#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-04-25

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[5:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Agenda for next dev meeting, 2018-04-25 20:00 UTC: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-04-25
[5:36] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-04-25 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-04-25
[6:39] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:39] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:39] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:39] -hitchcock.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:39] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:39] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:39] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:17] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:01] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[15:02] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) Quit (*.net *.split)
[15:02] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:02] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) has joined #duraspace
[15:04] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:05] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Dev meeting starting in 10min, agenda here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-04-25
[19:51] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-04-25 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-04-25
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Hi all, DSpace dev meeting is starting <here> now! Quick roll call to see who's here?
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Here!
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> [looks around] Could be a short meeting....
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Hehe, yep...
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> here
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> hi
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ah, a few more! hi @terrywbrady, @jcreel256
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok, i'll just mention the quick reminders posted at the top of the agenda:
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Working+Group - next DSpace 7 working group meeting is April 26 14:00 UTC
[20:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Working+Group
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Entities+Working+Group - next Entities working group meeting is TBD, the wiki page will be updated with details
[20:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace Entities Working Group - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Entities+Working+Group
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Developer+Show+and+Tell+Meetings - Next show & tell is at May 15 15:00 UTC and you can see the last video at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+IDE+Showcase+-+Apr+17%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
[20:04] <kompewter> [ DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Developer+Show+and+Tell+Meetings
[20:04] <kompewter> [ Dev Show and Tell - IDE Showcase - Apr 17, 2018 - 1500UTC - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+IDE+Showcase+-+Apr+17%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady any notes about topic for next show & tell?
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks for asking.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> The theme is using Docker for DSpace development.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will grab a link to the page.
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+May+15%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
[20:06] <kompewter> [ Dev Show and Tell - May 15, 2018 - 1500UTC - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+May+15%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @pbecker and @tom_desair will be presenting.
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Very cool. If anyone hasn't checked out these webinars I'd really recommend looking at the previous video recordings, good to see what others are doing and learn new tips and tricks along the way
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Also, I will be looking for topic suggestions for June
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> OK, moving on
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Reminder that there's a DSpace 7 community sprint May 7 - 18, anyone is welcome to participate, more info and signups at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:08] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Doesn't look like there are any other DSpace 7 updates from last week (see the agenda for some links to status spreadsheets etc)
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Does anyone have a topic to raise before we talk about 6.3?
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> OK, guess we'll move onto 6.3 update then
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> The release target date has been pushed out a bit, now that we have testable code for the ORCID API fixes (refactoring DSpace API/authority to use ORCID API v2) -- ORCID is currently broken so this is a pretty important fix, and it'd be a pity to leave it for 6.4 now that we have a PR to test
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> This ORCID work is currently in a big of a WIP state - JIRA ticket at https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447, an initial PR from atmire at https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2028 and a new repository at https://github.com/DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <kompewter> [ [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447,
[20:16] <kompewter> [ DS-3447 : ORCID v2 integration by benbosman · Pull Request #2028 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2028
[20:16] <kompewter> [ GitHub - DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api: ORCID Java API generated from the official ORCID XSDs (via JAXB) ] - https://github.com/DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> the new repository is the key at the moment: @tdonohue has created this so we can publish a maven artifact for the org.orcid.* models, since ORCID doesn't publish a maven artifact themselves
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> There's a huge pile of classes generated from ORCID's XML Schema, that don't need to be in DSpace proper.
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> using orcid-jaxb-api and a selective set of commits from #2028 (the commits that don't just drag in org.orcid.* stuff), this should be testable right now, but I think it'll be a lot easier for all of us once we have an updated / cleaner PR
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @mwood yeh good point, there are lots of models and classes that we don't use, especially since our current use case for orcid is pretty narrow
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> might be good to cross-reference class usage with DSpace-CRIS as i assume that uses a bit more (it does orcid the proper, oauth way iirc, plus the extra modelling) and it'd be nice to align with that for future work perhaps?
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> So that's where DS-3447 is at right now... would be good to get more eyes on that and I think we'll see a smaller PR that helps to specifically test with the new jaxb repo soon
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Other than that, I've been trying to get through a few smaller quick wins and bugs, when I've had time. @terrywbrady has been doing a lot of reviewing so there are some PRs that can be merged with just one more +1 and i'll be trying to get through the remaining list today
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'll hang out in dev to look at some 6.3 quick wins with people if anyone is interested
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> looking like new release date will be around May 21 - gives enough time for ORCID work to be completed and tested, and for people busy on the DSpace 7 sprint to have a test after the sprint is over
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Anyone else have 6.3 updates / questions / concerns / topics?
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> None here. I will likely have limited time to focus on 6.3.
