#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-03-28

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:30] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:30] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:30] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:30] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:30] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:30] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:30] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[6:33] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[6:35] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[6:59] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:05] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:20] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:37] * kompewter (~kompewter@ has joined #duraspace
[11:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[12:38] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Reminder that our DevMtg starts at the top of the hour (~12mins) here. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-03-28
[19:47] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-03-28 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-03-28
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: Welcome it's time for the DSpace DevMtg. Agenda is linked above :point_up: .
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hello
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Let's kick off (as usual) with a quick roll call to see who is here
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> hello
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> here
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> Hi everybody
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like a good group here :slightly_smiling_face: welcome, all.
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Hi.
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The agenda is a bit light again today, but we'll push through...and if we end up with extra time, maybe @kshepherd can use it to help wrangle help/support from us around 6.3 ;)
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Quick question. I am compiling an agenda for our next Dev show and tell meeting. I would like to focus on IDE's and DSpace. Would anyone here be interested in presenting how you use your IDE with DSpace?
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll pause to see if anyone wants to help out @terrywbrady in the Dev Show & Tell
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> We use Eclipse, but it's a but unwieldy at times. I'd like to see what others do.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I think it is time for me to move away from Eclipse. Would you be interested in showing your process for using it?
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I suppose I should represent NetBeans, but I dunno what there is to show, specific to DSpace. My usual method involves one virtual desktop with NetBeans maximized, and a second with lots of xterms to do all the stuff like redeploying webapp.s.
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks @mwood I will add you to the list.
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think showing an individual's IDE process (install/deployment/bug fixing, whatever) is usual, no matter how obscure or unwieldy ;) It's a good learning opportunity for others to make suggestions to you...and it lets new devs know they are not alone if they are finding their IDE of choice a bit unwieldy right now
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i've had fun doing remote debugging into my vagrant box with IntelliJ, but.. i'd have to record something in advance. not sure i'd be good at a 3am or 4am demo :P
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @kshepherd that would be a great addition to the meeting notes.
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> and i think some of the atmire folks are probably better at that stuff, maybe they'd be interested
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> (debugging in IntelliJ IDEA, that is)
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, by volunteering to demo an IDE, you aren't expected to be an expert on how to "best work with DSpace" in that IDE....it'd just be useful to find someone who uses each IDE on a (relatively) regular basis
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I hope to confirm that Tom Desair can present. We swapped the dates around, so I need to reconfirm with him.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @jcreel256, let me know if you are interested in participating.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok, so as this is tangent is slowing down, I'm going to jump us back to the agenda. But, definitely ping @terrywbrady if you are willing to demo an IDE
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> A quick update on DSpace Entities discussions... The update is that no decision has been made yet. Discussions are ongoing (in Steering & DSpace Entities WG), and the DSpace Entities WG is more closely looking at the Option #3 (Atmire Proposal)
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you want to watch/listen to the last DSpace Entities WG meeting, it's video is now available at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2018-03-23+DSpace+Entities+WG+Meeting+Notes
[20:11] <kompewter> [ 2018-03-23 DSpace Entities WG Meeting Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2018-03-23+DSpace+Entities+WG+Meeting+Notes
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The Entities WG has their next meeting next week on Tues, April 3 at 14UTC. Steering next discusses this topic on Weds, April 4
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I expect a decision point to be coming relatively soon, but I don't know whether to expect one next week, or if the discussion will roll over into the DuraSpace Member Summit (April 10-11)
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if you have feedback to provide, and haven't given it, please consider doing so. The Google Doc is still open for comments/questions/suggestions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exm_xLToxUMszOvX5itSMFTn5eiGCdggL0Mf522GjHU/edit
[20:13] <kompewter> [ DSpace Entities Overview / Discussion - Google Docs ] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exm_xLToxUMszOvX5itSMFTn5eiGCdggL0Mf522GjHU/edit
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's it for Entities updates, unless there are questions here?
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, not hearing any...moving right along
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSpace 7 updates are again pretty minimal. Nothing major to report from that working group. But, I will note that 4Science will be demoing their new Submission/Workflow Angular UI in tomorrow's mtg. This UI was built for DSpace-CRIS, but we'll be discussing what to bring back into DSpace 7 tomorrow.
