#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-05-16

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:33] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[6:35] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[6:36] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:36] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:36] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:36] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:37] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:37] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:37] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[6:40] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:29] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:40] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[11:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[12:03] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:50] * johnny_b__ (58d8a810@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Reminder that we do have a DSpace DevMtg today (top of the hour, in about 25mins) here. As the DSpace 7 Sprint is ongoing (in second week), this DevMtg will concentrate more on 6.3 release planning, etc: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-05-16
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DSpace DevMtg time! Let's do a quick roll call to see who is able to join us today
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Me.
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> unofficially, I’m lurking
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> quiet crew ;)
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it seems we may be working with a "skeleton crew" today, which is a shame. We'll see how far we can get, and if anyone else shows
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Otherwise, we might end up with a brief meeting today...we'll see
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, quick updates... DSpace 7 Sprint is still ongoing (and seems to be going well, from the feedback I've received thus far).
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As you've likely seen in dev , we are already working on planning DSpace 7 Sprint #2 in coming months. I'd like this scheduled prior to OR2018....if you want to participate, there's a Doodle Poll: https://doodle.com/poll/dve8m6s37si7icu7
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Also, we had another Dev Show & Tell yesterday on *Docker*. Those who were not able to attend can watch the video: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+Using+Docker+in+Development+-+May+15%2C+2018+-+1500UTC
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd recommend watching this one if Docker is of interest (even just for development). I felt I learned a lot, and it's at least inspired me to take a second look at using Docker for development environment in coming months ;)
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, that brings us to 6.3 planning!
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Obviously, @kshepherd won't be joining us, as he's (surely) asleep right now. But, he did not that we are still targeting a 6.3 release next week, on *May 21*, if possible
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> he did *note* that, I mean
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> :slightly_smiling_face:
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> He listed areas that he feels we should be testing (see agenda item 2.b.) on `dspace-6_x` prior to the 6.3 release, as these areas of DSpace all have received fixes in 6.3
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Additionally, we do still have *9* open tickets flagged for possible 6.3 inclusion...all of them seem to simply need reviewers/testing to move along: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Obviously, any that don't get reviewed/tested soon will likely be rescheduled for a future release. So, pleased do step forward & help move any along that you'd like to see fixed in 6.3!
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That's really all that I had for today's agenda. I was glancing at some of these PRs that are still open... I guess we could do some quick reviews of them to see if any can be merged quickly?
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I see quite a few of them labelled "quick win".
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Well, I guess we might as well just review some of these...if we review and decide we cannot move forward, we'll just leave it as-is. Maybe we can at least trim a few off this list
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#2026 is first
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> hm...was expecting kompewter to give the link...must not be in IRC
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2026
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like a simple param rename in XMLUI. SHould we just merge this? It seems reasonable to me
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I don't know Discovery well at all, but I don't see anything that looks wrong.
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It seems to do what the ticket describes: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3894
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I've +1'd it.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We can always let @kshepherd merge this later today..but it seems quite obvious to me
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Looks like @kshepherd means to review it.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yep, I'll leave it for him then
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next is https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1973
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ticket: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3856
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Are there still open issues with this patch?
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It looks like it now builds properly. My comment on this PR was just saying that Travis didn't like it. That seems fixed now
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Ah, I see the added commit now.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Nothing jumps out as "bad" here, but it seems like we should verify the newly added `ITCommunityCollection` test *fails* before the fix is applied.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The fix itself looks like a relatively minor refactor of existing code...and that refactor seems reasonable.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll go ahead and give this a +1 via code review. I think it's right, but I'd like to see a test of it (from someone)
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I'll note that in my comment)
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> done.
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next up, https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1910
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ugh, PR includes a lot of code realignment
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> With tabs....
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think the "gist" of this patch is really just the new `getBundles(name)` method. Everything else seems to be code realignment
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, to me, this still seems reasonable. But the PR itself is quite messy
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It's also going to need some bracket changes if it is to be brought forward to master.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yep, definitely
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to +1 it, and note that the PR is messy & will require refactoring for `master`
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> done
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Sorry, still trying to figure out what this has to do with authN.
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Hmmm, "assignee @hpottinger". Any thoughts?
