#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-05-09

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:43] -verne.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:44] -verne.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:44] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:44] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:44] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[8:24] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[8:24] * DSpaceSlackBot1 (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[8:40] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[10:55] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[10:55] * Disconnected.
[10:55] -weber.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[10:55] -weber.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[10:55] -weber.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[10:55] -weber.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[21:18] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[21:18] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[21:18] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[21:18] -orwell.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
2:55:07 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Late reminder that we do have a DSpace DevMtg today at the top of the hour (in 6mins). We'll likely keep it short & mostly specific to DSpace 6.3 pending release (cause of the DSpace 7 Sprints going on this week). Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-05-09
2:55:09 PM CDT kompewter: [ DevMtg 2018-05-09 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-05-09
3:01:12 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: : It's DSpace DevMtg time. Let's kick things off with a quick roll call to see who is here
3:01:20 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: here!
3:01:26 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: here
3:01:26 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: lurking
3:01:33 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Hi.
3:02:57 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Cool, a nice crowd. So, first off, I'm noticing/realizing (just now) that it is a tad awkward holding a DevMtg at the same time as a DSpace 7 Sprint (in that I'm answering questions in dev-sprint and jumping back here to type again). So, if I go quiet, that's why ;)
3:03:16 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: In any case, let's dive in...I'll likely keep this meeting a bit specific to 6.3 overall
3:04:44 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Quick updates... The Sprint is going on (but you all know that). The cool thing is we have 8 participants, and most of them are newer folks. Primarily based in USA & Europe though. If you are interested in who they are, the list is here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints#DSpace7CommunitySprints-ParticipantSignups
3:04:47 PM CDT kompewter: [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints#DSpace7CommunitySprints-ParticipantSignups
3:05:23 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Beyond that, not much to report on the DSpace 7 side...we'll be sprinting & then prepping / preparing for OR2018
3:06:41 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Our next Dev Show & Tell is next week (May 15). Agenda is Docker related, see: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+May+15%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
3:06:43 PM CDT kompewter: [ Dev Show and Tell - May 15, 2018 - 1500UTC - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+May+15%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
3:07:25 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I don't think I have anything else to mention right now...so, I think we can move along to DSpace 6.3 status / updates.
3:07:36 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I have been pleased to see that the video from the last show and tell has been useful for sprint participants!
3:08:00 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: After the next show and tell, I will be looking for topic ideas. Send me a message if you have any good suggestions.
3:08:56 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady: we also could be in search of Dev Show & Tell topics at OR2018
3:09:19 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Good idea.
3:09:25 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: (Which reminds me... writing a note to myself to *mention* Dev Show & Tell at OR2018)
3:11:09 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Ok, so on to 6.3 updates. @kshepherd, would you be interested in leading this segment? I feel like I'm loosing track of what is left in 6.3 (but I know you have it well in hand)
3:11:25 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: hah
3:11:55 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Yep sure :slightly_smiling_face: Well... we're about at the last push for getting PRs merged into dspace-6_x branch, to give time for testing before a May 21 release
3:12:33 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've got a list of PRs I was hoping to get some eyes on at today's meeting if we have time as they just need another review to make it in
3:13:22 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I think we have the remainder of the meeting (though I'd look to everyone else hear to speak up if you feel going through 6.3 PRs is not the best usage of today)
3:13:23 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've also added a list of some general tests we should think about once dspace-6_x is stable for a week or so before May 21
3:13:37 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status#DSpaceRelease6.3Status-Suggestedpre-releaseapplication(usability,functional)testsforDSpace6
3:13:38 PM CDT kompewter: [ DSpace Release 6.3 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.3+Status#DSpaceRelease6.3Status-Suggestedpre-releaseapplication(usability,functional)testsforDSpace6
3:14:28 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Do those tests look good for all? if you'd like to help out with them / if one is your area of expertise, etc., perhaps you could add your name to it or ping me in a /msg so I can get in touch once we're ready for a pre-release test?
