#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-05-30

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:12] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:33] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) has joined #duraspace
[6:45] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:45] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:45] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:45] -karatkievich.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:45] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:45] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:45] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[11:57] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[12:07] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:23] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[13:36] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: It's DSpace DevMtg time. Sorry, I'm running a bit late here. But, let's do a quick roll call of who is able to join us today.
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> [raises his hand]
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> here
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> In another meeting, but will lurk
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks all, it may be a quick meeting today... lots of folks prepping for OR2018 (next week), self included
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm currently just jumping over here from another meeting...hence the initial silence. But, I'm here now
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, we don't have a specific agenda today, but I wanted to touch base on 6.3 plans / updates, and see if there were any other things that either need "more eyes" or general help
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> At this point, the target date for 6.3 is post-OR2018. It's been delayed mostly from a lack of time to get the release packaged up. But, we plan to pick it back up and finish up the week of June 11
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> There are still 4 PRs that are "open" and flagged for 6.3 that could use reviewers /testers. So, this is essentially the "final call" for that: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3
[15:09] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if there are any of you that are not busy with conference prep, or not attending OR2018, this is a good opportunity to quickly chip in and help us finish up the release!
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Since there's only four PRs here, I'll quickly go through them and note the current status of each...
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#2069 - This is a new PR, but "fixes" a small security issue by disabling full text search snippets by default. Clear instructions on testing this fix are in the associated Issue. It's a very small config change, to disable a buggy feature until we can fix that feature.
[15:12] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2069 ] - DS-3498 quick fix. Disable full text snippets in search results &amp; add warning by tdonohue
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#1999 fixes bugs in Amazon S3 storage where connections are left open. It has some discussion, but to me sounds like it's quite an important fix. We may want to simply give this a code review and trust it (as it comes from trusted developers), unless we can quickly find S3 testers
[15:14] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1999 ] - DS-3870 S3 bitstore leaves connections to AWS open by benbosman
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#1973 fixes an annoying bug, and has an Integration Test to prove the fix. I think this is likely ready to go once someone else approves
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1973 ] - DS-3856 - foreignkey-constraint community2community_child_comm_id_fkey by antzsch ¡ Pull Request #1973 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And finally, DSPR#1910 refactors SWORDv2 back to 5.x behavior. A refactor in 6.x broke some of the authentication capabilities / caused authorization issues.
[15:15] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1910 ] - Fix authentication problem in SwordV2 implementation (DS-3310). by wgresshoff ¡ Pull Request #1910 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Anyone here willing to claim one (or more) of the above :point_up: to help move a ticket along (either via code review or testing)?
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I will look at 2069
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> I can look at 1973
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @mwood and @jsavell-tamu! Much appreciated. We could use the help on moving these forward
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I know @kshepherd will also be taking a close look at these in the coming week too, but he could really use the help!
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Those last few PRs were really all I had to discuss for today. Did anyone else here have topics / questions / comments for discussion?
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> I had a question about an enhancement to the RDF webapp we made recently.
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> We enabled the mapping of Communities and Collections with Pascal Baker's assistance. Is that something that would be useful to DSpace core? https://github.com/TAMULib/DSpace/commit/8318d550b5e84e84365f4d18658a7c9952b23cd4
[15:21] <kompewter> [ enable rdf mapping of community/collection metadata · TAMULib/DSpace@8318d55 · GitHub ] - https://github.com/TAMULib/DSpace/commit/8318d550b5e84e84365f4d18658a7c9952b23cd4
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> *Pascal Becker
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @jsavell-tamu: My guess would be yes, especially if @pbecker was involved. As he originally developed the RDF webapp. IIRC, we may even have a bug ticket open for this feature...
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> Ok, we're in touch with him and waiting on a response. It just wasn't clear if there was a reason why it wasn't activated already, since it was such a minor tweak to get the metadata included.
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I don't know offhand, that last question likely would be best answered by @pbecker. I do know that @pbecker is currently on vacation though, as he's in (or around) Montana already, seeing the sights prior to OR2018. So, I'd expect we should be able to figure this out after OR...or if I remember, I'll try and mention it to him in person ;)
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> Great, thanks.