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think it's the last comment here: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3310
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think what that final comment is saying is that a code refactor in 6.x introduced a bug in SWORDv2
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> @kshepherd did threaten to “assign” some PRs to me to review
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I suppose he did
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Though, I'm not sure I fully understand where the bug is, now that I look again
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger: looks like you assigned this ticket to yourself (way back in Sept though): https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3310
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> ow, my brain
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Looks like the patch just cuts down the list of Bundles fetched. That *could* be affected by authZ (not authN).
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I’m the last person who should be working on stuff… I’m swamped with other things (tap tap tap goes Slack, brb)
[15:40] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> FWIW, this `getBundles(name)` method *did exist in 5.x*: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/content/Item.java#L709
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes, this seems a reasonable thing to do. I just haven't figured out how it helps.
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And in 5.x, that `getBundles(name)` method *was used by SWORDAuthenticator*, e.g. https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-swordv2/src/main/java/org/dspace/sword2/SwordAuthenticator.java#L914
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think I'd have to watch this break, to understand the patch.
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, this sounds like a 5.x -> 6.x refactor that had unintended consequences, and the PR is essentially "reverting to 5.x behavior"
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll add notes that that effect in the PR
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> That's helpful.
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'm guessing that there are non-ORIGINAL bundles in an odd state at this point, and getName() has a problem.
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Added comments to the PR to explain this is "reverting to 5.x" behavior
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Best we move on?
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yep
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up, https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1835
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> huh, this looks to already have two +1's
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> oh, huh... @pbecker though noted this should be tested with ORCID. And we just changed ORCID
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Joining late. Hello
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Welcome latecomers!
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I think it is mostly or even only used with ORCID
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Maybe I can find time to test out #1835, since I've been doing 6.x ORCIDv2 testing lately. The good news here is that this PR doesn't show conflicts with 6.x, and the ORCIDv2 code is already merged on 6.x. So, hopefully this'll be fine
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll add this to my todo list. Hopefully I can spin it up and test quickly this week
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Have to run. Bye!
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> moving on then
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next, https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1779
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ticket: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3522
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Seems small. I don't know this area of code well though
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> There's pretty clear test instructions here though: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3522?focusedCommentId=54600&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-54600
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Anyone willing to give this a quick test on 6.x? It seems like a tiny change, but as I don't know this area of code, might be worth a test
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I can test.
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @mwood!
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along, https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1770
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ticket: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3616
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Another that seems small, but could use a test. The reporter gives good examples of past behavior in ticket description...and reporter created the PR
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> That loop on string concatenation, one character at a time, is really inefficient.
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Nope, it's not character-at-a-time, sorry.
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm not sure that's looping one char at a time. I think it's one *term* (in a controlled vocab hierarchy) at a time
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yep, right
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, again, I'm going to add my support here and note we should test. To me though, the PR looks like it should fix the problem described in the ticket
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> done
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We are nearing the top of the hour...3 tickets remain, do we push on through?
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I can continue.
[15:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok, I'll keep it up then.
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1755
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Is +2
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> hey, this is at +2
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm gonna merge this then. I think this is obvious.
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> done
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1730
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> at +1, already tested (by @terrywbrady)
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> And @kshepherd intends to review.
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yep, looks like it. Also looks like this would need porting to master
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I reviewed almost a year ago. I barely remember this one
[16:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm gonna leave this one for now...too many code changes to review live. It sounds like @kshepherd still intends to look closer
[16:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (Others are also welcome to look closer)
[16:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Last up: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1690
[16:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ticket: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3545
[16:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ugh, this is a lot of POM changes.
[16:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This would definitely need testing, and I'm not sure how best to test
[16:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Though, it does come from Atmire, who created these POMs in the first place.
[16:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm gonna leave this one too. Not to sure of priority of this (seems like something most folks wouldn't do much).
[16:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> OK
[16:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we'll stop there. I think we did a good job of getting some extra +1's in here. I'd encourage folks though to go back through and add in more +1's / tests: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3 Currently, most in that list are at +1 status right now
[16:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks for hanging around a bit extra! That's it for this week's meeting, we'll see you next week
[16:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thanks, all.
[16:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Have a good week.
[18:14] * kompewter (~kompewter@ has joined #duraspace
[21:14] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:23] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:49] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.