3:16:23 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Those seem good to me. I'd be willing to help test (in general). We also can do a early deploy to demo.dspace.org if that helps in any of this testing
3:16:24 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I added my name next to legacy rest. I can do Solr and CSV as well. But, I will be out of the office the week of 5/21.
3:17:03 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Cool, thanks both. Yep demo site might be good, and I don't mind throwing up an amazon box for a week either
3:17:50 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: So other than that, I just wanted to note that help is still wanted / appreciated particularly in final reviewing/testing PRs and writing documentation for merged code that needs it, and to go through a list of PRs that need another +1
3:18:03 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: demo site update would be one way of also testing the Flyway upgrade / migration parts. I might be able to shave off time to do that in the next week
3:18:39 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: If we have time for that, I'll start listing :slightly_smiling_face: But will give others a chance to discuss other topics / agenda first in case that's not the best use of meeting time
3:19:12 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Lets go through the list quickly.
3:19:17 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @tdonohue also, I'll be in touch soon to refresh myself on the release procedures, sonatype stuff, checking my keys are still valid, etc... is the wiki doc up to date?
3:19:47 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd: yes, the wiki is as up to date as it can be. We update it every release ;)
3:19:53 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: OK. List of PRs that need a +1
3:19:55 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DS-3447 https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2039
3:19:55 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
3:20:00 PM CDT kompewter: [ DS-3447 : ORCID v2 integration (using DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api) by tdonohue · Pull Request #2039 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2039
3:21:06 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: This has been tested by me and Tim, and we think it's given ORCID functionality back to DSpace authority as it was in the ORCID v1 API. There are further improvements that can be made, and I still haven't heard back from atmire as to how their constructors/beans/spring configs are working compared to old (there seems to be some config stuff missing), but I think we should Just Get It In, personally
3:21:40 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: One quick thing to note on #2039 is that it is dependent on merging & releasing https://github.com/DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api/pull/1 I can release this, as needed, but I'd like someone else to +1 that PR (it's code is used by #2039, so it's already being tested)
3:21:43 PM CDT kompewter: [ ORCID 2.1 generated source based on ORCID-Source XSDs on 2018-04-23 by tdonohue · Pull Request #1 · DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api/pull/1
3:21:49 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Ah, yes, good point
3:22:34 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've just added my approval to the jaxb PR
3:22:38 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: If others are ok with my moving this forward, I likely can find time to do so. I've just been waiting for someone to make the merge button "green" ;)
3:22:49 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Thanks @kshepherd
3:23:16 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: The PR is big, so it is difficult to do a quick spot review.
3:23:55 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady Yes. So, in lieu of a full review... if you/others support merging #2039 in general then I'll just do it after the jaxb is merged -- it works, and it doesn't work in 6.2, and it doesn't break authority. So, low impact in my opinion.
3:24:33 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Yes, I support the idea. I just have not had time or focus to review it.
3:24:35 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady: That `orcid-jaxb-api` PR is all auto-generated code (I didn't write a line of it). But, I think we've sufficiently proven it "works" via PR#2039
3:24:53 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: So long as it's better than doesn't-work-at-all (what we have now) that seems right.
3:25:34 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: yep. And we can re-generate the code (to fix it) if necessary in the future. How that code was auto-generated is documented in the README: https://github.com/DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api/blob/master/README.md
3:25:36 PM CDT kompewter: [ orcid-jaxb-api/README.md at master · DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/orcid-jaxb-api/blob/master/README.md
3:25:44 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Cool. Well we'll work on that over the next day or so, and get it merged.
3:25:54 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Next item...
3:25:56 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DS-3507 https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2038
3:25:57 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3507 ] - [DS-3507] Search query escaping is not accurate - DuraSpace JIRA
3:25:59 PM CDT kompewter: [ DS-3507: Fixes the issues with the colon and Solr special characters … by marsaoua · Pull Request #2038 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2038
3:26:35 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've tested this successfully (and reproduced initial issue), but would be good to get another +1
3:28:03 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: :cricket:
3:28:19 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Next item...
