU0/MGszGDCYAgAJ
[15:18] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-tech/pBy714dGqU0/MGszGDCYAgAJ
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 6.3 planning has begun over on the Status page: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:19] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Currently, the list of tickets there is rather long still...but I know Kim and others have been working to narrow down things into more of a "must have" vs "nice to have" listing of things to get into 6.3.... where "must have" is stuff we cannot release without, and "nice to have" is stuff we'd like to include, but need help from others to push it forward (by testing, code reviews, etc)
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, the basic message here is ... we could use collaborators / support from others. If you'd like to see a specific fix make it into 6.3, then help us out by testing it, providing a code review, and/or promoting it to get others to test or code review.
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Anything folks here would like to discussion with regards to a 6.3 release? (I'm noticing everyone is quiet today)
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> At this point, we're basically down to the end of our agenda....and in record time. ~35 minutes remain in the meeting. :slightly_smiling_face: So, I'll also open up the floor to any other discussion topics (from anyone).
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> You all are a quiet group, or everyone <here> has no questions about anything related to DSpace / DSpace development! ;)
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> If there are not other topics I’d like to ask a development question. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to tell DSpace to apply a search query on a list of communities? E.g. “search for ‘test’ in communities A, C, and D, but not in B and E”.
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker: I'm not sure that's possible in the Java API (I think it just offers an option to search in one community and sub communities, IIRC). But, conceptually, it seems like it should be possible in Solr.
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tdonohue thanks, that is also what it looks like to me. Do you think factes can be a work around? Currently it looks to me that facets are always connected using “and”, while I would need “or” (any item any of the mentioned communities, not an item that is part of each of them).
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to admit, I'm not very knowledgeable on this area of our Java API. So, I'm not entirely sure
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Conceptually, what you are looking for sounds like something achievable in Solr. But, I admit, I don't now (off the top of my head) how this is all implemented in our API layer. So, it might require new Java code
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Thank you.
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> That matches with what I found out and expected.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I also do know that this same limitation likely will exist in the new DSpace 7 REST API (at least right now). In that new REST API, there's a "scope" parameter, which lets you search within a certain "scope" (i.e. Community or Collection)...but, currently it doesn't support an "OR" across multiple scopes.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think this is something that could be changed / enhanced, if there's a good use case / scenario. But, we'd likely need to fix the Java API layer first, as needed.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> In DSpace 6 the scope can be set to one handle currently. It is not possible to use a list of handles there.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> So it seems to be the same in both branches.
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, that would be the case. The DSpace 7 Java API is not much different than the DSpace 6 Java API. At this time, DSpace 7 efforts are almost entirely concentrated on the new REST API & Angular UI.
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there any other discussion topics / general Q&A / brainstorms that anyone here has for today?
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: ptrottier waves and is looking over the Entities proposals
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Would anyone object to removing the GeoIP downloading from the installer, and simply making a GeoIP database a prerequisite? We have to update this area anyway due to retirement of GeoIP v1 format.
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Maxmind provides an updater of their own.
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: I admit, I'm not entirely sure what that'd mean. But, I don't know what tools Maxmind provides
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Sorry for being so quiet, I was looking through the tickets for 6.3, I notice that DSPR#1848 has already been merged, but DSPR#1963, which is for master, needs a rebase... so DS-3700 is "almost done."
[15:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3700 ] - [DS-3700] Filter Media leaks file sockets - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As long as there's a simple way to "make this work", I'm OK with it. I just don't want to add in another "pain-to-install" prerequisite requirement that makes the DSpace installation process more complex.
