#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-04-11

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:39] -livingstone.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:39] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:39] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:39] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[11:44] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[13:29] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:45] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:08] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:14] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Dev Meeting is beginning. Who is here?
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-04-11
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-04-11 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-04-11
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> hi @terrywbrady
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hi @kshepherd
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Is anyone else joining today?
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> I'm lurking, but slack is acting up
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Hi @jcreel256
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> Howdy
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Looking at the agenda. There is a DSpace 7 meeting tomorrow morning at 14:00 UTC
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> DSpace 7 Working Group
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Working+Group
[20:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Working+Group
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: hpottinger is lurking as well
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> hi @hpottinger
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> The entities group notes are here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Entities+Working+Group
[20:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace Entities Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Entities+Working+Group
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Next week, at our Dev show and tell meeting we will have an IDE showcase.
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We will go around the call and have folks demonstrate how they use their IDE of choice with the DSpace code base.
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Developer+Show+and+Tell+Meetings
[20:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Developer+Show+and+Tell+Meetings
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Next I will move to the Discussion topics on the agenda. Does anyone have anything to raise before we move to that?
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Plans are underway for the first DSpace Community Sprints. See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:05] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Sign up if you are able to participate and reach out to others to join!
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Does anyone have DSpace 7 business to raise?
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> OK, let's move to DSpace 6.3. @kshepherd has been coordinating release plans
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Yep we're getting there, one PR at a time... still would be good to get more people testing things out or inspecting and upvoting PRs. Don't have to be a committer, just have a look at https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?page=1&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3&utf8=✓ and see if there's anything that catches your eye ;)
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @kshepherd, how many of these do you anticipate including in the release?
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> We also have a status page to track review status of issues marked for 6.3: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status it's a bit out of date but i'll be updating it today
[20:10] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Also, is the release likely to occur before the DSpace 7 sprint begins?
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> At this rate, i'm thinking half of them may make it in if we are to release on say May 1st
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> The plan was to release before the sprint. If critical fixes/improvements can't make it in by then (there are a few) then we should probably postpone and release after May 18
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> That sounds good. I see the quick win labels. Are any of them particularly high priority?
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I see that label is on 2 of the 32 prs
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yep we got a few we can try get done today!
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+label%3A%22high+priority%22+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:12] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+label%3A%22high+priority%22+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Great. Would you like to call them out and we can focus on them here.
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> sure, excellent. also i'm going to be in dev for an hour or two after this meeting so if anyone wants to help go through some other PRs just hang out in dev
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok first quick win fix: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1912
[20:14] <kompewter> [ [DS-3788] drop indexes, update, recreate by kardeiz · Pull Request #1912 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1912
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> this is fixes/improvements to Oracle flyway migration scripts
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> What else does this one need to merge?
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> it needs documentation as there may be some users on 6.x with oracle who need to run some additional scripts
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ideally, it'd get another +1 from an oracle user who can test it in the wild. anyone <here> use oracle?
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> (it has been tested by @mwood though so i'm confident it works!)
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I think we may be low on Oracle testers...
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> that was my feeling too
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> in which case, maybe we should merge this and put out a call on mailing lists for oracle users to test 6.x (or make beta release for testing)
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'll mark the JIRA issue as documentation needed
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I support that. Will you apply the merge?
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> What should we tackle next?
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> done! needs porting to 6.x, i'll do that later
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> next is https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1892
[20:19] <kompewter> [ [DS-3770] always uncache item after performed curation task by pbroman · Pull Request #1892 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1892
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> (btw if i'm taking up too much meeting time just let me know and i'll shift to dev)
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Let's keep going for the rest of this hour. Does anyone have other business?
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have one item. I will be leading the following webinar: http://duraspace.org/articles/3372
[20:20] <kompewter> [ DuraSpace | Open technologies for durable digital content ] - http://duraspace.org/articles/3372
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> anyone <here> use curation tasks and feel like giving pull/1892 a quick spin?
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It will be an interactive presentation showing how to customize DSpace. If you know folks who might be interested, please register.
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok so https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1892
[20:21] <kompewter> [ [DS-3770] always uncache item after performed curation task by pbroman · Pull Request #1892 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1892
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> improvement to curation tasks. it's had inspection and +1s but no testing by people other than the author as far as i can tell
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I see that a request went out to @tom_desair to review.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'll try get to it today but if others can give it a whirl then please do
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> But, I presume that if you complete testing you will go ahead and merge it.
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh that request went out in november 2017... don't think i'll wait for that
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Should we move to the next ticket?
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> last quick win: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1890
[20:23] <kompewter> [ DS-3768 Fixes the harvest solr parse error by by marsaoua · Pull Request #1890 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1890
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> it looks good to me - basically fixing start/end date scoping for solr searches
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> but again, needs testing in the wild. the author has provided some clues for testing
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> err, OAI harvest solr queries, i should say, not discovery solr searches
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> :cricket:
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I see this is marked high-priority. Do you concur with that?
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> not sure about that to be honest ;)
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> it'd be a good fix to get in as the problem is, some solr query requests sent now are invalid, so it is a bug that needs fixing
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> but there are other higher priorities around
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I recommend removing that label. Does this qualify as a "quick-win"?
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I just want to make sure that we have a focused priority set since the release is relatively soon.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'm just still getting my head around exactly where the fix works - it's related to both harvest and the rss feed servlet
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I removed high-priority. I will let you make the call on quick-win.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> it's a small fix, i'd keep that label
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Higher level question: what will the release process look like? Will we just stop on a particular day and cut the release or does any other testing step need to happen?