3:28:21 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DS-3783 https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2053
3:28:23 PM CDT kompewter: [ [DS-3783] Change http return code when required parameter is missing by terrywbrady · Pull Request #2053 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2053
3:28:26 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3783 ] - [DS-3783] Endpoints throws the wrong exception when mandatory parameters are missing - DuraSpace JIRA
3:29:02 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I chipped in with a comment here, maybe @tdonohue and @mwood and @jcreel256 have ideas re: best response code?
3:29:07 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Sorry, 2038 also took a lot of time to review and it is difficult to digest in this time. Can @pbecker review it?
3:29:47 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: This one is for master. I am hoping that @bollini will respond.
3:29:56 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 2053 is for `master`, not for 6.3?
3:30:06 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady I can. But Marsa Haoua is a colleague of mine and I prefer to have these things reviewed by someone else.
3:30:13 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've requested review by @pbecker , just asking here because if these things don't get in very soon, then they will be moved to 6.4
3:30:18 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 2053 is an early PR for the DSpace 7 Sprint... so I think it can be ignored for 6.3
3:30:31 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker at this point we are probably after a +1 from wherever we can get it :slightly_smiling_face:
3:30:44 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker your review would be better than delaying imho.
3:30:45 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: sorry, I cannot follow. Which PR shall I review?
3:30:47 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @tdonohue @terrywbrady sorry, misunderstood 2053, thought it was legacy rest just opened against master
3:31:00 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2038
3:31:03 PM CDT kompewter: [ DS-3507: Fixes the issues with the colon and Solr special characters … by marsaoua · Pull Request #2038 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2038
3:31:11 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd: nope, take 2053 off your list ;) It's for the new DSpace 7 REST API
3:31:23 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok, next 6.3 item then
3:31:25 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2048
3:31:27 PM CDT kompewter: [ [DS-3902] Upgrade Flyway version to resolve dspace install issues on Windows by terrywbrady · Pull Request #2048 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2048
3:31:46 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: terry has tested on windows, i've tested fresh_install and database migrate on ubuntu
3:31:59 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: if there are other migration conditions / ant tasks i should test in linux, i can do that
3:32:03 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: otherwise i say let's merge it
3:32:13 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd @terrywbrady can I merge 2038 after a positive review?
3:32:13 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I am new to Flyway... are there any risks we should consider?
3:32:26 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker yep! :slightly_smiling_face:
3:32:33 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd you tested it. right?
3:33:02 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker yes, i've tested PR#2038 successfully
3:33:07 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Action: pbecker is happily going to review #2038
3:33:43 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: RE:2048 The one risk to Flyway upgrades is that all Flyway upgrades are not equal... Flyway sometimes adds in new features or version incompatibilities in new releases. So, we might want to verify in going from Flyway 4.0.3 -> 4.1.2 that we are just getting bug fixes
3:34:33 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Since it's been tested to work, it sounds like it should be a "safe" Flyway upgrade. But I know (for example) that in upgrading from Flyway v3 to v4, we actually had to change some of our code (in minor ways)
3:35:22 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Does this help? https://flywaydb.org/blog/flyway-4.1.0.html
3:35:23 PM CDT kompewter: [ Flyway 4.1.0 Released - Flyway 4.1.0 - Flyway by Boxfuse • Database Migrations Made Easy. ] - https://flywaydb.org/blog/flyway-4.1.0.html
3:35:30 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok i've added that comment to github convo
3:35:39 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: And it looks like the Flyway 4.1.0 release notes say there are new features & one "incompatible change": https://flywaydb.org/documentation/releaseNotes#4.1.0
3:35:41 PM CDT kompewter: [ Release Notes - Flyway by Boxfuse • Database Migrations Made Easy. ] - https://flywaydb.org/documentation/releaseNotes#4.1.0
3:37:10 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I'm not sure we use any of the things changed in 4.1.0, but I admit this makes me a tad nervous to push this in in a minor release... has anyone else verified this "fresh_install" behavior that was hit in DS-3902? Do we need to rush this into a minor release?
