#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-05-02

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[2:12] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[2:13] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[3:14] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[3:14] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[4:29] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[4:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[4:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[4:35] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[5:33] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[5:33] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[6:50] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:51] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:51] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:51] -tolkien.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:51] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:51] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[7:54] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[7:54] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[8:56] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[8:56] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[9:30] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[9:32] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[10:03] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[10:04] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:37] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[11:37] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[12:17] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:29] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)
[14:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: Late reminder of the DSpace DevMtg coming up at the top of the hour (~10mins) here . Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-05-02
[14:51] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-05-02 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-05-02
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DevMtg time. Let's do a quick roll call to see who is here
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Here!
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> here
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> brought my laptop into another meeting - lurking
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Welcome all. Before we get started, just a quick note that I have a mtg just after this on (DSpace Steering), so I'll have to leave promptly at the top of the hour
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In terms of quick updates... DSpace 7 Team meets again tomorrow (14UTC). The first DSpace 7 Sprint starts *next week*. Signups are still welcome, though signup soon please! https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[15:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[15:04] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The Entities WG is "on hold" briefly, pending discussion in today's DSpace Steering Mtg about next steps. Will have more to say about that next week
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think that's basically it for the updates related to DSpace 7 stuff. Obviously, OR2018 is approaching quickly (June 4-8). So, after the Sprint, all activities on DSpace 7 are moving towards OR2018 DSpace 7 workshops & the update/demo talk during the conference
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd (who is surely asleep -- or should be right now) added some updates on DSpace 6.3 to the agenda. The target release date is now May 21
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> One of the key outstanding PRs (that 6.3 is waiting on) is ensuring we can support ORCIDv2 API. So, we need more eyes/testers/help on DS-3447 / DSPR#2039
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:07] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2039 ] - DS-3447 : ORCID v2 integration (using DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api) by tdonohue
[15:08] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I've been doing my best to try and help this work along, but my time is May is much much harder to come by. So, I could really use help getting this work "finalized" (and I may even need to hand this off to someone else, if this doesn't get finalized quickly, as I have a busy mid-to-late May)
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I see @kshepherd did some testing on the PR and noted issues...I'm not entirely sure I even know how to solve those myself, as most of this code was written by Atmire. But, if I get a chance this week, I'll try and dig a bit more myself.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> if anyone else has time for this, I'd definitely appreciate help here ;) I'm no ORCID expert either, but it seems like an opportunity for several of us to learn / improve the code.
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there other topics/PRs/tickets that folks here want help on for 6.3? I don't have any others in front of me (or on the agenda), so definitely mention others of importance (to you)
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I will take a look and see if I can figure out where the missing configuration should be.
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have been working on clearing time on my calendar for the sprint, so I have not done any 6.3 work in the past week.
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Looks like I need to do some documentation to close out DS-3832
[15:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3832 ] - [DS-3832] GeoIP-API(com.maxmind.geoip:geoip-api) needs to be replaced by GeoIP2 ( com.maxmind.geoip2:geoip2 ) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: thanks. Not entirely sure whether there is a missing configuration or not...so the first step may be to figure out if something is mis-configured or missing ;)
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yep, 3832 needs docs. The basic things that need documenting are in the Ticket comments
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's mostly just configuration doc updates...but likely a few notes need to be added into the Upgrade procedure to ensure folks remember to update their configuration to point at the *new* GeoCity file, etc
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK, thanks!
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so it seems I've breezed through what is on the agenda here. Are there other tickets/PRs that folks would like more eyes on?
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so I'll note that it seems we still have 12 open "quick win" PRs flagged for possible 6.3 inclusion: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.3+
[15:21] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22+milestone%3A6.3+
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Some of these already have +1 approvals from someone. I'm going to list those here to see if we can get these merged
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#2012 is at +1
[15:22] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2012 ] - DS-3877 Trim bitstream name during filter-media comparison by KingKrimmson
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This looks tiny/obvious to me. Adding my approval. Looks like it'd just need merging & porting to `master`. Any volunteer to do the merge/port?
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'll do that.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @mwood!