[15:42] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1848 ] - DS-3700: MediaFilterServiceImpl forgot to close an input stream. by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1848 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:42] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1963 ] - DS-3700: MediaFilterServiceImpl forgot to close an input stream. by tomdesair
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> https://github.com/maxmind/geoipupdate
[15:43] <kompewter> [ GitHub - maxmind/geoipupdate: GeoIP update client code ] - https://github.com/maxmind/geoipupdate
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger: If a PR is "stalled", I think it's honestly OK for someone else to recreate the PR to move it along ;)
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Installation is simple and well documented.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> re possibly refactoring GeoIP updating... as long as we do it in a way that is compatible with the "old ways" of doing it... Vagrant-DSpace pre-loads the GeoIP data, I bet other people have automated updating it in their own scripts.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> DSpace is already configurable as to where the database is. Other than that, it's a matter of taking a few lines out of build.xml and adding a few lines to the manual.
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think I'd like to see a full proposal of the new steps. This sounds OK to me overall, but I fully admit I don't know how "tied into things" GeoIP currently is... e.g. is this a hard requirement? Is it a nice to have? Are we certain GeoIP installer/updater works cross OS (even on Windows / Mac)?
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> The installer could run 'geoipupdate' for you, but it would be simpler to just tell folks to run it before installing DSpace.
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I simply don't know enough here about how this currently works to give a good answer :(
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Windows: a good question.
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> wait, are we talking about the GeoLiteCity.dat.gz file?
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Overall, I'm not against changing how we do GeoIP (or even potentially replacing GeoIP with something else, if there's a better solution). Just want to be sure we see the full picture, etc.
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I quoted your OS question on DS-3831.
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3831 ] - [DS-3831] Ant target &quot;update_geolite&quot; is deprecated and should be dropped - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger: yes, but I think that GeoIP database file has changed format entirely. See https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3832
[15:50] <kompewter> [ [DS-3832] GeoIP-API(com.maxmind.geoip:geoip-api) needs to be replaced by GeoIP2 ( com.maxmind.geoip2:geoip2 ) - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3832
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3832 ] - [DS-3832] GeoIP-API(com.maxmind.geoip:geoip-api) needs to be replaced by GeoIP2 ( com.maxmind.geoip2:geoip2 ) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, we have two tickets for this thing...those need linking up
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> linked
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> well then... it looks like we need to get cracking, eh?
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'm working on Ds-3832 as we speak.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I think more digging is needed here. Unclear if GeoIP v2 will be a good solution for us (hopefully it will be), or if we need to look towards something else. Thanks @mwood
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> The upgrade is not a "drop-in" but it's not difficult, at least to get it to compile....
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm a bit worried that new update script may not be straightforward on Windows though (make, etc are not normally on Windows): https://github.com/maxmind/geoipupdate
[15:54] <kompewter> [ GitHub - maxmind/geoipupdate: GeoIP update client code ] - https://github.com/maxmind/geoipupdate
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'd also like to draw attention to DS-3868, which has bitten me twice already. It has a PR that needs reviewers.
[15:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3868 ] - [DS-3868] Missing Hibernate dependencies -- &#39;ant fresh_install&#39; fails - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: oh, sorry, I completely forgot about that PR (after my initial code review). I'll review that today
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thanks!
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> http://jasonfaulkner.com/AutoUpdateGeoIP.aspx
[15:58] <kompewter> [ How To Auto Update MaxMind GeoIP Databases On Windows | Jason Faulkner ] - http://jasonfaulkner.com/AutoUpdateGeoIP.aspx
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> While we are talking "obvious win" PRs... I'd really like to simply update our PostgreSQL driver version: See DSPR#1945, and ports for 6.x and 5.x (linked
[15:58] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1945 ] - DS-3854: Update to latest PostgreSQL JDBC driver by tdonohue
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if someone could give those a quick code review... the new PostgreSQL JDBC drivers work in production on 5.x (we've had them in place for months)
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm realizing we are nearing the top of the hour now. We've moved into general chit-chat anyhow (which is fine). But, I'll now formally close the meeting. Continued chatting about specific tickets is still welcome though
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds like the chit-chat is over. So, thanks for attending all! Feel free to join the DSpace 7 Mtg (tomorrow) or DSpace Entities WG meeting (Fri), if either of those topics is of interest
[21:06] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:54] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.