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Fair enough :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Anyone have anything else at all they want to talk about? Apart from the ORCID PR I already mentioned, there's just one other JIRA issue tabled for discussion (the 5.6 eperson SQL issue)
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @mwood, i saw you were raising some questions about our doco for auth policies?
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Heh, you beat me to it. Yes, I wanted to point someone to the documentation on how policies work, and there wasn't any (unless I missed something).
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We have Authentication and Authorization, which is all authentication and special cases like embargo. We have System Administration, which has nothing to say about policies.
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i;m just having a look now, yeh..
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> If there is nothing else, I'll read code, experiment, and write something.
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> nothing about collection/community management generally - roles and groups and workflow etc, as well as specifically about policies for all object types
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I do not ever remember reading an overview. I learned by experimentation.
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, I'll see what I can write up.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I was surprised to see this in dspace.cfg: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace/config/dspace.cfg#L253-L299
[20:33] <kompewter> [ DSpace/dspace.cfg at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace/config/dspace.cfg#L253-L299
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have never manipulated these settings.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Wow, must remember that.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yes.. that stuff is at least documented: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Configuration+Reference#ConfigurationReference-DelegationAdministration:AuthorizationSystemConfiguration
[20:34] <kompewter> [ Configuration Reference - DSpace 6.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Configuration+Reference#ConfigurationReference-DelegationAdministration:AuthorizationSystemConfiguration
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Great, thanks!
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> At one time, we developed a workflow for introducing new custom themes (so that we did not have to synchronize a software release and a content release). It involved provisioning a collection handle in a hidden community, coding a custom theme, and then moving the collection to a visible community. This stuff can get tricky and it is hard to explain to others.
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'll work out some of this and add a Community and Collection Administration section. I imagine that it will grow quite a bit....
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i've seen a bit of confusion in the past re: default_item_read, and other inherited defaults like that.. some good documentation will definitely help
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, thanks for confirming that I didn't just miss all that.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I was also surprised to find no way for a collection editor to adjust policies *during workflow*.
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Side question, how is access granted to the duraspace wiki? Does Tim need to do that?
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @mwood i was thinking about that.. and my assumption was that it'd be too confusing for users to not realise the target collection would often overwrite those policies anyway? but are you talking specifically about policies that are needed *while* the item is in workflow?
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady i assume any admin can... it used to be plain old self-registration until spammers upset the apple cart. maybe it's just tim though - is there an account waiting for approval right now? i could check to see if i can do anything about that
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Actually, the account I was curious about must exist. You can disregard the question.
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> We have a collection in which we need to prevent some, not all, bitstreams ever being accessible. (We're using Request a Copy to deal with them manually, for legal reasons.) So it would be nice to catch a submission in workflow, set the bitstream policies as needed, and then approve. What we're going to do instead is to set the default policy to no access and then have editors open access to the other bitstr
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @terrywbrady now that i think about it, the wiki might be one case where committers aren't automatically proper admins, since there are spaces for each duraspace project
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I think that probably is the case. I know we pay by user for Jira licenses, so I bet the Duraspace folks may need to manage it.
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @mwood i see. have you looked into curation tasks with the 'item archive' event hook? i've done some stuff like that in the past, inspecting item metadata and bitstream descriptions as items are archived and the curation task is called, and doing fancy per item policies that way - though, the policies would not have been applied *during* workflow, only on archive
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Hmm. I am able to edit permissions on the DSpace space.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I just need to have the policies set at the point that the Item is installed in the archive. But we may be legally required to exercise manual control of these bitstreams.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> There may be no good way to mechanically distinguish the bitstreams that we must restrict. I'll have to talk to the collection admin.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> @terrywbrady see "Space tools," lower left corner.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I probably cannot edit other spaces.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> The "legacy embargo" process which I would like to call the "named embargo policy process" could be helpful as well. It allows you to add a metadata element that triggers automatic embaro polcies on items.
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Embargo...that's an idea. Thanks! Will check it out.
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ah yep, i see a dsdoc-gardener group in the DSDOC spaces too
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> well, we're almost at closing time... the only other issue on the agenda is this one, and perhaps it was discussed last week? i don't know much of the history here, or whether it affects anything in 6.x or master
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3649
[20:54] <kompewter> [ [DS-3649] no longer can select eperson after upgrade to 5.6 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3649
[20:54] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3649 ] - [DS-3649] no longer can select eperson after upgrade to 5.6 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> The error message sounds familiar.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> going by the last comment, looks like a typo in the SQL params?
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> (m_text_value vs the proper m.text_value in previous versions?)
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i assume hibernate fixed this in 6.x anyway since all the queries got re-implemented
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> but will be a nice fix for 5.9
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> OK, well, we're out of time now. I'll just note that I'll hang out in dev for a bit, if anyone has 6.3 questions / issues / time to help review
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> Thanks all!
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I have to leave. Thanks all!
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks. Have a good week.
[21:06] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.