3:37:14 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3902 ] - [DS-3902] Flyway failure on fresh dspace-6_x install on Windows - DuraSpace JIRA
3:37:36 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I am OK to hold it.
3:38:14 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: (and FWIW, I'm not sure 3902 is a "Windows bug". The fix that we found, which mentioned a similar error elsewhere was not a Windows fix)
3:38:15 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: If the issue I encountered was truly windows specific, we could refer others to this patch if they encounter the issue. I would like to have seen someone else reproduce the error.
3:38:45 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok, sounds like there's enough uncertainty to hold off for 6.4 / more testing and investigation
3:38:53 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: i'll change milestone now
3:39:02 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I'm not sure it is a Windows bug. The fix we found was this Flyway issue: https://github.com/flyway/flyway/issues/1537 (which specifically says it was reported on Linux & OSX)
3:39:05 PM CDT kompewter: [ PostgreSQL: Flyway fails after applying migration containing SET ROLE statement · Issue #1537 · flyway/flyway · GitHub ] - https://github.com/flyway/flyway/issues/1537
3:39:22 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: And, I haven't seen this issue pop up on my end yet...so I'm not sure how to reproduce it yet
3:40:20 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I started with a completely new DSpace instance. Although, I thought that I had recently done that on Codenvy and in Docker and I did not see the issue that I encountered on Windows. Perhaps it is bound to specific versions of postgres.
3:40:51 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: it might be specific versions of postgres. In any case, I think we need more info here, so holding off sounds good
3:40:58 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok. i'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it in time.. for now, let's not push it for 6.3
3:41:07 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Next item...
3:41:08 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2045
3:41:12 PM CDT kompewter: [ [DS-3377] Solr queries too long (change search GET requests to POST) by kshepherd · Pull Request #2045 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2045
3:41:20 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady but it should be simple to aim for that postgres version in docker.
3:41:26 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: forgot JIRA tag sorry: DS-3377
3:41:27 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3377 ] - [DS-3377] Solr query may be longer than allowed by the Web Container - DuraSpace JIRA
3:42:12 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've tested this successfully (though it is my commit) and the issue reporter has tested Solr searches with the very long (16KB) request ,with success
3:42:39 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I'd initially marked it as low priority but it's a pretty clean patch and so if others approve, it might be nice to get into 6.3
3:45:09 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 2045 looks good to me. I haven't had a chance to test it, but the changes seem straightforward
3:47:02 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok thanks. @mwood , i fixed the issue you referred to (parameters not attached in the 'find' method)
3:47:11 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: One remark regarding: DSPR#2038: we might face the same problem in DSpace 7, but the solution in the PR is done directly for JSPUI and XMLUI. The method that is changes, existed already before the PR in both UIs. It would be better to have it in the API, but I’m afraid that is beyond the scope of a reasonable patch for a minor release.
3:47:15 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2038 ] - DS-3507: Fixes the issues with the colon and Solr special characters … by marsaoua · Pull Request #2038 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub
3:47:17 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: perhaps someone could attach a +1 if they're sufficiently happy / have tested
3:48:30 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker yes, this occurred to me too. the Solr service impl is probably the place to be doing special character handling.
3:49:20 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @pbecker if you think a future DSpace 7 fix (in API) for this is likely and once ported to 6.x, would result in double-encoding of values (and therefore, we'd have to revert this patch), then we should probably note that and hold off merge until more discussion
3:50:39 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I think we will have the same bug in DSpace 7 and will have to close it than again. If we add this code now as it is, we have a blueprint for a solution.