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yes, good question, i think given the oracle migration patch, and if enough other fixes get in, it'd be nice to stop 6.x merges at some point and do a kind of mini-testathon
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> though that makes the timeframe even closer. maybe i'm too optimistic about May 1
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> IMHO, unless we identify some really critical stuff, I think it would be good to release what we can by May 1.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Let's go through the other quick win/high priority items and see what thoughts we have.
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i've got a pull request / jira issue to get feedback on, just confirming assumptions / spec of item last modified date
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1877
[20:35] <kompewter> [ DS-3734 Fixed missing trigger of item last modified date when adding a bitstream by christian-scheible · Pull Request #1877 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1877
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Given that resources have been tight for testing PR's, I imagine they would be tight for a testathon as well.
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> have had a +1 already, but anyone else object to the idea that item last modified should be updated when a new bitstream is added?
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> I wouldn't object
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> My first thought is that the date should be updated. But, does that apply if a dervied resource (thumbnail/text extract) is added?
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Or, does it only apply if an ORIGINAL bundle bitstream has changed?
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> what's your opinion?
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> I daresay that media filters are capable of modifying items just as well as humans.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> from a technical point of view, a bitstream is a bitstream, something happened..
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It could make an RSS feed or OAI feed "noisy", but it is also accurate.
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> true
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> if RSS feeds include thumbnail info (can't remember if dspace does or not) or feed is OAI-ORE, then you'd want that noise since the thumbnail might be in there
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I added myself as a tester for this.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I added the quick win label
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady ta, do you want to add your followup question to comments? we can make a call on noisy feeds vs strictly true mod dates
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> moving onto quick wins
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1996
[20:42] <kompewter> [ DS-3511: Fix HTTP 500 errors on REST API bitstream updates by AndrewBennet · Pull Request #1996 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1996
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I added a comment to the jira ticket
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> seems obvious, terry you're the REST master :slightly_smiling_face: if you're +1 i'll merge pull/1996
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will test it.
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> (we're close to having all outstanding REST issues merged)
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Interestingly, I have never really used legacy REST to apply updates. It will be good to do some work with it.
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok sure thing
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @jcreel256 shout out if you want in on testing any of these!
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yes!
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> Getting slammed here with some local deployment issues on other products, so I don't want to promise anything. But I like the look of some of those quick wins.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> If you find some time, use the labels to find some items to grab.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> What's next?
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1883/files
[20:46] <kompewter> [ DS-3702 & DS-3703: Rebuild the old behavior of bitstreams during vers… by marsaoua · Pull Request #1883 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1883/files
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> oops
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> linked to /files of that PR by accident
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> this is not quick win but is high priority
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> needs testers and reviewers
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'll just leave that there for people to subscribe / add selves as reviewers since we're unlikely to be able to merge it now...
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> So I don't know that I can add labels in DSpace/DSpace on github
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> FYI, I'm only part-way lurking here, but I've assigned DSPR1892 to myself and will test it today
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> Oh, yes, I see, I should use the existing labels to find things :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @jcreel256 possibly not, no, if you want a label added just let me know
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks @hpottinger
[20:49] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok next.. we have two quick wins about item versioning and xmlui
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Is the priority of this so high it should delay the release?
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady, looks like you're asking about reproducing one of them.... might not be an issue, and the other, i've asked for some changes but haven't heard back from author yet (so i might need to create new PR and cherrypick the commit)
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Could you throw a link into the chat
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady i agree.. i think those PRs have become relatively lower priority compared to some other things, and the need for quick release
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1949
[20:51] <kompewter> [ DS-3830 Item retrieval fallbacks for versioning navigation by jonas-atmire · Pull Request #1949 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1949
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> and https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1947
[20:51] <kompewter> [ DS-3828 Add latest version information to versioning Navigation validity by jonas-atmire · Pull Request #1947 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1947
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> For 1949, Personally, I would not hold up changes for code formatting. In 7x, we will get that by convention.
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @jcreel256 btw thanks for reviewing the bitstream versioning issue already - i think we probably can get this one in if i can test it in next few days, but i'm going to remove the 'high priority' label anyway since it probably won't block release if it's not in
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady ok
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I saw we remove quick-win from 1947 since we have no response from the contributor
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> (removed it)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok i'll merge 1949 now
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We have 5 min left for the scheduled call. Conversations can continue in dev after the meeting ends.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Personally, I would like to push to have a release by May 1.
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> What thoughts do others have?
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> that'd be preferable to May 18, i think, unless we're unable to get some high priority fixes made and tested by then
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> seems that there'll have to be a 6.4 later this year anyway, in my opinion
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Sounds good. I recommend taking a really critical look at what must be in 6.3. (I say that having gotten my priority stuff in already...)
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> This wraps up our scheduled time. If you are able, join @kshepherd in dev.
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> thanks all
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @kshepherd, thanks for coordinating this release for us!
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i will check with @tdonohue about a 6.4 milestone in github so we can start postponing PRs and getting a more curated 6.3 list
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady hah, i'm not sure that i am! i'll keep blabbing about it and posting github links though...
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok, over to dev for me, cheers
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> If you have the ability to create a milestone, I say go for it.
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> See you in dev. Thanks all!

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.