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case though, it is such a small change, @jsavell-tamu that I agree it seems like something we should just add to DSpace out-of-the-box
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I thought there was a JIRA ticket for this, but I'm not finding it
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jsavell-tamu> I did a JIRA search yesterday, and couldn't find anything that felt like a match.
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yep, I'm not seeing it either...so, either I imagined it, or someone else mentioned this at some point, but we never got a JIRA ticket out of it. In any case, we'll touch base again after OR and try and find an answer
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there any other questions/comments/discussion topics to bring up?
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, a friendly reminder that our second DSpace 7 Developer Sprint will be July 9-20. We have signups already open at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[15:28] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, I'm not hearing any other topics, so we will close up the meeting early today. For those who will be in Montana, I'll see you next week at OR2018! For everyone else, we won't have a meeting next week (June 6), but we'll pick up these meetings again on Weds, June 13 at 15:00UTC>
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I can confirm now that Tomcat 8+ have trouble with our overlay approach.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I was trying to test an instance with a third-party overlay, and could only get it to work by unpacking several JARs into WEB-INF/classes.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Sorry, just thought of it.
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: I'd recommend we get a ticket created to start gathering some information. It sounds like this is something we may have to dig a little on to find a solution. But, at least having a ticket to note it's a "known issue" is a good first step
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I will write the ticket.
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> thanks!
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to jump back to OR2018 prep now... Thanks all, and I hope to see some of you in Montana
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thanks, all!
[15:36] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[16:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I *thought* there was already a ticket for the overlay problem: DS-2437. It's been fixed in 6_x. The instance I was testing is 5.6.
[16:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2437 ] - [DS-2437] Stop relying on alphabetical loading of jars in WEB-INF/lib - DuraSpace JIRA
[17:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: oh, that's right. That's from a while ago. I didn't realize this was the same issue you were mentioning.
[17:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It's *almost* the same: integrating a third-party add-on instead of local code.
[17:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: I'm not sure what we can do to fix a third-party add-on. Won't the developer of the add-on need to fix the addon or fix their installation instructions (to tell you to add in the proper POM code)?
[17:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes. I dunno whether we should mention this somewhere, or consider it clutter and leave it as an exercise for the developer.
[17:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's definitely worth mentioning in that ticket that third-party addons may also have this "buggy behavior". But, I think it's the responsibility of the add-on developer to fix the behavior in a similar way -- it'd be too hard to write up better guidelines as add-ons are not well "defined" and may perform a variety of overlay-type tasks
[17:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I added a brief note of my experience to the ticket and noted that third-party products will need to take similar steps.
[17:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'm still mulling whether we can do overlay in a way that doesn't leave this trap lying around. We do it differently when building WARs than when assembling dspace-api. I suspect that the assembly plugin can be taught to do what I want, but I haven't worked it out yet. I looked at shadowing but it doesn't seem to fit here.
[17:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> The add-on in question actually comes with POM changes to adopt it into the build process. It just does this in a way that doesn't work well with Tomcat 8.
[17:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Anyway, this week is probably not the time for an extended discussion of such stuff.
[17:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think this is an area where we are stretching what Maven is meant to do. We are better off looking at ways to remove this "clunky" way of customizing DSpace...and move more towards "overlays via drop-in Spring code or similar". Plus, some of these concepts will change in DSpace 7, where you won't be "overlaying" the UI in the same way at all
[17:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> My choice would be "learn to use Git and keep your local changes in a different branch," but I guess that won't fly.
[17:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Well, the more common case is fixed in 6_x, so I'll go away and think some more.
[17:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> To be clear, I'm implying above that in DSpace 7 we may want to question (entirely) whether Maven overlays even server a purpose. I'm not sure they will anymore. But, that's a bigger thing to dig into
[17:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Yes, bigger. We really need to think about how to make DSpace more like a product and less like a neat hack that we share with other heavy-duty developers.
[17:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I want that in DSpace! If you make a PR, I‘ll review it the second half of June. I‘m traveling before that, but I think there is no hurry. Right?
[21:00] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.