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And the Community Sprint planning is still coming along. hoping to have it finalized by early in April (next few weeks). https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:16] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's pretty much it for DSpace 7
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I guess I'll pause here to ask what may be an obvious question -- do folks attending this meeting find these updates at the beginning of DevMtg *useful*? If you'd rather take this meeting right into other activities, I could simply write/summarize all updates into the agenda for you to read prior to the mtg.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i think it's cool to hear updates, then people can chip in with questions or notes, etc.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm just trying to find the best way to engage all you here, and also keep you up-to-date on everything else going on in other mtgs ;)
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think it's useful, but brevity is appreciated so that we have time for other stuff.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> if it's all in the agenda there isn't as much opportunity for conversation about the update items
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> true, thanks for the feedback @kshepherd and @mwood
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok. So, we'll move this along. I haven't heard any burning questions, so lets dive into 6.3 updates/status. I wonder if I could turn this over to you @kshepherd? We essentially have as much of the rest of the mtg as you want to talk 6.3
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> heh
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> well, things are moving, thanks to those who've helped out with PR approvals, merges, ports, etc.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i haven't had any direct response to the 'call for volunteers' emails, but i'm hoping that i can at the very least encourage some more committers to help out with reviews, especially of the "quick win" PRs, and PRs that already have 1 or more approval
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> that's really where we get stuff -- not enough people reviewing PRs, and with our policy of >=2 reviews for a committer contribution, >=3 reviews for a non-committer contribution, there are one-liner obvious changes that just can't get merged
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> DSPR#1997 may be wanted for 6.3, since Maxmind intends to end GeoIP Legacy updates the first of next month. The PR is still work in progress but getting close. Yeah, I need to stop making things to review and do some reviewing....
[20:24] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1997 ] - [DS-3832] Upgrade to GeoIP2. by mwoodiupui
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd encourage us to not wait on obvious, one-liners. I think we can make exceptions and get those in with simply 1-2 reviews
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok, yes, that was one suggestion i had: it's a really obvious quick fix, then let's just do it
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, if it's obvious, but you want a second set of eyes, feel free to ping someone on it (who is online, etc)
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will be glad to spend a few hours testing. I had a priority list of PR's from new contributors. I know I made it through half of that list. I will try to resume going through that list.
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yes i've been harassing a few people.. the same poor, few people.. ;)
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Oops, that's 2003. 1997 is for master.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Or, if you have a few that jump to mind, let me know the numbers and I will look at them.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The ideal situation is everything gets two sets of eyes...but, I honestly don't care much if that is 2 committers, 1 committers & a contributor/tester, etc. That said, obvious, one-liners we can make exceptions for.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady yep thanks. i've been trying to keep on top of milestones and labels in the github PRs list too, so hopefully you can just look at the 6.3 quick wins
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> or check dev to see if i'm begging for a specific review :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> and if anyone is OK with being tagged in slack whenever i need a +1 or a test, please let me know.. i don't want to start spamming people with slack alerts unless they sign up for it!
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> OK, I will look at the quick win list.
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And I wish I could be chipping in more on reviews over the last week. I'd really appreciate it if we could find others <here> (or on dev) that are willing to do some simple code reviews. I do my best to get to it, but some days end up being almost completely meeting-ful
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> The other place we might get a bit stuck is just the scope of the release, which we know is still a bit uncertain, and my plan was just to see how much we could get in, within a week or two. So far, that's not a lot ;) So if we're still moving a bit slowly in another 2 weeks, we might have to really trim down the list of contributions to be released to a handful of priority/urgent bugfixes and just concentr
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> get things ready to merge and start ticking off a lot of items on the 6.3 Release Planning page that are 90% there
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[20:32] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> I will try to stay in dev until 2200 UTC if anyone wants to chat 6.3 stuff, ask for help with a PR or JIRA issue, make suggestions/contributions/whatever
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd I'm OK with being pinged on Slack on specific tickets that seem quite "stuck" or really need my input. But, that said, I don't feel I need to be in the review process for everything...so I'm hoping we can both find others to chip in here (even non-committers can chip in on code reviews or testing)
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> @jsavell-tamu and I are going to find an hour or so this week to put in some reviews on pending PRs
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> :clap: Thanks, @jcreel256 and @jsavell-tamu! That'd be much appreciated
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> thanks @jcreel256 - that would be awesome
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> if there are other/better ways we could be compiling and sharing lists of PRs that we want help with (whether it's reviews, testing, porting to a different branch, committing extra stuff), please sing out
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> the release status page is pretty daunting, and hard to edit! but a good 'master doc' to keep track of where everything is at, what needs porting to master, etc
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Following up on a conversation from the dev channel earlier today, Tim obtained control of the DSpace account on Dockerhub for us to publish recommended images. I am looking for a couple of folks to help brainstorm how we should organize those images. See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Docker+Images @tdonohue, could we throw this on the agenda for next week?