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#2000 is at +2 already. Just needs merging & porting to `master` as well
[15:25] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2000 ] - DS-2862 Fix legacy embargo checks on DSpace 6 by minurmin ¡ Pull Request #2000 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#1891 is also at +2 already. Just needs merging & porting to `master` as well
[15:26] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1891 ] - DS-3769 Set the right hibernate property of … by marsaoua · Pull Request #1891 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tdonohue notes I'm going to add a list of PRs to merge & port to 6.3 status page
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I just found a small bug. It would be great if some DSpace committers could add a comment if this is obvious enough to just being merged as I’m unsure how to test.
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2044
[15:30] <kompewter> [ DS-3901 by pnbecker · Pull Request #2044 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2044
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker: It might help if you can point to the corresponding code in 5.x. I'm assuming this behavior *changed* in 6.x (on accident)?
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> No, it is the same in 5.
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> sorry, not the same
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/versioning/DefaultItemVersionProvider.java#L54-L62
[15:34] <kompewter> [ DSpace/DefaultItemVersionProvider.java at dspace-5_x · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/versioning/DefaultItemVersionProvider.java#L54-L62
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I added something while giving submitters the chance to add new versions.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, I see this code was added in https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/896
[15:36] <kompewter> [ DS-1814: Allow submitter to create new version of their items. by pnbecker · Pull Request #896 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/896
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I added a comment to the PR with the link to DSpace 5.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tdonohue right.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It does sound/look fishy to me. I don't know this code well, but you wrote it yourself ;) So, I would trust you here. So, I'll give it a +1 via code review
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> But if you just look on the logic, it seems odd. If the previous version is not in archive OR the version to delete is a work*item….
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> great thanks.
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Maybe @kshepherd and @terrywbrady can take a look if this can still make it into 6.3
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I was working on other parts of that code and just found this strange.
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> While we were talking, I just figured out how to query for PRs that are already "approved" (i.e. at least at +1) and scheduled for 6.3. I added this canned query to the top of our 6.3 Status wiki page:
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved+
[15:40] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved+
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I wonder why the test isn't (previous item is not archived and item to be deleted is archived).
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, that's a GitHub query we can use to find PRs to quickly merge :point_up:
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @mwood also a good idea. Will you add a comment?
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> In a side channel I just raised the question whether new PRs should already be labelded 6.4 or if I should continue to label them 6.3 and ping @kshepherd. I admire the time he puts into 6.3 and don’t want to add to much requests. On the other side we still may be able to add some quick-win bug fixes. Any ideas about that?
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @mwood thank you!
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I have been marking my latest PRs for 6.4. I have not had anything urgent enough to try to push it into 6.3.
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> At this point, if there is a way to work around a problem, or it can be ignored in the short term, I would let the fix wait for 6.4.
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd try and limit what we are adding into 6.3 at this point. If it's really a quick win (i.e. small change, easy to test), I'd say it's likely OK to add to 6.3 milestone (though I'd defer to @kshepherd if he feels otherwise).
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If the fix is larger, it should be for 6.4 -- unless it's a "blocker" or very significant bug.
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If anyone here does find time this week to do some quick merges/ports, we have 8 PRs scheduled for 6.3 that already have some sort of approval (might need another +1 though). So, these are candidates for quick merger & porting to master: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved+
[15:49] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved+
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It was 9 a moment ago, but I quickly merged one that was really obvious ;)
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there any other topics / PRs / Tickets that folks here would like to bring up? We have about 10 mins left, if so
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I have one question regarding the upcoming DSpace 7 sprint. Do we assign tickets and coaches on the first stand-up next Monday?
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Coaches won't be "assigned", they are just there for help (but you are expected to be proactive in asking for help). Tickets will be assigned on Monday, but if you see a ticket you'd like to "claim" you can do so immediately (or add a comment to the ticket requesting it).
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But the tickets are still being "finalized" (should be final tomorrow in DSpace 7 mtg). So, a few more still may appear in the next day or so.
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Does that clarify? This is our first Sprint, so I'm sure we'll learn a lot in the process here ;) But, definitely let us know if you have questions or suggestions
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> looking forward to it. :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> me too!
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, as it's nearly the top of the hour (and I have to run to another mtg), I'm going to close up this mtg for today. Obviously though, if questions / issues come up, ask on Slack!
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks all!
[20:43] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.