3:50:55 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I think i'll note that in github convo now
3:51:04 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: We can decide then if we solve this in angular / JavaScript, in REST or in the backend.
3:51:26 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: definitely not in Angular ;) This should be in REST or Java API layer in DSpace 7
3:51:31 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: whether we move to 6.4 and use the (unmerged) PR as a blueprint, or merge and go from there in DSpace 7, can be decided soon
3:52:50 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I do wish this code was in the API layer, but I won't block it for 6.3. It's a "quick fix", but we should figure out a better place for 7.0
3:53:38 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok, and if we figure out a better place for 7.0 in a way that can be backported to a future 6.4 or 6.5 or something, we'd just revert the commits made in 2038 for 6.3?
3:54:27 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Likely yes, but that question @kshepherd depends on whether the 7.0 "place" is somewhere that also exists in 6.x ;) So, if in 7.0, this ends up at the (new) REST API, then it cannot be backported anyhow
3:54:39 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: indeed
3:54:59 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: ok, we'll note this in PR but not block for 6.3 so @pbecker, if it has your +1 as quick fix, we can still merge
3:55:11 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: only 5 minutes left so i'll stop listing PRs now in case anyone has other stuff to say
3:55:55 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: How many PR's do you have left in your list?
3:56:10 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 3 left in the list i made last night
3:56:11 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: i
3:56:12 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I don't have any other announcements on my end. I'll just make sure to help move the ORCID work forward...and glad to chip in on code reviews, etc (as needed)
3:56:19 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: i'll paste them in dev if anyone wants to comment?
3:56:48 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: if we have time for just one more i'll do that here ;)
3:56:57 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Keep going here. Maybe we can get through them
3:57:07 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DS-3795 https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2032 (master)
3:57:07 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3795 ] - [DS-3795] bump dependency versions - DuraSpace JIRA
3:57:10 PM CDT kompewter: [ [DS-3795] Update jackson-databind due to known vulnerabilities. by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #2032 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2032
3:57:11 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I'm fine with still going
3:57:12 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: this is the jaxbind dep change
3:57:21 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: master PR but would need porting to 6.x anwyay
3:57:39 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: everyone here has already looked at it i think :slightly_smiling_face:
3:58:02 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: i just wanted to note that last night i also tested legacy REST with this dep and had success
3:58:04 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Seems fine to me to merge. I haven't tested
3:58:05 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: so i think we can merge
3:58:18 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: go for it
3:58:35 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: oh, yes, and btw i made a "port to 6.x" label ;)
3:58:55 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: labels labels everywhere (i'm fine with it though)
3:59:09 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: these next two PRs go together, for full end-to-end testing of subscription notifications you'll need both
3:59:11 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DS-3768 https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1890
3:59:14 PM CDT kompewter: [ DS-3768 Fixes the harvest solr parse error by by marsaoua · Pull Request #1890 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1890
3:59:16 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3768 ] - [DS-3768] Solr parse error by harvesting - DuraSpace JIRA
3:59:34 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: this one is pretty obvious - if you check hibernate code and tables, you'll see that it is indeed using the wrong column/param, and the bugfix works
4:00:12 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: oh bother, got the PR numbers mixed up
4:00:23 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: well, this one is the lastModified / location fix
4:00:32 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 1891 was the "obvious" one i was thinking about
4:00:37 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DS-3769 https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1891 (dep on #1890)
4:00:38 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3769 ] - [DS-3769] Error while sending out subscription emails - DuraSpace JIRA
4:00:40 PM CDT kompewter: [ DS-3769 Set the right hibernate property of … by marsaoua · Pull Request #1891 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1891
4:00:58 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I've seen these errors in logs too. 1890 seems like it's had good testing (also from a user). I can give it a quick code review
4:01:28 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @tdonohue thanks - @terrywbrady and I have both tested and approved 1891 so if 1890 passes your code review I can merge both
4:02:34 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 1890 needs a 'partial' port to master (excluding the servlet)
4:02:48 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: 1891 needs full port
4:03:09 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I approved 1890. Yes, these both need porting to master
4:03:45 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Great, thanks
4:03:49 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Well, that was my list!