[20:37] <kompewter> [ DSpace Docker Images - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Docker+Images
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we have about 20 mins left here...We've basically made it through the agenda. Are there other topics anyone would like to bring up for discussion? Do we consider doing some PR/JIRA reviews together now/here?
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, and as I sent that, @terrywbrady brought up something else. I forgot to add Docker to today's agenda
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @kshepherd, my only suggestion would be to move the items that are unlikely to get addressed to the bottom of the list.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> (based on your best guess)
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> @kshepherd the release status page is well curated
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, we now have control over the Docker org at: https://hub.docker.com/u/dspace/ (Previously this was empty/abandoned). If anyone wants to move forward work on building some DSpace docker image(s), get in touch
[20:39] <kompewter> [ None ] - https://hub.docker.com/u/dspace/
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I should note, I'm not a Docker expert myself... I wanted to be sure we had an org in Docker Hub to publish images under. But, I'll need someone else(s) to take a lead on this...I'm a newbie)
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I am glad to help coordinate... I am very much a newbie as well.
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think anyone who has touched Docker is less newbie than I. I admit, I haven't used it at all yet, but I do understand the concepts & fully support others using/building on DSpace + Docker. Someday, I'll very likely join you all ;)
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> sounds very cool
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, any other discussion topics to bring up here?
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Is there any reason *not* to enable XInclude when loading local configuration documents? There was recent ML discussion of breaking up the submission forms document into smaller pieces, or pieces mechanically generated from other sources.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: I admit, I don't know enough to respond. That mailing list discussion was a surprise to me... I didn't realize it was possible to break up the XML configs into components
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh, XInclude sounds good for avoiding needless repetition in input forms, submission config, etc. i'm on board for that
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> For reference, here's the mailing list discussion thread we are talking about: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-tech/qL2Ou23s4ew/ClIFnpAuAwAJ
[20:46] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-tech/qL2Ou23s4ew/ClIFnpAuAwAJ
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Does this apply this to 6.3 or to 7.x? Could this also apply to discovery.xml?
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'm not sure it's appropriate for a maintenance release, but I can be persuaded.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I haven't looked at discovery.xml, ever. If it is big, chunky and repetitive then it might be a good candidate.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> discovery.xml is a Spring Config (which is loaded by Spring)... that might be a tad different from the input-forms.xml and item-submission.xml which we load in our DSpace API.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Oh.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, that said, there very well may be ways to split up Spring Configs too
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> re: which version? yeh, it's kind of a significant change... i'd say there probably is a 6.x that could take new features like this but i'd been thinking of 6.3 specifically as a maintenance/bugfix release..
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Well, if I do the work, I probably shouldn't do it until 6.3 is out. I should be reviewing....
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ;)
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd say development on something like this should likely start against `master`. But, I might be convinced that we should backport it to a (future) 6.4, whenever that would happen.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (Not against it, but I agree that likely not for 6.3)
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Looking at that email thread, Claudia's recommendation uses the old SGML way of performing an include. The xi:include looks preferable to me, but I do not know how well-supported it is across our XML libraries.
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It appears to be in the spec. There is a factory method to turn it on.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I agree that this change makes sense for the master branch.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> DocumentBuilderFactory.setXIncludeAware(boolean)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Good to know!
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, I'll write up a ticket and try to leave it alone until I've done something to forward 6.3.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thanks!
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds good. Thanks for bringing this up, @mwood
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, that brings us nearly to the top of the hour.....which means we aren't gonna get to PR/JIRA reviews in this mtg. That said, I know @kshepherd talked about hanging around in dev post-meeting to do some reviews
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Final 6.3 Pitch: If anyone wants to hang out in dev and talk PRs after the meeting, I'll be around as well so I can help out with reviews of your pet PRs :slightly_smiling_face: If anyone is looking for a list of easy stuff to help with, here is a list of PRs filtered to 6.3, quick win, that already have 1 or more "approved" reviews:
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved
[20:59] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I have to go in a minute or three, but I'll read the discussion tomorrow.
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, let's wrap up this meeting now. I'd encourage folks to jump over to dev (if you have time) and join in some PR reviews. I'll do so (at least for about 30ish mins), myself
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:47] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.