4:03:52 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: On this PR and several others, I noticed the comment from @pbecker that he is a colleague and is not reviewing the change. What is our regular practice in this situation? I understand that we would not want to merge a change using only reviews from one institution, but is it forbidden for colleagues to add a review to a PR?
4:04:16 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: DSPR#2038 merged.
4:04:21 PM CDT kompewter: [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2038 ] - DS-3507: Fixes the issues with the colon and Solr special characters … by marsaoua · Pull Request #2038 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub
4:04:26 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: if anyone is hunting for more, this link might help: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?utf8=✓&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3+review%3Aapproved+
4:04:42 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: (6.3 open PRs with at least one approval)
4:04:43 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: When we are desperate for tests and reviews, I hate to turn away input from someone.
4:05:35 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady: Colleagues can help review/test PRs. But we should have people from other institution(s) approve the PR before merging. Otherwise, institutions with many developers/committers can do whatever they please ;)
4:06:04 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: So, your idea is correct
4:06:08 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @tdonohue that makes sense to me. Thanks for clarifying.
4:06:43 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I'd still love to see input in whatever form, however... sure, final approval from an independent party, but for anyone out there (even those giant institutions with maaaany committers ;)), don't hold off on a +1 or review or comment or proof of test.. it'll help inform final approval still :slightly_smiling_face:
4:07:17 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd: i agree with that. reviews & testing is recommended from anyone and everyone.
4:07:21 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @terrywbrady @tdonohue expressed one important reason. But there is a second reason: Often Marsa Haoua and I are working closely together to find a solution, even if she writes the code at the end of the day. So I also don’t want to review my own solutions.
4:08:34 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd I often write into a comment that I would approve it, if it wouldn’t be coming from my colleague. So it should be transparent that we are from the same organisation and that I reviewed it/would approve it.
4:09:17 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Thanks for explaining that.
4:09:30 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: yep transparency is always good
4:10:05 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Have a good week!
4:10:32 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Cheers all, may you dream of ORCID and testing quick win PRs when you sleep tonight
4:10:46 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: I'll post occasional reminder links / calls for help in dev
4:10:56 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Yes, have a good rest of the week all! If you care to follow along (or lurk) on the Sprint, feel free to join dev-sprint channel. Though it is a bit more noisy than dev (at least right now)
4:11:05 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: @kshepherd thanks for moving this forward for us!
4:11:25 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: It was fun to have a busy meeting today.
4:11:29 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: And don’t forget about the Dev show and tell next week. Hope to see you all thereQ
4:13:38 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: It seems that the irc logger was not working today: http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-05-09
4:13:39 PM CDT kompewter: [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-05-09
4:13:44 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: Anything we can do about that?
4:14:45 PM CDT mhwood left the room (quit: Quit: Leaving.).
4:16:09 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: hrm , not sure where that's run from. is it normally realtime?
4:17:19 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: It normally is almost "realtime". Looks like the bot crashed. I'll look into it, and perhaps manually copy the notes from here into today's date (it just generates flat HTML for each date)
4:18:30 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: thank you @tdonohue
4:18:32 PM CDT DuraLogBot [~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org] entered the room.
4:18:32 PM CDT DuraLogBot: (notice) This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/
4:19:41 PM CDT DSpaceSlackBot: There he is. DuraLogBot, we missed you!
[21:18] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[21:18] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[21:18] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[21:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> There he is. DuraLogBot, we missed you!
[21:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, the logs for today are not nearly as "pretty" as usual, but I copied my local IRC logs into DuraLogBot's logs: http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-05-09 That'll have to be good enough ;)
[21:33] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-05-09
[21:37] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.